Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News Better Late Than Never: Knights of the Chalice 2 Kickstarter in November, first game coming to Steam

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Heroic Fantasy Games; Knights of the Chalice; Knights of the Chalice 2

The original Knights of the Chalice was released back in 2009, and was a shining light in a time of darkness for the RPG genre. Its sequel, Knights of the Chalice 2, has pretty much been in development since that very day. Unfortunately not very many people are aware of it. For his own idiosyncratic reasons, creator Pierre Begue has for years refused to make use of modern game distribution and promotion methods, famously refusing an offer from GOG to release Knights of the Chalice on their platform back in 2013. Absurdly, for the longest time Knights of the Chalice 2 development updates have been private, available only to owners of the first game.

But now something has changed. In May, Pierre first brought up the possibility of a Kickstarter for Knights of the Chalice 2 in November. A month later, he revealed that he'd begun the process of being admitted to Steam. And for the past two months, Knights of the Chalice 2 development updates have been posted in a public forum, where they're viewable by all. So, what finally dragged Pierre Begue kicking and screaming into the 21st century? As it turns out, being brought to the brink of starvation. From the latest update:

Hello everyone, here is the promised August update on the development of Knights of the Chalice 2.​

I call this update the 'Light at the End of the Dungeon' because it's the first time that the game is virtually feature complete! And that is a great relief to me. First, let's review the main things that were added since the last update. Secondly, we will have a look at some Necromancer Class design ideas. The Necromancer and Summoner are two possible Kickstarter Stretch Goals for the KotC 2 Kickstarter expected in November 2018. Thirdly, we will have an in-depth look at the beginning of the prologue adventure, called Augury of Chaos. I expect that it will be too big to be a free demo, particularly if it comes with the Module Editor. It will be a good stand-alone prologue adventure. Warning: if you want to avoid spoilers, then you should not read the content of the dialogue screens posted below. Finally, we will talk a little bit about what's next.

[...] On the Steam front, I'm happy to report that I've finally got my own EIN (Employer Identification Number) from the US IRS. This is needed when a developer wants to start selling games on Steam. Hopefully, I'll be able to join Steam without too much difficulty in coming months, after I have released my new Youtube videos for KotC 1 and the prologue module of KotC 2. I wonder if I will have to pay the Steam self-publishing fee for each KotC 2 module, or just once?

Okay, sounds good, so what's next?

Well, I'm planning to use the next 40 to 50 days to pack as much interesting content as possible into the prologue adventure, Augury of Chaos.

My next updates will probably be smaller: I will make a small update when my KotC 2 Features and Screenshots web pages are released, and another small update when my new Youtube videos for both KotC 2 and KotC 1 are released.

Now, a little bit about my personal life: I'm going through a difficult time financially. So I'm surviving just by eating roots - figuratively and literally: ginger and turmeric roots - and I am putting a whole lot of hope in the upcoming Kickstarter for KotC 2.

So, while I keep working very hard on KotC 2, please do your best to promote KotC 1 and advertise the Kickstarter expected to come in November 2018.

Also, I want to say 'thank you for your continuing support' to everyone who bought KotC 1, and a **REALLY BIG** thank you especially to repeat buyers: please let me tell you that your contribution is not going unnoticed, and it is helping me a lot in this development effort! I want to make the best game I can make, and YOU are really helping me do it. Much appreciated!!

Thank you for reading! All comments are welcome. Farewell for now, worthy adventurers, and please stay tuned!
    Well, I guess that's one way of learning how to do things. You just make it to Kickstarter, Pierre, and we'll be there.

• incline x 11
    • Brofist x 8
    • Participation Award x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • decline x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    :nocountryforshitposters:

I hope he isn't hoping to get actual money from this. Way too late.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Bohr Erudite

Bohr
    Wasn't expecting that, have to admit. But while other devs stroll to McDonalds in the build up to release day, eating roots is probably going to make one reconsider a couple of things. Glad we still have characters like this making RPGs though.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    It's going to be the worst kickstarter page in history. I just hope he has a reasonable goal $.

• Funny x 3
    • Prestigious x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. CryptRat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

CryptRat
    :takemymoney:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    $15 and a BigMac

• Funny Funny x 11
    ^ Top  
  7. jungl Learned

jungl
    Didn't he make the life decision of moving to live in Romania? No wonder he poor.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    He should consider an Indiegogo campaign. Multiple ones, even.

• Prestigious x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • nice x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Andhaira Arcane

Andhaira
    If he is from Kwa or UK then yes, horrible decision if he was struggling financially, because at least those places have welfare & food stamps.

Here's to hoping the Kickstarter is a massive success.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Martyr Learned

Martyr
    fuck steam, I was hoping he'd release it on gog :argh:

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Gecos Learned

Gecos
    Ever been to the country or just talking trash 'cause you can? Guess not. No wonder you think then "he poor". You stupid.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. CRD Learned Patron

CRD
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    It's too late for this game.

5 years ago could have been a "mid hit" on steam. 2018, where crpg's and pseudo-crpgs are popping out of nowhere, with dozens of indies of quality every month and the biggest competition of all time in the game industry I don't think the game is going to sell well.

I hope I'm wrong though

• Funny x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    One thing I kind of fear - if Pierre launches the Kickstarter before making it onto Steam and the campaign is a success, he'll get lazy/decide he has enough money and not put KOTC1 on Steam after all.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    :what:

• Funny Funny x 8
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. himmy Arcane

himmy
    Oh shit, I gotta meet and feed this man if he's around.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. vazha Savant

vazha
    Am I the only one who thinks him being reduced to eating roots to survive is... sad? Sure, it might give him some creative ideas about druid multiclassing, but still.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. evdk comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Depending on the roots he's eating it might give him all sorts of ideas.

• Funny Funny x 10
    ^ Top  
  18. slowtard Novice

slowtard
    Ooo!! Benguk root is delicious, and contains seratonin and nicotine, which are both essential to game development. Only trace amounts in seeds, but you can eat the beans too.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    >sell your game on GOG/Steam 5 years ago and get some cash so you can develop the sequel
    >eat roots and be on the brink of starvation

Chooses the latter.

This is what happens when you dump Intelligence. :lol:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    • Funny x 2
    • When words are not enough x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Valky Liturgist Manlet

Valky
    I will back the kikestarter if I can if only because navigating the antique method of payment on his website is nigh impossible for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    I wish he would go back to the art style from the first game. It was beautiful. Not big on this digital board-game look.

Also, would love a copy of the original KotC on steam.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Ranarama Learned

Ranarama
    Could it be? Real choices and consequences? Game development was the real RPG all along.

• Agree x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. holla_cabezas_de_mierda Arcane

holla_cabezas_de_mierda
    for fucks sake dude, get your shit on steam and GoG and get the kickstarter up, I think you may be surprised at the support you will receive. I know I will throw money at you once its easy to do and think think there are a lot of people who want to see games like this made and who don't want you to be forging for roots like you are LARPing Realms of Arkania or Divinity Original Sin...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2018
    ^ Top  
  24. catfood AGAIN

catfood
    Didn't he write a book on how to make money? Why isn't he following his own advice?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Rivmusique Arcane Patron

Rivmusique
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    was this the upcoming 3.5 based game with or without the Nazi?

• not sure if serious x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • No x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)