Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deadfire dialogue check analysis

Is there such a thing as too many dialogue checks?

• Yes

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • No

Votes: 36 72.0%
  • Maybe so

Votes: 6 12.0%

• Total voters

Risewild

Arbiter
Skill checks that give you unique equipment. Skill checks that allow you to solve quests peacefully.
Which skill check gives you unique equipment? The number of unique equipment that the player can only get by speech checks in Fallout 3 and DLCs is 0. You can get the Fertilizer Shovel (Point Lookout DLC) and the Boogeyman's Hood using a Skill check, but those are also acquired if the player has the perk "Child at Heart".
Fallout 3 has no unique equipment you can only get by using skill checks.

Last edited:

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
The fact that I can play as an Aumaua from the Deadfire Archipelago and get 269 unique dialogues throughout the game is cool as hell. Meaningfulness be damned.

Compare that to a game like Skyrim, where your race gets brought up maybe 5-10 times throughout the entire game. Even if no one else appreciates it, I do.
Okay; you're just a troll, opinions disregarded, carry on.:hero:

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
First, you hate PS:T because you metagamed it as you illustrate above. That was a mistake, but it’s not the typical experience.

I didn't metagame it. All I knew at the time was that it was easy, so I maxed WIS and CHA. INT because I was a mage.

Having three attributes represent over 80% of checks is bad design.

And there is only one quest in Deadfire that’s like Fort Deadlight. I wish there were more but even the gullett stuff doesn’t come close.

Only one quest with that level of complexity, but many sidequests with multiple solutions and various skill checks.

For example, the quest to get medicine in the black market has over 14 different solutions.

False! Mostly they open up an extra line or two of dialogue (this was very disappointing to me so it sticks in my memory). In my experience, the times they had an impact on quest outcomes were a minority.

It's pointless to argue without data, but I remember only about 15-20 skill checks that didn't have any gameplay utility. Hundreds that did.
Tell us how PoE is better than AoD :lol:

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Gorgeous for 1998. It looks like ass 20 years later.

Pillars_of_Eternity_2_Neketaka2.jpg

planescape_torment01.jpg
Planescape Torment still has a ton more atmosphere than POE could ever fucking hope for. You seem like a troll that doesn't know shit

2house2fly

Magister
I like Deadfire but I really don't think it has a very high number of game-affecting checks. Let's see, off the top of my head:

Fort Deadlight I'm pretty sure
Aloth, Eder and Pallegina all have different equipment depending on PoE1 outcomes. None of the equipment is game changing, and I don't think their reputation or quest triggers are affected by it at all- can you miss out on a possible outcome to Eder's quest if he joined the cult instead of becoming mayor?
You can skip some combat encounters in Hasongo, Oathbinder Sanctum and Ashen Maw, as well as the dragons I think, including the Guardian if you're a Deadfire aumaua. That's not bad, and being able to do it in storybook scenes (sneak up on enemies etc) to affect how the following battle begins is genuinely neat.
Does it take a skill check to handle Nemnok peacefully? I think you just submit to him, right?
I think if you're too cosy with one faction the other factions might get upset. Maybe some skill checks to keep sweet with each faction?

I won't deny that it's neat to get the option to try speaking Rauataian to Rekke because you're from there, or when someone says "I wouldn't have expected a scholar like you to win that fight!" but that's just cosmetic stuff and could almost have been accomplished by "we don't see a lot of [charrace] around here! What are you, a [charbackground]? I wouldn't have expected that from someone of your [charmaxskill]

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
I swear Planescape Torment raped Safav

How? Its a game ffs. Be more creative!
His father killed his mother in a fit of rage:
"What? Did you just buy another one of those playscreen things? I thought we discussed this!"
"Don't start again, not today. Please."
"Again? Again?! What are you saying? We discussed this and decided no more. Not untill I get that-"
"Please. Honey. .....we didn't decide, you di-"
"Untill I get that necklace you promised me! Suzan has been poking my eyes out for a month now with that bracelet of her's and-"
"Honey. Please, not in front of little Safav..."
"AND I HAVE TO KEEP TELLING HER MY LAZY PIECE OF SHI-"
*thunk*
"OHGODWHA-"
*thunk**thunk**thunk**thunk**thunk**thunk**thunk**thunk**thunk**thunk**thunk**thunk**thunk**thunk**thunk**thunk**thunk*............*thunk*.......*thunk*
"I......I'm sorry Safav......I'm so sorry....."

:shredder:

Neanderthal

Arcane
I swear Planescape Torment raped Safav, only explanation for his constant bitching about it.

PST was so bad that it led to my brother going crazy and killing himself after returning from the Iraq War. That's what his psychologist told me.
I swear Planescape Torment raped Safav, only explanation for his constant bitching about it.

PST was so bad that it led to my brother going crazy and killing himself after returning from the Iraq War. That's what his psychologist told me.

Torments finest achievement - purifying the gene pool.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Torments finest achievement - purifying the gene pool.
Torment is the gift that keeps on giving

Quillon

Arcane
I swear Planescape Torment raped Safav

How? Its a game ffs. Be more creative!
His father killed his mother in a fit of rage:
"What? Did you just buy another one of those playscreen things? I thought we discussed this!"
"Don't start again, not today. Please."
"Again? Again?! What are you saying? We discussed this and decided no more. Not untill I get that-"
"Please. Honey. .....we didn't decide, you di-"
"Untill I get that necklace you promised me! Suzan has been poking my eyes out for a month now with that bracelet of her's and-"
"Honey. Please, not in front of little Safav..."
"AND I HAVE TO KEEP TELLING HER MY LAZY PIECE OF SHI-"
*thunk*
"OHGODWHA-"
*thunk**thunk**thunk**thunk**thunk**thunk**thunk**thunk**thunk**thunk**thunk**thunk**thunk**thunk**thunk**thunk**thunk*............*thunk*.......*thunk*
"I......I'm sorry Safav......I'm so sorry....."

:shredder:

What's that everyday's event has got to with PS:T?

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Y'all are too easily baited.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom