Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Onlive died today.

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Xi, Jun 18, 2010.

?

Will you try Onlive?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  2. No

61 vote(s)
    81.3%
  3. KC(I am gay)

11 vote(s)
    14.7%
  1. Xi Arcane

Xi
    Onlive is officially, live.

http://www.onlive.com/signup

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    Let's see if the idiots flock to this piece of shit.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Xi Arcane

Xi
    They are offering a free year(Limited to those who initially sign up) with the second year for 4.95 a month. You can demo the games for free and then purchase them if you like them.

^ Top  
  4. Silellak Liturgist

Silellak
    If it's free, I may as well fucking try it, I guess.

It won't work, but at least I can see for myself how awful it is.

^ Top  
  5. Xi Arcane

Xi
    It appears like you cannot directly sign-up at the moment. You have to apply to the free one year offer, and they will send invites out. Then you can demo games for free. You should be able to directly sign up in July and I believe it will still come with a 3 month trial period. You have to purchase full games, but you can still demo them to try out the service.

Also, they offer Onlive Portal which allows you to rent/demo games without paying the monthly fee. This will be determined by network load however.

I got into the Beta, but was out of town for the test period(go figure). I'm still interested in trying the service out. Maybe I'll have to give Ass Effect 2 a go. We shall see.

Also, I'll have to make a direct connection(Im using wireless at the moment) to make it optimal. Other than that, should be good ;P

^ Top  
  6. Xi Arcane

Xi
    http://blog.onlive.com/
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/universitymisc

^ Top  
  7. Overweight Manatee Scholar

Overweight Manatee
    Truly we live in an advanced age when I can pay extra money for the privilege of not owning the games I play, having input lag, playing with inferior graphics and sound, and having my balls firmly in the hands of moralless corporations.

^ Top  
  8. Xi Arcane

Xi
    Pay less for the games. Check.

Pay a low $10 a month (cancel and renew at any time). Check.

Never upgrade your current PC every again.(Or never buy expensive hardware ever again). Check.

Demo games before you buy them. Check.

Or:

Keep purchasing expensive hardware and playing games like you always have. No big deal.

^ Top  
  9. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Am I missing something, or were we always able to do that?

No way this isn't bullshit. I don't even know the specifics, but I'm sure it is.

^ Top  
  10. Xor Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Xor
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    But seriously, Xi, nobody is going to use this service and the fact that you bought the hype does not speak well to your character.

^ Top  
  11. Xi Arcane

Xi
    I have a Network Tech Degree. I predicted this years ago. That's why it interests me. (I also have a degree in Psychology)

Most games do not have demos. This new platform offers demos as a prime feature. Try before you buy.

^ Top  
  12. Overweight Manatee Scholar

Overweight Manatee
    Its not bullshit, you pay to upgrade *their* hardware. When you quit, they keep the hardware to better serve other customers and you are left with nothing but your dick in hand.

You obviously didn't obtain them in any place that tests for knowledge very well. What exactly is a 'network tech' degree btw? Knowing the technical details of how networks work is like a 3 credit course, not a degree.

^ Top  
  13. Cassidy Arcane

Cassidy
    Use my PC just as a bridge to a rented computer that could be shut down and modified in any way, at any time?

Excuse me but this feels like shoving my head into my ass and paying for it.

^ Top  
  14. Xor Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Xor
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    What's the point of telling me you have a psychology degree? Am I supposed to be impressed? The basic concept of this system is inherently flawed. It's inferior to a rental service which is something we already have in the game industry anyway. There are numerous reasons why this service will probably fail within the next year, and I'm being generous.

^ Top  
  15. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic.

DarkUnderlord
    Not all developers would bother creating a demo for their game.

Oh, unless you mean the piracy kind of demo. Hyuk. That's exactly why developers will move to this instead.

All you need is a computer that's capable of displaying video as that's basically all that's being sent to you over the server.

Just like how nobody uses Steam I suppose (bcuz wut hapens wen da server goz down lawlz) and how nobody puts invasive DRM in their products that limit activations and shit. And much like how nobody ever pays those monthly fees to play MMO's when they could buy and play single player games without ongoing costs.

Why are you acting like you have a choice in this? Half-Life 3 will be delivered OnLive and if you want it, there's only one way you're going to be able to play it.

^ Top  
  16. Xi Arcane

Xi
    I agree. Mostly I was certified CCNA/CCNP, all the microsoft bullshit, a bunch of others and given an applied science degree. I worked for Dell, did some consulting for a few local businesses, and even worked for Bestbuy as a Geeksquad dood for a while(Great pay, was close to $30 an hour). I burnt out on tech though. I hated the constant grind to know what was new. So I set it aside and pursued a second degree.(In a nutshell, it involves building networks on the large scale.)

Anyway, the importance of me explaining this is that I predicted this trend about 9 years ago. It just seemed like the most likely scenario as network technology progressed(and it has greatly). Of course connection speed is still an issue, but technologies like this help to boost demand and it won't be long before we see faster connection speeds. Latency is a side issue, but even this will get better. It's already pretty low in comparison to say 10 years ago. Back then, 300-800 ping was common in online games. Now a days, sub 100 levels are common.

I guess I see this as a push into the future of tech. I'm intrigued. I don't know how well this tech will do initially, but I promise you that it will never go away. You will see this type of tech pop up everywhere in the next few years. Anyway...

^ Top  
  17. Zomg Arbiter

Zomg
    How can this possibly not be a latency shitstorm

^ Top  
  18. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic.

DarkUnderlord
    I think that much like the very first PDA's and notepads, OnLive will fail without a significant amount of funds behind it and a massive push to up network capacity. I think they're pushing it too early at this time though because even as fast as computers are today, they still need a fair bit of grunt to push these games out and that can be expensive.

It won't be until another 10 - 20 years when the technology gets better that we get the cost-effective version. Much like an iPhone today is the PDA of the 80's and the iPad is a working version of technology that's been around for donkey's years now.

^ Top  
  19. Xi Arcane

Xi
    Hard to say because Onlive has a lot of funding and they are practically giving away the service for free to let it catch on. All they need is 500,000 Subscribers and it will be a success. I'm sure they can hold out for 5 years or more.

I agree with the idea that network tech is slightly behind though. Still, 20 years is a quantum leap in technology. There's so much advanced shit out there, it boggles the mind. Much of which never sees the light of day. However, the fact that this tech is here right now, and people are beginning to use it as of today, well it's a milestone and the rest of the industry will scale to meet new demands(be it from this tech or something else).

Plus, there is more than one of these services in the works. Gaikai is probably the other big one. EA signed a deal with them too. I think Gaikai works a little bit differently though, in terms of the service features, but it's the same idea. Not to mention, these services will scale to offer big industry apps to small businesses. This opens the door for big business computing to the little guys.

I will agree on one thing that I have seen mentioned numerous times. Games that require extremely low latency will probably struggle on this service for a while. FPS games and action games mostly. Still, there are plenty of games that the latency will be mostly unnoticeable and most people won't care too much. It's a trade off in terms of performance because load times, graphics, and general system requirements will be close to nill. Latency is just a temporary trade-off.

^ Top  
  20. Silellak Liturgist

Silellak
    Oh, they aren't supporting WiFi yet. Guess I won't be posting my impressions any time soon.

^ Top  
  21. Xi Arcane

Xi
    You can use Wifi, it's just that it will add latency. Doesn't mean the games won't be playable, but it's not recommended.

^ Top  
  22. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    :lol:

No, I meant actual demos. I never had trouble finding demos for the games I wanted.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)