Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dark Souls is absolutely an RPG, explanation

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
It's one dimensional game play is exclusively dependent on player reflex skill. All other considerations are a distant second. Not an RPG.

But it isn't. We could make the argument that Baldur's Gate II could be considered such a game as well, as Stephen Hawking would have a hell of a time trying to beat the game thanks to its RTwP system that rewards quick thinking and reflexes, no different than Dark Souls in this regard.

Dark Souls is a fantastic Action RPG because you can choose to play it as both, but almost everyone will play it as an RPG first, and as a pure Action game second (with Level 1 runs). The idea that "you can do LVL1 runs, this means it isn't an RPG" is retarded when we take into account less than 1% of its playerbase will ever attempt this.

barghwata

Savant
RTwP system that rewards quick thinking and reflexes

I agree with your overall point but "quick thinking and reflexes"? i mean ............... it's real time with PAUSE, you can pause whenever you want and think for as long as you need, in Dark Souls if you didn't think or react fast enough for a moment you're dead.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I agree with your overall point but "quick thinking and reflexes"? i mean ............... it's real time with PAUSE, you can pause whenever you want and think for as long as you need, in Dark Souls if you didn't think or react fast enough for a moment you're dead.

Of course I'm exaggerating. But the idea of "it's more demanding so it's not an RPG" is dumb. Baldur's Gate II could have been much more demanding when it came to reflexes, but no one would bat an eye because "your characters are the ones doing the fighting".

mushaden

Scholar
Was it ever a question that dark souls is an rpg? I thought the only debate was whether it’s a JRPG

barghwata

Savant

Of course I'm exaggerating. But the idea of "it's more demanding so it's not an RPG" is dumb. Baldur's Gate II could have been much more demanding when it came to reflexes, but no one would bat an eye because "your characters are the ones doing the fighting".

Indeed, if a game being more demanding from the player means it's less of an RPG, then the ultimate RPG would be a game that plays itself for you while you just sit there and watch, in other words not a game.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Haha RPS's Best RPGs list

Screenshot_32.png

Hilarious shit

:flamesaw::flamesaw::flamesaw:

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Dark Souls is not JUST an RPG. It is a superior RPG to half the shit people circlejerk around here and it bothers them that it wasn't made by Elon Musk.

Machocruz

Arcane
Since I grew up during the genesis of all these genre and subgenre labels, it is completely obvious and axiomatic to me that Dark Souls is an Action RPG, which began as hack and slash games with simple stats, the marriage of arcade to CRPG*. It's valid to question the legitimacy the accuracy of such a label in the first place, but as long as it is to be acknowledged, DkS slots very nicely into it. As does Diablo, btw. One little touch I always liked in Diablo 2 is how blocking is totally character skill dependent. You don't control it at all. It let's you concentrate on the part everyone came for, which is furiously masturbating clicking and mowing down scores of mobs

*CRPG, because most Japs game companies didn't know shit about actual RPGs. Which is simultaneously one of the biggest problems with most JRPGs and one of their greatest assets.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's one dimensional game play is exclusively dependent on player reflex skill. All other considerations are a distant second. Not an RPG.

But it isn't. We could make the argument that Baldur's Gate II could be considered such a game as well, as Stephen Hawking would have a hell of a time trying to beat the game thanks to its RTwP system that rewards quick thinking and reflexes, no different than Dark Souls in this regard.

Dark Souls is a fantastic Action RPG because you can choose to play it as both, but almost everyone will play it as an RPG first, and as a pure Action game second (with Level 1 runs). The idea that "you can do LVL1 runs, this means it isn't an RPG" is retarded when we take into account less than 1% of its playerbase will ever attempt this.

When I read "quick reflex and skill" as an argument for why something isn't an rpg, I translate it to "im borderline physically disabled and should not be allowed to operate a vehicle since the slightest need for a quick reaction will result in an accident, so I play my disability-accommodating games where I just have to click through dialogue at my own pace".

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
When I read "quick reflex and skill" as an argument for why something isn't an rpg, I translate it to "im borderline physically disabled and should not be allowed to operate a vehicle since the slightest need for a quick reaction will result in an accident, so I play my disability-accommodating games where I just have to click through dialogue at my own pace".

Exactly. Dark Souls is an "Action" (as in, non RPG) game that somehow lets unskilled players beat it because of how well the RPG mechanics are integrated. The idea that it isn't an RPG just because there are very skilled people that can do without the stat increases gained through level ups is moronic.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
In almost all shoot 'em up you can choose your ship build. Are they RPGs?

Infinity-Shooting-iPhone-and-iPad-Space-Shooter-Game-Screenshot.jpg

Can your ship get stronger? Does the build you choose factor in how your ship gets stronger in the future?
Yes, with powerups that you collect by killing enemies (giving different effects depending on the initial ship choice).
shooters-main.jpg

R-Type & Gradius franchises are examples-

But are said power ups permanent?
Semi-permanent. Every time you are killed your ship loose a part of them, also in some games you can get back all of them at the same position where you were killed. Its somewhat analogous to DS.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I always wondered where the line is....is Devil May Cry a RPG? Zelda? Both have equipment stats and you can extend your life bar, unlock moves(DMC) etc. At which point does an action game become a RPG?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Semi-permanent. Every time you are killed your ship loose a part of them, also in some games you can get back all of them at the same position where you were killed. Its somewhat analogous to DS.

But that's not how Dark Souls works. In Dark Souls, the only thing you lose when you die are accumulated Souls, which are used to level up. The levels you have gained over time never leave you. A Power Up isn't an RPG mechanic. It may be a spell in many games, but we can't say Mario is an RPG simply because it has Power Ups which you can also lose and gain back.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet

But that's not how Dark Souls works. In Dark Souls, the only thing you lose when you die are accumulated Souls, which are used to level up. The levels you have gained over time never leave you. A Power Up isn't an RPG mechanic. It may be a spell in many games, but we can't say Mario is an RPG simply because it has Power Ups which you can also lose and gain back.
Yes it is not the same. However the spirit is analogous. It's like a harder DS.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Yes it is not the same. However the spirit is analogous. It's like a harder DS.

The problem is that shoot'em ups are far more unforgiving and so the comparison is not really apt at all. If Dark Souls was just as unforgiving, most people would not even be able to grind up levels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom