Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Call of Saregnar - a Betrayal at Krondor-inspired RPG

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Thanks for all the heartwarming responses, it sure made my day.

As for the chicks thing, yes that one is a bit of a bait, but that's as far as the game will go skin-exposing-wise. I agree with Lagi on the whole ":bounce: has no place in RPGs" thing, so go and take a cold shower bros.
:buildawall:
betrayal-a-tkrondor-paulrowlandapps.jpg

Checkmate, Rhuantavan

Lagi

Savant
An unlikely party – a dutiful knight, an auspicious student of magic and his roguish friend

so i can not create my own party? is CoS an rpg?

================

...lead them in the middle of a battle between gods

A Believable World
...The world is low in fantasy and magic is uncommon.

k:nocountryforshitposters: . and i like rats and ratmen

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
An unlikely party – a dutiful knight, an auspicious student of magic and his roguish friend

so i can not create my own party? is CoS an rpg?

================

...lead them in the middle of a battle between gods

A Believable World
...The world is low in fantasy and magic is uncommon.

k:nocountryforshitposters: . and i like rats and ratmen

Some may argue that CoS is not an RPG, but I've seen worse shoved into that category! ;)

Ya, it does have fantasy elements, just believable ones. Also magic is uncommon in the world, but present in the game... I really need to edit that part.

Lagi

Savant
magic in saregnar is common.

you have student of magic - seems like typical fantasy where magic is part of schooling, just after religion class.
you cast spells from gods. Gods need a lot of population, to be famous. Cleric in every other house will do law-breaking stuff.
you have designed magic panel. for sure it would be rarely used.
there is 10 skill. one of it is "casting".
you rename mana into endurance. I doubt it would be used for something else than spells.

I bet combat encounters just in second location, would consist of spell casters.

what is uncommon magic? stuff from Game of Thrones. Macbeth. Black Company [glen cook]. Cthulhu. Voodoo. Exist in form of rituals, alchemy, herbalism - not fireballs from gangsta finger sign. It's like in medieval times when everyone believed in supernatural powers, but nobody encounters it, yet often explain stuff with it.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
It is just a matter of perspective. To me uncommon means that not everyone can learn it – that only a small part of the population can use it. In my world, there is a university of magic where individuals with money (uncommon) and godly favour (super rare) can study magic and achieve high stations in the world. Such a student is Hewan, one of the leading party characters, thus I need a spellcasting system, right? The high-tier enemies can do spells as well, but not the common lot.

I did not rename mana into endurance, although it is somewhat similar. Casting spells, like in Betrayal at Krondor, drains the caster into exhaustion, thus I need the endurance stat. Casting past the point of End < 0 will drain the caster's health. Endurance is also used in melee combat, drained if not enough sleep is had, also if not eating, getting sick, etc. It is used pretty widely throughout the game.

From my perspective, in the settings that you mentioned, I'd say that magic is not uncommon, but pretty damn rare.

That's my 2c. Let me know if you want details.

flushfire

Augur
if you gonna include more exhibit chicks than this one, I'm not play your "nude bait". Half-naked females dont even fit to your game.
and guys come on, I can not be the only one who hate when his mind is shift away from game, due to lechery.
Did I just not detect some sort of sarcasm here? Because this is one of the gayest statements I've read from the codex in a while. Seriously, BaK had it's fair share of skin exposure and it fit just fine.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Looks both mechanically and visually/aesthetically like Daggerfall made in current years. Which I hope it basically is except it's not randomly generated, not mid-high fantasy, not the size of real world UK and more story focused. Ok, it's low fantasy Kingdom Come with updated Daggerfall aesthetics and wenches.

Willl there be Kickstarter campaign for this at some point to speed up the development process so that we might play this before end of Berserk manga or this century?

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Looks both mechanically and visually/aesthetically like Daggerfall
How does Daggerfall strike you and not Betrayal at Krondor?

Agh, I better not answer that question lest I lose some of my Codex street cred...:M

How could I have known they took it as an inspiration? If only they had put it somewhere in plain sight. Oh...
eLbcd1c.jpg

AXWnTpv.jpg

Last edited:

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Thanks bros. I need a couple of years to bring it to a fully-featured playable state (with minimal content), a demo in fact, then I will consider some sort of crowdfunding solution (fig/indiegogo) or if I manage to get enough of an income via my patreon devlog, that’s also an option.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ahh, so 2025? Maybe the Grimoire manual will be out by then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom