Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Darko

Educated
Can someone please clarify how crit confirmations work? My understanding was that a 15-20 weapon has at least 30% to hit an enemy, even if they have 100 AC (disregarding concealment, mirror image etc). At least that's what happens with Valerie, crits don't confirm which results in a hit. But in this example with a lvl 8 sword saint attacking a wisp, rolling 16 results in a miss:
MbsXp4z.jpg
Keen is from temporary weapon enchantment if it matters.

I also thought that double twenties are an automatic crit but apparently not?
z7ICsvR.jpg

Efe

Erudite
whenever you crit you roll your attack again, if it hits again then its "confirmed" as a crit and does crit damage, otherwise its just a normal hit.

first image 16 is a crit but attack didnt hit target so critting didnt matter.
second image, no idea

Sykar

Arcane
By the way I just noticed in Trobold that Prot. from Arrows does not seem to work properly? I saw a lot of damage in my log from kobold snipers where there was no damage reduction but they do not have magical bows, just masterwork ones.

Darko

Educated
second image, no idea
Alright, but in the first image after rolling 16 there is no mention of crit confirmation, which makes it seem like the keen property doesn't work? If that's the case I'll just turn it off and save +1 attack.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
second image, no idea
Alright, but in the first image after rolling 16 there is no mention of crit confirmation, which makes it seem like the keen property doesn't work? If that's the case I'll just turn it off and save +1 attack.
There's no need for the confirmation roll, because that 16 is not enough to hit. To thread a critical hit, you still have to hit with your original roll (with the exception of the natural 20: a natural 20 always hits).

The second example is still a mystery though...

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pink Eye a natural 20 on an attack roll always hits regardless of the target's AC. A confirmation roll is still an attack roll, so a natural 20 on a confirmation roll always hits (and, if the confirmation roll hits, you get a critical hit).

Darko

Educated
There's no need for the confirmation roll, because that 16 is not enough to hit. To thread a critical hit, you still have to hit with your original roll (with the exception of the natural 20: a natural 20 always hits).

Got it, thanks! So only twenties can hit a high AC target, regardless of weapon crit range.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
[19:06] Yosharian: Dog is ok tho
[19:06] Yosharian: If you buff him with Transformation he gets 4APR
[19:15] viiito: I´m not sure alchemist have beast shape without CoTW but use alchemist beast shape on a dog to turn it into a smilodon and the dog keeps the iterative attack bite and gains 4 extra claw attacks
[19:15] viiito: with transformation, that should be 8APR

:shredder:
Yes, it's 8 attacks, 9 with Haste. You also have pounce (otherwise, all these attacks would be useless) and every bite triggers a trip attempt. Sadly, this comes online very late, because you need a level 17 Alchemist to be able to cast both Transformation and Beast Shape 4 (and Transformation lasts for a couple of encounters at best). Alternatively, you can also do it with two level 16 Alchemists. This still makes me laugh a lot, because a dog being a far better smilodon than the smilodon itself is the perfect summary of 3.x.

When I tested Beast Shape 4 on animal companions, I also tried to use it on a bear hoping that the Rend damage would trigger on each claw, but it triggers only once per turn.
Not necessarily, cast Beast Shape 4 with your Sorc and then cast Transformation with your Alchemist, boom
Beast Shape spells have a range of personal, so you need an Alchemist to cast them on your animal companion. Maybe it's different with CotW, but I honestly never tried it.

It's a pain, but you can get Share Spells to do it (takes two Feats and one on target, plus have to have familiar or pet).

Daidre

Arcane
It's a pain, but you can get Share Spells to do it (takes two Feats and one on target, plus have to have familiar or pet).
In CotW pet owner could buff his own pet for free with his personal spells. Quite amazing for the Sylvan Sorc for example, to share Mirror Image.

Two feats required to buff any party member with your personal spells - Bonded Mind and Share Spells, but recipient only needs one feat - Bonded Mind.

Last edited:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
There a couple of good tracks in here I don't think I remember listening to. These two are my favorite so far:
uT5Xsh5.png

YUAUNak.png

Of course, "Laughing Lie", "Doomsayer", "He who Leads the Hunt", and "A String that holds the World in Place" are my favorite. They're all the Lantern King's Theme.
>I can post the list of the OST that I downloaded.
Nah it's fine. Thank you though.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The "First World Battle Theme" is very prominent in the game and was in the OST from the start; "The Art of Illusion" and "Varnhold's Dawn" were added at some point, because those 2 are not in my older copy.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
They start with the same sequence, but I wouldn't call them "remixes". After playing the game for a while, I started instinctively recognizing that start as the "shit's about to go down" theme.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Each boss' track shares the same opening buildup, middle transition and coda. But each are split with verses marked with instruments unique to each boss. Tubas for Tartuk & Hargulka, chants for Armag, a cello and clarinet for Nyrissa etc.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
And also, recently added theme "The Art of Illusion" is clearly the battle with the Lantern King. It has the same boss opening and ending.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom