Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

Lambach

Arcane
Frankly some spells seems pretty OP to me (hint: Greater Shout).

Nah, that would be Sirocco. On my current playthrough, I'll buy myself a mercenary Wizard that will be built solely around that spell once I hit level 11. Sick, sick stuff and only a small handful of enemies are completely immune to it.

panda

Savant
The flanking is wrong too, but maybe an acceptable compromise for a real time computer game.
Nah, Alkali gloves is not about flanking. It is about plain doubling your sneak attack damage. You deal +7d6? Equip alkali gloves and suddenly you have +15d6.

It is a level 8 spell. By that level, I can get *wishes* from trapped genies and teleport around the world map. There is nothing OP about a limited stun and damage.
There is a specialized stun spell called Power Word Stun. Now compare it to Greater Shout. Yeah, nothing OP at all.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've recently found a pair of gloves which add d6 acid damage each time a character strikes someone in melee. The bonus damage is added separately from the attack, thus allowing classes with sneak attack to add SA to the acid damage. As a result everything fucking melts. I'm not sure SA is supposed to work like this.
I've got two chars with opportunist and outflank, both using high crit range weapons. Monsters die as soon as I click them.

Sneak attack damage normally gets added to each attack, not each source of bonus damage. That does indeed sound wrong.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, the sneak attack implementation, particularly the multi sneak attack from rays or certain weapons/items with bonus damage dice, is really sad. Even sadder when some people try to argue its okay.

The flanking is wrong too, but maybe an acceptable compromise for a real time computer game. Though I think ranged sneaks are way too easy indeed.
Not many people (contrary to what has been suggested) would argue here that the idiocy of sneak attack damage applying independently to almost every possible damage roll is "ok". There are some retards on Steam defending the sneak damage applying to each ray when casting ray spells but those damage rolls from items is another story. This shit is clearly broken, even more so than ray spells.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Enchantment is a school which works 90% of 50% of the time.

Better than being a Diviner though. That one is like a scoped gun with no bullets.

Parabalus

Arcane
Enchantment is a school which works 90% of 50% of the time.

Better than being a Diviner though. That one is like a scoped gun with no bullets.

Diviner player right is the worst campaign breaker in any game I run. Diviners are about meta. Any *any* wizard played right is a god. Conjurers and Transmuters are simply easier to play right.

It's nice to see that Owlcat succeeded where Sawyer failed and gave non-wizard classes some rightful legitimacy power-wise.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Yeah, the sneak attack implementation, particularly the multi sneak attack from rays or certain weapons/items with bonus damage dice, is really sad. Even sadder when some people try to argue its okay.

The flanking is wrong too, but maybe an acceptable compromise for a real time computer game. Though I think ranged sneaks are way too easy indeed.
I think Sneak Attack is being added to any bonus dice, like the extra 1d6 from Arcane Enforcer or the extra 2d6 from Endless War, which is wrong and I doubt it is intentional. The only bonus dice that don't trigger SA are elemental enchants, as far as I can tell.

Multi-Sneak Attack is also wrong and should be fixed, I don't know if it was intended or not but it is definitely wrong implementation.

Greater Shout seems intended because there is no "Deafened" condition in the game, but making it auto-stun even on a successful save was a bad choice by the designers and should be changed to Fatigued or Dazed or something on a successful save.

Flanking is OK for melee I think, positioning is so finicky otherwise. It also helps give a reason to go melee with teamwork feats, since ranged combat is inherently better in most ways.

I think flanking in melee would work better if the character that is engaged by the opponent can't flank that opponent. That way if a rogue is trying to shank you, you could focus on him alone to negate his flank / sneak attack. And the AI could be taught the same, turn on the rogue if he is doing too much hurt instead of futility flailing at the tank that is not doing anything.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
I think flanking in melee would work better if the character that is engaged by the opponent can't flank that opponent. That way if a rogue is trying to shank you, you could focus on him alone to negate his flank / sneak attack. And the AI could be taught the same, turn on the rogue if he is doing too much hurt instead of futility flailing at the tank that is not doing anything.
Yes, that would be a fine compromise I think. It'd give you some incentive to have more melee guys without being too finicky or giving the enemies a leg up on the players (since it is easier for enemies to spawn behind you than it is for you to sneak behind them).

ArchAngel

Arcane
Hot take: the current implementation of Greater Shout is good because by the time you get 8th level spells the encounter design is such hot garbage that you need something utterly broken to continue with the game without wanting to off yourself :M
You didn't get the memo, you just pick up Blind Fighting with all your warrior types and they are immune to Gaze attacks and that makes Wild Hunt much easier to deal with.

Cael

Arcane
It is about the "builds" and mechanics too. Diviner's best spells simply are not there in the game and have no implemented consequence. I would for once like to see a game where information gathering via magic actually has a role.
Diviners only have 1 opposed school. That is one of the reasons why it is so popular. You always have 1 divination spell prepared anyway, from things like Detect Magic all the way up to Premonition. There is little drawback if you chose your opposed school properly.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You didn't get the memo, you just pick up Blind Fighting with all your warrior types and they are immune to Gaze attacks and that makes Wild Hunt much easier to deal with.
Well I didn't get whatever memo you're talking about but I already have Blind Fighting on my warriors and doesn't their gaze just paralyze anyways? Buddy if you think I'm not casting Freedom of Movement on everybody in my party as the first thing after each rest you are a silly person.

bataille

Arcane
Is there any reason to keep levelling up as a fighter archer after 13th level? I've tried to think of a reason, but it keeps eluding me; so far it seems that after 13th it's a straight way to vivisec 1 and rogue the rest...

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Is there any reason to keep levelling up as a fighter archer after 13th level? I've tried to think of a reason, but it keeps eluding me; so far it seems that after 13th it's a straight way to vivisec 1 and rogue the rest...
No, not really and you are correct. Except another level of weapon training on level 17 (iirc) but you might not even get there before the end game and it's not worth it anyway. Going vivi or rogue or both is probably the best option at this point. Or perhaps even ranger - to pick favored enemy Fey or something.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Well I didn't get whatever memo you're talking about but I already have Blind Fighting on my warriors and doesn't their gaze just paralyze anyways? Buddy if you think I'm not casting Freedom of Movement on everybody in my party as the first thing after each rest you are a silly person.
The memo is that this change to blind fighting is coming in patch 1.1. You can join the beta and get it today.

Andnjord

Arcane
I've recently found a pair of gloves which add d6 acid damage each time a character strikes someone in melee. The bonus damage is added separately from the attack, thus allowing classes with sneak attack to add SA to the acid damage. As a result everything fucking melts. I'm not sure SA is supposed to work like this.
I've got two chars with opportunist and outflank, both using high crit range weapons. Monsters die as soon as I click them.
As I've mentioned it before, wait until you give these gloves and the +5 greatsword (who has a similar behaviour) to a paladin. Now your Smite Evil damage bonus applies THREE times per strike.

Ent

Savant
Anyone else getting a bug were Sword saints have proficiency with all martial weapons?

Sykar

Arcane
It is about the "builds" and mechanics too. Diviner's best spells simply are not there in the game and have no implemented consequence. I would for once like to see a game where information gathering via magic actually has a role.
Diviners only have 1 opposed school. That is one of the reasons why it is so popular. You always have 1 divination spell prepared anyway, from things like Detect Magic all the way up to Premonition. There is little drawback if you chose your opposed school properly.

That and they have quite good class features. I am pleased to see that diviners finally are actually worth having unlike in previous games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom