Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Baldur's Gate #BaldurGate: Siege of Dragonspear

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Infinitron, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Stainless Veteran Arcane

Stainless Veteran
    Yeah, well, I've read the whole of Darkest Dungeon thread, and this little shite isn't even entertaining, it's like this on repeat:
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  2. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    This is from some way back in the thread, but it struck me as odd:

I understand and respect the point you're making, but what leaves me puzzled is this: Fallout 2 went on record for 13 years as the game with the largest amount of pop culture references [dubbed PCR's for short] ever. 13 years. (Dungeons of Dredmor has since 'referenced' the crown.) It takes :effort: to shove that many PCR's into a game, but that's precisely what they did. And yet...you don't seem to notice this fact, how Fallout 2 is drowning in PCR's, until you reach Gecko. It's only there that you find a PCR that geniunely triggers you.

Did you hear a 'whoosh!' sound as all the other PCR's that came before it just went completely over your head? In Klamath, The Den, Mordoc and Vault City? The Star Wars references, Monty Python, Magic: The Gathering? You're being bombarded by PCR's by the very first NPC you talk to in Klamath, the first place you visit after the starting location, and that didn't set you off?

All those PCRs are one of the reasons why Fallout 2 is worse than Fallout 1: The quality of writing took a vertical nosedive. There are PCR's in Fallout 1 as well, but they're more subtle, less in-your-face.

And now I'm hearing that BG: SoD has the same level of writing, only now it's done by talentless hacks with political agendas instead of people just cramming whatever they could fit into the game due to the absurd deadline of the game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Stainless Veteran Arcane

Stainless Veteran
    You're forgetting one thing, at least if we're talking about Codex userbase. We have a significant portion of users here who aren't from anglo-countries. Most of those who played on release were teens, and didn't know English that well, not to mention all those sources F2 was referencing. I don't know about potatoland or hueland, but in here in Russia when F2 came out only a small number of people even had dialup. Even if some teen somehow got that that particular line was referencing something, there were no wikis, and lykos, altavista and so on were a dumb search engines, they didn't have google's predict or other advanced functions. So for a significant portion of fans all this shit flew over their heads, I know it flew over mine. And even when we gotten older and more proficient in English and in cultural references, F2 will always have that nostalgia shine which will make us forgive all out-of-place references.

• Brofist Brofist x 19
    ^ Top  
  4. Thonius Liturgist

Thonius
    That whole mess is just a torpedo to sink Obsidian Tranny! Nobody talk about it anymore!

^ Top  
  5. GrainWetski Arcane

GrainWetski
    There's quite the difference between annoying pop culture references and throwing in trannies/other deviants because you want to lecture people about "the real world".

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  6. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Stainless Veteran No, I'm not forgetting that one thing. I'll admit that cultural bias is a factor, but I think that there's simply too many PCR's running about for someone to be able to get that far in the game without coming across one.

^ Top  
  7. aVENGER Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

aVENGER
    This is probably a bug.

Enemies are meant to respawn in a couple of wilderness areas, but the process is supposed to be subtle and non-intrusive. For example, you kill a bunch of wolves in a forest and then go exploring a dungeon for a few days. After you come back, a couple of new wolves may or may not appear in the forest (random chance). If it's not working like that, then it's a bug.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  8. Stainless Veteran Arcane

Stainless Veteran
    You're an Icelander, right? Probably you people have a good school education, at least where it comes to English. Cultural barrier here is much stronger, many people never even played Fallout 2 in English, only Fargus (our most popular pirate translator\publisher back then) version. Which was good, but it definitely threw out many PCR, because to get them all you'll need to be an anglo geek living in 90s.
    And yeah, what you said. Preaching and lecturing is way more immersion-breaking than random PCR. Also you must take into the account that the classical RPGs userbase aren't teens anymore, we're grumpy men, women and trannies in their 30s-early 40s. It means way less tolerance for stupid shit, I mean, I couldn't finish D:OS due to its dumb wink-wink nudge-nudge writing, if I was still a teen playing with a dictionary I don't think it would have bugged me so. But times have changed, as do we all. But Beamdog went backwards, and instead of pushing nostalgia buttons and more of the same (they had one job, really), they'd pushed all the wrong buttons with their maymays, refugee crisis, proselyting trannies and other assorted inanity.

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  9. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Yeah. BG had some retarded PCRs, but it never felt preachy.

Edit: What Stainless Veteran said.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Grimlorn Arcane

Grimlorn
    It would be fun if Obsidian inserted something about SJW type ideology being one of the reasons Good failed and Evil conquered the World somehow. Road to Hell being paved with good intentions and all that. Would be hilarious to see their reactions to that assuming they were smart enough to detect it.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    goons.txt

Trent Oster looked at that and said "Yeah, I want this person writing for my company."

Josh Sawyer broached this subject back in 2002 since life is cyclical.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  12. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    It is working like this (on Insane difficulty):
    I clear the whole first map (first army camp map with the Bridge) of spiders and wolves and the rest. I rest one time and it is night now. I go back to spider spawn point on same map, and spiders all respawned. I clear them. I move one screen away so that area goes into fog of war and come back 5 minutes later and all spiders respawned. I clear them again, I move a bit north on same map, a big group of dire wolves are there that I didn't fight during day (if enemy groups spawn only during day or night that is super cool) and I clear them. Move a bit northwest on same map. When I come back 5 minutes later, dire wolf group is back. I clear them, move towards those spiders to see if they are back and yes, they are back again... (I skip clearing spiders again because it is getting too much now even with all the free XP).

^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Interesting that you failed to anticipate this ahead of time, focusing on Phillip Daigle instead: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ragonspear-twitch-stream.106805/#post-4369200

Did you reload a saved game during those five minutes? That would be vanilla BG1 behavior (particularly memorable after fighting your way to the top of the gnoll fortress)

^ Top  
  14. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    Not that I remember. Outside of those fights I didn't do much , after first night clear of spiders I talked to some dead goblins and after clearing spiders(again) and wolves I went north west to access overland map to see if there is any other maps to travel to but I didn't travel to any, just pressed ESC and went back to finish major side quest on current map before visiting others.

^ Top  
  15. varangos Prospernaut Dumbfuck

varangos
    fixed for ya vatnik.

^ Top  
  16. Space Insect Arcane

Space Insect
    They shut down the devs beg thread!
    They've begun banning people who are rational about this issue and then they let these people be free:

• Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  17. Trodat Erudite Patron

Trodat
    You know, SJW's won't stand a chance if they try to defend their agenda by facts. Reason why things go the way they go.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Well this was a fun read. Gonna have to acquire the original installers for BG, it looks like, if only out of spite.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I'm still waiting for the RPS article written by John Walker :)

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  20. Jarpie Arcane Patron

Jarpie
    Codex 2012 MCA
    FTFY.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Yeah right, that bloke'd die to MCA's Arcanum char who died to wolves.

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    ^ Top  
  22. GrainWetski Arcane

GrainWetski
    There's a story mode which was praised by another RPS idiot. No doubt all reviewers will be using it and then pretend like they can actually say something about the game.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Thal Savant

Thal
    No, I was aware of a number of them. I just mentioned the one that I hate the most. Because the writing itself is so horrible. I remember there's a line in FO 1 or FO 2 where you basically go "say hello to my little friend" and the combat starts. It's stupid yeah and overused, but I can live with that. There's a plausible reason why you could say that. But here the character goes something like. "I'm Gordon of Gekko. That's right, Gordon of Gekko. I believe that Greed is good." And it's a quest giver no less, I think.

The proper way to do pop-culture references is if your game is already not very serious. I don't mind JA2, at all, because the entire setting is an American image of some idealized banana republic. Where everyone pays in dollars and half of population is American and the other half speak good English with a mexican accent. It's an 80s action movie, except its a game. Fallout otoh is "serious" game even if the approach is somewhat humorous. The cheerful 50s scifi should be enough, and for the most part if was executed completely well in FO1. Dogmeat was fine, but with FO2 they ruined the setting for eveyrone except juveniles.

For the record, I loved Star Wars references in Lucasarts adventures, especially Day of the Tentancle and Monkey Island. They're already comedy games, that frequently broke the fourth wall. It belongs there. And as they were Lucasarts games, you kind of knew to expect and enjoy them.
    And as a serious game, Grim Fandago, pulled its noir references extremely well, for example, Casablanca and On the Waterfront.

Intertextuality has its place in enterntainment and art. Tarantino, at least in the past did this pretty well, since most of the audience didn't even notice the obscure films he was honoring. But as a rule of thumb, it should fit the setting like a glove. Basically, if you don't know what is being referred to, you should be able to appreciate the thing in itself. Like Manny's bar and he in the white suit he's in. If you don't know Casablanca, it'll probably feel vaguely familiar. Somehow, the setting feels just right, as it did in Casablanca. For another example, I hadn't seen The Graduate when I played Grim Fandago, but I was somehow aware that there was a "meme" of sorts of a sexy woman removing her stockings as a nervous man was watching. It fit the relationship of Manny and Mercedes perfectly and was pulled of nicely in the game.

Practically no pop-culture reference in FO 2 works like that. You know, if they had played it straight, imo it would be the better game of the two, simply thanks to the sheer amount of content.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  24. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    That storymode is effectively god-mode, gives you Invulnerability and what not. Sounds like in-game god mode. Can't see why any self-respecting game journo who would- oh wait.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)