Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Epic vs Steam - the console war comes to PC

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by LESS T_T, Dec 4, 2018.

1. J1M Arcane

J1M
    This conversation is becoming stale. People are repeating themselves.

Hypothetical question: If Epic's Store went DRM-free like GOG, would any of you change your mind about it or prefer it to Steam? Is it enough of a feature to change your preferred platform?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Yes Yes x 3
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. zwanzig_zwoelf Stargazer Developer

zwanzig_zwoelf
    I dunno why you guys are mad.

Epic gives developers money to make impatient people pay for the right to betatest the game for a year before the inevitable Steam and GOG release.

In the end you get a superior and more polished product. Right, right?

:troll:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    • Funny x 3
    • Makes you think... x 3
    • Yes x 2
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • Slurp this person's delicious asshole x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. normie Learned Zionist Agent

normie
    urr what if epic was gog durr

wtf i love epic now

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. cosmicray Educated

cosmicray
    Were it DRM-free, there is no "change platform" argument. You treat it like store to buy and download installer. And yes, DRM-free is better than Steam any day.

• Agree x 7
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    If it doesn’t force me to install another program? Sure, why not?

^ Top  
  6. J1M Arcane

J1M
    In this hypothetical you still have to install the launcher to complete the purchase and initiate the download.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    That’s dumb.

I already have a torrent client installed.

• Brofist x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Edgy x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Chad J. Thundercock ヽ(✿゚▽゚)ノ Patron

Chad J. Thundercock
    I'd change my mind so far as to not hating it and anything to do with it, but I'd still find the paid-exclusivity deals stupid.
    I would not prefer it to Steam, as I have hundreds of games on that platform (many of which I have gotten for free), I talk to all my friends on Steam, Epic has no CD key sites which makes it cheaper for me to buy my games and because Steam will forever have a better catalogue of old games.

EGS is not 100% certain if it wants to do the "curation" thing a la GOG which will eventually arbitrarily leave out some really good games (i.e. the recent Grimoire thing on GOG) but unfortunately that is the most likely scenario. Steam isn't perfect either on this front, I may add, as Steam has recently banned and disallowed a fair few anime ecchi visual novels and games without any solid reasoning, going against their previous statement of "we will allow anything on Steam and hand off better curation and filtering tools for those who do not want that content" which is very unfortunate and was supposed to be their entire goal with Steam Direct.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    nobody could have possibly seen this coming
    nope
    not at all

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    The implication that it's a one-to-one comparison is bullshit. Steam never locked their game onto their platform and indeed, many are available on various other outlets such as GoG, itch.io, the developer's website, etc.,

^ Top  
  11. Multi-headed Cow Scholar

Multi-headed Cow
    Didn't collect your free copies of Subnautica and Slime Rancher eh? Good man.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • what? what? x 2
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    So you, Chinese Spyware Fanboys, saying there is overlap between Epic and Steam?
    You can get lots of games both on Steam and GOG. How many games can you get both from Steam and from Epic store?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 4
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    Если бы у бабушки был хуй, она была бы дедушкой.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    Free money is difficult to resist. And given how people can't stick to boycotts or anything such to save their life I'm pretty sure all these devs who jumped ship are simply relying on everyone forgetting they did it in the first place a year from now so they can buy the game on Steam. It remains to be seen if any long term damage to reputations has been done other than people being outraged in niche parts of the internet.

What I don't get is there are people who got onto Epic's store for the free games and have no interest in ever using it otherwise. Why not just pirate said games in the first place if that's your intention? For god's sake, piracy has less strings attached than seemingly a legitimate digital retailer does by the looks of it.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. you know what time it is Arcane

you know what time it is
    I'm not particularly fond of Valve in terms of game development, but as far as Steam is concerned - it's the devil you know, that happens to work fairly well too, so unless you have an unhealthy obsession with brands and buy into the whole "exclusivity is good for the business" shit (which makes no sense from a user PoV unless you are a shareholder) - there's no reason to switch.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Just like with consoles it's more likely exclusives will continue. But, just like Richard said, the new competitive environment could bring benefits players have always dreamt about (cross-platform play, dedicated servers, both of which were already announced/leaked) and others nobody can even see yet. That's how markets work.

As for features - https://trello.com/b/GXLc34hk/epic-games-store-roadmap.

• hopw roewur ne x 3
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. GrainWetski Arcane

GrainWetski
    Retards are just painting it as Epic vs Steam because it looks better than what it actually is: Epic vs PC gaming.

They remove a game from GOG and the shills still keep harping on about Steam and Valve. They should try to be a bit more subtle, but when you get all your thoughts directly from Sweeney and gamejournos I guess that's hard.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Because Fornite money is not infinite.
    They can fund games, guarantee sales because right now they sit on pot of gold.
    But that pot of gold will eventually dry up.

It is also problem of scale. Right now they can fund it but when they will get that sizeable chunk of market and games will start selling well there stuff like guaranteed sales etc will be things that will go into 10s and 100s of millions and that is something even Fornite money can't sustain for long period of time.
    The other avenue here that is worth mentioning is that this might push other stores to fund themselves some games.
    Velve has minimal cost of operating but they take 30% cut for years upon years. If Epic will start to eat into their business they will have to answer themselves.

Remember when GOG got into market ? They were the ones who started this whole free games on their store every once in while. What happened after that ? Both steam and rest started to do it because they realized it is good strategy to get people using their store.

From dev position it will be really fucking great situation. In current situation Steam doesn't give a flying fuck about you as developer. Meanwhile Epic is behaving like pimp who showers you as a dev with money because by doing that they will grow.
    So imagine for a second that Steam and maybe 1 or 2 other join that practice. Suddenly as a small dev you go from 0 support to 2-4 places that would give you something for giving your game exclusivity to their store.

And it is not like PC is console market so regardless of what store you choose your game will be played by everyone who wants to play it.

Also people who believe Steam benevolence: Steam never improved because it wanted to give you great service. They improved because their main competitor wasn't on PC but on consoles. They improved tools, network etc because they wanted to get console people. This is the reason why they introduced Big Picture, Steam Link and other stuff. They also competed with themselves because they knew that by improving their services they can increase market size.

So adding Epic or other big stores just gives Steam even more incentive to improve in long run.
    Who know maybe if Epic will have ability to stop updates on demand and stay on one version of patch, Steam will go back to their earlier rules. Praise competition !

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    But...isn't this also the reason why people should be less butthurt about the Epic store? It's just a thing you have to download for free to play some games.

Man I understand how Epic's aggressive moves come across as jerk-ish, but this is another "gamer moral panic", just like Denuvo, just like Steam itself was 15 years ago. It's hard not to become cynical about this stuff after you've seen it happen so many times.

Basically whenever a new company shows up on the scene and says "We're new, we're different, and we're going to change everything!", a segment of the gaming audience freaks out and declares them evil incarnate when they're usually just annoying. People are people I guess, it's something companies have to take into account.

• retadred x 5
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    • Disagree x 3
    • NPC #61873 came up with this opinion all by his / herself x 2
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    They are don't bring anything new, they actually offer less than anyone else.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    No, as I've stated before, the main issue with them is buying Exclusivity, the PC ecosystem has existed for decades and Steam has been acting as a Digital Distribution platform since 2005, yet we haven't seen any Digital Distribution platform stoop as low as to pay off/bribe third-party developers and Indies for exclusivity deals and to explicitly keep them off competing platforms. Even EA, Activision and UbiSoft haven't stooped that low.

This practice is console bullshit that has plagued their marketplace since their inception has NO PLACE in PC Gaming and if one party starts with it, others will likely not be far behind. The only worse thing I can imagine is "Game Streaming" actually succeeding. I've opted out of "exclusivity" shenanigans by not buying any major consoles for 20 years, it'll not be hard to refrain from indulging Epic and their bullshit.

Fuck Epic and fuck every Motherfucking Asshole acting like an Apologist for them. Go drink a bottle of bleach.

• Brofist Brofist x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Mark Richard Prophet

Mark Richard
    The purpose of digital platform exclusives is to get you invested, to set up roots on the platform. There's a point when the amount of new people being converted starts shrinking rapidly, and it becomes unsustainable to toss briefcases full of cash around in the face of those diminishing returns. If exclusives stick around for the long haul they'll be limited to a very select few. 'Killer apps', 'system sellers', or whatever the kids are calling them these days. Games that would be considered a form of torture on this forum.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Strange Fellow Magister Patron

Strange Fellow
    Because Steam is a reliable source of reasonably priced games. I'm not sure what else anyone wants, apart from a DRM-free alternative, which the Epic Store is not. The issue with monopolies is that it gives the monopoliser freedom to screw over their customers, and Steam doesn't do that. If it starts, there are alternatives. The way I see it, there's no need for preventive measures.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    Epic store could be perfect alternative to Steam. Back in 2005. But it's not fucking 2005 anymore.

• Yes Yes x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. BlackAdderBG Arcane Patron

BlackAdderBG
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Epic "new" :nocountryforshitposters:

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)