Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate II Mod Thread

Stella Brando

Arcane
This is what the Sword Coast looks like with all the pieces stitched together:

post-12254-13224707937.jpg

It isn't done perfectly... the bandit camp should be just north east of the Friendly Arm Inn, and the city and major river should be moved one square north.

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm gonna spend some time looking into spells that are given to characters in the BGT mod. I just saw 10 magic missiles hit (each and every one), a flame strike failed vs save, a fear and a hold spell each bypass Viconia's 75% magic resistance and kill her in my game. I've never seen that in the 20 or so years since BG came out.
I refuse to believe those odds exist. :argh:

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
All this talk of playing BG1 in the oryginal engine made me want to give it a go, especially after the frustrating experience of playing EE. It wasn't that bad overall, but balancing issues (fucking proficiencies) really made it feel lacking.

So I wanted to install DSotSC Lilura was oozing on about. However, it seems that NTotSC already comes with DS, although it is not version 1.04 Lilura recommended, but 1.03b. And DS overall doesn't seem to get much praise outside of Lilura's blog. So do you think playing NTotSC v2.01 is a way to go?

Also, it's very annoying how the VAST majority of BG1 mods require BGT or EE to work. No NPC Project for me.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
I was gonna start a thread reviewing IE mods and update as I went through them. I currently have BGT running:
Drizzt Saga (Good but breaks game/2ed rules)
Region of Terror (So campy with the modder doing voice-over larping that it might actually turn you gay, or into Liberace if you're already gay, but overall, good.)
The Sellswords

Problem is that after spending a few week playing up to ROT (and changing all of the audio files to IWD1/2 soundsets and silencing the rest, and modifying/expanding the original Drizzt voice actor so the game is now about tolerable) I've hit a game breaking bug. I know what the answer is, but am not as familiar with NI as I should be, so:

CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO SAVE A .BCS FILE IN NEAR INFINITY?

I need to make some script changes to the RR3702.BCS file within the .BCS folder.
The bug in question is in this thread on SHS: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/22078-bugs-found-in-roterror/ I've made the changes to the file. Problem is that I save it to the override folder and then load it up - and the changes have not been saved.

Its kinda frustrating, and reminded me exactly why I never played mods. Also, based on the replies in the thread - the fix doesn't always work. :argh:

Ulfhednar

Savant
so scs has released a 31 version some months back,and a final 32 version is near release.
https://www.gibberlings3.net/mods/tweaks/scs/

Is what's his name still tweaking the AI/scripts or are they maintenance releases these days?
Version 31 (September 2018)
This version is a maintenance release, packaged by CamDawg, though the work is from others. ALIENQuake had colected a lot of these for BWS, and they were happily (and easily) integrated. Mad Mate also had another huge chunk of fixes, for which we were very grateful.

• CamDawg provided the following fixes:
    • Updated Detectable Spells to the most recent version (v3.95). This should fix some miscellaneous installation errors.
    • Fixed the bug where the party could fail to be transported to the chessboard in Durlag's Tower in EE games
    • Fixed the crash with the druid Osmadi when he tried to shapeshift by removing his cursed item in EE games
  • One of the patches was broken; thanks to Ineth2 for the fix
  • DavidW resolved a conflict between SCS and Wheels of Prophecy
  • K4thos provided several fixes:
    • Integrated many, many fixes to make SCS fully compatible with EET
    • Fix for Viconia in EET for the move NPCs component
    • Fix for unkillable Sarevok in EET game
    • Stopped Mulahey from spawning wave after wave of enemies
  • AstroBryGuy provided the followiing fixes:
    • fixed the missing header for caster_shared.tph
    • fix for joinable SoD NPCs whose DVs do not match their pdialog values
    • fix for flame arrows and Kobold Commando flame arrows
  • burner1024 had a fix for fiends
  • Ilya Ivanov provided a fix for installing fiends without Smarter Mages
  • agb1 provided the following fixes:
    • Fixed for the macro_read_in_spells_per_level failing when mxsplXX.2da had an all-zero column
    • updated the EET compatibility patch for Allow NPC pairs to separate
    • Updated Allow NPC pairs to separate to use the cpmvars libraries
    • Also fixed a bug where Allow NPC pairs to separate would fail on a standalone install due to a missing macro call
    • read_in_NPC_dialog macro is now ToB-aware
    • Removed redundant chunk of code
    • Updated Wheels of Prohecy compatibility code from v4 to v5
  • Etamin and Cahir updated the Polish translation; Bartek and Etamin did as well
  • Graoumf updated the French translation
  • Leonardo Watson provided an updated German translation
  • critto provided a fix for the Reduce the number of Arrows of Dispelling in stores component
  • In addition to providing the updated repo to base this version on, ALIENQuake added a patch for Ascension compatibility
  • subtledoctor provided a fix for SCS choking while pasrsing spell.ids
  • whiteagnus provided a fix for non-English EE games
  • CrevsDaak provided the following fixes:
    • A fix for the player1 translation file for EE games
    • A fix for an install failure
    • A fix for SCS/Wheels of Prophecy compatibility
  • khelben provided a fix for init scripts on Ascension games
  • Mad Mate provided the following fixes
    • Additional fixes to CamDawg's DS update
    • Corrected the script name for Brendan
    • Fixed a bug (identified by kreso) where low level priests could get high level spells if Refinements was installed
    • 'Innocent' druids were skipped in the divine spell patches
    • SCS made copies of liches, but never installed the main lich from which copies should be made
    • The new realistic wolves only worked in Tutu games
    • Abazigal should now spawn Tamah if you use Ascension-based components
    • Some miscellaneous typos that prevented patches from being executed, plus other miscellaneous typos
    • Various assassins were not getting their stuff because of a typo
    • Scripting glitch that prevented Irenicus from acting in Ascenion games at the Throne of Bhaal
    • Schlumpsha did not receive the correct weapon
    • Scripts were added to the wrong hobgoblins
    • SCS was not properly detecting Spell Revisions
    • Melissan adjustments were not properly detecting Ascension
    • The wrong prebuff version of Blade Barrier was being called
    • Dragons were not using their dragon-specific prebuff spells
    • Resolved a conflict involving with Infinity Animations around fiend animations
  • The following components have been deprecated since they're moving to Tweaks Anthology:
  • Make party members less likely to irreversibly
  • Allow BG1 NPC pairs to separate (BGEE, TUTU, BGT)
  • Allow Yeslick to use axes
  • BG1 NPCs go to inns
  • Move BG1 NPCs to more convenient locations
  • Move Boo into Minsc's pack
  • Stackable ankheg shells, winterwolf pelts and wyvern heads (BGEE, TUTU, BGT)
  • Ensure Shar-Teel doesn't die in the original challenge

Xeon

Augur
Anyone used EET? I would like to try and play a full playthrough and it seems BWS was dropped completely or something.

Is there a similar alternative to BWS for the original games or is manual the only way to go now.

Edit:
Man, SCS readme seem to be outdated. There are options that I have no idea what they do and some options are gone or maybe merged.

Like the option to move some items like Vecna iirc was moved to ToB but now its not there and only option I think maybe is related is "slightly adjust the power or location of some too powerful items" so that might be it but iirc there was an option to completely remove an item as well, so will this option also remove that item or what.

Thieves assign skills in multiple of five. Not sure what the hell this means, does it mean that every increase cost 5 points or something because if that's the case then I am not sure what the hell is the point of that.

Last edited:

Strantar

Novice
Anyone used EET? I would like to try and play a full playthrough and it seems BWS was dropped completely or something.

Is there a similar alternative to BWS for the original games or is manual the only way to go now.

There's Project Infinity that's supposed to be working for original games. It's beta still and almost worse than doing it manually. It may still take a while till it's ready for use.
The EET tool is pretty good except of course it's only supporting the EE versions. The EET that comes out of it is better than BGT ever was. Again, not much help if you don't have the latest 2.5... versions of BGEE/SoD and BG2EE.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I was gonna start a thread reviewing IE mods and update as I went through them. I currently have BGT running:
Region of Terror (So campy with the modder doing voice-over larping that it might actually turn you gay, or into Liberace if you're already gay, but overall, good.)
The Sellswords

Problem is that after spending a few week playing up to ROT (and changing all of the audio files to IWD1/2 soundsets and silencing the rest, and modifying/expanding the original Drizzt voice actor so the game is now about tolerable) I've hit a game breaking bug. I know what the answer is, but am not as familiar with NI as I should be, so:

I need to make some script changes to the RR3702.BCS file within the .BCS folder.
The bug in question is in this thread on SHS: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/22078-bugs-found-in-roterror/ I've made the changes to the file. Problem is that I save it to the override folder and then load it up - and the changes have not been saved.

Its kinda frustrating, and reminded me exactly why I never played mods. Also, based on the replies in the thread - the fix doesn't always work. :argh:

You should skip all big mods that there out there for BG/BG2. Every one of them is horrible.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
The Sellswords

You should skip all big mods that there out there for BG/BG2. Every one of them is horrible.

I had a golden rule to never play mods ever, then Lilura caught my attention with her blog and the Drizzt Saga, and I forgot (over a period of 20+ years) how bad they could be. I installed the ones I mentioned, and actually fixed the bug, but hit another game-breaking one after leaving the underdark where the Elven Forest map wouldn't load - so gave up. Xeon As everyone seems to be saying, just don't bother with mods, or take your chances with the EET install order they mentioned - which I would be very sceptical of as well. I was gonna do a run with IWD installed alongside EET, but just don't see the point...especially as it seems to require SOD as well.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron

Edit:
Man, SCS readme seem to be outdated. There are options that I have no idea what they do and some options are gone or maybe merged.

Like the option to move some items like Vecna iirc was moved to ToB but now its not there and only option I think maybe is related is "slightly adjust the power or location of some too powerful items" so that might be it but iirc there was an option to completely remove an item as well, so will this option also remove that item or what.

Thieves assign skills in multiple of five. Not sure what the hell this means, does it mean that every increase cost 5 points or something because if that's the case then I am not sure what the hell is the point of that.

I am currently in a EET playthrough and its fine. Apart from EE content being shit, it works very well. There is indeed a new tool to replace BWS and its called EE Mod Setup. Just google that you should find it.

hell bovine

Arcane
so scs has released a 31 version some months back,and a final 32 version is near release.
https://www.gibberlings3.net/mods/tweaks/scs/

Is what's his name still tweaking the AI/scripts or are they maintenance releases these days?
A bit of an late answer, but the new ver. 32 comes with new features:
- IWD spells (and enemies get them too).
- You can change the difficulty options in-game now, instead of having to choose during installation. Options > difficulty setting > a dialogue window will po up that lets you change plenty of stuff. Very convenient.
- Some features are EE only, like improved spell targeting by enemy mages, or NPC management (if you install it, whenever an npc joins you party, you'll be able to change their class/kit via dialogue).

That's what I remember; haven't finished my playthrough yet (no time atm). But the increased variety of spells thanks to the IWD additions makes combat a lot more fun, especially if you play a druid.

Xeon

Augur
Is there a mod for the original games that makes the traps/spells change their exp values automatically when you switch from BG1 to BG2 part in BGT? For example in BG1 you get low exp for memorizing spells but in BG2 you get a lot more exp.

Similar to the EET Tweaks mod which has this option "Vanilla friendly progressive (with default XP CAP your thief and mage will earn the same XP rewards as in BG1. Later in the game rewards increases progressively to end up on BG2:ToB values when your thief reaches maximum level and about half of the maximum XP for level 9th spells)" I think.

Strantar

Novice
Is there a mod for the original games that makes the traps/spells change their exp values automatically when you switch from BG1 to BG2 part in BGT? For example in BG1 you get low exp for memorizing spells but in BG2 you get a lot more exp.

Similar to the EET Tweaks mod which has this option "Vanilla friendly progressive (with default XP CAP your thief and mage will earn the same XP rewards as in BG1. Later in the game rewards increases progressively to end up on BG2:ToB values when your thief reaches maximum level and about half of the maximum XP for level 9th spells)" I think.

Despite its name, EET Tweaks has components that work on other games as well.
I think this is the one you referred to?
XP for Traps, Spells and Lockpicking
Compatibility: BG2, Tutu, BGT, CA, IWD-in-BG2, BG:EE, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, EET (similar tweak present in BG2 Tweaks)

At least on paper its supposed to work on BGT as well.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So, I've been trying to mod the EE versions into one game with EET, but the EE tool hangs when I try to install other mods from the drop down list. So far it has hanged 3 times, on different occasions, and I've disabled both antivirus and user control as suggested. With the tool I can only successfully install EET.

So the question is this, how do I install other mods for BGEE and BG2EE manually? Do I install them all in the BG2 directory like it was with BGT in the original versions, or do I put the BGee mods in the BGee dir and the BG2 mods in the BG2 dir? How does the EET work exactly?

For instance, I want to install BG1 NPC project and BG2 quest mod, where do I put those mods? Then if I want to install SCS, which applies to both games, where do I install it?

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

So, I've been trying to mod the EE versions into one game with EET, but the EE tool hangs when I try to install other mods from the drop down list. So far it has hanged 3 times, on different occasions, and I've disabled both antivirus and user control as suggested. With the tool I can only successfully install EET.
which tool are you using? remember that BWS is dead.

In the old days with BGT I would just install them one at a time like normal. Not sure EET is the same. I would make a backup cop of the folder and try it.
where do I put those mods
put all mods in the main folder and run them one at a time. this is the old way. again, backup the folder first and test it out.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
which tool are you using? remember that BWS is dead.

I used this : https://baldursextendedworld.com/Install-Tool/
But as I said I can only successfully install the EETrilogy mod.

where do I put those mods
put all mods in the main folder and run them one at a time. this is the old way. again, backup the folder first and test it out.
The question is which is the main Folder? The old BGT mod copied BG1's assets into BG2 and run them through BG2's engine, so there you installed all mods in the BG2 directory. But now Both BGee and BG2ee have the same engine, and EET seems to be installed in both games, so it's not clear where you install the rest of the mods.

In the old days with BGT I would just install them one at a time like normal. Not sure EET is the same. I would make a backup cop of the folder and try it.
It's a lengthy procedure and I've already spent a couple of days trying to figure this out. that's why I'm asking.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

very odd. I just used it and it worked for me installing several mods.

I've even installed the NPC project (even though I don't use it anymore since Dragonspear makes it feel like it doesn't fit).
The question is which is the main Folder?
BG2.

EET isn't installed on both games, it just modded BG1 files before merging them with BG2.
It's a lengthy procedure and I've already spent a couple of days trying to figure this out. that's why I'm asking.
There's one other option you might consider trying if you have access to another PC that it will work on: set it up on anoher PC and just copy the BG2 folder over.

I know, I know, way too much hassle, but I figured I'd mention it.

Anyway, be sure to backup your BG2 folder before modding it so that you don't need to install BG1, BG2 and then EET all over again, should it screw it up.

Shin

Cipher

Odd indeed, I have used that very tool a few weeks ago and it worked like a charm. Only had one hard crash so far; a certain story NPC which you kill in BG1 triggers a chapter transition and the mod didn't like it. Killing that NPC using ctrl+Y did the trick though. Now halfway Spellhold in BG2 and having no problems.

Strantar

Novice

Odd indeed, I have used that very tool a few weeks ago and it worked like a charm. Only had one hard crash so far; a certain story NPC which you kill in BG1 triggers a chapter transition and the mod didn't like it. Killing that NPC using ctrl+Y did the trick though. Now halfway Spellhold in BG2 and having no problems.
I have a large modded EET game done with the tool. No problem to install it. Of course if a mod itself has a bug and it's not yet known it will appear just like in a manual installation. I wouldn't dare to install EET manually, never got that to work.
BTW I have also a BGEE/SoD modded game done with the tool and no problems with that either.

brax

Barely Literate
lilura1 you said in your blog that you play scs ai mod, and here you tell us it's garbage, any explanation why this mod is that bad ?

lilura1 you said in your blog that you play scs ai mod, and here you tell us it's garbage, any explanation why this mod is that bad ?

SCS is perhaps the best mod out there. Do not be dissuaded. I install 40 mods (+/-), though I haven't played the enhanced editions yet. They have some things which depreciate mods like 1 Pixel Productions, widescreem mods, and some fixpacks (to my understanding). Even still, here is a is a mod with installation order guide I posted on Obsidian forums years ago.

Installation Order
------------------
Game 1
Game 2
No CD Hack (Chill-out, I purchased the saga legitimately)
Ascension
Wheels of Prophecy
Baldur's Gate 2 Fixpack

Baldur's Gate Trilogy
Baldur's Gate Trilogy Tweaks

--------------------
Baldur's Gate 1 Mods
--------------------
Baldur's Gate I Restored Narration
Baldur's gate Lightmaps
Baldur's Gate Unfinished Business
Baldur's Gate Mini-Quests & Encounters
(Install any desired NPC mods here)
Baldur's Gate NPC Project
Level 1 NPCs
Sword Coast Strategems I

---------------------------
Baldur's Gate 2 Mods & Else
---------------------------
Baldur's Gate 2 Unfinished Business
Pocket Plane Group Quest Pack
Assassinations
Pocket Plane Banter
iepBanter
Baldur's Gate 2 Creature Fixer
Rogue Rebalancing
Improved Horns
Item Revisions
One Pixel Productions
Baldur's Gate II Sheild Animation Fix
PnP Free Action (Debatable as to being necessary anymore, zero conflicts though)
Wildmage Expansion
WizardSlayer Revision
Ultimate Shapeshifter Mod (Though I have come to prefer Sadras Shapeshifter mod over this)
Spell Revisions
Picky Familiars
PnP Celestials
Sword Coast Strategems II
gMinion
Baldur's Gate II Tweaks
aTweaks

Refinements
eSeries (PC Scripts)
WideScreen
Generalized Biffing
Throne of Bhaal Extender

Again, this isn't entirely relevant due to EE changes, or that some mods like SCS I/II are now one mod. That aside, it's still a very good reference for the best mods which will give you the best experience. The installation order shown here is also very valuable, as it is meticulously debugged for conflicts and priority.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom