Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Comte

Todd Howards adventures collecting Ceramic for his hobo shelters toilet.

"I had this moment where I needed ceramic. And I asked 'what's ceramic?' Ok, coffee mugs have ceramic. Where I was in the game there was a drive-in theater and they had a gift shop. 'Oh I bet they have coffee mugs.' I see the coffee mugs in it and I run in and 'BAM!' this landmine trap kills me. Blows me up.

So I reload the game. I gotta be really careful this time and get the coffee mug. And for some reason I missed it again and it kills me again. So then I get a follower who's with me, and you can command them, and I said 'go in and get the coffee mug.' And the follower goes in.

BAM! The thing goes off. But it doesn't kill me. But it blows the coffee mug out of the gift shop and into the grass. So now I'm hunting through the grass for this coffee mug. And you could not script that. It was this total combat just about getting this coffee mug. You would never have a designer who would say 'I have this scenario with landmines and a coffee mug you need.' It was all in my head. But it always stuck with me afterwards. I had one of my favorite experiences trying to get a coffee mug."
-Todd Howard-

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
At *minimum* it will get at least get a 90. There is no way the hand picked Professional Journalism™ reviews they use will score less than that for a major AAA developer/publisher.

You are right, but a man can dream.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
One day, Bethesda will *possibly* make a disaster like Colonial Marines, or Destiny, but that day is not today. The current Professional Gaming Journalists™ continue to worship the ground these developers walk on.

But then again, there isn't any ACTUAL mainstream Journalists that do any critical gaming reviews. It's all SLURP SLURP SLURP.

Fairfax

Arcane
One day, Bethesda will *possibly* make a disaster like Colonial Marines, or Destiny, but that day is not today. The current Professional Gaming Journalists™ continue to worship the ground these developers walk on.
TESO already failed at first, but if you're talking about the core team (Bethesda Game Studios), it'll be many, many years from now, unfortunately. I mean, TES VI is already in pre-production, and that should take another 3-4 years. Then it's FO5, then TES VII, and so on. I don't see journos getting tired of that anytime soon, and I see Todd catering to their audience even further every step of the way.
The hype for TESVI will be huge, unlike anything they've had so far, considering the game will be released at least 7 years after Skyrim.

Baron

Arcane
As the days tick by, and the release seems imminent, everything I read about Fallout 4 leaves me...

mqdefault.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
As long as they continue to add fresh new action that the moronic general console gaming public enjoys (adding dragons to Skyrim was completely brilliant, and that is why is sold MILLIONS!!!~1111111!!!), they will continue to be orally serviced by the Professional Gaming Journalist™ media. And continue to bring MILLIONS to the bank.

Even the absolute fucking RAPE of the Fallout setting is just pure fucking vomit inducing. But the general gaming public doesn't give a shit, they just want to PEW PEW AND WIN TEH GAEM and OMG PURTY GRAFFIX!!!!11!

Ugh.

DeepOcean

Arcane
TESO already failed at first, but if you're talking about the core team (Bethesda Game Studios), it'll be many, many years from now, unfortunately. I mean, TES VI is already in pre-production, and that should take another 3-4 years. Then it's FO5, then TES VII, and so on. I don't see journos getting tired of that anytime soon, and I see Todd catering to their audience even further every step of the way.
The hype for TESVI will be huge, unlike anything they've had so far, considering the game will be released at least 7 years after Skyrim.
Hey, but think positively, Bethesda could allow Obsidian to do a spin off, imagine what Avellone and the New Vegas lead writer, Gonzales could do, right? Ohh wait...:negative:

upwardlymobile

forum posting consultant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Todd Howards adventures collecting Ceramic for his hobo shelters toilet.
you make ceramic items out of coffee mugs? what happened to clay? it's not like you can weld broken up coffee mugs together and get ceramic

todd is such a moron

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Anybody thinkin' we gon' get a spin-off like New Vegas after Fallout 4? We had Vegas after 3, seems natural to let a talented studio do the "sequel" to Fo4

Fairfax

Arcane
Hey, but think positively, Bethesda could allow Obsidian to do a spin off, imagine what Avellone and the New Vegas lead writer, Gonzales could do, right? Ohh wait...:negative:
I was looking at the FNV credits on the Fallout wiki the other day. They lost the lead artist, audio director, lead programmer, most area designers, 3 of the 4 main writers (MCA, Gonzalez, Stout), multiple additional writers (including Ziets), 2 of the 3 character designers, and many others.
Obsidian is a shadow of its former self. At this point, I'd rather see them give it to Arkane, which I think is the natural choice:

Obsidian has 100 of its ~200 people working on Armored Warfare, which is still in beta, and every key member of the FNV team left in the company is working on the PoE expansion. They'll probably work on the sequel after that, which has been pretty much confirmed by everyone. They also got a pretty bad deal last time around and would definitely try to negotiate a better one now.

With Arkane it'll stay in-house, as they belong to ZeniMax, so they'd have full control over everything and no extra costs involved. Dishonored 2 is coming out in Q2 2016, which means it should be finished in the first quarter. Give them 18 months and you have Fallout: [Paris? lol] in late 2017.
I'm probably in a minority here, but I really liked the gameplay in Dark Messiah and Dishonored, and they'll probably fix TESVI combat like id helped with FO4's gunplay. I think Arkane could do a fine job with Fallout, much better than Bethesda, at least. Plus, who knows, MCA could collaborate with them from a distance as a freelancer.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Unless it happens to be the secret project that they've been working on since Feb 2014, Obsidian isn't making a Fallout game.

Then again, considering how long it apparently takes Bethesda to release their games these days, they could start it two years from now and still be done before Elder Scrolls VI comes out. Heck, we could have had two more New Vegas sequels in the time it took them to release FO4.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I can see Bethesda letting Arcane doing a spin off. I enjoyed Dishonored despite many of its faults, so if they get the job I would be cautiously optimistic.

Unless it happens to be the secret project that they've been working on since Feb 2014, Obsidian isn't making a Fallout game.

Then again, considering how long it apparently takes Bethesda to release their games these days, they could start it two years from now and still be done before Elder Scrolls VI comes out. Heck, we could have had two more New Vegas sequels in the time it took them to release FO4.

When did Obsidian start working on New Vegas, I know it was announced a decent amount of time after Fallout 3 was released?

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
So, are the Railroad/Brotherhood/Minutemen factions at least mutually exclusive? The way the trailer and achievements went I had some vague hope that maybe there was a spot of Incline there, but nothing here seems to indicate one way or another.

With this dialogue system:

Not much.
If we want to be play the optimist, converting the dialogue cross into a Human Revolution-style honeycomb w/ synopsis of what you want to say might let the developer of any theoretical spin-off salvage it.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
With every Bethesda game since Morrowind I had some hope modders will fix it. It did come true only with Skyrim which did became playable with mods unlike Fallout 3 and Oblivion. Right off the bat both dialog system and perk window looks anything but mod friendly. Also I have a feeling Bethesda will try to again monetize mods so I have little hope for Fallout 4 to be fixed by modders.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Fallout 4 will receive 47 on Metacritic. Worst Bethesda game evar.

Oh, you lovely and innocent dreamers...

BTW Was the son-robot theory true? lel

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom