Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

Elex

Arbiter
But for once my build feels somewhat alright: hits like a truck and it's hard to get hit.
Meanwhile a level one smilodon gets five attacks per round, apparently. Should've gone summoner. :P
two handed fighter is not about numbers of attack.
is about double/triple dip on strenght and combine it with cleave/opportunity.

it’s stuff like weaponD+30 damage at lv 5-6

it’s litterally “I CAST CLEAVE” and a blood explosion replaces the hordes of enemies

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Is there any downside to using Heightened spells in place of regular ones?
It takes up a higher level spell slot. For example, a Fireball Heightened to a 4th level spell takes up a 4th level slot, not a 3rd level one. However, everything else remains the same (max damage cap, etc.).

Heighten is useful for penetrating things like Globe of Invulnerability, increasing spell DC (it is a 4th level spell, so DC is 14+casting stat bonus for that Fireball example) and for certain PrC qualifying shenannigans, but other than that, not really.

Duh you're right, I misread the "counts as its effective level".

Or... Did I?
dQcyzy1.png

Cael

Arcane
Is there any downside to using Heightened spells in place of regular ones?
It takes up a higher level spell slot. For example, a Fireball Heightened to a 4th level spell takes up a 4th level slot, not a 3rd level one. However, everything else remains the same (max damage cap, etc.).

Heighten is useful for penetrating things like Globe of Invulnerability, increasing spell DC (it is a 4th level spell, so DC is 14+casting stat bonus for that Fireball example) and for certain PrC qualifying shenannigans, but other than that, not really.

Duh you're right, I misread the "counts as its effective level".

Or... Did I?
dQcyzy1.png
You need to tell the game how many levels you want to heighten it. For example, you can heighten that Hold Person to a level 4 spell, which means DC 14+, or to a 6th level spell with DC 16+.

There should be some sort of interface for you to tell the game how much you want to heighten by. Otherwise, the feat is bugged.

panda

Savant
Fey which really matter have about DC30+ permanent bewildering aura, at levels you can first meet them it doesn't matter how high your saves are really, you'll have to change tactic anyway.
There are several of them later? I've met only one on river island. Though, maybe dryad from curse3 had aura too, can't remember.
IIRC even top dryads were sadly easy to kill because they can't do shit to Jaethal and can't reach Ecun with his big black bow.
But if you drop Jaethal and go full melee :mixedemotions:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
But for once my build feels somewhat alright: hits like a truck and it's hard to get hit.
Meanwhile a level one smilodon gets five attacks per round, apparently. Should've gone summoner. :P

That's why Harrim exists ;)

That one or Monster Tactician.
Harrim is fine as a grumpy doom & gloom cleric, so it'd have to be a custom hireling.
Though I'd rather make a custom fighter and have the main character as the summoner, because a) higher persuasion, and b) Valerie, ugh.

We agree to disagree.

Harrim sucks balls as a pure cleric and because of his high WIS it's better to multi-class him to Druid, Ranger or Inquisitor.

Why is he better as multiclass than cleric due his high wisdom? I thought clerics should have high wisdom.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Mass mind blank it is then
Mind Blank grants a +8 resistance bonus against mind-affecting spells. This is the same bonus that a ring of resistance gives. You'll most likely find some of those. So don't expect miracles from that spell.
Best rings are Luck not Resistance. Standard rings only give AC.

Harrim sucks balls as a pure cleric and because of his high WIS it's better to multi-class him to Druid, Ranger or Inquisitor.
Good STR, CON, 18 WIS, can heal, can buff, can wear heavy armor, can Fear, can Touch, can destroy, has True Strike (only one but still good spell).
What's not to like about dorf necromancer

Last edited:

Andnjord

Arcane
Good STR, CON, 18 WIS, can heal, can buff, can wear heavy armor, can Fear, can Touch, can destroy, has True Strike (only one but still good spell).
What's not to like about dorf
Aye, he might not be good healbot, but give him that Cape of Necromancy artifact, spell focus in necromancy and watch him spam Boneshatter on those bosses while laughing at their pitiful saves and seeing them get exhausted. And he can still do the usual cleric business of Death Warding, restoring and stuffies. I like him too.

hell bovine

Arcane
I am not going to multiclass the companions into classes that make no sense for them roleplaying wise. I'd rather make a custom companion from scratch.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Not in great details :)

My previous build provided equal Fortitude, Reflex and Will saves and it sucked balls soon after chapter 1.

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems that Fortitude is the most important save for a front-liner and the scale of importance is like this: Fortitude > Will > Reflex.

That's why I decided to buff Fortitude as high as possible, I intend to use casters to buff Will saves while Reflex ... well, I got no solution for this except that I will try to take down enemies casters/archers as fast as possible (which I will do anyway).

I could have increased WIS instead of INT but that's like +1 Will save versus +1 Skill per level. I don't know.
Nope. +1 INT modfier is only 1/2 skill point per level in this game. Supposedly they changed it because there are less skills implemented relative to pnp. Effectively 2 points of WILL vs 2 points of INT is +1 will save vs 1/2 skill point per level (in other words 1 skill point every 2 levels).

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
What's not to like about dorf
Aye, he might not be good healbot, but give him that Cape of Necromancy artifact, spell focus in necromancy and watch him spam Boneshatter on those bosses while laughing at their pitiful saves and seeing them get exhausted. And he can still do the usual cleric business of Death Warding, restoring and stuffies. I like him too.

Tristian is a much better healer than Harrim (domain, CHA, more channels) and I don't really need Harrim in the front-line as I already have 3 front-liners.

But I will admit that I was wrong: it didn't cross my mind to use him as a mass debuffer. I think it makes sense considering that his Domain is Chaos/Destruction.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
The main problem with Harrim is his low charisma which is critical for channel positive energy (easily best overall heal in the game) and this most likely results into more camping (cure wound spells are kinda bad / high variance in healing amounts and not really usable in combat like channel). 14 Strength is wasted on him since putting him on melee range is not a good idea and capacity to use heavy armor dont really matter much. On the other hand Tristian is superior at healing / being a cleric but as a character he is the worst from all companions so for all companion party he is still better choice.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/640820/discussions/5/1734340257883458746/?l=finnish

Reinhardt

Arcane
Hired fire and healing heavy armored cleric girl on lvl 1 so i don't care about Tristian.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
The main problem with Harrim is his low charisma which is critical for channel positive energy
Phylactery +2d6
Band of Charisma
Extra Channeling feat
Happy heals.

Im not arguing that you cannot make Harrim into a decent healer but his 10 charisma score is his biggest weakness considering wisdom and charisma are the most important stats for cleric. With + 6 charisma band and extra channeling feat he is at same level as Tristian without gear. Also considering those same items with Tristian heals are even much more happier. I had biggest problems with healing at the start of the game (hard) when money was very limited and charisma gear + phylactery was not available (ghost guy dropped this I think at witch swamp so its quite early). Chapter 3+ money is not a problem to buy all the potions and scrolls so middle / late game its more about buffs / removing debuffs and debuffing enemy and I dont think there is a big difference between Tristian and Harrim regarding those areas.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Don't take damage, and you won't need heals.

Or just take another character who can heal and support party like Linzi.

Harrim is totally fine, my first playthrough was with him, never even had Tristian in my party cause heals is all he can do (plus 1 fireball).

Dorf in heavy armor with 2-handed weapon with reach and later with Javelin +2 and shield = peltastbrodwarf

Reinhardt

Arcane
First time i was running with Jaethal and Linzi up until troll keep. And even that was not from the start - both Jaethal and Harrim left with Tartuccio, so only Linzi until Tomb.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Can anyone tell me how sneak attacks work in this game? Is flanking the only requirement? What if you're under the effect of greater invisibility? Do all attacks get the bonus damage or just the first one? What if you're a spellcaster? Does it apply to melee and ranged touch spells? If so, how do spells like Scorching Ray work? Do you get a sneak attack bonus on each ray or just the first one that hits?
Great Invis. allows you to sneak attack as long as it lasts, provided enemies don't have something like true sight.
All attacks get the sneak attack bonus including shield bash, nice when dual wielding.
Spell casting is kinda weird, I'm not sure it's supposed to apply but a 1 vivisectionist/9 eldritch archer/10 arcane trickster using Scorching Ray does sneak attack on with each ray AND the bow attack. Dunno if AoE spells apply sneak attacks.

The game applies sneak attack for ranged touch spells, which is why it works for scorching ray. AOE spells will not get sneak attack.
Does the Arcane Trickster stance apply Sneak Attack to your AoEs?

My AT isn't level 10 yet, but it looks like they did implement surprise spell, so assuming it's working... I'd say yes. That should only apply to flat-footed though, whereas sneak attack on ranged touch spells applies to flanked as well.
Still though, sneaking up on a mob and dropping a Fireball for 10d6 Fire + 7d6 Sneak Attack to each seems really awesome.

Sheepherder

Augur
Can anyone tell me how sneak attacks work in this game? Is flanking the only requirement? What if you're under the effect of greater invisibility? Do all attacks get the bonus damage or just the first one? What if you're a spellcaster? Does it apply to melee and ranged touch spells? If so, how do spells like Scorching Ray work? Do you get a sneak attack bonus on each ray or just the first one that hits?
Great Invis. allows you to sneak attack as long as it lasts, provided enemies don't have something like true sight.
All attacks get the sneak attack bonus including shield bash, nice when dual wielding.
Spell casting is kinda weird, I'm not sure it's supposed to apply but a 1 vivisectionist/9 eldritch archer/10 arcane trickster using Scorching Ray does sneak attack on with each ray AND the bow attack. Dunno if AoE spells apply sneak attacks.

The game applies sneak attack for ranged touch spells, which is why it works for scorching ray. AOE spells will not get sneak attack.
Does the Arcane Trickster stance apply Sneak Attack to your AoEs?

My AT isn't level 10 yet, but it looks like they did implement surprise spell, so assuming it's working... I'd say yes. That should only apply to flat-footed though, whereas sneak attack on ranged touch spells applies to flanked as well.
Still though, sneaking up on a mob and dropping a Fireball for 10d6 Fire + 7d6 Sneak Attack to each seems really awesome.

Make it 10d6 SA. Eldritch archer gets Sens Vitals which adds +5d6 SA damage. Though it comes late in the game.

Sykar

Arcane
:what:

Trigger warning.

EF500ABB11AAA07305E75F68DBA5BCDEA443CD1A

Edit: Harrim would be a shitty Ranger with his 8 Dex.

Great character portrait, is that one already present in Pathfinder or is it a custom one?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom