Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fluent Plays Elder Scrolls Online

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think I ever found ESO challenging in any way. It's one of the reasons I never played a character to the "end".

But that's the only time it gets tougher... nearer the end. Do you solo the bosses in delves and things like that? Did you try soloing world bosses? I killed a few of them by myself. You can find challenge in the game. Also the group dungeons are generally challenging.
I always solo, not much interest in grouped content - it's also one of the reasons I do play ESO sometimes, as it is very solo friendly.

I also believe everyone saying the end game content is the best/most challenging/whatever. But that only means that all other content needs an upgrade. As I said already, I don't play games for very long until I get to the fun part. Instead I play them until they stop being fun to me. I think my highest character was in their 40s, but I'd have to look it up.

Also, I know I sound rather negative about it, but there are some really good things in ESO. It's just that neither the skill system nor the level scaling are it.
The most fun with the game I definitely had with a Thief-like character, stealing and then being chased by guards on your way to the fence was pretty awesome.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
What's the difference between this and Guild Wars 2 (besides the art direction and lore, I'm talking gameplay and game design) ?
Actual question.
Similar but some things are different. ESO world feels bigger and more like a real world, and you just explore however you feel. GW2 is a bit more planned and gamey, and there are skill points in out of the way places, one in each region, that you have to fight towards and collect. It makes exploration more methodical. And you have to do some sort of 3rd person platformer jumping to reach some places. The quests are a bit more dynamic than ESO, and things happen in the world like a wagon will travel from one town to another and it will be ambushed, and people nearby will get a notification to go and get involved, if they want to. But mostly I found it to be gimmicky and boring. ESO has open world bosses that people go to and fight which I found to be more fun. But still kinda mindless.

GW2 tried to destroy the concept of combat roles, so nobody can tank or heal. It sounded good on paper but I thought the reality sucked. In a dungeon everyone just runs around like headless chickens, if they get attacked they run away and the enemy attacks someone else. Basically everyone tanks a bit. Everyone does damage a bit. And most people have a little heal they can use on themselves etc. I would guess it became meta at some point and people figured out some tricks or something, but when I played at release, it was really stupid and a huge failure in terms of improving the trinity concept. ESO is more traditional, tanks, healers, dps. ESO dungeons are highly scripted, highly tuned, bosses throw lava at you and you have to dive out the way etc. Really challenging too, weak groups can fail over and over. I can't really remember the GW2 dungeons but I think it is similar, only not as good. GW2 has some fun PVP maps where you have to capture locations and stuff, like WoW battlegrounds. I don't think ESO has that. But ESO has a big open world PVP region which is much better than GW2's open world PVP region. This might have changed since I played though, I haven't played GW2 since it was released and everyone thought the open world PVP was stupid and a clusterfuck, so maybe they changed it.

GW2 depresses me because the beta was super difficult. Killing one enemy by yourself was pretty 50/50 whether you could survive. It did so much damage to you, and you didn't do much back. So you had to dive all over the place and run in circles and run for your life and then blast it and run some more and repeat until it is dead. I loved it because it meant that you really had to focus on perfecting your combat routine, every hit point mattered, and I was really motivated to become as strong as I could. And I would spend an hour to fight across an area to get a skill point and I would feel like YESSSSSS!!!!! because I really needed the boost. But the players said it was too hard so it got nerfed. And then it got nerfed again. And then on release it nerfed a third time. And I think since then it has been nerfed some more... So when I last played it, you just run through groups of mobs and press a few buttons and they all explode. You don't even need to fight to skill points anymore, just run there and ignore anything that attacks you. Sad times. But lots of normies like it so whatever. It isn't for me. I think ESO is a lot better but even that I only played for about a month. I would have loved ESO if the end game was better. I think if I got into the pvp I could have played it a lot longer, but I have so much other stuff to play.
Thank you very much sir.
I played GW2 with friends back at release and felt let down upon realising it wasn't going to be like the first game (which was basically some coop game as long as progression was concerned, and was sufficiently challenging as well).
I didn't know that it was actually supposed to be on par during the beta.
Shame indeed.
Is teso worth a try for someone who doesn't care a bit about the elder scrolls lore ?

Deleted Member 16721

It's enhanced by the lore. If you know something about the lore then you get a lot more out of it, but I guess it would be fun for a newbie too.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I angrily skip lore and dialogue in every game, so yeah, give it a shot. It isn't even in my top 5 MMOs though but most of those are not available anymore anyway :C

Deleted Member 16721

I rolled a bow focused Nightblade and it's pretty difficult, especially boss fights. I see others slaughtering enemies easily but my puny bow takes like 50 shots to take something down.

Mortmal

Arcane
I rolled a bow focused Nightblade and it's pretty difficult, especially boss fights. I see others slaughtering enemies easily but my puny bow takes like 50 shots to take something down.
https://alcasthq.com/
Most people copy those build ,there must be something very wrong with yours. You know how to weave at least ?

Deleted Member 16721

Weave? I won't copy a build. I'm doing better since I started using the slash attack up close.

One minor nitpick is that other than quests there isn't typical TES gameplay. You can't do much just exploring without a quest as there's not much to do. Questing however, is awesome.

Mortmal

Arcane
Weave? I won't copy a build. I'm doing better since I started using the slash attack up close.

One minor nitpick is that other than quests there isn't typical TES gameplay. You can't do much just exploring without a quest as there's not much to do. Questing however, is awesome.
its an EXTREMELY important feature in eso. You have to place a light attack before each skill, the skill will cancel the light attack animation thus allow you to greatly improve your dps, you can also anim cancel by switching bars and blocking. I highly suggest you taking inspiration from those builds, and set up a rotation of skills. If you dont ,dont even bother to group, you will be "that guy" a burden to the others .
Do as i say and your runs will take 20 min max while with a "cool dudes" groupe that dont bother with builds and rotation it will take hours of wipe.
Installe the add on combat metrics , and also light attack helper. You are supposed to land 0.8-0.9 attack /s.

Deleted Member 16721

That sounds incredibly lame. Don't ruin my fun with the game. I will be 'that guy' and not weave, mmk.

Mortmal

Arcane
You want a citation Fluent ? il will give you one , there's people who optimize their builds, who work on their rotation, learn the strategies. When there's one buffoon doing 2% of the group dps and say "lol" after wiping , not bothering to learn the encounter mechanics, that's not fun for me. No one want cancerous players like you. I dont expect the very best players all the time, but at least people who try to learn to play.

Deleted Member 16721

Who said I wouldn't learn strategies and rotations and optimize my build? I said I wouldn't animation cancel, you put the rest of the words in my mouth. I'm just fine with working on my character to be the best it can be. But I won't copy a build to do so.

ADL

Prophet
When people say animation canceling, autistic levels of frame counting come to mind but really it's just when you left click, you can use an ability and it has a good chance of being used before the weapon attack animation is complete. I have a feeling you're doing that already. Most people do.

Mortmal

Arcane
When people say animation canceling, autistic levels of frame counting come to mind but really it's just when you left click, you can use an ability and it has a good chance of being used before the weapon attack animation is complete. I have a feeling you're doing that already. Most people do.
Join a pickup group, see combat metric doing 30% of the group dps as tank....Invite guildmembers , look at combat metrics 7% dps as tank, trash mobs packed dieing in one sec. Most people dont, and lots are completely retarded.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Alright I tried it out. The combat is fucked even by mmo standards. I understand the point is to build some optimised character at high level but the first levels are really boring in that department. (inb4 every mmo has boring combat in the first levels, I know but at least they don't require me to spam my mouse).
Besides that, damn that's pretty good. Actual exploration, actual loot with no trash "grey shit that's here for the sake of it", level scaling which basically means there are two levels : non-max and max. Sounded retarded when I read about it but I see the benefit now.
Ironically, the aspects inherited from the elder scrolls series makes it a pretty well designed mmo as long as progression is concerned. Permanent mouselock + constant level scaling + fashion makes for an actual feeling of discovery.
Public dungeons are apparently all copy pasted and consist of a bunch of corridors and rooms filled with the same mobs. There's usually a "stronger" mob who drop gems.
Gems are another good surprise. Actual cost to resurection and shit, got too rare in this genre recently.

In the end i'm not surprised that the TES formula makes for better mmo's than rpgs. I'll just trust what I've read here and there about the late game and give it a try these next months.
PS : I read that the subscription was almost necessary for inventory management and whatnot (it's often the case in these games) but I really don't see the point. How long can I afford to "test" the game before paying becomes mandatory ?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I can't remember, about level 30 or something, you start to drown in junk loot that you need to deconstruct and craft into something useful. I think you can get by without paying but you kinda screw yourself. I just waited until the last minute then subbed for 1 month. And in that one month I saw everything and reached max level. The only reason I quit is because the group dungeons and raiding at the high levels is really weak and tedious and disappointing :C But I didn't do the PVP which would have added a lot longer.

p.s. By late game I think all my gear was from dungeons anyway so the money/stuff I made from crafting was probably pointless, so the subscription was probably pointless. But it was only a month so never mind.

Last edited:

Mud'

Scholar
its an EXTREMELY important feature in eso.

I dont think that shit its a feature at all, its just a bug/glitch that somehow made it to the meta.

Now i wonder, what would happen if the devs fixed that exploit?

Deleted Member 16721

Why can most people jump in and kill an enemy I would have taken 6 or 7 hits to in 2 or 3? I thought it was all level scaled?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
It is but uber gear can take you way ahead of the curve. And also builds make a huge difference. I had a full dps build that was really squishy, but I could destroy most mobs before they even landed a single hit on me. But then I switched to a build that did much less damage, but healed itself and was super tanky and it meant I could solo world bosses.

Mortmal

Arcane

I dont think that shit its a feature at all, its just a bug/glitch that somehow made it to the meta.

That's exactly what happened, but the vet dungeons and trial are designed with that now, so you dont do it you are not competitive. I wish they had fixed it too.

Gerrard

Arcane

The combat would become even more mind numbingly dreadful.

This game would've been godlike if it had action combat, they needed to tell all the WoWfags to get up with the times or fuck off.

Codex Year of the Donut

The combat would become even more mind numbingly dreadful.

This game would've been godlike if it had action combat, they needed to tell all the WoWfags to get up with the times or fuck off.
Has nothing to do with WoW, everything to do with consoles. It's why it's limited to 5 buttons and you have to swap weapons.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
195384.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom