Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's become daemon cops in Unavowed (Finished)

lightbane

Arcane
Don't forget that they will target his family, especially the fire-wielding baby. Woops.
Or perhaps he was trying to hide without a veil, seeing that the fey dude who was larping as a demon recognized him anyway.

I attribute the plot-hole to the writer having forgotten about that already.

Atrachasis

Augur
To me, this entire Brooklyn episode feels lacking a sense of urgency and motivation after what was supposed to be a big reveal and plot climax. Why are the Unavowed stumbling around here again? Just because it is the last thing they had to scratch off from their previous list of vague reports of unspecified paranormal activities around NYC? It just feels like they should be doing something else, such as tracking down Codexia... in other words, it just feels like the trail would have gone cold by now, and Codexia gone into hiding or something.

Well, I guess this is consistent with what has been observed earlier: The climax hasn't really changed anything, other than the goody-two-shoes protagonist and the malevolent antagonist switching names. The narrative structure is just hammering this plot weakness home again. Feels unsatisfying. Even a very simple acknowledgement along the lines of, "Hay guys, you know we haven't been to Brooklyn yet? And guess where we just picked up a new report of demon sightings from?" would have served to at least evoke a pretense of reactivity to the climax and "reheat" the Brooklyn trail.

I wonder, is the big reveal scripted to happen after a fixed number of episodes - I feel reminded of KOTOR -, or does it always occur after Chinatown?

Last edited:

Atrachasis

Augur
Come to think of it, I am VERY much reminded of KOTOR.

CODEXIA IS DARTH REVAN! *gasp!*

Though at least Bioware gave you the option of going down the dark side path, both before and after the climax, so the player could at least LARP acknowledging the twist in their own playing style. Would have been neat (though probably too much work) if there had been a plot branch, in the sense of the player having some input over which of the two spirits gets exorcised by Eli, and being able to remain among the Unavowed as Codexia to subvert their efforts.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
To me, this entire Brooklyn episode feels lacking a sense of urgency and motivation after what was supposed to be a big reveal and plot climax. Why are the Unavowed stumbling around here again? Just because it is the last thing they had to scratch off from their previous list of vague reports of unspecified paranormal activities around NYC?

Because undoing the bad things opens the portal to Codexia's ~daemon realm~ which is probably where she went after the exorcism, and Brooklyn happens to be the last place on the bad list.

Also, I may have said this before, but I find it amazing how each subsequent vignette is more stupid than the prior one. Gaem starts with blut sacrifice in the basement - okay, that's fine. Then we go to Staten Island with crazy hobo Vicki - still fine but the setup feels a bit iffy. Then we have daemon buttsex in the bronx - aka going up and down the house to watch all demon cutscenes. Then there's Kalash vs Galene duel which is a massive spike in tardo. Then we have Wall Street and "hey there fire kid, try not to incinerate your parents". Afterwards it's Chinatown which just seems completely unrelated to anything. And now there's peak tardo in Brooklyn, which feels like the worst written and designed bit in the entire game so far.

And we still have the finale to go!

Atrachasis

Augur
Also, I may have said this before, but I find it amazing how each subsequent vignette is more stupid than the prior one.

Ah, but the choice in which order to play the vignettes was yours, in the true Biowarian spirit of freedom! So obviously, you yourself are to blame for the decline. That's choices and consequences right there.

lightbane

Arcane
Come to think of it, I am VERY much reminded of KOTOR.

CODEXIA IS DARTH REVAN! *gasp!*

Though at least Bioware gave you the option of going down the dark side path, both before and after the climax, so the player could at least LARP acknowledging the twist in their own playing style. Would have been neat (though probably too much work) if there had been a plot branch, in the sense of the player having some input over which of the two spirits gets exorcised by Eli, and being able to remain among the Unavowed as Codexia to subvert their efforts.

Yep, it's uncanny how it resembles KOTOR 1's situation. Moreover, just like that game, the twist would have worked better if it was unleashed right before the endgame, after having done all of the other levels instead of leaving one hanging awkwardly.

Because undoing the bad things opens the portal to Codexia's ~daemon realm~ which is probably where she went after the exorcism, and Brooklyn happens to be the last place on the bad list.

Codexia probably played/enjoyed a lot of videogames to have the typical "final boss lair's locks" as the mechanism to open her personal dimension.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
20181024172904_1.jpg

The plot thickens!

20181027103539_1.jpg

RUH-ROH

may2.png
What is it?

june1.png
I messed up. Need to start over.

may3.png
Oh for f...

00003.jpg

may1.png
...ive. Five more minutes. Then we need to get home.

:modern parenting:

20181027103641_1.jpg

:codexisfor: We found this book with drawings of you in it...

may4.png
You have this book?

eli1.png
Er, well, no. Not exactly. But we've seen it.

may3.png
Who gave it to you?

logan1.png
We don't know his name, but he's a tall guy? Goatee? Scruffy dirty blond hair?

may1.png
... Sweetie? Momma's going to step over there for a minute. You stay here, okay?

20181027103659_1.jpg

may3.png
Shit shit fuck fuck SHIT.

She's just gone berserk!

eli1.png
Um. Are you all right?

:lol:

may3.png
Do I LOOK all right? I just want him to leave us alone, okay? Apparently restraining orders aren't enough. Not for Amos Fennel. Did he give you those pictures? Is he SELLING them? Jesus Christ. He is, isn't it? Goddammit.

worse

he's posting them on rpgcodex

logan1.png
Er, no. He's dead.

may4.png
He's... what?

eli1.png
I'm sorry, it's the truth. He's dead.

may3.png
Of COURSE he is. It was him, wasn't it? The guy who burned himself in the park? I didn't think it was real but... I should have known. It's EXACTLY like him.

I guess Amos had a habit of self-immolation.

20181027103732_1.jpg

:codexisfor: It's exactly like him to set himself on fire?

may3.png
No. To make a big idiotic statement. And scare the hell out of me at the same time. I suppose he's gone now. That's... good, I guess.

He's dead, can't complain. He had his chance and, in modern parlance, blew it.

eli1.png
I know it's hard, especially in front of the kid, but we need to know everything you can tell us.

may2.png
Fine, I guess. It doesn't matter now, does it? Amos used to be... a good guy. An autist. Creative. Really really funny. June loved him.

may4.png
But then he moved in with us. And then he started getting... obsessive.

eli1.png
Obsessive. Not in a devoted husband and father way, I suppose?

Speaking of which, where was the husband and father all this time when some random hobo moved into his house? :lol:

may4.png
... No. He started drawing pictures of us. It was sweet at first, but... he wouldn't stop. Every scrap of paper. Every surface. The walls, the floor, everything.

may3.png
I blamed that teacher of his.

!!

eli1.png
Teacher?

may2.png
Yeah, old Stan Bates around the block. Amos was FINE before he started taking lessons with him. I mean, how crazy is it to draw obsessively and never stop for a break?

Weeeeeeeell...

20181027103811_1.jpg

:M

:neveraskedforthis: HOW long has your kid been out here again?

may2.png
A few hours. Why?

may3.png
Oh. Look, I don't like that tone. June is FINE. She isn't... like him.

Yes, you can tell by her murder-glare.

may2.png
Now, if you'll excuse me...

20181027103826_1.jpg

may3.png
Could you leave us alone, please?

Mel and the gang are no longer welcome in this part of town!

But that doesn't matter. We have everything we need.

20181027103858_1.jpg

I can see right through your lies, old hobo.

:fight: Does the name Amos Fennel mean anything to you?

stan1.png
Amos Fennel? No, doesn't ring a bell.

eli1.png
He's the guy who set himself on fire in the park.

stan1.png
I see. No, I have not heard of him.

:fight: Amos Fennel was a student of yours.

stan1.png
A student...? I am no teacher. Who told you this?

eli1.png
May Stein? She used to date Amos.

absolutely degenerate

stan1.png
Wait, that name sounds familiar. She has a young daughter? Budding little autist type?

eli1.png
That's right.

stan1.png
Aha. Now I remember. Amos, eh? He gave me a different name when he came to see me.

:codexisfor: What can you tell us about Amos?

stan1.png
What is there to tell? Like many young autists, he was struggling. Trying to find inspiration. So he would come and speak to me. He spoke about his lover, he was quite smitten. I encouraged him to channel that love. We later spoke of his heartbreak after they separated. I encouraged him to channel that as well. I... hope I did some good.

Sure did.

eli2.png
I know what fire can do to people. There's nothing "good" about it.

stan1.png
He channeled his feelings into a work of ART. How many can say the same? I call that a triumph. This neighborhood needs more of that.

Friendly reminder: This is what some real people out there actually believe.

20181027103947_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Setting yourself on fire is a triumph?

stan1.png
Well, what would you call it?

eli1.png
The man was obviously... disturbed. Nobody in their right mind would do something like that.

logan1.png
I'd call it someone needing help.

stan1.png
Perhaps you are both correct. Perhaps it doesn't matter. Art speaks different words to different people. And the art of Amos spoke louder than most.

oh dear

:codexisfor: You said you knew May and her daughter?

stan1.png
I know the child. She walks down this block on her way home from school. She's shown me some of her pictures. Quite a budding talent, I'm happy to encourage her.

:codexisfor: Have you ever spoken to the baker next door?

stan1.png
You mean Clay Chipman? I see him every morning. His shop is not exactly out of my way. He feels... frustrated. Often. He desires to say something, but all he knows is baking. But as I always tell him: Sometimes the autist doesn't choose the medium. The medium chooses you.

logan1.png
Medium. Did he have to use that word?

Medium difficulty is a real trigger.

:codexisfor: So who else have you taught?

stan1.png
Anyone who chooses to speak with me. I am usually here in this spot. I'm always willing to chat.

Then Mel is now a student!

:codexisfor: If it's such good art, maybe you should set YOURSELF on fire.

stan1.png
For what reason? I have no statement to make. As I have stated, my muse has long since departed.

20181027104030_1.jpg

:neveraskedforthis: We know what's been done to you. You've become a muse.

stan1.png
I'm a... what?

eli1.png
I should have seen it. We ALL should have seen it.

Yes. We all should have seen it from all the random dialogue that pointed at absolutely fucking nothing before more or less this point.

stan1.png
What are you TALKING about?

eli1.png
This neighborhood. All the extreme bursts of creativity. It all centers around you.

stan1.png
Me? I'm... nobody. Just a washed up autist. My muse has left.

eli1.png
Of course you don't have a muse. You ARE a muse.

No, Stan, you are the muses!

stan1.png
... Are you insane? Or am I?

20181027104052_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Look at what happens around you. What explanation is there?

stan1.png
I... want to say a rational one. But since when do I trade in reality?

eli4.png
I ask myself that every day. Look, maybe we should have this conversation inside?

Great idea! Walking into a secluded place with the guy who received strange powers from a malevolent entity is exactly the thing you want to do.

stan1.png
Yes, of course. Please, come in. You must be soaking.

20181027104105_1.jpg

Stan leads us inside.

20181027104108_1.jpg

Cozy.

stan1.png
Well, here we are.

awkward silence

stan1.png
Is... something the matter?

20181027104117_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Are you sure you are an autist?

stan1.png
My critics would often ask the same thing. Why?

logan1.png
It's your home, man. It doesn't look like anyone lives here.

stan1.png
I admit, as I've gotten older, I have enjoyed life's little pleasures less and less. So I have sold a few things. Things that I no longer need.

eli1.png
It's like Calli said. A muse can inspire art, but can't appreciate it.

stan1.png
... I see. I understand. I admit I have been feeling... different. I just thought I was getting old.

rating_oldman.png

eli4.png
Don't worry, we can fix this. It's kind of our thing.

Yes, the Unavowed are known for fixing things very efficiently.

stan1.png
Wait, you want to... cure me?

20181027104147_1.jpg

:butthurt: Why? Don't you want to be cured?

stan1.png
You're... joking. You really are joking, aren't you? Why would I want to be cured? Sure, I get no pleasure from a painting. Or a book. Or even food. But giving autists inspiration? Autists like Amos? Like June? Like Clay? That gives me immense satisfaction.

eli2.png
Amos KILLED himself. June and Clay are working themselves to death! Whatever power you have, it's out of control.

stan1.png
Their deaths carry more meaning than their lives ever will.

Sorcerer_icon.jpg
Your death will mirror your pathetic life!

stan1.png
For YEARS I've seen this city turn its collective back on the art community. Replacing us with bland corporate chains! Now we can reverse it. Go back to the way things were. And you want to STOP it? I don't believe you want that. You CAN'T want that.

20181027104219_1.jpg

uh-oh

the party gets knocked out one-by-one as the screen fades

20181027104222_1.jpg

20181027104227_1.jpg

HERE COMES THE JUMPING PUZZLE!

20181027104235_1.jpg

:buildawall: No. I'm not answering anything.

stan1.png
I... can't let you go until you answer my question. I'm sorry. I need to prove to you that... I can do this. Please? May I ask my question?

:codexisfor: What is this place?

stan1.png
I have connected you to the creative energy of the universe.

Mel is now one with everything!

stan1.png
I think... I always knew it was there. But I'm... more aware of it now. Thanks to you. Now, may I ask my question?

:codexisfor: Where are you?

stan1.png
I am here. I am part of the creative force that surrounds you. Now please. I have answered your questions. Will you answer mine?

20181027104258_1.jpg

Thou must!

:bunkertime: What do you want to know?

stan1.png
Thank you. My question is simple. What are you feeling? Right now?

20181027104305_1.jpg

:neveraskedforthis: My memories aren't my own. I don't know if what I'm feeling is real.

stan1.png
Ahh, I understand. Yes, I see it. The confusion within you. But that is why we create, is it not? To make sense out of the chaos? You are worried about your thoughts. I say: IGNORE YOUR THOUGHTS! Focus on your heart! So I ask again: what are you feeling?

:npc: I am not feeling anything.

stan1.png
Nothing? Nothing at all? Pardon me if I seem sceptical. We are emotional beings. You must be feeling SOMETHING. So I ask again: what are you feeling?

sigh

:x I am feeling angry.

stan1.png
Yes. You do seem slightly... tetchy. Could I ask why?

20181027104415_1.jpg

:x I don't know! I'm just... angry.

stan1.png
Anger always comes from somewhere. Even if it is core part of our nature. Anger can be a powerful source of energy, but you need to channel it. You cannot let it control you. You must dig deep! Connect with it. Bring it to the surface! This is the power of the creative force. It is the greatest gift we as humans are given. But... it must be used. If ignored, it could do unimaginable harm...

20181027104431_1.jpg

Inb4 Mel wakes up having just gone on a killing spree.

20181027104434_1.jpg

Nope.

20181027104435_1.jpg

Even worse!

20181027104439_1.jpg

SHE HAS BEEN COMMITTING VANDALISM!

20181027104447_1.jpg

Fabulous graffiti out there, Mel.

But wait, where are our BROS?

20181027104516_1.jpg

We must immediately call the cops. Mayhap the fatso at the Soy Bakery will do something.

20181027104520_1.jpg

:hmmm:

donut3.png
You almost had yourself DEAD. You idiot.

Mel inquires as to what's going on here.

donut3.png
Oh, it's you. You... probably shouldn't be in here. I think this place is gonna be closed for the foreseeable future.

chip2.png
Closed? No! You can't do that!

20181027104551_1.jpg

:codexisfor: What happened?

donut3.png
Chipman's finally lost it. I should've seen it. You know a guy for years, you should know when something's wrong.

chip2.png
Nothing was WRONG. Everything was so right!

donut3.png
You cut open your wrist and you were BLEEDING into your mixing bowl!

:edgy:

chip2.png
I needed to put more of myself into my work! It was the only way!

I don't even want to know what else of himself he used to put into the donuts before.

donut3.png
I... just don't have an answer to that, Clay. I don't.

20181027104609_1.jpg

:codexisfor: So Clay is under arrest?

donut3.png
Arrest? Oh God, no, he's not going to jail. He needs help. Help that I can't give him.

chip2.png
So you're sending me to the mental ward?

donut3.png
Only for 72 hours. That's what the law will let me do.

chip2.png
I thought you were my friend!

donut3.png
I am, Clay, I am. Look, you'd better go. This... isn't gonna be pretty.

Sayonara :hero:

20181027104634_1.jpg

Looks like we're on our own.

20181027104641_1.jpg

@_@

eli3.png
His eyes are on me. His eyes are always on me.

Eli's catatonic.

eli5.png
I can't. I'm a monster, aren't I? I won't. I can't. Not him.

eli2.png
It's not right. Such a thing... should stay with you. Forever.

eli5.png
Was it blue? Or was it brown?

eli3.png
It's me, you know? I can't lose that.

Right...

A worn wooden staircase leads upstairs.

20181027104802_1.jpg

Literally shaking.

logan4.png
Can't go back.

logan2.png
You reach the end, then what?

logan4.png
It's there. It's always there. Gotta keep moving. Can't... turn around. Ever.

logan3.png
Which WAY? There's only one! Straight ahead. To the end.

Yeah, whatever. I'm leaving you loonies behind.

20181027104933_1.jpg

Stan is nowhere to be found, so we must keep on Explorung (tm).

20181027104937_1.jpg

Seems the local autism is exploding.

june1.png
No. I can do it.

may4.png
I think it's time we...

june1.png
I can do it!

may4.png
Okay, you can do it. Just... be careful.

Best parenting.

20181027104946_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Is June okay?

may4.png
I'm... no, I don't know. It's Amos. It's Amos all over again. He... INFECTED her. Somehow. Jesus Christ what are we going to do? June? Junie? Come on sweetheart.

We are going to keep standing here like a dumbfuck, that's what we're going to do.

May Stein looks absolutely terrified. June is gripping her chalk with single-minded intensity. Her eyes focused on the drawing.

20181027105007_1.jpg

I wonder what happens if we try to chat up this ghost.

20181027105010_1.jpg

borealesad.jpg

20181027105014_1.jpg

june1.png
It's fine. Go home, I'll be fine.

may4.png
I'm not leaving you on the street.

Who the hell wrote this? :lol:

june1.png
Okay.

menugame5.png
Follow me.

june1.png
Okay.

20181027105037_1.jpg

Seems there's no other place to go...

Reinhardt

Arcane
Ok, this shit is retarded.
When Mel said "you are the muse!" i felt like stupid sidekick of famous detective. Detective just said to main villain "we know everything!" and i was like "we are?.. yeah, we know everything, evildoer!" After this ususally should be part where detective explains everything.
Except WE are the detective...

Also no option "i feel stupid"
i1bciip.jpg

lightbane

Arcane
Oh hey, an early update!

Speaking of which, where was the husband and father all this time when some random hobo moved into his house? :lol:

:modern family:

HOW long has your kid been out here again?

OWNED.

He channeled his feelings into a work of ART. How many can say the same? I call that a triumph. This neighborhood needs more of that.

Friendly reminder: This is what some real people out there actually believe.

And that's why we need eugenics ASAP.

Perhaps you are both correct. Perhaps it doesn't matter. Art speaks different words to different people. And the art of Amos spoke louder than most.

He's sounding like a creepy villain here.

Quite a budding talent, I'm happy to encourage her.

Totally.

Yes. We all should have seen it from all the random dialogue that pointed at absolutely fucking nothing before more or less this point.

I... Yeah, nothing about this one. Perhaps if your character was an actor it would make more sense?

Yes, of course. Please, come in. You must be soaking.

FINALLY, someone notices! Too bad he's totally going to mindrape us, right?

Their deaths carry more meaning than their lives ever will.

For YEARS I've seen this city turn its collective back on the art community. Replacing us with bland corporate chains! Now we can reverse it. Go back to the way things were. And you want to STOP it? I don't believe you want that. You CAN'T want that.

Lol chaos! Unfortunately, Unavowed fails to do anything except the snowflake MC, as usual.

This is the power of the creative force. It is the greatest gift we as humans are given. But... it must be used. If ignored, it could do unimaginable harm...

Like the harm you're doing right now with these autists going haywire?

Yeah, whatever. I'm leaving you loonies behind.

Can you interact with Kaikay? Is she around? I wonder what Mondana would do in this state.

Best parenting.

It's like this was an unintentional criticism of the modern family, but sadly it isn't.

lightbane

Arcane
I went to check:

Even while brainwashed, (Wo)Mandanna manages to be disappointing, that's some serious dedication.

Also, someone probably mentioned this already, but it bears repeating: So far, the levels/stories/whatever you want to call them are always about a malicious supernatural creature directly or indirectly causing trouble, which you fix somehow, and then you have to choose between sparing or killing said creature. Am I right?

Hopefully the mold is broken for the endgame, but perhaps I'm expecting too much.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I went to check:

Even while brainwashed, (Wo)Mandanna manages to be disappointing, that's some serious dedication.

Also, someone probably mentioned this already, but it bears repeating: So far, the levels/stories/whatever you want to call them are always about a malicious supernatural creature directly or indirectly causing trouble, which you fix somehow, and then you have to choose between sparing or killing said creature. Am I right?

Hopefully the mold is broken for the endgame, but perhaps I'm expecting too much.

I think for that one, it would be chose who gets the Muse's powers, either the old one or the original muse

Reinhardt

Arcane
I say turn them both to stone in park so dogs can piss on them. We can sacrifice Mandana for this. It is the price i'm willing to pay to achieve greater good.

lightbane

Arcane
I think for that one, it would be chose who gets the Muse's powers, either the old one or the original muse

It wouldn't be much of a choice really*: Pick between the somewhat birdbrained but well-intentioned original Muse, or a lunatic geezer who pushes people to suicide for "art" and admitted he would keep doing it over, over and over rather than stop.

*Not that the other choices so far seem to do much anyway.

Koschey

Arcane
It wouldn't be much of a choice really*: Pick between the somewhat birdbrained but well-intentioned original Muse, or a lunatic geezer who pushes people to suicide for "art" and admitted he would keep doing it over, over and over rather than stop.

True, Calliope doesn't want to be a muse anymore whereas Bates wants to and is doing God's work by inspiring hipsters and artists to kill themselves. I say give him the powers of all the other muses as well!

*Not that the other choices so far seem to do much anyway.

Prepare for disappointment. Though I guess expectations in the thread aren't exactly high :lol:

Reinhardt

Arcane
Only few kill themselves all others are flooding world with literal shit. So no - no powah to shitty old hobo.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
20181027105037_1.jpg

Time to end this evil that marshals before us.

20181028112453_1.jpg

At least she's shut up.

calli1.png
Oh, it's... you. Sorry if I don't get up, I'm a little... out of breath.

20181028112634_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Are you alright?

hopefully not

calli1.png
Me? I'm... fine. Just a little... winded, is all. By the way...

calli5.png
Where's the fire mage? And Mr Big Shoulders?

calli2.png
I thought you Unavowed types worked in a team.

:codexisfor: You don't look well, Calli.

calli1.png
I'm just, like, tired a bit, okay? I overdid it. I'm not exactly used to being... mortal.

:codexisfor: We got whammied by the muse who has your power.

calli7.png
Heh, whammied. I like that word.

Every bit of dialogue with Calli makes my brian hurt.

calli5.png
Wait, why did you summon a muse in the first place?

:codexisfor: We didn't summon him, he forced himself on us!

#MeToo

calli5.png
He forced the creative energy ON you? That's insane! You're lucky to be alive. You can't just force someone to create. You have to be READY. If not, you'll burn out. Your friends. Where are they?

:codexisfor: Eli and Logan are in Stan Bates's house. They are in some kind of trance.

calli5.png
A trance? That can't be good. Take me to them.

20181028112711_1.jpg

Take me to them... that I may render judgement.

20181028112727_1.jpg

Calli just follows Mel around and is being useless. Can't even go down to murder-kid or the sculpture with her in tow.

calli1.png
Wait, please, not that way. That sculpture... I just can't. Please.

20181028112732_1.jpg

So let's follow the rails.

20181028112737_1.jpg

20181028112741_1.jpg

calli1.png
I've never seen a muse's power abused like this. Stanley Bates has NO idea what he's doing.

20181028112748_1.jpg

:codexisfor: It is because of this painting on the wall?

calli6.png
No. The painting is a symptom, not the source. He is buried deep. Struggling to connect with a deeper part of himself. One that he can express through art.

20181028112756_1.jpg

:codexisfor: So this is some kind of... art therapy?

calli6.png
Kinda sorta? Only this is more... direct. And harmful. The subject has to be WILLING. They have to be ready to confront whatever is inside. Your friends aren't. And unless we help them with that, they will die.

But... weren't the autists like human torch goy or the little girl willing subjects?

nevermind moving on

just smile and wave, boys

20181028112804_1.jpg

:codexisfor: So what do we do? Finish the painting?

calli5.png
No! That would be... kinda bad. Like brain-explody bad.

calli3.png
I'm a bit useless here, but you're kinda not. You Unavowed guys, you have a link, right? Something connecting you? You can use that. Try and connect to your friend. See if you can help.

hell yeah, now for some hippie nonsense

20181028112817_1.jpg

:neveraskedforthis: You want me to... mind-meld with Eli?

calli7.png
A mind-meld. I totally get the reference. And yeah, that's exactly it.

whatever reference that might be

calli1.png
Eli is in a... heightened mental state at the moment. Connecting to his mind won't be hard, if you focus. Just touch him on the head and, well, THINK about him.

and if that doesn't work, plug in your USB cable

20181028112824_1.jpg

:bunkertime: Right, I'm going in. Hope my brain doesn't explode.

calli6.png
Your friend is going to be vulnerable. Scared. Confused. So... be gentle. Good luck.

20181028113142_1.jpg

Mel casts lay on hands.

20181028113143_1.jpg

@_@

20181028113147_1.jpg

Again with the jumping puzzles.

A young woman stands with her back to you.

eli5.png
You can't hear her. Why should you? I can barely hear her myself. Soon I won't be able to hear her at all.

Eli stares at the woman, deep lines creasing his forehead.

eli5.png
I can't forget. I can't forget. If I forget that, I lose everything.

20181028113209_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Forget what?

eli3.png
Forget what I am. Forget that I'm... human. My wife. Donna. You've seen her picture? It's in my lab. That picture... helps, but it's not enough. It's old, it's grainy, it's black and white. It's been over sixty years. I'm forgetting. Her eyes, I don't remember the color of her eyes.

20181028113223_1.jpg

Donna turns around to show us that where she is bound, she won't need eyes to see.

:bunkertime: Eli, this isn't real.

eli2.png
This wrenching in my heart isn't real? The loss I've felt for almost a century isn't REAL?

eli5.png
Do you know what family does? It makes you better. It makes you WANT to do better. Everything I did. Everything I was. I do because of them. Once I forget her eyes, then I forget her face. Then I forget Gloria and Julie. Maybe one day I'll even forget Travis and Winnie. And little Elijah. Then... I'll forget myself. I forget I ever cared about anyone. And when there's nothing left?

eli3.png
I become HIM.

AcaRm.jpg

A fate worse than death!

20181028113240_1.jpg

:codexisfor: I understand. But this place is killing you.

eli2.png
Then I deserve it. I won't turn into Aldin. I'd rather die. If I can't remember her eyes... I SHOULD die. Why can't I remember?

how melodramatic

20181028113250_1.jpg

:whiteknight: Blablablabla what if we can be assured of nothing?

eli1.png
What are you saying? That her eyes don't matter? ... You're... you're right. Her eyes are just the surface, aren't they?

Mel, the top psychiatrist in NY. "Wow her eyes matter hella I gotta remember or I might as well die" - "but they don't" - "whoa holy shit ur rite!"

eli1.png
The eyes are the window to the soul, so it's said. And that? THAT I remember. Her light. So warm. So bright... all for me. So fierce, so protective. The way she'd gaze over our children. The connection she shared with them. Like a secret only they knew. One color... doesn't do it justice...

20181028113303_1.jpg

well i'm always happy to help

20181028113306_1.jpg

Eli drops the spray can.

eli3.png
Huh? What... what just happened?

calli1.png
Hey, you did it!

eli5.png
Did... what? That... eye. It's everything. You could get lost in it...

the eye of terror

eli5.png
I... sorry, my head, it's... I... think I need to sit down.

20181028113321_1.jpg

One down, one to go.

20181028113339_1.jpg

Knock knock.

20181028113341_1.jpg

20181028113344_1.jpg

Shooting pix just as Mel gets up can yield hilarious results.

Logan is breathing heavy, but shows no signs of slowing down.

logan4.png
It's still behind me. I know it is. But the end of the road is coming.

20181028113355_1.jpg

:codexisfor: There's no road, Logan.

Fact check!

logan3.png
We're all on a road of some kind, man. Six years, six years I've been on this road. It hasn't caught me yet. But the end is coming. Not today, but someday.

20181028113406_1.jpg

:neveraskedforthis: [Intelligence] Just so I'm clear. This is about alcoholism, right?

logan2.png
I'm an alcoholic. Everything is about alcoholism.

This is such a hilariously stereotypical and dumb presentation of a recovering alcoholic, I can only wonder whether whoever wrote this actually knows any alcoholics or is basing this on cheap TV drama :lol:

logan3.png
Just one misstep. Just one moment of weakness. Then it starts again. The blacking out. Starting fights. Waking up in strangers' beds. Ending up in hospital. Over and over. I only just managed to build my life again. I won't go back. I can't go back. So I gotta keep busy. Gotta keep... distracted. The end is coming, it's coming so fast.

20181028113419_1.jpg

:codexisfor: What happens at the end?

logan2.png
You DIE man, what do you think?

Lmao.

I'd like to meet his therapist.

logan3.png
It's a race. To reach the end before the monster gets you. I plan on making it. But it's... hard. The shit I see every day. It's hard.

:codexisfor: What does KayKay think about all this?

logan2.png
KayKay? She's a ghost. If I wanted a drink, she couldn't stop me. She knows it, I know it. This is my fight, not hers.

logan4.png
I just hope, when the end comes for me, she'll be the one to help me cross over.

:codexisfor: What makes it so hard?

logan1.png
In the program, you see people who have been sober for thirty, forty years. And most of them? They're MEAN. You know why? They don't want to FEEL. Because feeling things? That leads to drinking. But me? I HAVE to feel. I have no choice. Sad stories, shoved in my face. Every day. Death and misery every day. It pushes you toward the monster.

20181028113459_1.jpg

:codexisfor: [Intelligence] You're not talking about a literal monster, are you?

logan2.png
Does it matter? It's out there. It's coming for me. And it's gonna get me.

:codexisfor: What does this monster look like anyway?

logan2.png
... look like? I don't know. It doesn't matter. Why should it matter? I don't need to know. I don't WANT to know.

:codexisfor: You go through a lot, but still don't drink? You should be proud.

logan2.png
Nothing to be proud of. I'm hanging by my fingernails. One step ahead of the munster.

20181028113526_1.jpg

:whiteknight: Blablablabla know your enemy, know yourself.

logan2.png
This is DIFFERENT. I can't fight this. I don't even know what "this" is!

logan3.png
But... that's your point, isn't it? I need to know what I'm fighting, if I'm gonna fight it?

you don't even know what you don't know :lol:

20181028113532_1.jpg

:whiteknight: So tell me. What is this monster you're running from?

logan3.png
The monster. It looks like... it looks like...

:mhd:

20181028113537_1.jpg

20181028113540_1.jpg

cowards die in shame

logan4.png
Gotta be careful of this guy, he's...

he drops the spray

logan1.png
... Huh? Whoa, KayKay, calm down. I'm fine, I'm okay, I was just...

20181028113549_1.jpg

I don't know. But what I do know is that this entire sequence was hilariously pointless.

logan1.png
We're wondering the same thing.

20181028113556_1.jpg

:bunkertime: We need to find Stan Bates.

eli3.png
Stan Bates? He... did something to us, didn't he?

calli2.png
He hit you both with a lethal dose of creative energy. It almost killed you both.

logan3.png
KayKay says we went into some kind of trance? She was scared to death.

scared to death, ba-dum-dish

stan1.png
But it was worth it, wouldn't you say?

20181028113605_1.jpg

YOU!!!

20181028113606_1.jpg

@_@

20181028113611_1.jpg

20181028113616_1.jpg

:bunkertime: You are out of control, Stan.

stan1.png
No. I know precisely what I'm doing. I... get it now. You and your friends? You just received a deep, clear understanding of your deepest selves.

calli2.png
You're swinging the creative force around like a sledgehammer! You could have killed them.

stan1.png
Nothing great is achieved without risk.

Sorcerer_icon.jpg
Power demands sacrifice.

calli2.png
Oh my GOD! My power's in the hands of a total IDIOT!

> greek muse saying 'oh my god'

calli2.png
Seriously. You all need to kill him. Kill him now. Before he kills someone else.

that... escalated quickly.

stan1.png
I beg your pardon?

calli2.png
You heard me!

20181028113703_1.jpg

:neveraskedforthis: I agree he needs to be punished, but...

eli3.png
I agree he should be stopped, but killed? Is that really necessary?

logan1.png
He didn't actually kill anyone on PURPOSE did he? Maybe he deserves another chance?

stan1.png
This is insanity! Don't I have a say in this? I have been given this tremendous gift, and you don't want it to be used? I don't understand.

calli2.png
No DUH you don't understand. That's the problem!

stan1.png
If I used my gift... improperly... then I am sorry. I can learn!

calli2.png
It's too late for that. So? How is it going to go?

Now hold on there, thot, you're not the one pulling the strings here.

20181028113723_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Can't you teach him how to use the power properly, Calli?

calli2.png
No, I can't.

eli3.png
You can't?

calli2.png
Nope.

stan1.png
I'm not so old that I can't be taught.

calli2.png
I'm not being cute, I really can't. Creative energy runs on... instinct. Emotion. FEELINGS. You can't teach that.

stan1.png
You must have learned somehow, didn't you?

calli1.png
I was given the power at a young age. I grew up with it, you didn't.

calli6.png
So... I'm sorry. It can't be done.

:codexisfor: If only I could remember how I put the power IN him. Maybe then I could pull it out again.

eli1.png
Actually... that's not a bad idea. Calli, this power came from YOU, right? It's a part of you.

calli2.png
Yeah, so?

eli1.png
So you should be able to pull it back into yourself. If you focus hard enough.

calli2.png
You think if I wanted that I wouldn't have DONE it already? Thanks, no, I'm happy the way I am.

stan1.png
As am I. You can't give me such a gift and then take it away!

:codexisfor: Stan? What do you have to say?

stan1.png
Until today, I didn't even know I HAD this power, let alone that I was... killing people. Perhaps forcing it on your three was... wrong. I'm sorry. I didn't know what I was doing.

calli2.png
And how many are going to die before you figure it out?

stan1.png
I... I will TRY not to let that happen. Let me live and I'll try. That I promise you.

:fight: Stan? Earlier you said that "dying to create art" was a triumph. Do you still feel that way?

stan1.png

eli2.png
Stan. We are trying to avoid killing you. Please work with us.

Which also makes you think that the Unavowed would have some sort of aetheric containment chamber for otherwise "innocent" people like Stan who nevertheless have to be kept away from society. But we've analysed the competence of the Unavowed many times already.

stan1.png
... I meant what I said. I will try not to let that happen again.

20181028113828_1.jpg

The chosen one must choose.

Also, friendly reminder that Brooklyn had a grand whopping one non-dialogue interaction, which was giving Calli the donut to initiate more dialogue.

10/10 best design ever

please kill me

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
(1) I am extremely sad that neither the game nor the post has a "muse of fire" reference.

(2) It is interesting to compare the psychonautic sequences in this game to Psychonauts in terms of the way in which underlying trauma and guilt are portrayed. I guess it's an ancillary theme in this game, but it seems like something more could've been done in terms of the environment of their mental struggles. Still, one part of being a genius developer is knowing what you can chew and biting with that in mind .... Probably would've been more resources than it was worth.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Trusting Stan is obviously tardo.

Pretty sure forcing the muse to womyn up is best choice, one cannot let such POWAH leave the universe.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Finish him. Save the world from modern "art". Maybe it is the only chance for ny unavowed to do something good.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Everything is fine as long as you stop the Stan from infecting more people with autism.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom