Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate & Baldur's Gate II Mod Thread

agris

Arcane
Patron
God the amount of crap you added to your game.. why? For the novelty of installing a bunch of mods?

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
roshan I might put that on the backburner for a bit - Lilura reminded me of the Drizzt mods that I never played, so thought I'd give em a go after these many years, and don't know if I can take that and SOD writing in the EET as well. This mega mod tool caught my eye: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1019108/#Comment_1019108
Apparently compatible with all game versions. Reported on the EET page as abandoned, but the author mentions on the forum that they're continuing. If my current playthrough works, I'll update for any other Drizzt storyfags out there.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
God the amount of crap you added to your game.. why? For the novelty of installing a bunch of mods?

It didn't work with the installer. But I did seperate them into 3 folders of priority, so currently running about 5/8 mods in total from the first folder.

Stella Brando

Arcane
In BG1, would it be possible to make it so that you can roam freely all over a single huge map, without having to load it square by square?

Or would that be altering the game too much at a basic level?

Ever since I first played the game, all those years ago, I've wanted to do this.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
In BG1, would it be possible to make it so that you can roam freely all over a single huge map, without having to load it square by square?

Or would that be altering the game too much at a basic level?

Ever since I first played the game, all those years ago, I've wanted to do this.

Nice one.
I think.
:troll:

Stella Brando

Arcane
I'm serious. I wish I could just walk from Baldur's Gate to Nashkel without loading new squares. Just one big map.

You would feel more 'immersed' - I know we don't like this word - in the world. You would explore more naturally, like a worm creating new tunnels, instead of a janitor cleaning a floor tile by tile. The idea just appeals to me.

hell bovine

Arcane
"Download all mods that you are interested in into a seperate folder named BiG World Downloads. The BiG World Install.bat unpacks all mods out of this folder into your BGII - SoA folder.
Then just below:
"Copy all content into your BG2 - SoA folder".

What actually happens: You download the mods into a folder, name it BiG World Downloads (or the install doesn't work), it extracts all mods into the same folder - I run the game and nothing happens, I then try to interpret the above and copy all extracted files into BG2's install directory;- run the game ... and nothing happens.
I'm pretty sure I got this one to work at some point, though I haven't bothered with this installer since BWS came out. Are you running the installer from your game directory (and not the mod folder)? Also, all the necessary fixpacks etc. need to be in the game directory as well, or the installer won't work properly. And finally you need to launch the unmodded game first and make a save, before attempting to mod it.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Wrong. Only newfags play BG1 without SCS.

Solo'd that shit with a warrior; it's garbage. Original is harder - especially with above-linked mods that don't need BG2 engine.

You have never played any of those BG mods. You are just a lowly BG2 scrub. :lol:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Lilura 'Dems fightin' words missy :argh: If I'm right (memory from when it came out) the Drizzt Saga upgrades the weapon proficiency system - I currently have ROT and Sellswords installed as well so not sure which mod changes it. I've tested it and the Wilderness Samurai Kit does get an extra APR with x5 invested in TWF and x2 weapons equipped. When I can confirm which mod it is (and it is Drizzt Saga), I'll inform you, and maybe you can update your prestigious guide.*

hell bovine I'm kinda looking like a sado masochist at this point, but I know having the mods in the directory doesn't work with the installer. I may re-install and try the installer in the directory as you mentioned, and the download folder the installer specifies (BiG World Downloads) in the directory with mods within.

Just to be clear for anyone that thinks I'm completely autstic and retarded; the purpose of installing so many mods was to go through them all in one playthorugh with as little brain-damage as possible, and to then try and identify which mods were palatable. Which is easier said than done, because most modders don't tell you how to access their content...sooo I'd actually have to work to identify which mod I was playing before knowing which one(s) I had to uninstall for a future mega-mod gaming experience.

It's about suffering short term for long-game future gain.

*Of course, if it isn't the Drizzt Saga - I'm gonna look like a prat.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

Solo'd that shit with a warrior; it's garbage. Original is harder - especially with above-linked mods that don't need BG2 engine.

You have never played any of those BG mods. You are just a lowly BG2 scrub. :lol:

LOL what? The original is a literal cake walk. CLICK HERE to hack everything to death! And the mods (I played all three at one time or another) just add overpowered items to the game. Didn't Darkside even give you another attribute book? The only hard part I remember was a battle in one of them where the enemies used a ton confusion type spells in an enclosed area. Anyway fanfic mods suck and SCS is the only reason the games remain challenging 20 years after release.

hell bovine

Arcane

Well, I've soloed the original BG1 with an enchantress and it was very easy too.

The Dark Side mod brings back some fond memories, the enemy scripts were so bad in that one. Though the no. 1 price goes to a joinable npc, that dark mysterious elf ranger with his spirit wolf dog pet. Once joined, the pet would go hostile and try to murder the ranger, who would murder it in return and then re-summon it, thus locking them both in an eternal struggle... It's the circle of liiifeee...

hell bovine

Arcane
hell bovine I'm kinda looking like a sado masochist at this point, but I know having the mods in the directory doesn't work with the installer. I may re-install and try the installer in the directory as you mentioned, and the download folder the installer specifies (BiG World Downloads) in the directory with mods within.
The mods should be in a sperate folder. The installer itself plus fixpack plus whatever is named as required should be in the game directory.

edit: I think you could also try simply manually extracting all the mods you want - provided they have the typical weidu files, e.g. tp2 - directly to your game directory. Then run the installer from the game directory, perhaps it will recognize the mods are already extracted.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
LOL what? The original is a literal cake walk. CLICK HERE to hack everything to death! And the mods (I played all three at one time or another) just add overpowered items to the game. Didn't Darkside even give you another attribute book? The only hard part I remember was a battle in one of them where the enemies used a ton confusion type spells in an enclosed area.

It's your word against mine. And you're a shitposter lost in the shuffle whereas I just happen to be the leading commentator for BG. No one will agree with you except other shitposters lost in the shuffle (like Octavius), who are butthurt that I have a blog that garners 1 mil views per year.

Anyway fanfic mods suck and SCS is the only reason the games remain challenging 20 years after release.

Again, it's your word against mine. I've written about the encounters in these mods. You haven't. I've also written more about SCS than anyone else except the author of SCS himself. And the author of SCS is a BG2 newbie who doesn't even begin to understand BG. SCS sucks. BG in the BG2 engine sucks.

And you suck, too.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
LOL what? The original is a literal cake walk. CLICK HERE to hack everything to death! And the mods (I played all three at one time or another) just add overpowered items to the game. Didn't Darkside even give you another attribute book? The only hard part I remember was a battle in one of them where the enemies used a ton confusion type spells in an enclosed area.

It's your word against mine. And you're a shitposter lost in the shuffle whereas I just happen to be the leading commentator for BG. No one will agree with you except other shitposters lost in the shuffle (like Octavius), who are butthurt that I have a blog that garners 1 mil views per year.

Anyway fanfic mods suck and SCS is the only reason the games remain challenging 20 years after release.

Again, it's your word against mine. I've written about the encounters in these mods. You haven't. I've also written more about SCS than anyone else except the author of SCS himself. And the author of SCS is a BG2 newbie who doesn't even begin to understand BG. SCS sucks. BG in the BG2 engine sucks.

And you suck, too.

The cringe! The cringe!

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Well, I've soloed the original BG1 with an enchantress and it was very easy too.

That's not the point. SCS is as broken as any game/mod. I broke that mod's back, over and over. This is proven in my write-ups. SCS is meant to be a tactical mod yet it doesn't make the game any more tactical. It's so funny that you, oldmanpaco, and dozens of other scrubs ITT, have been posting for years on the 'Dex thinking you are elite for playing SCS.

The Dark Side mod brings back some fond memories, the enemy scripts were so bad in that one. Though the no. 1 price goes to a joinable npc, that dark mysterious elf ranger with his spirit wolf dog pet. Once joined, the pet would go hostile and try to murder the ranger, who would murder it in return and then re-summon it, thus locking them both in an eternal struggle... It's the circle of liiifeee...

That will teach you to play Dark Side in the BG2 engine. Meanwhile, no bugs for me because I play Dark Side in BG engine. Funny how you don't mention Dark One or other combat encounter scripting. I guess that would expose your false statement that the scripting "was so bad". Btw, Dark One is a Lich that actually has a phylactery. BG2 Liches don't have phylateries. What a joke.

Also, Dark Side was one of the first mods for BG. Yet manages to be more interesting than SCS or any BG2 quest mod.

You BG2 fanboys should stop posting against me out of petty spite. It's really sad that you think your shitposts can contend with the leading commentator of an engine, who has posted 100 write-ups in 2 years for the Bhaalspawn Saga alone.

Remember, scrubs: BG engine > BG2 engine. BG > BG2. BioWare's decline started with Shadows of Amn.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

And you suck, too.

You're so insane I'm not even mad.

hell bovine

Arcane
That will teach you to play Dark Side in the BG2 engine. Meanwhile, no bugs for me because I play Dark Side in BG engine. Funny how you don't mention Dark One or other combat encounter scripting. I guess that would expose your false statement that the scripting "was so bad". Btw, Dark One is a Lich that actually has a phylactery. BG2 Liches don't have phylateries. What a joke.
What do you think I've meant by terrible enemy scripts if not combat? I honestly don't recall any challenging enemy spellcasters from that mod, only the bad scripting.

Like the banshee, who was supposed to run into the cave at some point, but instead would go invisible and run away and get stuck on the nearby rocks. Edwin had to spam fireball wands to get her current location, and gently herd her towards the cave entrance in order to progress the quest.

edit: if that lich had some good spellcasting scripts, then by all means post them, because I don't recall any. Getting up after getting down is a nice gimmick, but it's not what makes a mage battle fun. And wasn't his phylactery hidden in that ramshackle hut he was standing next to? Makes sense, a lich slumming it in a fisherman's abode.

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
The mods should be in a sperate folder. The installer itself plus fixpack plus whatever is named as required should be in the game directory.

edit: I think you could also try simply manually extracting all the mods you want - provided they have the typical weidu files, e.g. tp2 - directly to your game directory. Then run the installer from the game directory, perhaps it will recognize the mods are already extracted.

Thanks, but it still insists on only working if the installer is placed within it's own BiG World Download s folder - so at this point I'm giving up. I was taking the same strategy with this that I took with SOD - play it, then wait for a while for the bad taste to recede before going back to what I enjoy.
I did install crafting for Thalantyr - which essentially turns him into Cromwell - will report back if items are overpowered. So far he made a returning dagger +1 for 500gp and a haste potion...

If there are any geniuses here who have an iq higher than mine; maybe you can work this mod out: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/55632-weapons-switcher/ Apparently a weapon switcher for the BG2 engine, possibly for the first one. Has only x2 lines of instructions and downloaded 110 times with exactly x2 lines of instructions that read: change the resolution, and file extension. I think the mod works by you placing your weapons styles in the last 4 slots of your actual inventory, and then you either press a hotkey, or through pause (somehow) cycle through the weapons/shlieds placed there.

But since I'm temporarily suffering the mental trauma of installing so many mods, I haven't been nothered to tackle it. I expect that if it was easy/a valid weapon switcher it would have recieved more attention.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom