Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

The Real Fanboy

Parvati, Eder and the grandmother super mutant from fallout: new vegas made it into one of those top coolest and chic characters of the decade lists!!!

(Aloy did too, but like that was such a given)

EDÉR TEYLECG (PILLARS OF ETERNITY SERIES)
One of the very first characters I met in Pillars of Eternity, Edér Teylecg was my constant companion throughout that game. He serves as the spiritual center of the story, and is just really chill about it the entire time. I liken it to having Matthew McConaughey in your adventuring party. In the original game, and the sequel Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire, he’s voiced by actor Matt Mercer, the man behind the Critical Role series. In fact, including the player character and optional downloadable content, you basically fill your entire party with different versions of Mercer.

LILY BOWEN (FALLOUT: NEW VEGAS)
Lily Bowen is one of the most tragic companions players will find in the Fallout series. A hulking brute with a frightening voice, Bowen is in fact a grandmother, transformed by the Forced Evolutionary Virus. Her condition presents an impossible dilemma: Continue to take her medication and lose the memory of her grandchildren, whose voices she keeps on a holotape, or keep the memory of her loved ones in the near term, and eventually succumb to insanity. Either way, her outcome gets a memorable and heartbreaking narration in New Vegas’ closing montage.

PARVATI HOLCOMB (THE OUTER WORLDS)
Parvati is the very first character you meet in The Outer Worlds, and if the internet at large is to be believed, she’s also the very best. The fans do have a point. Parvati is painfully genuine, and serves as a lens through which the player discovers the game universe for the first time. Her quest line in that game also tells a wonderful and important story, one that ties back into the character’s writer on a very personal level. It also helps that Parvati is voiced by the extraordinary Ashly Burch.

Codex Year of the Donut
scrolled through the list, have no idea who 3/4ths of the characters are.
I'm not being some grumpy old man, look at this:
Florence Yeoh (Florence)
Florence Yeoh, the namesake of Mountains’ Florence, is a stunning character, one more affecting in an hour’s worth of mobile gameplay than plenty of characters I’ve spent many hours with. Florence is a game about connections, whether those are in friendship, in love, or with family. The game’s design — particularly its clever use of touchscreen mechanics — gives these connections a tactile feel that brings depth and nuance to Florence as we learn about her love, life, and worries.

Nicole Carpenter
I have never heard of that game. I checked Wikipedia, and apparently it's a mobile-only visual novel.
Gee, I wonder what could have made it get on the list… Let me just continue reading this Wikipedia article…
PC Authority's Alayna Cole praised the game for standing out with a story about love and diversity, describing it as feeling "like a rarity" in modern video game culture.[22]
Ah.

Oh hey, I found one I recognize…

Lincoln Clay (Mafia 3)
The classic up-from-nothing crime lord archetype got a remarkable twist in 2K Games’ 1960s period piece Mafia 3: Lincoln Clay, a black Army veteran, nihilistic and shell-shocked from his tour of duty in Vietnam. His insular world of New Bordeaux (basically New Orleans) comes apart in a series of gangland double crosses and reprisals, and the story unfolds as a classic revenge fable. But Lincoln’s fate depends on how much the player understood him, or respected the truth that all Lincoln wanted was Sal Marcano dead, for betraying the Black Mob. Either outcome is a fitting end, whether the player views Clay as an avenging antihero or another crook who succumbs to greed.
:prosper:

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
People love Parvati not only because she's an SJW poster gal, but also because she epitomizes the Joss Whedon dialog obsession most millennials have.
I rather like Whedon's style of dialogues when they delivered by talented actors with huge range of facial expression and gestures.

But when every talking head in the game with dead eyes shoots "witty" on-liners at me with steady rate 5/minute - magic is lost.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
vortex , you can't have a pirate game with ship-traveling main character and not have ship to ship combat. If the system wasn't fun for players, that's on Sawyer for fucking it up. Perhaps next time he should focus on making the ship combat interesting instead of focusing on adding personalities to the sailors or making them do gay sex with the captain.
Risen 2 & 3 had fun ship combat system,shame that you only fight retarded monsters.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
People love Parvati not only because she's an SJW poster gal, but also because she epitomizes the Joss Whedon dialog obsession most millennials have.

Parvati and Max are by far the most fully realized characters in the game. Plus, in addition to her Firefly style dialogue, Parvati comes off as extremely relatable to people who are earnest and enthusiastic but also shy and socially awkward. That’s practically the profile of someone who loves to gush about fictional characters on the internet. It’s like she was designed to take Tumblr by storm.

The Real Fanboy

Parvati and Max are by far the most fully realized characters in the game. Plus, in addition to her Firefly style dialogue, Parvati comes off as extremely relatable to people who are earnest and enthusiastic but also shy and socially awkward. That’s practically the profile of someone who loves to gush about fictional characters on the internet. It’s like she was designed to take Tumblr by storm.
Omg yeah there's such little Ellie and Nyoka fan stuff compared to Parvati and its so unfair
tumblr_mfg4alq8nI1r3rttno1_500.gifv

Max and Felix are also really big online.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Default male Shepard's face texture looks ten times better than any custom one can, which is the main reason I used him.

Never used MaleShep. Played the trilogy 2 times already , my only regret is that i can't romance Tali.. Perhaps when ME3 comes to steam at low price, i gonna give Male shep a chance but idk if cant endure playing ME1 again tho..

Ninjerk

Arcane
Default male Shepard's face texture looks ten times better than any custom one can, which is the main reason I used him.

Never used MaleShep. Played the trilogy 2 times already , my only regret is that i can't romance Tali.. Perhaps when ME3 comes to steam at low price, i gonna give Male shep a chance but idk if cant endure playing ME1 again tho..
:prosper:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I'm assuming there are UI/UX guys moving between projects.
https://www.mobygames.com/game/playstation-4/outer-worlds/credits

UI designer: Kylan Coats
UI artists: Glenn Lattiere, Katayune Golshan
UI programmers: Adrian Hernández, Michael Kemski, Jorge Morales, Nate McDorman, Jonathan Rebar

Only Nate worked on Pillars 2, most of the others are new or only worked on Armored Warfare. Not a good first impression.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom