Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Terra

Cipher
I liked Wildcards as it added companions and associated questlines that integrated pretty seamlessly with main campaign, with a side story that unfolded over the course of the game. I honestly don't care to penny pinch over the perceived value of said dlc in this instance; the game was a steal at the lowest digital tier via kickstarter anyway, so I had no qualms throwing the dev team a bit more money after they'd proven capable of actually delivering a quality successor to the classics.

Varnhold dlc was ok, let down a bit due to Varn's voice actor changing so he sounded a bit :codexisfor:. I also did not care for the rest of the party comprising oh personality-less player created mercs, which made me want to speed through the mini campaign. If they take a similar merc-focused approach for any dlcs I probably won't be interested.

Didn't care about the dungeon dlc, may give it a look on a future replay.

The survey didn't mention PoE2's Forgotten Sanctum dlc, but did mention some weird shitty ship dlc. Weird... Pillars 2's dlcs ended up being alright, it was just that by the time I finished the base game I'd had my fill of it and I had to come back to them a few months down the line. As was mentioned, Pillars 1's White March was a great improvement on the base game but is unfortunately tied into what is quite a dull main campaign.

Would probably prefer a post-campaign expac/mini-expansion like Throne of Bhaal tbh, that furthers/continues the story of the original cast. The survey seemed quite fixated on a new set of characters though so I imagine plans are already in place to go down that road.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Kingmaker is already massive which (imo) makes Wildcards and Varnholdt (Haven't played it yet, but the point still stands, especially having to make another character) feel unnecessary, the Rogue-Dungeon had an awesome final boss but that was the only redeemable part about it. Dungeon wasn't that interesting either (Main Campaign).

Pitax especially should have been fixed and completed with DLC.

Sykar

Arcane
I wouldn't say the waifu twins are seamlessly implemented. She butts in more than the others and even if I didn't know she's an extra DLC character I would've noticed there's something off about her. She's also kind of there? Nobody acknowledges her existence. In the prologue I mean, no idea about after that.

Are you stupid? No one knows her yet, she interjects in the opening dialogue, has a dialogue with you where Linzi interjects and when she has switched later and does not want to take sides Linzi literally called her out on it. Are you sure you have even played the DLC?
The problem is that she interjects like nobody else in the prologue. With some random comments nobody acknowledges.

Where exactly was someone to "acknowledge" anything?What does that dumb shit even mean? What utter empty drivel. By the same token no one "acknowledges" what Harrim, Amiri or Jaethal say during that same dialogue. You meet Amiri, Jaethal and Harrim during the prologue and have roughly the same amount of dialogue with some interjection with Jaethal giving you a huge exposition dump. You really like making shit up, do you? The only character who gets little presence and dialogue in the prologue is Valerie.
Oh and both Linzi and Tartuccio have more dialogue than any of the other NPCs but I am sure that means something.
:deathclaw:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
By referring to what she said and responding specifically to her. Everyone else acknowledge each other's existence and have some banter. Waifu twins are just there, say a few lines nobody bats an eye at and she's gone. She's also too present, nobody is like her. I don't know what else to tell you, she definitely doesn't feel seamlessly integrated to me.

Sykar

Arcane
By referring to what she said and responding specifically to her. Everyone else acknowledge each other's existence and have some banter. Waifu twins are just there, say a few lines nobody bats an eye at and she's gone. She's also too present, nobody is like her. I don't know what else to tell you, she definitely doesn't feel seamlessly integrated to me.

Jaethal akcnowledges no one or is acknowledged by anyone same for Harrim and Valerie I guess they do not fit "seamlessly" either. The only characters who do that are the PC, Tartuccio, Amiri and Linzi for obvious reasons. I do not give a rats ass about your feelings, the fact is that you are dead wrong.
What does that indicate? That these characters have different levels of recognition, nothing else. You really like to make dumb shit up for shits and giggles.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Lacrymas is misremembering things.

va3S7HI.png

Frankly I'm glad I don't share a waifu with him though. :M

Trashos

Arcane
The dlc companion interjects a bit too much in the prologue. It is like a constant advertisement "Do not forget to buy my dlc". Anyway, I am not happy with the dialogues in the prologue in general, so whatever.

Sykar

Arcane
The dlc companion interjects a bit too much in the prologue. It is like a constant advertisement "Do not forget to buy my dlc". Anyway, I am not happy with the dialogues in the prologue in general, so whatever.

The one who interjects the most is Linzi, and Tartuccio for that matter. Guess they are not integrated seamlessely either.

:deathclaw:

Trashos

Arcane
I did say that I am not happy with the dialogue in the prologue. Kingmaker has a lot of subtlety, but not always, and definitely not in the prologue.

Linzi had to be introduced thoroughly, so that the player could understand what is going on with the journal. So there is that.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
So...

"The $6 DLC Wildcards starts abruptly in Jamandi mansion. The new companion is clumsily presented to the player, and trudges along the main story in fits and starts."

It looks like a quote from some game jorno. May be Lacrymas is a smurf of some hack at IGN?

Sykar

Arcane
I did say that I am not happy with the dialogue in the prologue. Kingmaker has a lot of subtlety, but not always, and definitely not in the prologue.

Linzi had to be introduced thoroughly, so that the player could understand what is going on with the journal. So there is that.

Subtlety is not really something that is indicative of quality.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
KM prologue and the extent of your interaction with the first batch of Prologue companionw are:

1. Their character introduction "blurb" dialogue during Jamandi's speech and Q&A section. So long you click everything, everybody got a blurb here. Linz and Tartucioi get more content to setup their role in the story.

2. Introduction to the character again after the attack started. Linzi woke you up to save Tartucio. Tartucio getting "saved". Amiri doing barbarian stuff. Jaethal "I am undead no question allrite." Twins introduction scene. Harrim being a whinny doomposter. The burning room story sequence for Valerie.

3. Post attack alignment-based choice for Jaethal/Linzi and Harrim/Valerie. Amiri joining you. The Twins refusing to join you. Even if we are being nitpicky, yeah the Twins has 2 more lines (The Twin saying she doesn't know you and Linzi's reply to her) but then I would nitpick that the initial introduction scene is for Kannerah and the one at the end of Aldori mansion doubles as Kallike's introduction (and setup the twist).

4. Lizni/Tartucio bickering the whole way.

While certainly there a relatively slight more content for the Twins in Prologue (like 2 short lines worth?) in terms of content saying that it is not seamlessly added/that the Twins stick like a sore thumb feels strange.

Last edited:
The additional content in the NWN 1 & 2 games were expansions. They had distinct campaigns with some content (spells/class/abilities) that could be used in (improve) the base game. That's what we want and developers know it.

When they ask about DLCs, they're investigating how close to horse armor they can get without taking flak for it.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The additional content in the NWN 1 & 2 games were expansions. They had distinct campaigns with some content (spells/class/abilities) that could be used in (improve) the base game. That's what we want and developers know it.

When they ask about DLCs, they're investigating how close to horse armor they can get without taking flak for it.

OwlCat DLC's are far from "horse armor", the Kineticist DLC adds a fully new class with a lot of unique mechanics like Burn, non lethal damage, gather power, combos and etc.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Varnhold's Lot mini story I think lasts about 6 - 10 hours on the first playthrough? I don't really remember the exact time. Certainly possible to finish in "1 sitting" of long weekend gaming session tho.

Imagine that instead of being dropped after you get the barony, it is expanded into 3 chapters of 8 horus each. 1. Getting Varnhold (parallel with Stag Lord in KM base story) 2. Initial setting up of the barony (the first half of Varnhold's Lot which is basically you facing with local problem, e.g. the Centaurs along with setting up for final confrontation) 3. Expanding 2nd half of Varnhold's Lot regarding the whoe cyclopsian disaster alongside the Latern King role in the past in the region. Add more investigation and plot points. Keep the id, ego, superego dynamic of Varnhodl Trio.

While certainly not something of the scope of the base campaign that last probably 100+ hours, these kind episodic modules, if they total to 20 - 30 hours of content is probably a good model for DLC. People who buy this PnP adaptation know what they are getting system-wise, and evidently between KM and WoR KS, Owlcat already has a good following (due to PnP adaptation niche that is not banality that is 5e) and this kind of business model be work. Of course it depends on the quality the content. Saturation also is a factor I guess.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Varnhold's Lot mini story I think lasts about 6 - 10 hours on the first playthrough?

6~10 hours is far bigger than most US$60,00 AAA games, except multi player ones.

I an not against then selling more content on DLC. I would pay for more mythic paths. Just imagine the options
  • Marrid mythic path
  • Vampire Lord mythic path
  • Efreet mythic path
  • Great Old One mythic path
  • (...)
So many cool things that they can add.

Trashos

Arcane
Subtlety is not really something that is indicative of quality.

It usually is, actually, because the opposite is "dumbing down to retards' level so that everyone can understand". We have seen this and its horrible effect again and again in many RPGs, for example PoE (as Fenstermaker admitted himself when he came here).

I will leave it at this. Writers know what I am talking about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom