Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker Builds and Strats Thread

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
All right, +1 crit multiplier on an 18-20 +3 reach weapon? Or +5 CMB with regular damage combined with combat maneuvers? Okay, sold.
Damn, how to fit Exotic weapon prof. in my (already tight) build. Oh well, I'll worry when I manage to get a hold of one of those babies.

vazha

Arcane
and the third one has necrotic damage.
Upd as for how to fit it in, depends on your class and suppose. if you re of a weapon enchanting type, you can always forego an improved crit feat and enchant your weapon as keen.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Well, sure, its for me to worry about. Kinda don't want to skip Imp. Crit., as it is a prerequisite for Seize the Moment. Would be particularly nice with a 15-20 x3 weapon... although I care more about Jaethal or Nok-Nok generating criting with "15-20" and generating additional attacks for me.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dual wielding strength based build, you can select dex dual wielding feats by wearing a dex belt (so 11-12 dex is enough I think, though you made need more depending on when spells/items boosting dex are available).

This is a bug. After the new patch, items and spells won’t help you qualify for feats anymore.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Dual wielding strength based build, you can select dex dual wielding feats by wearing a dex belt (so 11-12 dex is enough I think, though you made need more depending on when spells/items boosting dex are available).

This is a bug. After the new patch, items and spells won’t help you qualify for feats anymore.
rating_citation.png

Doubly so because items DO work like that in pnp Pathfinder, you can qualify to say a DEX or STR requiring feat by wearing belt of +DEX or +STR. Spells on the other hand don't allow it, it needs to be a permanent effect AFAIK. It would be strange if Owlcat moved away from how things work in pnp in a patch. Not impossible, mind you but I'd like to see a quote. Is it in the 1.1 beta patch notes somewhere?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Reach weapons are best for 2handed builds or can they work with standard 2feet 2handers?
Glaive and Fauchard are both really good.
Standard 2h builds are good with a bite attack (from Rage powers or a Feral Mutagen) and the Winter Wolf cloak that causes knockdown on a hit with a bite, and there are some terrific Greataxes, good Greatswords, and an artisan Masterpiece Earth Breaker.
I tried to take bite with Amiri, and use that cloak, she didn't get a CMB roll to try to trip enemies so I assumed it is all broken (also the cloak that added cold damage to bite attacks did nothing).
That's a shame. Her bite attack triggered, though?
I watched the combat log. She did a bite attack, and it hit. Enemy was not killed by that bite. After that the trip didn't happen.

ArchAngel

Arcane

rating_citation.png

Doubly so because items DO work like that in pnp Pathfinder, you can qualify to say a DEX or STR requiring feat by wearing belt of +DEX or +STR. Spells on the other hand don't allow it, it needs to be a permanent effect AFAIK. It would be strange if Owlcat moved away from how things work in pnp in a patch. Not impossible, mind you but I'd like to see a quote. Is it in the 1.1 beta patch notes somewhere?
OK, but in PnP when you lose the Dex bonus you also lose access to the feat. This game does not have that so they went for next best thing, not allowing you to take feats in the first place.

Serus

Arcane
Patron

rating_citation.png

OK, but in PnP when you lose the Dex bonus you also lose access to the feat. This game does not have that so they went for next best thing, not allowing you to take feats in the first place.
Makes sense though it could be argued that a better idea would be to make "deactivation" of feats that no longer meet the prerequisites work properly if it din't already. However all that is a topic for another discussion. The question I have is: "where?" Where and when did Owlcat change it? I can't find it in 1.1 beta patch notes. Did I miss it in one of the earlier hotfixes?

Efe

Erudite
looks terrible honestly, heightening a lv3 spell to lv7-8-9 slots, is that for real?
also i liked the part where he thought his dog summon would buy him some time and it went down in 1 hit under 3 seconds.

Yosharian

Arcane

Woah. This is a big change. Do you have an official source on this?

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

maybe I'm losing my mind. I thought I saw it in their beta patch notes, but I can't find it again.

Yosharian

Arcane

maybe I'm losing my mind. I thought I saw it in their beta patch notes, but I can't find it again.
Hmm.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
and the third one has necrotic damage.
Upd as for how to fit it in, depends on your class and suppose. if you re of a weapon enchanting type, you can always forego an improved crit feat and enchant your weapon as keen.

Okay, I've built her workshop, about to start her quests. Should I tell her something specific to increase the chance of getting a Fauchard (instead of a Kama for example)?

I think I will skip Preserve Organs -> Mummification to get Fauchard proficiency + earlier access to some other feats (and also will skip the second Fighter level down the line). Cold, Paralysis and Sleep immunities & partial Crit resistance would be kinda cool, but eh... there are element resist spells and Freedom of Movement. Think most sleep effects are HD limited? Though there might be one higher version.

Btw. Crane Wing/Riposte seems to no longer work if you don't have a free hand.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
+1 damage? If I can get the Artisan to deliver her Fauchards, I'll have a +3 +1d6 Acid 15-20 x3 (with Improved Crit or Keen) weapon instead of +2 +1d6 Fire 19-20 x3 (with Improved Crit or Keen). Alternatively +3 +2d8 Negative (with Animate Dead as a bonus).

But for my Trip build, her mastery Fauchard is the real Holy Grail - if I can get her to make it. +5, +5 CMB (!), regular hits along with successful combat maneuvers (!) plus permanent FoM (partially compensates loss of Mummification) and Trip + Bullrush immunity.

Sure, the unique holy ultrasonic Glaive is also very nice. But nowhere near as nice for a combat maneuver build.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
+1 damage? If I can get the Artisan to deliver her Fauchards, I'll have a +3 +1d6 Acid 15-20 x3 (with Improved Crit or Keen) weapon instead of +2 +1d6 Fire 19-20 x3 (with Improved Crit or Keen). Alternatively +3 +2d8 Negative (with Animate Dead as a bonus).

But for my Trip build, her mastery Fauchard is the real Holy Grail - if I can get her to make it. +5, +5 CMB (!), regular hits along with successful combat maneuvers (!) plus permanent FoM (partially compensates loss of Mummification) and Trip + Bullrush immunity.

Sure, the unique Glaive is also nice. But nowhere near as nice for a combat maneuver build.
I mean it's only +1 average damage compared to an equivalent weapon that you don't need to spend a feat on.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
It's not about the base damage dice (actually Glaive has the same d10). It's about the crit profile (18-20/x2 base) and unique properties (such as +1 crit multiplier and others listed above, particularly the masterwork properties for a combat maneuver build).

Yosharian

Arcane
It's not about the base damage dice (actually Glaive has the same d10). It's about the crit profile (18-20/x2 base) and unique properties (such as +1 crit multiplier and others listed above, particularly the masterwork properties for a combat maneuver build).
Alright, I'll give you that.

Gregz

Arcane

Sure, the unique Glaive is also very nice. But nowhere near as nice for a combat maneuver build.

Not bad, can you automate trip attack? I.e. how much micro does this require?

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
So, how does this build look for a Str Magus in the beta? Not sure if I should bother with Exotic Weapon Prof for Bloodhound, or use Bear God Scimitar or the Masterpiece Longsword (even though it won't crit as much).

L1. Combat Casting, Dodge (Human Bonus)

L3. Power Attack

L5. Improved Unarmed Strike, Crane Style (Bonus)

L7. Outflank

L9. Crane Wing

L11. Crane Riposte, Combat Reflexes

L13. Spell Penetration

L15. Blindfight (now that it protects from Gazes it's much more useful, maybe invaluable for endgame)

L17. Greater Spell Pen, Exotic Weapon Prof: Dueling Sword for Bloodhound?

I know I could get Crane Style easier with a Monk level, but I sort of want to push through for armor proficiencies and spell progression even though I'll end up a little bit feat-starved.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Make sure that Crane Wing and Crane Riposte actually still work with Spell Combat (which should count as dual-wielding). They seem to be fixed to no longer work with sword & board.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom