Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Has your opinion of Obsidian changed after Avellone’s revelations and Deadfire?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Those who can, do. Those who can't, bitch.

It's been what, 4 months? We have not seen a shred of evidence confirming any of Avellone's claims in the big thread. Not one.

Not a single major website has decided to run with this story. Not one.

Not a single Obsidian employee, former or current, has stepped up to confirm Avellone's revelations. Not one.

Ferstenmaker and Davis came out and flat out said that Avellone is being a drama queen.

He starts this whole "leak offensive" a week before Deadfire launch and then stops shortly after.

Do I go on?

For a website that takes pride in its ability to spot when developers sell snake oil to the audience and seeing through their bullshit, it sure as fuck seems that Codex has been at least slightly gullible during this whole ordeal.

Laughed out loud. Well shit, not a single Obs dev registered on the Codex to spill more dirty laundry? How dare they. Boys, looks like we've been played by Chris, it was all lies after all. qED.

But what beautiful lies. Chris is truly a genius writer!

I've actually worked for a gamedev company where things were exactly the same. It wasn't just the same thing with the owner polluting the project with his dumbfuck tastes in literature games and demanding to redo the entire game interface 3 times cause he changes his mind like a chick on rags, but also about the finances and all the rest. Somehow, I never gave enough fuck about the company in the first place to actually make it public. I just worked to get paid till I could leave. And when I left, I was happy that I did and tried to put it behind me. It's normal behavior.

Chris may be a millionaire with buckaroos to spare on libel lawsuits and whatnot, but normal people don't care enough about this shit to put their wallet on the line.

And as for gaming websites "not picking up on it", shit nigga. Get real.

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Hell I daresay that Larian and even InXile have much better prospects than Obsidian
We've got no idea what kind of dumb shit is happening at inXile. It could be worse. Monty Markland slightly opened the ark for us, but then lost his mind very quickly.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Nothing weird about a leaving a safe-but-boring job where you work on things you don't particularly care about for a more interesting but unstable job where you have the opportunity to work on something you do. Even with Feargus interference, Outer Worlds has role playing as Boyarsky defines it, unlike Diablo.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
In a more perfect life, Mr. Avellone rested well after Planescape:Torment.

He was happy and content. Only the rare man can claim to truly advance his chosen field, and leave behind a legacy that is remembered and cherished.

Mr. Avellone finished his rest, then scratched out a few rough outlines for what would eventually become KOTOR 2 and New Vegas. A wry smirk on his face, he thought briefly on what could be made of his ideas, then turned away without a second thought.

We all remembered what he accomplished in his brief time in the industry. Like a shooting star, his time in gaming was brilliant and short lived. We collectively mourned for what heights he could have achieved.

And so life goes.

Years later, these things became forgotten. Time can magnify the legend, and also cut down those who cherish it.

On a perfectly pleasant day in Australia, a nice day, with a bit of breeze to mediate the summer heat, a car versus pedestrian accident was reported. Although the man crossing the street was unhurt, the car was damaged beyond repair.

This man's possessions were entered into police evidence; a folded tinfoil hat, some beef jerky, an official licenced replication of the genitals of a Mr. Lexington Steele autographed "My humblest regards to the Blakemore family", and an unmarked DVD-ROM.

This is how the world discovered "Grimoire 2: Ultimate GOG Edition Remixed with Manual at this price FOREVER". Also, deep in a fortified bunker at Mr. Blakemore's residence, an unarmed man surrendered following a confused standoff.

Chris Avellone smiled, knowing we would all smile as well. Only Chris could help give us the game Cleve needed to make.

No explanation is really needed.... Perhaps the greatest RPG game of all time was thus discovered.

The royalties from Grimoire 2 keep Cleve as comfortable in prison as allowed. The shackles of his fame and game development chores were released, and he finally found some measure of joy.

Mr. Avellone's release from captivity was bittersweet; he once again found his freedom, but could never regain the creative spark he found in a Cleve's captivity. Afterwards, he lived a simple life, tweeting subtlety racist memes and laughing to himself as the outrage train rolled by.

We almost weep at what could have been.

Flou

Arbiter

It's been what, 4 months? We have not seen a shred of evidence confirming any of Avellone's claims in the big thread. Not one.

Not a single Obsidian employee, former or current, has stepped up to confirm Avellone's revelations. Not one.

Ferstenmaker and Davis came out and flat out said that Avellone is being a drama queen.

He starts this whole "leak offensive" a week before Deadfire launch and then stops shortly after.

Do I go on?

For a website that takes pride in its ability to spot when developers sell snake oil to the audience and seeing through their bullshit, it sure as fuck seems that Codex has been at least slightly gullible during this whole ordeal.

You forgot the part where he started hinting that both Sawyer and Brennecke were looking to get away from Obsidian, just few days before Beast of Winter was released (see a pattern here?).
That's a dick move, not just towards Obsidian but towards his former co-workers. Brennecke might indeed be looking for a change of scenery since his wife seems to life in Vancouver. But does Chris mention this? Of course not, because it fits his agenda to make it seem like Adam is leaving due to Upper Management and their cronies.

He also decided it was good time to check how many employees from FNV were still working at Obsidian to further his cause. He left out the part were about half (or even more) of the employees left due to Stormlands cancellation and because job security was quite sketchy afterwards many people left to greener pastures.
Not to mention he didn't give any source to some of those who left (who still seem to remain at Obsidian according to LinkedIn and recent credited games).

Flou

Arbiter
Laughed out loud. Well shit, not a single Obs dev registered on the Codex to spill more dirty laundry? How dare they. Boys, looks like we've been played by Chris, it was all lies after all. qED.

And Codex would be the only place such information could be shared, right? I bet there's not one gaming media site that would, let's say contact former Obsidian employees to get any confirmation on Avellone's comments, because no one would actually want to get such big scoop/story on their site. That's just not how media works. They wait for the big stories to land on their lap!

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Do I go on?

And as for gaming websites "not picking up on it", shit nigga. Get real.

Not a single current or former employee came out to support him. Let that sink in, mate. According to Avellone, people are leaving Obsidian by the hundreds because they are so tormented by the big bad Feargus. Surely at least some of those hundreds would feel the need to speak up about these terrible hardships they suffered. No? Or maybe at least speak off the record to the press to corraborate the story and give it some traction. Also no? Gee, I wonder why that is. Could it possibly be they don't speak up, because these infinite masses of traumatized employees don't actually exist? One must wonder.

And yeah, nigga, not a single gaming website picked up on it. The same websites that run a 24/7 weekly coverage when Zoe Queen receives a mean tweet, apparently just didn't feel like running a dramatic story about most famous video game writer in the whole industry who had his life turned into living hell by evil, greedy corporate monster. The media should be all over that shit from day one and you know it, and none of them as much as bleeped.

It's crystal clear that something doesn't add up here, but I guess people are too infatuated with a chance to interact with their favorite celebrity to see what's what.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Except most employees aren't legendary game designers and writers who are financially stable for the rest of their lives and can afford to badmouth their former employers with no consequences.

Flou

Arbiter
Except most employees aren't legendary game designers and writers who are financially stable for the rest of their lives and can afford to badmouth their former employers with no consequences.

Media doesn't have to reveal their sources. Sure, it would take some kick out of the article, but still that's an viable option.

Lacrymas

Arcane
What media covered this, exactly? And did they reach out to former employees for input? There was basically no mention of it on mainstream sites, or even other sites that much, unless I've missed a slew of sources covering this story.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Leonard Boyarsky left a high salary position at the most prestigious company in the industry in order to make a game for Obsidian. I don't think he would of done that without good reason.
Urghart probably promised to also give a job to his kids (and his dog).

ArchAngel

Arcane
Boyarsky left Blizzard to stop beign a holy relic for the millennials who don’t even know what he had worked for and decided to go to Fergus who he knows and knows how to work around to do his thing... rather be the king of hell than another empty suit in Blizzard

And as some of us have stated before, regardless of any “proof” the proof is in the pudding; since New Vegas the sheer number of talent that have left Obsidian has been staggering and even if they had the know how and management skills to bring up talent to replace people like Zeitz, Gonzalez and Avellone (just to name a few) the writing and overall world building and design of their games have been less than stellar...those are facts and keep in mind I didn’t hate Pillars and enjoyed Tryanny so I am not talking out of my ass to be edgy or cool; the talent they have is not up to snuff, their writing (supposedly their strength) is from ok to plain old mediocre, quality of their games is not good and their relationship with publishers is definetly not something to be proud of either

Those are FACTS regardless of Avellone’s claims or Fergus fucking his sister on the ass or whatever else... their products are not up to snuff and the “last bastion of true RPG gaming” bubble has finally bust

Hell I daresay that Larian and even InXile have much better prospects than Obsidian; after the EE version of Divinity Original Sin 2 Swen will have carte blanche to do almost anything he wants without having to turn to a single publisher and InXile did screw up with Torment but Bard’s Tale 4 looks good, will probably sell decently even in consoles and the future looks very interesting for Wasteland 3, while Pillars 2 is a comercial disappointment and basically the only thing Obsidian has going right now is Project Indiana which we don’t know anything about... hell it could be an MMO Battle Royale for all we
Know
Fixed it for you, your post was soo 2016.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
And yeah, nigga, not a single gaming website picked up on it. The same websites that run a 24/7 weekly coverage when Zoe Queen receives a mean tweet, apparently just didn't feel like running a dramatic story about most famous video game writer in the whole industry who had his life turned into living hell by evil, greedy corporate monster. The media should be all over that shit from day one and you know it, and none of them as much as bleeped.

When is the gaming media ever reporting on the "greedy corporate monsters", fucktard? Yeah, never, because those "greedy corporate monsters" pay their salaries.

Good one giving the Zoe Queen incident as an example. It's not like the only reason that got attention is because of the SJW agenda of the gaming media and therefore irrelevant to this case in every way. Fucktard.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

You got that backwards. They can get away with it easily if the legendary game designer has their back.

When is the gaming media ever reporting on the "greedy corporate monsters", fucktard? Yeah, never, because those "greedy corporate monsters" pay their salaries.

Bullshit.

1. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/25/opinion/work-culture-video-games-crunch.html
2. https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ustry-exploiting-workforce-ea-spouse-software
3. https://www.gameinformer.com/b/feat...o-game-industrys-notorious-labor-problem.aspx
4. https://kotaku.com/crunch-time-why-game-developers-work-such-insane-hours-1704744577
5. https://www.usgamer.net/articles/th...s-reacting-against-an-article-praising-crunch

10 seconds of Google search. Articles about this stuff come out all the time. Comprehensive op-eds covering many companies, with normal developers speaking under their names. And yet for some reason what should be the biggest story of them all, somehow gets zero coverage. Either Feargus is a mumbling fool, or he is a evil KGB genius playing all the media like a fiddle. Decide on a narrative and stick to it.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
So what is your reasoning, fucktard? If the media is so eager to stir shit up as you say, then just writing about Avellone saying these things should be enough. What then? They're both eager to stir shit up but also have so very high principles that they will only do it if they're sure about it? Fuck off.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I don't think it works that way and I doubt any former or current employees are willing to test that theory in practice. You sure you aren't trying to sneakily defend Obsidian and/or Feargus?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I don't think it works that way and I doubt any former or current employees are willing to test that theory in practice. You sure you aren't trying to sneakily defend Obsidian and/or Feargus?

Are you sure you aren't just ignoring 50 pages of articles I posted with regular developers somehow having courage to talk under their own name, because you sneakily want Avellone to fist you?

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Of course he is, he is always playing the apologist game and sucking up to Fergus!
He has sometimes implied he works at or is somehow connected with Obsidian
As we have stated before even if Avellone is beign a little bitch and over blowing the whole thing of course none of the other employees (current or former) are going to say anything about it because they are afraid (and rightfully so) it could cause them problems

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Are you sure you aren't just ignoring 50 pages of articles I posted with regular developers somehow having courage to talk under their own name, because you sneakily want Avellone to fist you?
Well different people want to be fisted by different devs,we live in a diverse codex. You clearly want Feargus's hot steamy fist up your arse mate,no need to hide your deep desires, we are..... tolerant here.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Well different people want to be fisted by different devs,we live in a diverse codex. You clearly want Feargus's hot steamy fist up your arse mate,no need to hide your deep desires, we are..... tolerant here.

Whoa, that's fucked up man. You do remember I'm his dad, right? I don't know how you do things in Bulgaria, but here we don't fist family members.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Whoa, that's fucked up man. You do remember I'm his dad, right? I don't know how you do things in Bulgaria, but here we don't fist family members.
You are westerners,you are weird and degenerate. If you want to go elbow deep fisting with your "dad" ,well then that is your western prerogative.:salute: I won't judge as long as it is in the west and not in my country.....degenerate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom