Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Dan Vavra's medieval chad simulator

Arulan

Cipher
I won the 1-Year Anniversary Contest! It's certainly the last thing I expected.

Here is the most memorable moment I submitted:

During the search for Timmy I was confronted by bandits from the Camp at the windmill. I managed to convince them that I'd heard he was holed up in Rattay. This was naturally a lie. They went on their way, but left someone to watch over me. Once I saw that they were gone I was left with little choice but to throw him in a ditch where no one could find him.

I did eventually find Timmy on my own, but his tale of wandering into the camp while intoxicated didn't inspire me with confidence. I decided to take it easy for the next few days, and return to the simple life.

A couple of days had passed since my encounter with the bandits. I was in Rattay, and about to enjoy a late-evening game of dice when I noticed something odd. There were bandits sitting at a table in the tavern, and not just any bandits, but the bandits I sent on a wild goose-chase here for Timmy. I couldn't believe that they were really here.

I decided to wait just outside in order to see what they would do. It was getting pretty late, and I knew they'd have to leave soon. I decide to follow while keeping my distance.

I continued to follow as they left Rattay. At first I thought they were heading towards the miller. Thoughts raced through my head that they knew I lied to them, and were coming to where I lived. It turns out this wasn't the case as they continued down the path.

I followed them on foot for literal hours across most of the map. I wasn't expecting to go on such an extensive journey, and had to scavenge the nearby grounds for mushrooms to keep myself from starving. I couldn't stray far from the path because I didn't want to lose sight of them.

A suspicion began to grow in my mind. I wonder if these bandits are leading me to their camp? The Camp! Once we began to arrive at Rovna, and headed further north into the woods I knew I had to be right.

At a couple of points along this forest path the bandits passed Cuman lookouts! This must be it! I continued to follow them, making sure to avoid any further lookouts.

In the end they led me straight to the Camp! The place I've been searching for throughout the last few quests. This completely blew me away. This wasn't the result of a formal quest. No quest markers had guided me to it. It was all the result of the logical consistency of the world simulation, and it's a moment I know I will always cherish.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance has quickly become one of my favorite RPGs in the past decade, and this moment in particular highlights what I've wanted from open-world games for years now.

Last edited:

SlamDunk

Arcane
I won the 1-Year Anniversary Contest! It's certainly the last thing I expected.

Here is the most memorable moment I submitted:

During the search for Timmy I was confronted by bandits from the Camp at the windmill. I managed to convince them that I'd heard he was holed up in Rattay. This was naturally a lie. They went on their way, but left someone to watch over me. Once I saw that they were gone I was left with little choice but to throw him in a ditch where no one could find him.

I did eventually find Timmy on my own, but his tale of wandering into the camp while intoxicated didn't inspire me with confidence. I decided to take it easy for the next few days, and return to the simple life.

A couple of days had passed since my encounter with the bandits. I was in Rattay, and about to enjoy a late-evening game of dice when I noticed something odd. There were bandits sitting at a table in the tavern, and not just any bandits, but the bandits I sent on a wild goose-chase here for Timmy. I couldn't believe that they were really here.

I decided to wait just outside in order to see what they would do. It was getting pretty late, and I knew they'd have to leave soon. I decide to follow while keeping my distance.

I continued to follow as they left Rattay. At first I thought they were heading towards the miller. Thoughts raced through my head that they knew I lied to them, and were coming to where I lived. It turns out this wasn't the case as they continued down the path.

I followed them on foot for literal hours across most of the map. I wasn't expecting to go on such an extensive journey, and had to scavenge the nearby grounds for mushrooms to keep myself from starving. I couldn't stray far from the path because I didn't want to lose sight of them.

A suspicion began to grow in my mind. I wonder if these bandits are leading me to their camp? The Camp! Once we began to arrive at Rovna, and headed further north into the woods I knew I had to be right.

At a couple of points along this forest path the bandits passed Cuman lookouts! This must be it! I continued to follow them, making sure to avoid any further lookouts.

In the end they led me straight to the Camp! The place I've been searching for throughout the last few quests. This completely blew me away. This wasn't the result of a formal quest. No quest markers had guided me to it. It was all the result of the logical consistency of the world simulation, and it's a moment I know I will always cherish.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance has quickly become one of my favorite RPGs in the past decade, and this moment in particular highlights what I've wanted from open-world games for years now.
That is a very cool story indeed. Thanks for sharing, and congrats on the win.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

1 thing I found disagreeable: He mentioned how he didn't like how there is no way of knowing what the level difference between you and the enemy is. There actually is. All enemies in this game are humans, and the better skilled humans will just be wearing better gear. It's obvious visually that guys with plate armour and longswords will be stronger, while idiots with a bludgeon and rags will be weak, with chainmail and kettle helm equipped men-at-arms being somewhere in the middle. If there were level numbers, that would break immersion and would not fit the game at all.

I've watched some of NeverKnowsBest's videos, and his critique on them, for example, about PoE 2, was spot on. When it comes to youtubers, he is one of the better ones, along with Indigo Gaming etc.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I agree with you, I just found it funny/curious how he praised the immersion and even the monk quest, yet he was confused at the lack of level numbers.

Arulan

Cipher
It's not a bad review, but it's mostly stating what is in the game, rather than speaking to its design. Informative nonetheless.

I am not a fan of wasting time with all these micro DLCs, much better to put the energy into the sequel. In the old days, companies would do games and major expansion packs, now it's all this minor crap.

Kickstarter promises my friend

Yeah, but why make those kinds of kickstarter promises in the first place? Why not offer something actually good, like a new significant in-game system or an improvement to existing system? For example, donate another $xxxx and we will implement a Thief-like stealth system. I am sure people would donate more for that than a DLC with a dog.

Simple Simon

Scholar
I kind of like the idea of playing as a woman in this setting. Theresa is probably not able to fight like Henry so how is she going to resolve whatever problems are presented? Is it all talking and sneaking or will there be other mechanics?

Gord

Arcane
I finally did the notorious monastery quest.
Actually, it wasn't all bad - the place itself is beautifully designed with attention to detail and it's an interesting change of pace.
On the other hand, unless you manage to do it somewhat quickly, it will become tiresome soon to follow the daily routine and work around the restrictions of the place (esp. considering how it deviates from the otherwise very open gameplay).
It was also giving strong vibes of being rather unfinished - there's this upcoming election being constantly brought up (and you can even vow to support one of the two candidates), which then is going nowhere.
Furthermore, if you go into it blind and unless you are totally ruthless and just kill all the novices, you are practically required to have invested into your thieving skills.
In particular I wonder who thought it would be a good idea to put an important clue behind a very hard lock for which apparently there is no key. Plus, behind the same door there's also an item you need to collect to get a key from one of the monks that unlocks another very hard lock - in other words if you got it you don't actually need the key and if you need it you can't get it.
In the end I left the monastery one late evening after everyone was sleeping, went to the nearest tavern where I had stored all my gear, fetched a potion which gave a bonus to lockpicking (plus some saviour schnaps) and returned to open the lock with some alchemical help.

So anyway, I got some enjoyment out of it, but there are clearly some issues with that part. Great idea on paper, but not so easy to pull it off, I guess.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I finally did the notorious monastery quest.
Actually, it wasn't all bad - the place itself is beautifully designed with attention to detail and it's an interesting change of pace.
On the other hand, unless you manage to do it somewhat quickly, it will become tiresome soon to follow the daily routine and work around the restrictions of the place (esp. considering how it deviates from the otherwise very open gameplay).
It was also giving strong vibes of being rather unfinished - there's this upcoming election being constantly brought up (and you can even vow to support one of the two candidates), which then is going nowhere.
Furthermore, if you go into it blind and unless you are totally ruthless and just kill all the novices, you are practically required to have invested into your thieving skills.
In particular I wonder who thought it would be a good idea to put an important clue behind a very hard lock for which apparently there is no key. Plus, behind the same door there's also an item you need to collect to get a key from one of the monks that unlocks another very hard lock - in other words if you got it you don't actually need the key and if you need it you can't get it.
In the end I left the monastery one late evening after everyone was sleeping, went to the nearest tavern where I had stored all my gear, fetched a potion which gave a bonus to lockpicking (plus some saviour schnaps) and returned to open the lock with some alchemical help.

So anyway, I got some enjoyment out of it, but there are clearly some issues with that part. Great idea on paper, but not so easy to pull it off, I guess.
When I played the game, after patches had fixed most of the bugs in the game as a whole, I repeatedly ran into bugs trying to complete monastery side-quests until I gave up on them. As for the central mystery, I broke into the abbot's quarters, where I found a book describing the novices that made it obvious which of them was Pious the bandit. However, the game wouldn't let me confront him with this information, so I finally killed him, took a certain item from his corpse, and left for the next part of the main quest.

As you'll find out shortly, the last several stages of the main quest are poorly constructed, starting with the monastery section.

Smejki

Larian Studios, ex-Warhorse
Developer
Or wait for the DLC?
True. They did say that there would be DLC with a woman. But I don't think it's going to happen. Maybe with the directors cut perhaps.
baffled-gif-10.gif

How hard was your morning hit-in-the-head? This sounds like a solid 9/10.

Last edited:

Gord

Arcane
When I played the game, after patches had fixed most of the bugs in the game as a whole, I repeatedly ran into bugs trying to complete monastery side-quests until I gave up on them. As for the central mystery...

Yes, I had a few bugs there as well, although luckily nothing major. A few times the circators would scold me for neglecting my duties when I actually wasn't, schedule of some monks seemed to be messed up, but only if I left the monastery at night (unless they were supposed to be looking for me, although I doubt it). That sort of stuff.
Actually I did encounter one bug related to the Pius quest - I confronted him and was able to directly talk him into cooperation, instead of him first trying to
poison me.
Yet, although that did never occur, the further dialogue with him still assumed it had happened and he even gave me the potions to help me recover.

Starwars

Arcane
I just started replaying this, gonna be fuuuun.

But I must say, with all the hubbub about the Witcher 3 graphics downgrade, I think Kingdom Come is the one game that triggers me the most in this area. Walking around in the forests in the beta was just... some other shit. Seriously the best depiction of forests I've seen in a game.
The game is still gorgeous of course but yeah, still a bit of a shame.

Barbarian

Arcane
Try playing it on console to see some serious LOD madness. Sometimes it looks like a Ps2 game.

Regardless I have been holding this out for the last DLC. want to go through everything only after it is complete.

SlamDunk

Arcane
But I must say, with all the hubbub about the Witcher 3 graphics downgrade, I think Kingdom Come is the one game that triggers me the most in this area. Walking around in the forests in the beta was just... some other shit. Seriously the best depiction of forests I've seen in a game.
Do you or does anyone else still have the Beta zipped somewhere? I'd very much like to check out the differences.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom