Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity: Original Sin Pre-Release Thread

Mortmal

Arcane
AV2MH.jpg

pipka

Savant
Tits!
Interactive treasure inventory icons (barrels, boxes)!
'Divinity' is made of piss on snow! And 'Original Sin' is made of snow on blood!

Angthoron

Arcane
I like the cover concept art, don't recall seeing a pair of heroes hand-in-hand on a cover or a concept since ever. Maybe in Witcher? Not quite sure. In any case, looks good. And there's the white cat there!

rSFzc.jpg

Stabwound

Arcane
Is everyone reading "turn-based" and closing their eyes and jizzing everywhere? Or am I the only one that doesn't get much excitement from any of these screenshots? It looks like Dungeon Siege 1 and there are no signs of anything Ultima or Fallout-like to be seen.

Then again, Divine Divinity was an excellent game, so I guess a little optimism won't hurt.

Mortmal

Arcane
Is everyone reading "turn-based" and closing their eyes and jizzing everywhere? Or am I the only one that doesn't get much excitement from any of these screenshots? It looks like Dungeon Siege 1 and there are no signs of anything Ultima or Fallout-like to be seen.

"Puisqu'on évoque les combats, venons-en à la grosse surprise de cette démonstration : le tour par tour ! Divinity - Original Sin abandonne le système en temps réel des précédents volets et opte pour des mécanismes proches des premiers Fallout : déplacements sur cases hexagonales, points d'action, etc. On y gagne en tactique ce qu'on y perd en dynamique."

Turn based, hexagons, like fallout ! They giving up real time.How can that be more clear.

Top down rpg with emphasis on conversations and C&C. Sounds a heck of a lot more interesting than the dragon commander RTS hybrid, and we didn't even have to donate money in advance for it

Gord

Arcane
Looking a tad bit too playful, but if only half of the preview is true this might be a pretty cool game.

Marsal

Arcane

"Puisqu'on évoque les combats, venons-en à la grosse surprise de cette démonstration : le tour par tour ! Divinity - Original Sin abandonne le système en temps réel des précédents volets et opte pour des mécanismes proches des premiers Fallout : déplacements sur cases hexagonales, points d'action, etc. On y gagne en tactique ce qu'on y perd en dynamique."

Turn based, hexagons, like fallout ! They giving up real time.How can that be more clear.
He's saying the game looks like shit, not questioning whether it's turn-based or not. How can THAT be more clear?

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Looks bloom infested and, well, graphic style isnt very appealing.

But as long as it is a good game...

Stabwound

Arcane
RPGWatch apparently had a first-hand look at the game with an in-depth writeup about it. More to go on than the French crap.

http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=192&ref=0&id=499

Combat is turn-based and takes action points. Each action like moving, fighting, using a skill or equipping stuff will take action points. The switch to turn-based was made because they wanted to add something extra to the game. The original Divinity was an action oriented game. Beyond Divinity originally had turn based combat, but that was removed because of the publisher who wanted it to be real time and Divinity 2 was very much action oriented. And now Larian feel the RPG players are ready for a turn-based RPG.

...For those who are less interested in fighting there will also be possibilities to talk yourself out of combat, which will require certain levels of your statistics...
In combat, your skills will be frequently used and, like with items, skills can be combined to do even more damage. When someone is on fire, the damage inflicted can be increased by putting another skill on them like a heat wave.
The terrain can be used in combat as well. A skill that makes it rain can be used and depending on the terrain this could form a puddle of water. If your opponent stands in that puddle, using the electricity skill will do more damage than without the water. But if one of the two characters is on fire, making it rain will put the fire out.

Making it rain will also make your character wet (and it also looks wet), if you would then be hit by electricity it would hurt a lot more - but being hit by fire would do much less damage. Quite a lot of interesting combinations can be made in this way.
However be warned, your opponents have the same skill set available and could make you hurt a lot more as well.

:incline:

I'm looking forward to this now, but I really hope it's not a misstep like Beyond Divinity was. Divine Divinity was a great action RPG and if it's a throwback to that then that's a great sign.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
You guys are getting way too excited for another generic-looking two-character "party"and cooldown- (I see those clock-wise-timers on the hotbar) based fantasy thing.

Mortmal

Arcane

He's saying the game looks like shit, not questioning whether it's turn-based or not. How can THAT be more clear?

I thought it was the lack of evidence of turn based mechanism on screenshots that troubles him. No the game does not look like shit, or maybe you think all the ultimas game looks like shit too.
Sample of latest top down ultimas:

VsNPc.jpg

0FjYZ.jpg

gFrOA.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom