Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Campaign Begins + Hands-on Preview at RPGWatch

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Are you kidding? It's been up for one day and they have 76k already out of 400k. Exploding with 1 million dollars in one day is not the rule, but the exception.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Swen had answered me on twitter regarding character customization. You will be able to customize the characters, but there will always be two. Now I'm wondering if it's always two for only the campaign, or two chars for everything (including player made content).

So you don't have two chars + two henchman?
That's what they said in the other thread. 4 fully customizable characters. They just don't know yet whether to balance the game for 2 or 4.

Please God balance it for four and let me customize the henchmen as a full PC.

Are you kidding? It's been up for one day and they have 76k already out of 400k. Exploding with 1 million dollars in one day is not the rule, but the exception.

Well bro, I want them to get a lot of $$$ so they can improve and expand the game. I want them to go at least over 1 million dollars!
one-billion-dollars-austin-powers-above-the-law-blog.jpg

hiver

I hope ya all payed attention to that combat encounter close to the end of the video... damn, just look at the options you have interacting with environment effects.
Daumn!

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
lar_q Since it's a campaign to grab extra funding, I woud'have treated the 400k goal as the first stretch goal : giving one concrete enhancement to the game beside the bigger/deeper/better.

Do you have an exiting idea/feature you had planned for another goal you could bring up earlier? It would give a reason to pledge for those who think you don't need their help.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Well bro, I want them to get a lot of $$$ so they can improve and expand the game. I want them to go at least over 1 million dollars!

You do realize that the 400k is to improve and expand the game, not fund it?

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
:takemymoney:
I've been excited about this game for a while. The timing is off - I've no idea why they care about the Watch, it's not like anyone reads it. In addition, I'm going to be broke as fuck after all these interesting Kickstarters, but Larian are some of the biggest bros in cRPG development, so there really isn't any option but to pledge.

Yes I do bro, but that's not enough. I want more for them. :D Too bad they "awkwardly" started this KS, but all is not lost yet. Hope it massively picks up on the media, and people pledge. This looks really good, maybe good enough even for mass market, as the screenshots look gorgeous, and could draw a lot of pledgers. Not just the niche market of hardcore crpgers.

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
French preview : http://www.jeuxvideo.com/articles/0001/00018315-divinity-original-sin-preview.htm

"It's up to you to make this already good rpg into an excellent rpg, by giving Larian the means of their ambitions. In its actual state, this project already has everything it needs to be a great rpg. But if it had, from the beginning to the end, the same density than the piece we were able to try, it would be even better. Original Sin could even become the most accomplished game from this studio, and be one of those games we still talk about 10 years from now. Anyway, that's what we hope for."

Sorry about the shitty translation.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Yes I do bro, but that's not enough. I want more for them. :D Too bad they "awkwardly" started this KS, but all is not lost yet. Hope it massively picks up on the media, and people pledge. This looks really good, maybe good enough even for mass market, as the screenshots look gorgeous, and could draw a lot of pledgers. Not just the niche market of hardcore crpgers.

Dunno if it's enough or not, but think about a game that has its goal for 900k, and it makes 1.3 mil. Just how much of the extra money they can actually use on extras, and how much has to go into development of the base game? Here, at least, all of the money should be going into nothing but the extras. So I guess it should be fine as long as they make the goal.

Jashiin

Arcane
French preview : http://www.jeuxvideo.com/articles/0001/00018315-divinity-original-sin-preview.htm

"It's up to you to make this already good rpg into an excellent rpg, by giving Larian the means of their ambitions. In its actual state, this project already has everything it needs to be a great rpg. But if it had, from the beginning to the end, the same density than the piece we were able to try, it would be even better. Original Sin could even become the most accomplished game from this studio, and be one of those games we still talk about 10 years from now. Anyway, that's what we hope for."

Sorry about the shitty translation.

Ten years from now:

"A botched ks launch was larians final nail in the coffin.."

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The big issue I'm seeing is lazy bastards at popamole mainstream gaming websites... The Escapist did a little piece, but only saying "there's a kickstarter", PC gamer did a very short article on the KS launch, with a very douchey tone:
As of this writing, donors have given over $40,000 to Original Sin’s cause, but it’s a long, lava-lined road to adding an extra zero to that figure.

Assholes at Kotaku were so GODDAM BUSY reporting shit like "Latest Japanese Schoolgirl Trend: Fake Dragon Ball Attacks" (I swear I'm not joking) that all they did was a single sentence, without even a photo:
Larian Studios has turned to Kickstarter to secure some extra funding for their new Divinity title, Original Sin. [via PCGamer]

And IGN and RPS have still to publish anything... In the end, media favoritis does play a MASSIVE role, and it seems like is way easier to sell dreams and possibilities than a almost-finished game somepople dismiss with just one look...

And IGN and RPS have still to publish anything... In the end, media favoritis does play a MASSIVE role, and it seems like is way easier to sell dreams and possibilities than a almost-finished game somepople dismiss with just one look...

Fuckers. But I don't see why someone would dismiss this game by giving it a look. If nothing a look at it should make people pledge, as it looks gorgeous!

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

RPS is too busy with social justice.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The gaming media is like your average slut. They want to have a project they can point at and say 'see, we don't cover every Kickstarter money grab, we have standards, yo'.

Jashiin

Arcane

RPS is too busy with social justice.

This. Fuckers whining about the big bad EA's all the time, but plaster their shit site with bf3 trailers and bioshock infinite instead of posting about this. A true kickstarter like they claim they should be without empty promises but with an actual game already there.

Fuck RPS

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I think RPS will write a decent article, they are just a little slow. They also have their weekly KS roundup, which will probably feature Divinity.

hiver

Even if they do cover it, the article will consist of contemplating the way this started will all that rpgWatch article crap and how this is foolish and how Wow! its such a clear bad decision and blah, blah, blah...

with a sentence or two about actual gameplay and maybe a linked or posted video.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom