Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Let's become daemon cops in Unavowed (Finished)

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
well, frankly it doesn't look so bad in motion, or at least you don't notice it

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
"But. He. Fails. Hard." is a weird way to describe that level of success. We're talking about someone who makes enough to own a house in New York City, jets around the world to deliver speeches to packed convention halls of admirers, releases best-selling and top-reviewed games, gets to work from home and spend all day with his family, and does all this while writing exactly the stories he wants, exactly the way he wants, without ever going through crunch times or satisfying a corporate hierarchy. We should all be so lucky as to fail like that... In many ways, it's what Avellone should have, rather than having to do piecework on other people's projects.

From what I can see, no one's denying (or begrudging him, for that matter), Gilbert's success. But the Codex is, after all, one of the rare corners of the internet where being successful does not automatically equate to being held high regard -- if anything, the denizens here find the implication antipathetic. I am with Roxor on this -- Gilbert is very far from talentless but I don't think he particularly stretched his writer's muscles for this work.

As for MCA, I think he does have that capability right now -- but he's never struck me as someone who actually would prefer to spearhead his own game. His appreciation for development hierarchies (as professed in his pre-ObsidiLeaks interview) betrays a desire to be a follower, rather than a leader. Which is of course perfectly fine, it's just that I don't think he's the right comparison.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Yeah, I get that, my point isn't that the game is above criticism, only that there's a real disconnect between the criticisms being leveled in this thread and the universal love the game gets on Steam, GOG, etc. Even the rare negative reviews praise the writing as extraordinary. So, really, my reaction is that he's not writing for this audience, he's writing for himself and for his audience. I might feel differently if I saw even one or two of the game's actual players echoing these complaints, but I just don't.

Sometimes, when an author at last has creative freedom, the result is that fans of earlier work are disappointed -- like, I really enjoyed The Matrix but didn't particularly enjoy any of the Wachowskis' later work; I really enjoyed QFG but Hero-U doesn't appeal to me much; pretty much every fantasy novelist worsens over time in my opinion. So it may be that you guys enjoyed Dave's earlier games more than his current project. My point is that you can't really call it a "failure," though, if he is telling the story he wants to, the way he wants to, and is winning money, fame, and friends in the process. So I think the lines of criticism here are just off. It's one thing to say that Unavowed lacks psychological plausibility, moral nuance, meaningful narrative twists, clever turns of phrase, whatever -- I'm not sure those criticisms would be correct, but they would not be subject to the response, "But his game is a gigantic success and he's having fun." By contrast, criticisms like, "He's dumbing his game down, he's failing, he's a bad writer," etc. -- those seem necessarily inapt to me because they relate either to his subjective state of mind (which seems to me to be free and happy) or to his ability to reach an audience (which seems to me very effective).

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Yeah, I get that, my point isn't that the game is above criticism, only that there's a real disconnect between the criticisms being leveled in this thread and the universal love the game gets on Steam, GOG, etc. Even the rare negative reviews praise the writing as extraordinary. So, really, my reaction is that he's not writing for this audience, he's writing for himself and for his audience.

The writing is objectively bad and insults the spectator's intelligence. It is only when the spectator lacks intelligence, which is true for about 95% of Mankind, can one find any appreciation for the hole ridden plot of Unavowed.

I might feel differently if I saw even one or two of the game's actual players echoing these complaints, but I just don't.

So Darth Roxor is not an actual player of this game?

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, I get that, my point isn't that the game is above criticism, only that there's a real disconnect between the criticisms being leveled in this thread and the universal love the game gets on Steam, GOG, etc. Even the rare negative reviews praise the writing as extraordinary. So, really, my reaction is that he's not writing for this audience, he's writing for himself and for his audience. I might feel differently if I saw even one or two of the game's actual players echoing these complaints, but I just don't.

Sometimes, when an author at last has creative freedom, the result is that fans of earlier work are disappointed -- like, I really enjoyed The Matrix but didn't particularly enjoy any of the Wachowskis' later work; I really enjoyed QFG but Hero-U doesn't appeal to me much; pretty much every fantasy novelist worsens over time in my opinion. So it may be that you guys enjoyed Dave's earlier games more than his current project. My point is that you can't really call it a "failure," though, if he is telling the story he wants to, the way he wants to, and is winning money, fame, and friends in the process. So I think the lines of criticism here are just off. It's one thing to say that Unavowed lacks psychological plausibility, moral nuance, meaningful narrative twists, clever turns of phrase, whatever -- I'm not sure those criticisms would be correct, but they would not be subject to the response, "But his game is a gigantic success and he's having fun." By contrast, criticisms like, "He's dumbing his game down, he's failing, he's a bad writer," etc. -- those seem necessarily inapt to me because they relate either to his subjective state of mind (which seems to me to be free and happy) or to his ability to reach an audience (which seems to me very effective).

I don't have much to say to that, though I did actually play and finish the game. Part of my own disappointment (and my reaction to the tame themes and writing) comes from the wonderfully gory and brooding opening sequence of the game, which looked as if it were going to set a tone different to that of the Blackwell series and the The Shivah. I'm not a gore-fag, but it was executed well, and the fact that it very quickly morphs into the standard Gilbert style was what I felt to be a huge missed opportunity.

Koschey

Arcane
From my impression a good portion of the people participating in the thread have actually played the game before or are playing along now. Other than Alpan above, I did as well, I seem to recall ERYFKRAD mentioning it, I assume baud did, since he checked alternate scenes for the other companions' therapy sessions and there's probably one or two guys more I'm not able to recall right now. What more would it need to count as 'one or two actual players echoing these complaints'?

Tigranes

Arcane
I think the issue is simple - whatever kind of sensibilities and audiences this guy is now writing for, he's clearly very successful with them. And clearly very few people on the Codex find it worthwhile in the least.

'Successful' doesn't mean good, and if someone wants to get into establishing objective qualities of adventure game writing and why this fails along those lines, no doubt they can. I'm not the person to do that - but at the same time, that doesn't mean I'm going to say "oh he's immensely successful with some people, that must mean he's making something good." It doesn't mean that at all. It just means this (in my opinion) rubbish has buyers.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Koschey Sure, although I was being slightly tendentious. But why don't Codexers leave reviews? I have to say that the thing I value most as a developer is reviews, positive or negative -- both let you know you're not shouting into a void, and negative ones serve as both a memento mori and a map to improvement.

Tigranes Fair enough.

I guess I'll stop derailing the thread by white knight for Dave. He reads the Codexs and posts when he feels necessary, so he can chime in if need arises.

Tigranes

Arcane
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the thoughts - and it's worthwhile to try and understand why somebody might love something you hate (and vice versa). But here it really does seem like the guy isn't really interested in 'adventure gaming' per se, but more or less a visual novel inspired by and riffing off a variety of TV cartoons and such in a pretty formulaic way. I don't even watch a lot of TV or superhero movies (and no doubt someone who does will tell me how Unavowed isn't the same as all that).

lightbane

Arcane
Now that we've sent Amos into the wild blue yonder...

Did that change anything? An achievement unlocked at least, or not even that?

Thank GOD!

Yeah, seeing a GREEK DIVINITY!! say this is quite stupid indeed.

Hadouken!

Soo, is there a scream of pain or something like that, or just a lame fade-to-black?

You know, I get that the party members are supposed not to have any agency with regard to these ~moral dilemmas~ but this kind of total cuckery on their part is just stretching it way too far.

Funnily enough in (older) Bioware games your teammates DID disagree if your actions went against their convictions, potentially leaving you at the worst moment possible. Nothing here.

But was he even human anymore? I dunno. A debate for another time.

Convenient self-deception. I wonder what would Manndana think if she heard you say that.

Hello. I am Logan. I am defined by nothing more than two stupid shticks.

MRY: "It's okay, the writing is totally good!"

Soo, the game is going for a Silent Hill-esque thing for the final level? Let's see how it goes.

Yeah, I get that, my point isn't that the game is above criticism, only that there's a real disconnect between the criticisms being leveled in this thread and the universal love the game gets on Steam, GOG, etc. Even the rare negative reviews praise the writing as extraordinary. So, really, my reaction is that he's not writing for this audience, he's writing for himself and for his audience.

Dood, as mentioned repeatedly, just because people like it it doesn't mean it is objectively good. Oblivion, Fallout 3 and even Life is Tumblr were considered to be good enough to have "best writing awards", which you'll agree that's untrue.

Successful' doesn't mean good, and if someone wants to get into establishing objective qualities of adventure game writing and why this fails along those lines, no doubt they can.

Also this. Shit and flies, yadda yadda.

I guess I'll stop derailing the thread by white knight for Dave. He reads the Codexs and posts when he feels necessary, so he can chime in if need arises.

In before he self-ejects himself.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
What a cliffhanger ending. At least we have reached the fortress of regrets.

lightbane

Arcane
Will you show the multiple endings, if any? I know there's one bad ending at least.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
20181101111600_1.jpg

Forward, you dogs!

20181103095514_1.jpg

@_@

20181103095516_1.jpg

20181103095519_1.jpg

20181103095521_1.jpg

20181103095523_1.jpg

phallic imagery

vicky3.png
We're... we're not in New York anymore, are we?

mandy1.png
No. We made it into the pocket realm. It is a... twisted version of our city.

eli1.png
That building. Look at the energy pouring out of it.

mandy1.png
That must be where our quarry lies.

20181103095543_1.jpg

Mel steps forth.

eli1.png
Um, are you all right?

20181103095546_1.jpg

Oh, of course.

20181103095548_1.jpg

:evilcodex: Call now upon the unholy power of the Chaos Gods!

20181103095554_1.jpg

:martini: Denizens of darkness. COME!

20181103095558_1.jpg

:evilcodex: The warp does my bidding!

but actually nothing happens

20181103095610_1.jpg

:martini: Damn it. Why isn't it working?

20181103095612_1.jpg

20181103095617_1.jpg

Focusing on dat darkness

screen starts shaking a bit

20181103095622_1.jpg

20181103095625_1.jpg

20181103095626_1.jpg

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :lol:

Also, you'd think these cretins would tackle Mel to the ground immediately upon losing control like this, but well, the Unavowed are not known for their sensibility.

eli1.png
Okay, she's back, everyone relax.

logan1.png
You blacked out for a minute, you started chanting. What happened?

20181103095638_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Codexia was trying to cast a spell. I can cast it now too.

convenient

eli1.png
A spell? What kind of spell?

20181103095644_1.jpg

:desu: Maybe I should cast it and find out?

mandy1.png
It sounded like a spell of... summoning.

vicky1.png
Whatever it is, maybe turn the other way the next time you cast it?

Wise! It's always a good idea to stand 10+ meters away from the psyker lest perils of the warp be triggered.

20181103095654_1.jpg

We have received the bronze sphere. Let's see what it does.

20181103095707_1.jpg

@_@

20181103095714_1.jpg

That's a very... specifc list of things. Let's focus on feuer first.

20181103095718_1.jpg

o hey zordon

jordon.png
I can hear you. Kind of. Where are you?

20181103095726_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Jordon? How are you... doing?

jordon.png
Fine, master. A bit lonely, but... fine. There are lots of people here, people like me. I don't understand the language yet, but I'm learning. How... how are YOU doing? You sound different.

:codexisfor: I've learned... a lot. A lot about myself. I'm not human.

jordon.png
We... always suspected that, master. But we were all too chicken to ask. But still, I'm happy for you. It looks like we're both figuring things out.

:codexisfor: I'm not anyone's master, Jordon. Please don't call me that.

jordon.png
Old habits die hard, master. Even in this place.

:codexisfor: I need your help, Jordon. Can I summon you here?

jordon.png
You mean... transfer me across the void again? It wasn't a pleasant experience, but I do owe you for helping me. So yes. I'll help you. Just the once. What do you need?

20181103095808_1.jpg

:codexisfor: I'm not actually sure yet.

jordon.png
Oh well. Once you know, feel free to ask.

:codexisfor: Goodbye for now, Jordon. It's good to talk to you.

jordon.png
Same here, master. You... take care of yourself.

20181103095821_1.jpg

Next up is wasser. Who could it be?

20181103095823_1.jpg

20181103095825_1.jpg

of course, this git.

I am in the middle of BATTLE. You are distracting me! Speak quickly!

20181103095833_1.jpg

:codexisfor: How goes the war?

Small talk is the key to success.

It... continues. I must hurry back to it. Tell me what you want of me.

:codexisfor: I'm sorry to disturb you again, General.

Hmm, you sound sincere. In fact, I'd say you sound DIFFERENT.

:codexisfor: I've learnt I'm not exactly human. It's complicated.

Of course you are not human. You bested ME. And showed compassion and mercy when I deserved neither. Now... what do you want of me?

"You bested me!" he says as if it were more complicated than doing a drive-by on a motorboat.

:codexisfor: We could use your help, General. Could I summon you here?

My... help? I suppose I owe you a boon, in exchange for sparing my life. What do you want of me? And be quick!

but I thought he could no longer be summoned to this plane without Harrison alive :neveraskedforthis:

:codexisfor: I'm actually not sure yet.

Then stop wasting my time!

burn

:codexisfor: So long, General.

I must return to the war. Goodbye, summoner.

20181103095909_1.jpg

Sayonara.

20181103095915_1.jpg

Nature is next on the list.

20181103095916_1.jpg

Guess that would be Galene. Alas, she's too stoned to come by. Hóhóhó.

20181103095919_1.jpg

The art of war.

20181103095921_1.jpg

... oh no

not you again

:rage:

calli1.png
Oh, come on! You wanna bug me NOW? It took me MONTHS to get these tickets.

20181103095926_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Hi, Calli, it's been a while.

calli1.png
Has it? Time goes so much FASTER than it used to. Except when it doesn't. Mortal lives are weird. Anyway, what's up?

:codexisfor: Are things... okay?

calli1.png
Okay? I've gone to six Broadway plays, read the complete works of Shakespeare, and entered the hotdog eating contest at Coney Island! It was incredible! I threw up twice!

:codexisfor: We could use your help. Can I summon you here? Just temporarily?

calli1.png
Umm, I suppose? I guess I do owe you one. Whaddaya need?

:codexisfor: I'm actually not sure. We only just got here.

calli1.png
Then call me back when you ARE sure! Are we done? They're about to sing "Farmer Refuted".

:codexisfor: Goodbye. Sorry to bother you.

calli1.png
Byeee!

Fuck you!

20181103100002_1.jpg

Blood on ice.

20181103100003_1.jpg

Figures.

roy1.png
What? Who is that? Oh, it's YOU, Melkhiresa. Have you come to collect your favor at last?

20181103100013_1.jpg

:codexisfor: I'm calling to collect that favor. We need help.

roy1.png
Well, a bargain was struck. I WILL honor it. To... the best of my ability, of course. Now, what do you seek?

:codexisfor: What do you mean, the best of your ability?

roy1.png
Oh, didn't you know? My powers come from the UNSEELIE court. The fae of winter. My abilities are not unlimited. Still, one does one's best.

:codexisfor: Why didn't you tell me about these limits before?

Should have read the fine print, Mel.

roy1.png
You didn't ASK. Now, what do you need?

:codexisfor: I'm actually not sure what we need. We only just got here.

roy1.png
If I was a devious sort, I'd call "wasting my time" a favor and be done with it. But... Robin Goodfellow's no welcher. So I'll pretend I did not hear that.

:codexisfor: Goodbye, Robin.

20181103100055_1.jpg

Off he goes.

20181103100100_1.jpg

Dorkness is all that remains.

20181103100103_1.jpg

Why the dergon would be darkness, I do not know.

20181103100106_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Can I summon you here? I need your help.

You... showed me a kindness when you had no reason to. But in your world, I have no tangible form. I only exist in the world of the dead. I will be of no help to you.

So it goes.

:codexisfor: Goodbye. I am sorry to disturb you.

Hmph.

20181103100141_1.jpg

That's it for the summoning spell. Seems we'll be able to call for blackup when we get to face Codexia's malicious traps.

Blackup_1b40cb_797554.jpg

And now, let's proceed to the rickety-looking bridge.

20181103100148_1.jpg

20181103100218_1.jpg

Cozy.

vicky1.png
Jesus. Listen to that CREAKING. This thing is being held up by spit and staples.

logan1.png
And maybe a prayer or two.

mandy1.png
This bridge was created out of sheer force of will. It is only as stable as the one who created it.

I can build bridges with my will. I can unmake you.

vicky1.png
Yeah, that's not exactly encouraging.

20181103100224_1.jpg

There's also shit on the other side.

This arch leads off the bridge, and you hope to stability.

A metal girder hangs suspended by a thin cable.

20181103100238_1.jpg

Looks like an easy enough obstacle to pass. Bandana can probably jump across.

mandy1.png
The gap is wide, but not... entirely insurmountable. I will just... get some distance.

20181103100245_1.jpg

Big distance.

eli3.png
Are you SURE about this?

mandy1.png
I am not.

20181103100251_1.jpg

There she goes.

20181103100253_1.jpg

:hero:

20181103100255_1.jpg

Meh, would have been funnier if she didn't make the jump.

20181103100257_1.jpg

20181103100304_1.jpg

Since Bandana can't reach the girder (wuxia not powerful enough), we have Vicki shoot it down.

20181103100305_1.jpg

That's some really fucking powergamed accuracy to get it on the first shot.

vicky3.png
Sorry!

mandy1.png
*Sigh*

20181103100314_1.jpg

Time to turn this mush into muscle.

20181103100322_1.jpg

The camera conveniently pans to the side to skip the awkward animation :thumbsup:

20181103100328_1.jpg

Freedom!

20181103100333_1.jpg

(WO)MAN DOWN!

mandy5.png
That... was... bracing.

eli1.png
Are you all right?

mandy1.png
I will... manage.

20181103100401_1.jpg

Let us spearhead the assault.

20181103100414_1.jpg

This looks promising. The compass on the map keeps switching from ENSN to WWWW all the time.

vicky1.png
Phew. Glad to be on solid ground again. Not that anything in this place can be called "solid".

logan1.png
Where are we, anyway?

mandy1.png
[Perception] The map says... you are here?

logan1.png
That doesn't answer my question. Where is "here"?

mandy1.png
That is what we must find out.

You can't make heads or tails of this map. Helpful.

20181103100453_1.jpg

No other way but to go forth.

20181103100458_1.jpg

What a dump.

logan1.png
Everything's boarded up. Did anyone live here?

mandy1.png
Doubtful. This was created for... appearances. As for why and to what purpose... I do not know.

20181103100522_1.jpg

:neveraskedforthis:

Up the street we go.

20181103100529_1.jpg

logan1.png
Come on. Really?

vicky1.png
Er, right. Sorry, KayKay.

The ways out are again left, right, up. Up and away we go.

20181103100545_1.jpg

[Intellection] So it's a maze. Wooo.

vicky1.png
Um. How did we end up back here? I don't remember doubling back.

mandy1.png
No. We most definitely did not.

Going right again...

20181103100618_1.jpg

and again...

20181103100630_1.jpg

Well then.

20181103100639_1.jpg

No matter which path we take, we always just keep bouncing between the same three areas.

Maybe there's some kind of twisted logic to this maze, but I certainly can't be bothered to try to figure it out.

20181103101141_1.jpg

So let's call for blackup.

At first I thought Goodfellow would be the goy for the job, since fairies are tricksters, but he says he cant do shit. Which, for whatever reason, leaves us with...

20181103101142_1.jpg

:negative:

calli1.png
What do you want? They're about to sing "The Story of Tonight".

20181103101149_1.jpg

:codexisfor: We're a bit lost in some kind of maze. Can you help us?

calli1.png
Yeah. Someone created that maze, so I should be able to sense the purpose behind it.

... seriously?

that's some gigantic mental gymnastics.

calli1.png
Fine, bring me over. I just hope my date doesn't think I ditched her.

accursed greek sodomites

20181103101156_1.jpg

calli1.png
Eugh. This place STINKS.

Just shut up already :negative:

mandy1.png
I do not smell anything.

calli1.png
Not LITERALLY. I mean it stinks as a MAZE. It's not a maze, there's no way out. It's a trap.

ackbar_wide-f0a673c875361830e84eaa3b98f7f886a750b0e5-s800-c85.jpg

20181103101203_1.jpg

:codexisfor: A trap?

calli1.png
Duh. That's what I said. Now let's see here... did you try pushing that button over there?

vicky1.png
Button? What button?

calli1.png
That map thingy. It's not a map. Not really. There's a button hidden in the image.

20181103101217_1.jpg

so there is

calli1.png
Do you see it? It's pretty obvious once you know it's there.

20181103101224_1.jpg

:neveraskedforthis: How on earth were we supposed to see that?

This almost makes me think like it's a jab at pixel hunting.

calli1.png
Um. That was the POINT. You weren't supposed to see it at all. Anyway, I gotta get back. See you around.

don't you ever dare return

20181103101230_1.jpg

Oooooh, button! :desu:

20181103101320_1.jpg

Zing. The wall fades away, revealing a passage.

20181103101332_1.jpg

:hmmm:

vicky1.png
Not to mention COLD. I should have packed a warmer jacket.

20181103101346_1.jpg

Fortunately we have a flammenwerfer.

20181103101349_1.jpg

That's right, bomb that gate to hell :patriot:

eli1.png
Um. That gate is several feet thick. This is going to be... difficult.

mandy1.png
Difficult but not impossible?

eli3.png
No, not impossible. I CAN do it, but it'll drain me. Like, a lot. But if there's no other way... well, just say the word.

20181103101400_1.jpg

:codexisfor: No. We'll find another way.

eli1.png
Okay. Phew.

Seems like this is just the thing to call reinforcements to.

20181103101441_1.jpg

:codexisfor: Can you open this ice gate?

roy1.png
I am a fae of the WINTER COURT. Of course I can open a gate made of ice. But... be sure. Is this the favor you want from me? You WILL NOT receive another.

20181103101450_1.jpg

Let's not be so hasty.

:codexisfor: No, we'll find another way.

roy1.png
That is your prerogative.

There's one more option to consider.

20181103102650_1.jpg

:codexisfor: A giant ice gate is blocking our way. Can you melt it for us?

jordon.png
You want something melted? Sure, I can do that. Easy. But... are you sure that's what you want me to do? I only want to do this once.

Seems like a majorbigimpactful choice!

What will it be, ye Codex? Will Eli blast the gate, will Zordon melt it, or will Goodfellow haxx0r it open?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
but I thought he could no longer be summoned to this plane without Harrison alive
Guess are aren't in this plane any more.

The muse lost her powers, but it seems she was a diviner(5)/muse(10), so it's k.

Let us use ignus, that way he will have less power when tno summons him to betray us later on.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Button on public transit map opening secret passage might be a Primordia reference.

orcinator

Liturgist
Just go with the first option on the list until we reach the part where we pick an ending.
Then go with the first option on the list.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom