Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sykar

Arcane
I don't agree that it's a waste of time, but I worry that, like every other dev that starts on PC, eventually they will abandon us in favour of lucrative brainless console garbage.

See: Bethesda

This is a response to you and the other couple of people who seem to disagree with the statement.

This game not only clearly does not belong on consoles because of the way it controls, but because of it's problems with performance it has even on the beefiest systems on the platform it was made for. Not to mention it will not appeal to the general casual taste of said console owners.

It's a waste of time and resources because it's going to sell like shit on consoles, and if the game had a troubled reception on PC because of things like complexity and difficulty, I can't imagine the outrage those few who buy it on consoles will express. It will serve to further drag the title through the critical mud and cause the publisher to apply pressure on Owlcat to alter things that are going to lead to an overall decline of quality. Either way it shakes out, it's going to deviate the focused strength of the developer.

It really surprises me how some folks around here can't recognize how this will play out given observable patterns in the industry in the past. I don't think it'll destroy Owlcat or anything, but there is no doubt in my mind that it will be a detriment in some way to the spirit of the qualities we appreciate in the developer here.

Almost any game ported to consoles resulted in major decline in some way or another. Think Witcher 3 and the massive graphics downgrade just to get consoles handle it.

Edit:
the-witcher-3-comparison-2013-vs-2015-build-screen-1_480x541.png

the-witcher-3-comparison-2013-vs-2015-build-screen-2_480x768.jpg

the-witcher-3-comparison-2013-vs-2015-build-screen-5_480x526.png

the-witcher-3-comparison-2013-vs-2015-build-screen-6_480x534.jpg

the-witcher-3-comparison-2013-vs-2015-build-screen-7_480x540.png

Last edited:

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
So, where the hell is Blakemoor mansion, in Pitax?

IIRC Blakemoor is not within Pitax, it's in "middle of no where", although I think I found the copy of Grigmoire somewhere in Pitax.
Yeah, he is there. You can open the door with a high DC skill check, or get the key from the pirates.
I think I got 2 copies of the Grimoire off
Irovetti's corpse
which I'm quite sure is a bug.

purpleblob

Savant
I think I used my trickery skill to unlock the magical door :P

But you can solve the pirate quest without the grigmoire if you have high enough persuasion skill (this is what I did)

Codex Year of the Donut
I don't agree that it's a waste of time, but I worry that, like every other dev that starts on PC, eventually they will abandon us in favour of lucrative brainless console garbage.

This is a response to you and the other couple of people who seem to disagree with the statement.

This game not only clearly does not belong on consoles because of the way it controls, but because of it's problems with performance it has even on the beefiest systems on the platform it was made for. Not to mention it will not appeal to the general casual taste of said console owners.

It's a waste of time and resources because it's going to sell like shit on consoles, and if the game had a troubled reception on PC because of things like complexity and difficulty, I can't imagine the outrage those few who buy it on consoles will express. It will serve to further drag the title through the critical mud and cause the publisher to apply pressure on Owlcat to alter things that are going to lead to an overall decline of quality. Either way it shakes out, it's going to deviate the focused strength of the developer.

It really surprises me how some folks around here can't recognize how this will play out given observable patterns in the industry in the past. I don't think it'll destroy Owlcat or anything, but there is no doubt in my mind that it will be a detriment in some way to the spirit of the qualities we appreciate in the developer here.

Almost any game ported to consoles resulted in major decline in some way or another. Think Witcher 3 and the massive graphics downgrade just to get consoles handle it.
...and a major portion of their sales came from consoles.

Maybe if PC users bought more games there would be no need for porting to consoles.

purpleblob

Savant
Lol, are you fucking serious? And how much exactly do we (PC gamers) need to spend to satisfy greedy publishers in order to stop them porting games to console?

Sykar

Arcane

Maybe if PC users bought more games there would be no need for porting to consoles.

You got that backwards. If console peasants weren't such lazy fucktards and stopped wasting money on hardware which is obsolete within the first year or two and bought a fully up-gradable PC instead we would not have this problem. What is more the business practices of shit stains like Sony and Microsoft where you pay for every little service which would be free for PC makes consoles on fact more expensive than PCs. Lastly you can build comparable or even a better performing PCs for similar money

Last edited:

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
PFKM got 81/100 and 8/10 in two finnish gaming magazines, and on the first one they put that it's traditional rpg with deep gameplay as good and that it's buggy as bad. On another magazine they didn't have the summary box. Didn't read the reviews themselves as I just checked them out in the store. Afaik the reviewers for at least the first magazine are 'real' gamers so they actually understand about the gameplay, and not the usual retards of the gaming sites.

cw8

Cipher
Wonder how it will do on consoles. The PC players are already complaining about missing all the time in combat, swarms are invulnerable and that trolls not dying when they didn't use flame or acid because it's bugged. And then you have 100+ spells that I can imagine it will be a nightmare to select a spell every fight with a controller. They'll probably throw their consoles or their game discs out their windows.

You can improve his modifier via projects, it will cost you some BP but you can get the NPCs to be as good or better than your party members.
If you mean Curator, Linzi or Jaethal can take over that.
True. I'll have to stick him in there. I do mean curator, so Linzi or Jaethal will probably be alright. I don't even remember why I went Storyteller for it, I probably liked the sound of his blurb for the job more than theirs.

On an unrelated note, either the loading times are slightly better after the 1.1 patch or the bad loading times were amplified in my memory in the time away from the game, 'cause it doesn't seem quite as bad as I remembered. It's still enough to be annoying as shit, especially when you're dealing with the kingdom and your throneroom, but it feels a smidge better. I do hope they keep working on it.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
PFKM got 81/100 and 8/10 in two finnish gaming magazines, and on the first one they put that it's traditional rpg with deep gameplay as good and that it's buggy as bad. On another magazine they didn't have the summary box. Didn't read the reviews themselves as I just checked them out in the store. Afaik the reviewers for at least the first magazine are 'real' gamers so they actually understand about the gameplay, and not the usual retards of the gaming sites.

They gave 81/100 to BT4. They be retards.

Codex Year of the Donut

You got that backwards. If console peasants weren't such lazy fucktards and stopped wasting money on hardware which is obsolete within the first year or two and bought a fully up-gradable PC instead we would not have this problem. What is more the business practices of shit stains like Sony and Microsoft where you pay for every little service which would be free for PC makes consoles on fact more expensive than PCs. Lastly you can build comparable or even a better performing PCs for similar money
You failed to address that Witcher 3 made more profit from consoles sales than PC sales.

Why should they care about PC first when it's not even where they made most of their money?

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
You can improve his modifier via projects, it will cost you some BP but you can get the NPCs to be as good or better than your party members.
If you mean Curator, Linzi or Jaethal can take over that.
True. I'll have to stick him in there. I do mean curator, so Linzi or Jaethal will probably be alright. I don't even remember why I went Storyteller for it, I probably liked the sound of his blurb for the job more than theirs.

On an unrelated note, either the loading times are slightly better after the 1.1 patch or the bad loading times were amplified in my memory in the time away from the game, 'cause it doesn't seem quite as bad as I remembered. It's still enough to be annoying as shit, especially when you're dealing with the kingdom and your throneroom, but it feels a smidge better. I do hope they keep working on it.
The initial loading is significantly faster. The load times seem faster to me as well, but I'm not late enough in the game to tell if it's just because early game loads faster. I've also been using the Cleaner mod which clears junk and corpses from cleared maps, so that can't hurt.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

WTF? Really? Pelit has really gone downhill since I read it last time 7-8 years ago, and it was already much worse than it was on its heyday during the early-mid 90s.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

WTF? Really? Pelit has really gone downhill since I read it last time 7-8 years ago, and it was already much worse than it was on its heyday during the early-mid 90s.

In the same mag Valkyria Chronicles 4 got 93, DO2 (PS4) got 93.

BT4 review was written by NNIrvi. He also had a column on rpg mechanics that was p. codexian autist.

I mean the reviews themselves are sort of O.K. ('cept the PK review has at least one factual error, the reviewer didn't figure out how XP sharing works) but the scoring is bonkers. Weaboo herpaderp scores 90+ whilst western cRPGs rarely reach that.

Cael

Arcane

In the same mag Valkyria Chronicles 4 got 93, DO2 (PS4) got 93.

BT4 review was written by NNIrvi. He also had a column on rpg mechanics that was p. codexian autist.

I mean the reviews themselves are sort of O.K. ('cept the PK review has at least one factual error, the reviewer didn't figure out how XP sharing works) but the scoring is bonkers. Weaboo herpaderp scores 90+ whilst western cRPGs rarely reach that.
That is because the mainlanders are skilled in the whole "What do you want to rate us higher? A bevy of beautiful Chinese girls to suck you off? *snaps fingers* Here you go." While the westerners are like "Look, man, it gotz feeeeeee-chures!" And Russian ones are like "Bugs! Bugs eeeeeeverywhere!!!"

Yosharian

Arcane
To be fair the XP sharing system makes no fucking sense at all from an intuitive perspective

Reinhardt

Arcane
"Fanservice" is already more than most wrpgs bring to the table.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom