Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview "How to make a Torment game" - Mega-Interview with Kevin Saunders and Adam Heine at Iron Tower

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Sensuki Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Pretty good interview, but even better answers from the designers.

The Torment guys really put phucking effort into interviews hey

^ Top  
  2. Lancehead Liturgist

Lancehead
    I do agree that on the surface it sounds obvious (Sawyer says as much also: "cliche"), but I'm not sure it's comparably easy to apply when making a game, which is what Sawyer was trying to point out by emphasizing a cliche motto's importance.

I agree with Clockwork Knight's interpretation.

It mostly depends on what game you're making (e.g. P:E's combat for those who liked BG/IWD combat, T:ToN story/characters for those liked such in PS:T). That also means, on a higher level, when you make a PS:T successor, don't design it for BG enthusiasts, for example.

^ Top  
  3. hiver Guest

hiver
    The questions are pretty standard variety. There is none of the usual... spunkiness of VD questions but the answers are damn good.
    I guess he saves... spunkiness for times where more concrete details are known?
    Great, great read anyway.

rads... dammit... :shakes head:

Sawyer says what you demanded in your post. He doesnt mean designing combat of all kinds, but specific combat style, specific for a specific kind of game - instead of trying to please everyone and designing some shit system so everyone can get into it, or through it.
    Same for dialogue or exploration. The reverse of platitude.

Remember his hard core mod for NV? That was not designed for everyone, right?
    That was designed for people that like combat - and designed for combat system of that specific game, of course.
    With additions of other features since it isnt combat only mod.

And if you see what they plan for combat in other answers about it - its clear what that all corresponds too.
    Kevin talks about freedom they have by not having to deal with publisher and ... blah, blah, blah...why am i talking to you anyway?

:smacks Rads over the head:

/

These words there, whether how they themselves are living trying to find the answer to the main question, or how they understand and observe their own legacy - that can be achieved through very creation of this game, or parts about combat, or other features - kind of really bring up my hopes for something ... better. Not in the sense of screaming how awesome its going to be but, maybe ... it makes me shift more towards the center and balance that started to slide towards some little hell ... after slogging through all those mass market biodrone suggestions and posts on user voice.

^ Top  
  4. Scruffy The janitor Patron

Scruffy
    Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
    "We’ve talked about the basic structure of our writing organizational approach before, so I’ll just mention that part briefly here"

eight paragraphs of stuff follow

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    The interview was very good btw. Kevin Saunder's answers were very detailed with a mix of what I expected to hear and insight. I can't think of anything to really respond to because it all sounds good so far.

I only quoted Sawyer because I thought it was a nice sentiment, I swear I didn't mean to start this.

^ Top  
  6. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Monstroterratum Furiosum Patron

MicoSelva
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
  7. CappenVarra phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra
    Pretty cool interview. Now we just need them to fire Kvothfuss from the game and everything will be right in the world :P

^ Top  
  8. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  9. CappenVarra phantasmist Patron

CappenVarra
    (brofisting you for the interview, not the smiley)

^ Top  
  10. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    500k for a poker deck. Meanwhile real games don't get funded or get much less "because they don't show enough". :retarded:

^ Top  
  12. Kirtai Liturgist

Kirtai
    If he considers that brief, it makes me wonder at the scale of the writing in the game itself.

^ Top  
  13. Scruffy The janitor Patron

Scruffy
    Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
    as long as it's good writing and not just a dragged out explanation that actually just means: "we tell the guys what we want to achieve, and they have to give us that".

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Kirtai Liturgist

Kirtai
    Yeah, that's why I was happy when they mentioned they had a professional editor in their team. Putting a stake through the heart of purple prose and slaughtering unnecessary polysyllabic verbiage is what they do.

^ Top  
  15. grotsnik Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

grotsnik

This made me double-take a bit. I mean...what did you have in SoZ, really, even if you're taking that to mean 'key tonal points' rather than solid narrative themes? 'Commerce'? 'Adventure'? Thinly veiled pro-Ickeian propaganda about powerful figures in politics and finance being part of the lizard-people conspiracy oh shit that must be it

V cool interview, re-reading now. Whatever doubts you may have, I reckon it always comes across really well just how seriously these guys are taking the brief and how carefully they seem to be thinking through all of the implications of what it might mean to be a worthy PS:T successor.

^ Top  
  16. hiver Guest

hiver
    The other two bigger themes are abandonment and mystery.
    I didnt play SoZ but maybe mystery is what they were going for there, thematically?

^ Top  
  17. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  18. jiujitsu Cipher

jiujitsu
    Project: Eternity
    Great interview. Cool read.

^ Top  
  19. Midair Learned

Midair
    Does his notion of reactivity let you play a role in the story? This javelin worshiper example is just three different sub-stories depending on what type of weapon you use. And if reactivity is not about roleplaying options, then what is the point, just flavor?

^ Top  
  20. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    ^ Top  
  21. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    More like the current gaming "culture" in a nutshell, no wonder it spilled into Kickstarter too.

Enjoy that crooked "oh i'm soooo cute" smile on your fucking poker deck, retards.

^ Top  
  22. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    bullshitz
    Too bad about that content limit, huh?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The content limit in your imagination, you mean?

^ Top  
  24. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Colin said it wouldn't be a time limit, ergo it's a content limit.

^ Top  
  25. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker

No. He said there would be an urgency mechanic. That doesn't imply that there any limits at all, because like I keep saying, there's nothing to indicate that you won't be able to return to previously visited areas.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)