Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Blizzard announced "Classic" World of Warcraft

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
  • Boost to max level
  • Find a raid/mythic+ group in <5 minutes, teleport to one of the 15+ challenging dungeons/raids
Between "boost to max level" and "go into mythic" there's this tiny thing called "grind inane world quests that are virtually the same like a lobotomized mongoloid forever..."

actually you don't need to do that but you wouldn't know because hating retail is so cool and hip for the boomers

also if you hate world quests but think classic quests are somehow better you're in for a rude rude rude rude awakening

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
  • Boost to max level
  • Find a raid/mythic+ group in <5 minutes, teleport to one of the 15+ challenging dungeons/raids
Between "boost to max level" and "go into mythic" there's this tiny thing called "grind inane world quests that are virtually the same like a lobotomized mongoloid forever..."

actually you don't need to do that but you wouldn't know because hating retail is so cool and hip for the boomers

also if you hate world quests but think classic quests are somehow better you're in for a rude rude rude rude awakening
Wqs give gold, level up your neck, war resources and starting equipment. It's a natural way to get gold. It costs 500g to repair after wipes. A pot costs 900g. You gotta grind like a mindless drone, pushing 2-3 same buttons like you're playing a clicker game on mobile. Nu-wow's rotations are the embodiment of mobile games like cooking games and clicker games. Brain shuts off.

I can't listen to podcasts while playing classic wow, cause i can't multitask like that. But when I play retail, I can do anything, I can solve logarithms in my head. This shit is mind numbing like Overwatch. Coincidence? Games made by the same company, targeting the exact same retarded zoomers.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Wqs give gold, level up your neck, war resources and starting equipment. It's a natural way to get gold. It costs 500g to repair after wipes. A pot costs 900g.

You get gold from doing any content in retail, they don't force you into doing anything you don't want to do. Wipes are punished with repair costs sure but I thought the game was too easy and had no challenge or wasn't punishing but somehow repair costs are too punishing ?>??

You gotta grind like a mindless drone, pushing 2-3 same buttons like you're playing a clicker game on mobile. Nu-wow's rotations are the embodiment of mobile games like cooking games and clicker games. Brain shuts off.

Sound like you're describing vanilla wow here

I can't listen to podcasts while playing classic wow, cause i can't multitask like that. But when I play retail, I can do anything, I can solve logarithms in my head. This shit is mind numbing like Overwatch. Coincidence? Games made by the same company, targeting the exact same retarded zoomers.

It's up to you to play content that's an appropriate difficulty for you in retail. You can choose to run around and do world quests, which are easy, or you can go do an M+ dungeon or raid appropriate for your gear in which case you'll certainly need to focus.

-------

I think you're confused about the nature of the two games, because based on your complaints it seems like you'd like retail a lot more than classic

but yeah it's cool to hate on retail so whatever

Generic-Giant-Spider

To be fair the Vanilla WoW rotations aren't that complex either. From what I remember from Rogue it's basically apply Slice & Dice, Sinister Strike/Backstab, Rupture, and then keep up the SnD buff and reapply Rupture when it's about to fall off. Throw out Eviscerate if there's nothing else to do or the target will die soon.

Edit: Hit Expose Armor to tilt the everloving shit out of your tanks and likely ruin everything.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You gotta grind like a mindless drone, pushing 2-3 same buttons like you're playing a clicker game on mobile. Nu-wow's rotations are the embodiment of mobile games like cooking games and clicker games. Brain shuts off.

Sound like you're describing vanilla wow here
This is actually correct, perhaps only Warrior DPS in vanilla isn't mindless, otherwise everything else is. Warlocks spam shadowbolt, Mages frostbolt/fireball, Hunters steady shot + aimed shot, Rogues sinister strike + eviscerate/slice and dice (you don't use the bleeds due to the debuff limit).

It's very funny how people think they won't have to grind in vanilla or that the DPS rotations aren't extremely short and repetitive. If you want to play something that isn't mindless, play a healer or a tank, and if you don't want to grind, play the AH.

That said, it IS possible to find an engaging playstyle (healer, tank) and not to grind, as opposed to current WoW, where you have gamey shit like artifact power for which you HAVE to grind and healing/tanking has been consistently degenerating in their complexity over the expansions.

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
You don't even eat or drink to break the non-stop grinding routine in nu-wow, and mana is always at 100%. Shit, they even removed bandages.

In vanilla you drink after a couple of mobs and manage inventory, read quests, plan ahead, you use your brain. In nu-wow, it's mind numbing.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
598bf03929739a714bd0e81af379f64e.png

All went from low to medium. They prolly changed the values manually, so it doesn't look like those servers are stillborn.

Nordic coalition moves from Shazzrah to Gehennas officially.
So they deleted their chars from Shazzrah and it's still full. Looks like they're not a big crowd.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
DPS warrior was very mindless in vanilla, from what I remember at least. MS on cooldown, WW on cooldown, heroic strike if you have too much rage and then spam execute. Even BfA has a more complex priority system/rotation than that.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's the most complex of vanilla's rotations and you need to know what you are doing. I'm bored to tears when I play DPS, so eh.

Beastro

Arcane
They're not.

Tell me more plz, might make me reconsider going mage or priest.

I quit after about nine months from release and got tired of the meddling they did to them, especially since I picked one for the melee/caster hybridness and then realized elem was best and became just another caster like in EQ.

J1M

Arcane
DPS warrior was very mindless in vanilla, from what I remember at least. MS on cooldown, WW on cooldown, heroic strike if you have too much rage and then spam execute. Even BfA has a more complex priority system/rotation than that.
Sounds like you may have been playing the wrong spec for pve.

I decided to go Human Male Retribution Paladin. It was my first character in classic. I remember Palas being Baby Mode even during Vanilla. I didn't play Vanilla all that much though as I was busy with CoH and SWG. I only dabbled in WoW because some normie work colleagues were playing it at the time. So I'm basically going into this fresh. Were Palas as OP as I remember?

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I would not say paladins were OP, but the class did fill certain niches very well imo. They were a healer in plate armor (i.e., less squishy), had decent mana efficiency with enough crit, group buffs, and had great utility spells, such as blessing of freedom for warriors. Outside of that, they could be lackluster compared to other classes, especially dps.

Ret was not impossible, but I recall it needing tier sets and epic weapons to make it remotely palatable. Until you reach that gear threshold, you may be pressured to heal or switch to holy.

Absinthe

Arcane
Warrior solo leveling. Ironically, warrior and priest together are a match made in haven.
Doesn't compare to Paladin solo leveling. You don't even have a rotation. You just autoattack and then AFK for a full minute while the mob dies to auto because Paladins don't have actual offensive abilities, just seals (auto-attack buff) and judgment (which, if used for instant damage, does pathetic damage on a high cooldown while burning mana that you're better off saving for self-heals to reduce downtime). A Paladin's auto does far worse damage than a Warrior's too, or a Shaman's for that matter.

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Warrior solo leveling. Ironically, warrior and priest together are a match made in haven.
Doesn't compare to Paladin solo leveling. You don't even have a rotation. You just autoattack and then AFK for a full minute while the mob dies to auto because Paladins don't have actual offensive abilities, just seals (auto-attack buff) and judgment (which, if used for instant damage, does pathetic damage on a high cooldown while burning mana that you're better off saving for self-heals to reduce downtime). A Paladin's auto does far worse damage than a Warrior's too, or a Shaman's for that matter.

You're not wrong, but I'll take dull over extended downtime warrior has even if you rely on bandages to minimize it. Not to mention if you're remotely conscious while playing that paladin basically cannot die compared to a warrior who pulls two mobs and is done goofed.

cw8

Cipher
Just play Prot Paly, you're basically king... but requires you to not suck. Enchancement Windfucking Shamans, Shadow Priests and Warlocks melt faces.

I was a Druid in vanilla. Healed through all raids to Naxx and was a Balance druid out of raids. Loved my class despite the shortcomings.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I would not say paladins were OP, but the class did fill certain niches very well imo. They were a healer in plate armor (i.e., less squishy)
It depends on what we consider OP. Paladins have the potential to top healing meters due to Judgement of Light, but I'd say all healers have that potential and who exactly is on top depends on luck, JoL is just the easiest way to get there. Is that OP? I wouldn't say so, especially in the context of PvE and what the spell actually does, i.e. small sustained healing for the majority of the raid. Prot and Retri are underpowered if anything. As for the plate part, you'll only be wearing plate in Naxx as a healer, everything else is a combination of stuff, mostly cloth, due to the bad plate itemization.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Niggas never tried solo Pala AoE grinding ITT. Shield spike + retribution aura + consecration = easily wiping out groups of enemies as you stand in the middle and heal while they kill themselves on your stacking ticks of damage.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I decided to go Human Male Retribution Paladin. It was my first character in classic. I remember Palas being Baby Mode even during Vanilla. I didn't play Vanilla all that much though as I was busy with CoH and SWG. I only dabbled in WoW because some normie work colleagues were playing it at the time. So I'm basically going into this fresh. Were Palas as OP as I remember?

Palas aren't OP. Seal of Command is RNG based, that means you can do insane burst damage which can lol one shot people which will send them on the forum complaining about how OP paladins are since they can dish out INSANE damage while being virtually impossible to kill. What those people won't remember is all the times Seal of Command didn't crit and you are stuck with shit DPS that won't even kill mobs efficiently. Back in vanilla there was a bug that made Seal of Crusader OP but that's not gonna be there in Classic.

Rets are fun for leveling. You won't kill mobs as fast as a warrior or a rouge would but you will also never, ever die given all the "ho shit" abilities Paladins are given, which allows you to be more "daring" which is fun in its own right. If you take the time to maintain a good healing set on the side you'll be able to main heal all instances without changing spec. All the priests will probably be shadow and nobody likes Druids in instances because their resurrection is on a 30 minutes timer, so you won't have a lot of competition for that main healer spot in instances even as Retribution. Only exception is level 60 instances since you'll find a lot of Holy Paladins prepping for raids, but at that point you can just switch spec yourself if you are done with world questing.

AoE leveling is an option too but you gotta be careful since on crowded servers all the good spots will be filled with frost mages.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Shadow priests are better healers than retri palas, and nobody minds taking a druid as a healer, so you will have competition for the healing spot. But really, if you can heal, you won't have problems with finding groups.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Nobody minds taking a druid as a healer because healers are hard to come by. They all regret it once they get into the instance though. If you want to heal as a druid in instances, you are better off taking a paladin with you. Better still is to just tank. Bears can tank everything BUT raids, all though you can still off-tank in them.

Healing as Retribution pally is perfectly viable. Just need to get good healing gear. Easy to do since you'll be swimming in cash while leveling since you don't have to save up for the level 40 mount.

cw8

Cipher
Druids are basically Priests' bitches in vanilla. The moment Priests shout mana low. You quickly click on said Priest and click on Innervate like a good boy.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
It depends on what we consider OP. Paladins have the potential to top healing meters due to Judgement of Light, but I'd say all healers have that potential and who exactly is on top depends on luck, JoL is just the easiest way to get there. Is that OP? I wouldn't say so, especially in the context of PvE and what the spell actually does, i.e. small sustained healing for the majority of the raid. Prot and Retri are underpowered if anything. As for the plate part, you'll only be wearing plate in Naxx as a healer, everything else is a combination of stuff, mostly cloth, due to the bad plate itemization.
In vanilla, I think a distinction exists between what is OP and what is just a necessary role. While I would not label Paladins OP, I would argue that the class is borderline necessary for group content, whether that be PVE or PVP content. "Necessary" in the sense that it would be foolish not to bring at least one paladin, because Blessing of Wisdom, Blessing of Kings, Blessing of Freedom, etc. can provide such a huge boost. The fact that Paladins can heal efficiently is just icing on the cake imo.

As for my point about plate, I was thinking more so about PVP survivability. In retrospect, I imagine many Paladins still had to bring cloth sets in PVP, which nullifies that point.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom