Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You don't really need to do that, you just have to max all resistances either way. And you kinda get a feeling of what kind of damage kills you easily as you play more, but again you just need to max everything. I'd max poison/acid as fast as possible as I've noticed it's the hardest one to avoid and kills you insanely fast, especially in the AoM swamp area. It's also the easiest to max by crafting antivenom.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
As Occultist, Blood of Dreeg takes care of any poison resistance issues. I really should do something about that -21% pierce resistance, tho...

Anyways, had hoped that there would be a bit more finesse to it than just 'maxing all' :/

Lacrymas

Arcane
No, a point of criticism towards the system was always the damage types and the resistances. They are simply different colors and nothing else, only adding more resistances that you have to max on Ultimate, it really isn't that elegant and could've been handled better. As for how you can tell them apart, poison/acid is darkish green, aether is neonish aquamarine, vitality is red and chaos is ...burgundy?

I've finally finished Forgotten Gods. It was a much better expansion than Malmouth IMO, and the last couple of bosses were pretty cool.
886FAD064DF549BF920CD6FABF119306AB23D7BD

I played a very boring necro/occult build, though. I kinda feel like starting a new melee-oriented character but these types of games just put me to sleep now.

Gromlintroid

Learned
I'm currently playing the Reign Of Terror Diablo 2 mod for this and it's pretty good so far.
All the music, dialogue, sfx, etc is in there.
Pretty neat

Perkel

Arcane
1.1.6 is up. Important stuff:

- removed partial components
- new uniques
- general rebalance of many skills and classes
- some skills changed look depending on conversion changing mechanics Blade arc etc.

Apparently after release of Forgotten Sands they again shifted their focus on Grim Dawn and unlike their previous promise to stop supporting GD after FS those plans changed. I wonder if this means new expansion on horizon.

Either way they release now almost monthly new content for free. They even upgraded a bit graphics with new deffered renderer which gives new Very High Particles option in setting that gives each projectile light source.

I'm currently playing the Reign Of Terror Diablo 2 mod for this and it's pretty good so far.
All the music, dialogue, sfx, etc is in there.
Pretty neat

Mod creator plants to remove GD content from it and focus on making sure D2 stuff is correct. There was recent poll about it. Which should improve a lot his mod. I had issue with how GD content meshed with D2 content.

Gromlintroid

Learned
Mod creator plants to remove GD content from it and focus on making sure D2 stuff is correct. There was recent poll about it. Which should improve a lot his mod. I had issue with how GD content meshed with D2 content.

Sweet, it would be a lot better with more D2 items IMO

Perkel

Arcane
No, a point of criticism towards the system was always the damage types and the resistances. They are simply different colors and nothing else, only adding more resistances that you have to max on Ultimate, it really isn't that elegant and could've been handled better. As for how you can tell them apart, poison/acid is darkish green, aether is neonish aquamarine, vitality is red and chaos is ...burgundy?

yeah resistances, armor system and samy skills are main issues with GD.

I really hope they will do GD2.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finally tried it when it was on sale for like 3 dollars few weeks ago.

It's kinda shit. I guess i never learned my lesson. I tried several games in this genre and i couldn't into them everytime. Grim dawn was critically acclaimed, so i was really curious. When i tried i could see how the game is pretty well made but the gameplay ugh. So boring for me. Click click click click click click endless trash mobs.

This aint the game for me, but at least it was cheap.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Yup. I tried some stuff, titan quest, van helsing adventure. I guess GD made me curious again, but yeah the genre isn't for me.

Now i need another game to keep me sane during quarantine. Stardew valley is holding up, but i dont think it can hold my attention for too long anymore. Almost done everything i can in that game.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
It's kinda weird that you find GD click click click boring, but like Stardew Valley. What class did you play? I found melee combat in GD really satisfying and multiclassing opens up quite a lot of possibilities, but something like plain occultist or summoning necro would definitely bore me quickly.

Lacrymas

Arcane
GD is the best example of this genre hands down, with actual challenging content up the butt at end-game. If someone finds it boring, there isn't a better alternative. Maybe Diablo 2 has a better aesthetic due to being 2D, but gameplay-wise GD wins.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
It's kinda weird that you find GD click click click boring, but like Stardew Valley. What class did you play? I found melee combat in GD really satisfying and multiclassing opens up quite a lot of possibilities, but something like plain occultist or summoning necro would definitely bore me quickly.
it's a different genre. similar genre, that i like is divine divinity. i abhor the combat, but the game was so much more than the combat. the towns and quests were fun.

grim dawn so far is just the combat, a system that i never liked. i picked demolitionist because i thought playing guns would be fun. i dunno, i might give it a chance for several more hours and if it still doesnt click i'll move on.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
For the record, I generally think that the genre's biggest problem is that the games are just too drawn out and GD is no different (first Diablo was pretty much the only classic hns game that got the length right imo). But as Lacrymas said - GD is top dog right now so if you don't like it chances are you just need to give up.

With demolitionist I'd advise going for inquisitor multiclass and dual gunslinger. I also had fun with mixing occultist for chaos/fire melee facemelting, but it's a glass cannon that quickly becomes unviable without some autistic gear griding.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
It can be done without top end gear, but it's a combo that doesn't lend itself to easy defensive choices, you're right. Demo-Oathkeeper or Demo-Soldier are better choices for melee facemelting.

There's a legendary set for the Purifier (Demo-Inq), but I cannot get a 2nd piece to drop, let alone a 4th.

HoboForEternity

There are precisely three reasons to play GD: 1) hectic, frenetic combat; 2) the loot/collection game; 3) character building through mixed masteries and associated skills, as well as the Devotion tree. If those don't sound like something you'd be interested in, don't waste your time. A distant fourth reason would be the lore (not story) and atmosphere, which are top notch.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
ok, it's actually starting to be fun when you start unlocking more skills. at least there are variety.

i hope this holds up. at leaast unlike titan quest, the dungeons looks well done and atmosphere is good. in titan quest i got tired after a dozen hours because those dungeons looked so generic. i picked soldier second class. should i change to melee oriented instead of guns?

Modron

Arcane
Yup. I tried some stuff, titan quest, van helsing adventure. I guess GD made me curious again, but yeah the genre isn't for me.

Now i need another game to keep me sane during quarantine. Stardew valley is holding up, but i dont think it can hold my attention for too long anymore. Almost done everything i can in that game.
Try shiet like Divine Divinity, Siege of Avalon, Nox, and Prince of Qin before writing the hack and slash genre off.

Duralux for Durabux

I prefer Titan Quest than Grim Dawn . Ancient mythology was well exploited in Titan quest and because of that it will forever stays in my heart.

As others have said, GD is the best in the genre. If you do stick with it, be prepared for some mid-game burnout once you hit the barrens/farmlands (they just go on waaaay too long), especially if you don't have a pretty well-optimized char build. The game can be extremely punishing to builds that are not well-thought out in advance, especially on higher difficulties but even on lower difficulties there will be at least a couple types of enemies that will steamroll you if you don't have a good understanding of the mechanics/winged your build. To most of us here on the Codex I think this is a point in the game's favor; there are relatively few aRPGs out there featuring straight-up nonviable builds on anything but the highest difficulties, but ymmv there. Haven't played Demo/Soldier, but both are fairly tanky characters so you should have decent survivability albeit without the insane damage that something like Arcanist or Inquisitor can bring to the table. Also take some time to learn the Devotion tree. Understanding the synergies present there will VASTLY increase your viability.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom