Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Magic the Gathering Arena

Discussion in 'The Gazebo' started by Berekän, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Multi-headed Cow Savant

Multi-headed Cow
    Play golgari and mainboard 4 assassin's trophy since every single deck in existence is degenerate and running a million ways to ramp, so the downside is negligible and it's the final solution to the field and planeswalker problem.

^ Top  
  2. Dawkinsfan69 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

Dawkinsfan69
    If I were starting on a new account I would just spend all of my gold on rare drafting then use whatever gems I get to do even more ranked draft. If you rare draft the set 30 times you should end up with damn close to a full playset of the rares as long as you wait until after you've done all your drafts to open packs.

30 sounds like a lot but once you start rolling with the gold to gem conversion then re-entering with gems you should be able to draft 2-4 times a week which means you should hit that sometime in december before the next set comes out. Then just save whatever gold for drafts for the next set.

I wouldn't worry about cards from previous sets because they'll rotate out in a year and you're better off just putting all gold into new sets and maybe spend wildcards on crap from older sets as needed.

yeah I really wanted to get 2x ethereal absolution on the board as a big "fuck you" to fotd but that card's just bad against almost every other deck and even against field they usually have about 20 lands in play before I can even cast it. Golgari is fun tho

^ Top  
  3. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    Is rare drafting the one that costs 5000 gold? Also how come you should wait until after the draft to open stuff?

^ Top  
  4. Dawkinsfan69 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

Dawkinsfan69
    yeah do the 5000 gold draft and just take every rare card that you can get. rares from packs are duplicate protected so if you wait to open packs you won't need to worry about getting a 5th copy of a rare. rares in draft aren't duplicate protected

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Dawkinsfan69 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

Dawkinsfan69
    Gave up on orzhov but FINALLY brewed up a deck that actually works on ranked. and it's fun! fairy angels!

Of course it can stomp fotd, but also it's beaten just about every other netdeck

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    playing against blue mill all the time isnt how i like spending my time. i guess ill just spend rest of my gold on packs directly

^ Top  
  7. Dawkinsfan69 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

Dawkinsfan69
    Huh. Even though I drafted blue mill every time, I was only matched against it like 2-3 times.. And I did somewhere around 12 drafts.

I wonder if they're matching based on deck color or something

^ Top  
  8. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    yeah they do, to penalize you further. For example if you play in standard some red aggro deck, game will try to match you with people with different decks. As result cancer sees less cancer, while those who like to play with non standard stuff suffer more

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. new fucking guy Educated

new fucking guy
    RB cat oven is the most fun I've had grinding standard events. Main board 1 mana act of treason? Hell yeah.

^ Top  
  10. Dawkinsfan69 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

Dawkinsfan69
    I do like the idea of act of treason a creature, swinging to face, then cooking it lol

feels pretty evil

^ Top  
  11. Dawkinsfan69 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

Dawkinsfan69
    izzet land destruction lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Stormcrowfleet Cipher

Stormcrowfleet
    Not a bad idea. I run Jund Land Destruction for now, because I like those 2/1 (destroy target creature to fetch a land, destroy planeswalker/creature/land/etc. all in one, etc.) and the ramp. I should try it with your set-up, looks fun also.

^ Top  
  13. spectre Arcane

spectre
    I need to buy a lottery ticket or something. Drafted Outlaw's Merriment today, managed to get ~10 triggers out of it in the course of three games. The results were 8x 2/1 Clerics in a row, followed by 2x 1/2s Rogue. For a moment I thought it crapped out.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Dawkinsfan69 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

Dawkinsfan69
    I feel like a 5 year old but I just can't get over how fucking cool drakuseth looks

[​IMG]

Show Spoiler
    especially when face-raping fotd
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  15. Multi-headed Cow Savant

Multi-headed Cow
    Drakuseth's peak big-creature performance. Agent of treachery is good and powerful, but he isn't nearly as fun to play as the big fuck-you dragon.

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    These fucking field of the dead decks are cancer. The worst are the ones that are full of counterspells. They counter 95% of what I play, and then a bunch of 2/2s appear every turn for the rest of the game. Fucking retarded WOTC.

• Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Scruffy The janitor Patron

Scruffy
    Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
    yeah so eldrain draft is absolute garbage, i refuse to force the mill deck, whoever developed this set is clearly an idiot

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Dawkinsfan69 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

Dawkinsfan69
    I had fun, but I forced mill nearly every time and had something like 70-80% win rate so that prolly has something to do with it :/

I can't imagine having fun in this format with any other archetype though, because it's so difficult to get in for damage due to the crazy amount of removal plus the high toughness creatures that seem so common. Doesn't help that most of the aggressive creatures have one fucking toughness so good luck attacking with those. So outside of mill the games seem to be a whole lot of board stall until one player just draws better for a few turns.

That's also what makes mill so damn good btw, because the 0/4 creature straight up blocks like 80% of the format and the few things it can't block, blue has so much removal to handle that it doesn't even matter.

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Scruffy The janitor Patron

Scruffy
    pro tip from someone who has been playing this game since 96-97
    non-interactive is bad
    not being able to play your cards is bad
    suffocating control is bad
    sitting at a table and watch someone else play while you do nothing is bad

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. J1M Arcane

J1M
    Not bad enough that you play a different game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    How do I find good bo1 decks? Like there are some very strong decks which have beat me which seemed so strong that I made a note of all the cards. But they are not tournament winners. Is there a list of those somewhere? Also a lot of the tournament winning decks seem not that great and probably rely on the clever sideboard to win which is no use to me in the modes I play.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    ^ Top  
  22. Jason Liang Arcane

Jason Liang
    So I went ahead and spent my wild cards for Historic/ Brawl.

Anyway, here are my checklists ~
    - They are divided between Essential, Recommended and Suggested.
    - 4X is for competitive Historic, 1-4X is for both Historic and Brawl, and 1X is mostly for Brawl.
    - A little tight on the rare list since they are the most tight. Just get the stuff you think you'll end up playing is my advice.
    - * means a card that is reprinted in M20 (so not essential to get). Note that cards from M19 should probably have a lower priority since they have a higher chance of getting reprinted sometime down the line
    - Cards should be in order by collection if you filter for rarity and the 4 rotating sets (IXN, RIX, DOM and M19)

Essential Checklist
    Mythic

Rare
    Uncommon
    Common

^ Top  
  23. Jason Liang Arcane

Jason Liang
    Highly Recommended Checklist

Mythic
    Rare
    Uncommon
    Common

^ Top  
  24. Jason Liang Arcane

Jason Liang
    Suggestions Checklist

Mythic
    Rare
    Uncommon

Common

^ Top  
  25. Scruffy The janitor Patron

Scruffy
    actually, i have, for extended periods
    this might be the beginning of one of those, depending on the bans

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)