Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Epic vs Steam - the console war comes to PC

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Dec 4, 2018.

1. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    It's going to be a real test for Epic. Whatever they do if it's a total clusterfuck at launch, which could easily happen, it's going to make Epic's PR troubles even worse and convince a lot of non-die-hards to wait for the Steam version. If it works fine and a lot of people are playing, like World War Z supposedly is, then I would guess a lot of people will give in because it's a big game and their friends will be playing and all that jazz. Also like I keep saying 2k has direct comparisons they can make with Borderlands 2's Steam launch. So it will be a huge moment for the Epic store for sure, either for better or worse.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. V_K Arcane

V_K
    :lol:

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. MuscleSpark Savant Patron

MuscleSpark
    They took my Tetris.
    I am incensed.

• Rage Rage x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Naraya Savant

Naraya
    I'm going to sail the caribbean seas on this one.
    Also, ratio of likes to dislikes on the youtube trailer is hilarious.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • PIRACY IS WRONG PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Tetris is probably one of a handful of games with hundreds of different versions of it out there.

There's no need to YARR for this one, just find one of the other ones and have a blast with that instead.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    130 pages and you still don't get this thread.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Oh, you mean this?

[​IMG]

• Funny x 8
    • Brofist x 5
    • Edgy x 3
    • retadred x 2
    • nice x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Steamboat Willie Learned

Steamboat Willie
    This is how you play Tetris:

[​IMG]

• Prestigious x 10
    • Brofist x 4
    • Old x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Naraya Savant

Naraya
    Oh I know, personally I found Nullpomino a few years back - it's awesome and I play it a lot, but Tetris Effect has great audiovisuals, it's a tetris experience on another level. I don't have (and never had) a console and I refuse to buy things on Steam/Epic store because reasons. I'll buy it instantly if/when it get on GOG (read: probably never).

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Belegarsson Erudite Patron

Belegarsson
    It seems like MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries gonna be the next target...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2019
    • Funny x 7
    • decline x 3
    • Rage x 3
    • incline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Ibbz Augur

Ibbz

• Funny x 6
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 4
    • Doggy x 4
    • retadred x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • quality shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    Free shit still shit. There is still nothing worthy to pirate.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    I would assume Epic pays the developers some discounted amount for every "free game" redeemed. So if you really want to stick it to them, I'd get on there and redeem every free game they offer but never transition to paying them for anything.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Zombra Arcane Patron

Zombra
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Ugh, fine, I registered for (blech) Limbo.

• decline x 4
    • WTF am I reading x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • cuck x 2
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Limbo sucks, wtf. Isn’t it also dirt cheap on Steam?

• Yes Yes x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    Nice try, Tiananmen Square.

On a more serious note, it seems that if your PC where a free game from Epic is installed for some reasons died, and that free game happened to be free only during a period before May 2019, that free game is gone from the library (at least a lot of people reported this issue) and thus the next time you want to install those free copy you grabbed, you're asked to pay for it.

The reason for this is because of the purchase history being broken, since they cleared up the purchase history 90 days after a specific purchase is made (including the ones for free games), and apparently the fuckers hasn't implemented a confirmation by email to ensure consumers holding their own purchase transaction confirmation :lol:

Seems like they are on to fixing this problem, though.

(I vaguely remembered the Codex having a problem with SidAlpha, specifically with our own Cleve Blakemore, but as far as I know he's the only one covering this issue as of the moment)

So, you cucks who actually got this piece of shit installed on your computer, check if you still got secure access to the free games you grabbed from before May and check if you can install them without being told to finally buy a copy.

• Funny x 13
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Silentstorm Learned

Silentstorm
    Oh, for the love of whatever, Tetris Effect requires SteamVR to work in VR mode, an exclusive game for the EGS REQUIRES STEAM to work on what is said to be the most optimal way to play it, it needs Valve's hardware and permission, both Oculus and Vive need Steam, funnily enough, you can make VR games using, for example, Oculus, that don't require Steam VR or anything like that, the developer just made so it would need Steam.

Apparently, when the game was being ported to PC, there was thoughts of putting it on Steam which is why they just used Steam VR because it was already there, but when Epic appeared with money, they just kept in Steam VR for anyone that wants to play Tetris Effect in the way it was meant to be played, it's just, wow, an EGS exclusive with a way of playing that literally requires Valve's stuff to work, not that it will matter since Valve doesn't seem to want to deny people the game anyways.

• Funny x 13
    • Brofist x 1
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    It is pretty hilarious, though VR is like 1% of the market so I'm not sure how much it matters practically. Still you'd think Epic would require they use a different VR middleware. Pretty silly.

The "normal" game is DRM free by the way, doesn't require the Epic client to play.

• cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Belegarsson Erudite Patron

Belegarsson
    https://mw5mercs.com/news/2019/07/9-development-update

It's interesting to see how they would handle modding according to the FAQ.

• decline decline x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. pOcHa Cipher Patron

pOcHa
    Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    i finally made a purchase at epic store, paid for the dlc for the (currently) free moonlighter - i feel dirty on the inside...

• decline x 7
    • hopw roewur ne x 3
    • nice x 1
    • thumbs down x 1
    • Up Yours x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Curratum Savant

Curratum
    Curiously, on the topic of pirating games as "try before buy", I've done this for Witcher 3, theHunter Call of the Wild, Dishonored 2, Resident Evil 7, WRC racing titles, as well as a bunch of smaller titles, buying all of them within a day from pirating to try. I give a pirated game 30 minutes, after which I either delete it or buy it.

I can't stand to play something I like pirated, when I could be enjoying those sweet sweet chievos, playtime tracker and screenshot cloud that Steam has.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I guess I'm that guy, though I did buy Witcher 3 and GTA V after pirating them and "trying" for 20-30 hours. On the other hand I've also pirated AC:Origins and Tomb Raider (2013), but never got around to actually playing them, and at some point deleted them to free up space. :)

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Silentstorm Learned

Silentstorm
    The worst thing about being someone who likes many genres and indie games is that quite a few of EGS's free game offers are pointless to me, i only knew Moonlighter and The War Of Mine are free because of this thread, too bad i already bought the games quite a while back and i had already gotten the DLC for Moonlighter before coming to this thread.

I don't think EGS has had a single free game aside from Subnautica i would be interested in and didn't already own, not that it matters much, but hey, if i had waited a while, i could have gotten Thimbleweed Park for free with more dialogue and voice acting from the start rather than playing the game as it was released with no mini-game and less dialogue.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Silentstorm Learned

Silentstorm
    Anyways, Mechwarrior 5 going to Epic is not something i mind that much, it seems like it's a niche title and the developer needs the money, and if going on that store is needed for more slow action mecha games to be made so be it.

Besides, Steam will get three mecha games with suprisingly decent budgets, voice acting and lots of animations in the future, granted, the three are turn-based strategy games, but still, mecha fans won't exactly be left wanting even if they refuse to use EGS.

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)