Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
So what happened to FeelTheRads that he hates Steam with such obsession?

Cromwell

Arcane
These don't account for quality. It's either Steam or nothing.

they do, because they are either better or annoying (you dont want an extra shop but you would tuse it if its better) Jarl just didnt spell out "If it were drm free and gave me 30% on everything I would use it over gog and steam because that much was obvious.

Actually, if you're not a newfag, you might remember when you could buy physical games from physical stores, something that Steam single-handedly killed.

Amusing that steamtards think that somehow steam invented selling shit. Imagine the genius of Gaben, to invent selling and save PC gaming in one swift move. :lol:

hurr durr. how did steam manage that? by giving you the option to not go out and pay your local games store but get it cheaper faster and more convinient. They killed retail by being better (one can argue about owning or renting but steam only "renting" stuff didnt seem to outweigh the positives for enough people, else there would still be physical copies)

Yeah, a lot of ways. Like, the many games that are available on Steam only. So many ways to get those. Well, I guess you'd think it's absolutely fine for me to pirate games that are exclusive to Steam as well, right? Since Steam is not "sucking me off", I don't need it, so I might as well pirate the games. Am I getting this right here?

Except, actually, I don't even consider pirating Steam-exclusive games. They can just fuck off.

correct. peoples morales are their own and if you dont like steam and if something is steam exclusive you either pirate or dont play. valid options. Alos, again since it keeps being forgotten, its not steams fault that games are steam exclsusive, it probably costs devs nothing to list games on GoG or any other of the multitude of shops, even without steam keys. If I made a Game and wanted to sell it I use every shop, because why would I give a fuck if only ten people buy from gog, good for these ten, it costs me almost nothing to get my game there. (maybe a blowjob for the quality control tranny)

Notice that by being better I dont mean strictly better but only what enough people consider better than the the rest to drive the rest out of business, because I would sure like to be able to still get retail games with cool stuff and without stem to actually own it physically, but I am just one guy. In the same vein that enough people consider apple better than other brands.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

What's even funnier is that I said in multiple posts in this thread that I also buy from itch.io or directly from the developer's website if the game isn't available on Steam or GoG, which are my preferred stores.

The difference is that itch.io and developer websites don't have launchers. I just download a nice little .exe or .rar file with which I can install the game, and for which I won't have to log into any launcher account to play it.

Epic is yet another launcher, that doesn't offer me even a quarter of the features Steam does, so why would I buy anything on Epic when it has all the drawbacks of a launcher, without any of the benefits?

Meanwhile GoG Galaxy is an optional launcher that installs my DRM-free games which I can also download as installers, itch.io lets me download DRM-free installers, and developer websites with direct downloads likewise.

It should be pretty obvious why they're superior to installing yet another launcher that binds its games to an account.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So it's either Epic or nothing?

I wouldn't touch Epic any more than I touch Steam.

Also, if it makes you happy, if I was in the business of renting games (which I'm not) I'd also choose Steam over Epic.

You steamtards can't get it through your head that what I'm saying is that Epic or Steam is the same shit for me.

hurr durr. how did steam manage that? by giving you the option to not go out and pay your local games store but get it cheaper faster and more convinient. They killed retail by being better (one can argue about owning or renting but steam only "renting" stuff didnt seem to outweigh the positives for enough people, else there would still be physical copies)

Yes, retail was killed because Steam catered to the lowest common denominator. The convenience-fag. Who doesn't care or most of the time is unaware that what they're doing is renting, not buying. Hurray for Steam.

If I made a Game and wanted to sell it I use every shop, because why would I give a fuck if only ten people buy from gog, good for these ten, it costs me almost nothing to get my game there. (maybe a blowjob for the quality control tranny)

Then explain to me those who don't do it. If it doesn't cost anything to do it, then why?
I already acknowledged that technically it's not Steam's fault. Not in the sense that they payed the developers. But the result is the same (and worse, even, given how Epic exclusives are 1-year only) and if so many developers stay Steam-only then there must be some reason behind it.

So what happened to FeelTheRads that he hates Steam with such obsession?

The question should be what did Steam ever did for me.
Apparently it needs to "suck you off". And Steam didn't do that to me. So I guess I'll just hate it.

Cromwell

Arcane
Then explain to me those who don't do it. If it doesn't cost anything to do it, then why?
I already acknowledged that technically it's not Steam's fault. Not in the sense that they payed the developers. But the result is the same (and worse, even, given how Epic exclusives are 1-year only) and if so many developers stay Steam-only then there must be some reason behind it.

I dont know, laziness? Dont think the low sales matter for them? Dont give a fuck?

The question should be what did Steam ever did for me.
Apparently it needs to "suck you off". And Steam didn't do that to me. So I guess I'll just hate it.

For me it was sales (especially when they had flashsales) and patch convinience also steamworks. After a point you use it because you already have a library there. Steam also was my first (and I started late) I used gog for their old games (and stopped for their curating policy) and dont need any other. I also buy games from various sources even if they only give out steam keys.

I will never use any other shop app because I already have one that does what I need (except if they suck me off with something new), and pisisng me off with exclusives wont help them.

But I think the tone with which they did it namely shitting on their consumers and praising the devs was even worse for me than the exclusives itself. Theres also the whole china thing and the fact sweeny is just so absolutely unlikeable, like he actually trained to be this good at it.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

I dont know, laziness? Dont think the low sales matter for them? Dont give a fuck?

More like you guys have no idea of the real cost to deal with another storefront like GOG. It's not just waving a magic wand and everything is set up, it takes time and if you're a small studio that has to constantly develop to pay the bills, it may indeed not be worth the time to do so

Cromwell

Arcane
More like you guys have no idea of the real cost to deal with another storefront like GOG. It's not just waving a magic wand and everything is set up, it takes time and if you're a small studio that has to constantly develop to pay the bills, it may indeed not be worth the time to do so

Yeah I dont know anything about that. But if its that hard than its another pro for steam and still not steams fault that the other stores are worse.

passerby

Arcane
I said in multiple posts in this thread that I also buy [...] directly from the developer's website

Downloading a client and doing the first purchase on Epic is about exactly as much hassle as doing the first purchase on developer website and downloading manually installer.

From this point the most basic but also essential advantages are:
1) Each subsequent purchase from any dev on the store is much more convenient.
2) Downloading and updating all games you have there is more convenient than deailing with seoarate developer websites for each game.

It may not be Steam, but in a world of long periods of post release support with patches and DLCs, it sure is way more convenient than dealing with it manually.

Lets look at finances, the cheapest payment processor BMT Micro will charge 9,5% for processing a sale from developer website.
I think 2,5% over that is easily worth covenience even as basic platform as Epic provides, not counting exposure to 70M user base, plus free Unreal license if the game uses it.

At this point selling on the dev website is pointless, an unnecessary hassle for both the dev and customers.
Of course you could say that you care about the game and the company behind it about as much, as about BigMac and burgerflipper that works in Macdonalds. Fine enough, are you really a person who think that about your hobby though ?

So when you say you'd bother to buy from the dev website, but Epic is where you draw the line, it's completely irrational. You are just a children throwing a tantrum as a result of purely emotional response.
There is no fundamental difference between your hate boner toward Epic and FeelTheRads toward Steam. If anything his position is at least intelectually honest and consistent.

[...] if the game isn't available on Steam or GoG, which are my preferred stores.

And this is why exclusives was the only way to go.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Downloading a client and doing the first purchase on Epic is about exactly as much hassle as doing the first purchase on developer website and downloading manually installer.
But if you really want to support developer by buying from developer's website he will get 100% of your money and you don't need to pay for shitty service of epic store.
Problem with epic store - they DON'T deserve their cut at all. I see no reason to pay them 30, or 12, or even 2%.

Last edited:

passerby

Arcane
Age of Decadence sales from Iron Tower website were processed by BMT Micro, it charges 9,5%.

Epic service may be not as good as Steam, but it's better than no service at all.

Edit: Why you guys respond to a post you didn't read and why I bother responding to you ?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So when you say you'd bother to buy from the dev website, but Epic is where you draw the line, it's completely irrational. You are just a children throwing a tantrum as a result of purely emotional response.
There is no fundamental difference between your hate boner toward Epic and FeelTheRads toward Steam. If anything his position is at least intelectually honest and consistent.

If I download the game's installer from the dev's website, it is DRM-free and independent of any launcher and the account that is associated with that launcher. I can copy the installer to my external HDD and save it forever, it will still work in 30 years without the need for an internet connection.

That is the difference.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Not directly related but interesting comment by Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick : https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-09-19-next-gen-wont-see-dev-costs-spike-take-two

"The world has changed. When we consider a console release, the PC format can be 40% or 50% now of that revenue. Ten years ago, that number was 1% or 2%. Clearly, the world is changing. A previously closed system is indeed turning into an open system. That means hardware is going to look more like hardware and less like hardware taxing software, which is great news for us."

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
On the one hand that's a pretty sweet giveaway, but on the other hand anyone inters ted probably got those games long ago on Steam. Still, I'll take the Lego ones, which I might play with my wife someday.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hadn't played Arkham Knight yet so that's a nice bonus. Still though. I only ever launch Epic to claim free games and occasionally to play one of them.

It's done nothing to make me want to use it in the same way I use Steam. Same story with every other launcher. I'd love to see actual data on how many people will take Epic or another store over Steam when a game is available on both

Perkel

Arcane
nice. I played first one and i remember it being quite good but never bothered with sequels for some reason.
Lego ones are apparently pretty fun to play in co-op.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Fucking Rockstar launcher. Fuck this shit. If companies don't want to give another store a cut, fine, that's cool. But sell the games directly on their fucking website. Let me pay there and download an installer in return. Don't require yet another fucking application on top of it.

It is amazing that people can be so angry about launcher that existed since GTA5 on Steam became a thing.
To play GTA5 you had to login first into rockstar club without it you couldn't play gta5.

Though it would be amazing if rockstar would take away GTA5 from Steam and bring it to Epic.
The butt-hurt would be of an epic proportions and would be amazing to watch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom