Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Divinity: Original Sin Kickstarter Campaign Begins + Hands-on Preview at RPGWatch

4too

Arcane
Kicks-tarter Cargo Cults

Faith based financing: build a Kickstater and they will come.

DIVINITY:OS > Equiping pumpkin as helmet, for the win!1!
girl_with_a_pumpkin_head_3_by_pzychosys-d5hfchh.jpg

" ' Waiting for THE GREAT PUMKIN, or some one just like him/her. ' "

4too

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Hope this one makes it, who doesn't want more reactivity and content?

Speaking of reactivity:

JM​
@Larian​
The PCGMedia article says " I think Larian have left the story deliberately open with a view to allowing players to create their own story experiences."​
Is the story 'open'.. meaning not much of one, or is there a strong story to get involved with.​

Creator Larian Studios LLC 20 minutes ago​
@JM: I'd say there's really a lot of story but it's possible to play the game without involving yourself too much in it by using the systemics of the game (which is what the writer witnessed). I.e. I think he saw everybody in a village being killed by orcs that had been lead there by the party and was surprised to hear that that didn't mean you couldn't finish the game anymore. In fact, we designed the game to deal with situations like this. But in doing so,that particular party in this particular session did miss out on plenty of storylines. They still had fun though.​

That's pretty cool. <3

UnknownBro

Savant
Pledged! :salute:
Interesting concepts, promising gameplay, nice graphics, hope the story and setting is not like in the other divinities... as in utter moronic.

hiver

I dont think those are 2D prerendered backgrounds, right?

Or am i wrong?

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hope this one makes it, who doesn't want more reactivity and content?

Speaking of reactivity:

JM​
@Larian​
The PCGMedia article says " I think Larian have left the story deliberately open with a view to allowing players to create their own story experiences."​
Is the story 'open'.. meaning not much of one, or is there a strong story to get involved with.​

Creator Larian Studios LLC 20 minutes ago​
@JM: I'd say there's really a lot of story but it's possible to play the game without involving yourself too much in it by using the systemics of the game (which is what the writer witnessed). I.e. I think he saw everybody in a village being killed by orcs that had been lead there by the party and was surprised to hear that that didn't mean you couldn't finish the game anymore. In fact, we designed the game to deal with situations like this. But in doing so,that particular party in this particular session did miss out on plenty of storylines. They still had fun though.​

That's pretty cool. <3
Radiant quests done right.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
No. The backgrounds are 3D (if you watch the video it shows how they make the backgrounds). It is similar to NWN2's 3D "area" backgrounds.

hiver

there we go.

I cant imagine what would be wrong with such visual quality for Torment. Of course art quality is important but 3D isometric obviously can look fucking amazing.
One more example i can link to in addition to Lara Croft and the Guardian of light.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Looks like I have to be the first one to complain about the dumb "Arrow in the knee" joke they used at the end of the video. That's so 2011-12. Get with the times Larian.

Despite Larian consistently failing at systems, it looks interesting enough. Will pledge if it makes its goal. It'll be funny either way if it can't make or beats Dead State's funding.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Also RPGWatch isn't completely to blame for this debacle, what did we think would happen to their standards by continuously redirecting our biggest retards to their site? Poor buggers never stood a chance.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I think at this point it is safe to say they will easily reach their stated goal. Basically no media coverage yet and 11% already raised. The real question is did they really want only 400k. Somehow i doubt it. Even though their pitch is strong thanks to them selling us a real game with working systems and not a pipedream, their bad timing might have killed their chance to make it big. Let's hope for the best.

Snikt

Novice
I have to wonder how much 400,000 USD would even give these guys in terms of man-hours, when you factor in Amazon/Paypal fees, physical reward costs, and converting the money to Euro/Belgian wages.

However then again Brian Fargo is trying to make an RPG with a studio located in one of the most expensive places in the world to live, so meh

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The "trending" on kicktraq has more than doubled since last time I checked. Looks like they are slowly building momentum.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fargo says he needs 1 million dollars to make an RPG. Let's assume that's a 1 year development cycle. So his burn rate 83k per month give or take. Assuming Larian is spending a similar amount per month (I bet it's higher personally, but I have no evidence). They should get 3-4 months worth of pay from a 400k kickstarter. 3 good months probably would have made games such as KoTOR 2 and VtM:B much better.

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Looks like I have to be the first one to complain about the dumb "Arrow in the knee" joke they used at the end of the video. That's so 2011-12. Get with the times Larian.

Despite Larian consistently failing at systems, it looks interesting enough. Will pledge if it makes its goal. It'll be funny either way if it can't make or beats Dead State's funding.

I used to complain about dumb Arrow in the Knee jokes, but then I...well, you know.

Mortmal

Arcane
Earlier kickstarter cause of an early rpgwatch article... They should focus on the codex more, such error would not happen here, you will never get an article released early , and NEVER a news item before anyone posted it on the watch, never. Lot of the money rasied is probably coming from here, as even if VD is right, the pitch isnt selling, people here were already informed and convinced .

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Pity a lot if the rewards are crap. The early ones are all "personal code unlocks XYZ in your copy". It only gets interesting around the $1,000 mark - and then after that gets crap again with simple "name XYZ".

Still, we doing a Codex fundraiser for this and shooting for the $1,000 mark?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pity a lot if the rewards are crap. The early ones are all "personal code unlocks XYZ in your copy". It only gets interesting around the $1,000 mark - and then after that gets crap again with simple "name XYZ".

Eh one at a time please. (and I'm not sure the Torment fundraiser will end at the same time as its Kickstarter, either)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

I would be in for both (Torment and Divinity).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I blame this:
bQWJ7Vw.jpg

RPG Watch: "Divinity:OS is da (SECOND!) most promising RPG of 2013".
RPG Codex: Your daily antidote to thinking you're getting anywhere in the world of CRPGS.

Not to mention all that DRAMA about Larian being broke, and all the "plane tickets, bitch" that followed...

hiver

Fargo says he needs 1 million dollars to make an RPG.
A very basic RPG. Imagine what W2 or Torment would look like if you took away all additions that different stretch goals gave.

Compare to Larians product. Co-op in and out seamlessly integrated, mod editor, high visual fidelity and a good chunk of gameplay content - already there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom