Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

1eyedking Rift / Vive / VR General

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Jigawatt, Jun 21, 2016.

1. Alexander DeLarge Learned

Alexander DeLarge
    The standalone headset confuses me. Is it going to be standalone running Viveport, will it have Steam compatibility and also what the hell are those controllers? Knuckles? I thought those required lighthouse and that's embedded.

This is going to be a cluster fuck if people are buying Vives thinking it's "Valve's headset" when actually it's just HTC's brand. Valve needed some sort of SteamVR branding from the start.

^ Top  
  2. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Serpent in the Staglands Wasteland 2
    I might get the Vive Pro if there's a wee price drop on it with the Pro Eye release. To my knowledge nobody is doing anything interesting with eye-tracking yet (I know it's an important part of the VR/Foveated Rendering puzzle in the long term) and I just want the resolution bump. AFAIK there's nothing else to the new Pro -

^ Top  
  3. Dexter Arcane

Dexter

• Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 2
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Dexter Arcane

Dexter

[​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. anvi Liturgist Village Idiot

anvi
    I'm really looking forward to an amazing VR experience, in about 15-20 years.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    Did Resident Evil 7 ever get a VR mode on PC? There's a tradition of VR games getting 1 year exclusivity to Playstation VR (with the devs refusing to comment on PC versions and then randomly releasing them on steam out of the blue), but last I checked it was still only on PS4 Pro.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Ed123 Arcane Patron

Ed123
    I read some positive reviews of the PSVR version, which said it was pretty ugly but felt very immersive. I'm not really very interested in 7 so I'm willing to experience it in a "gimmick" mode just for the sake of it. If there's no sign of a PC VR mode within the next couple of weeks I'll probably just play the regular version though.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Slam dunk! Slam dunk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. TZ3K Arcane

TZ3K

• Funny Funny x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Dexter Arcane

Dexter

[​IMG]

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Dexter Arcane

Dexter

Expect more VR news in the hardware and possibly software department at the upcoming GDC!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    HTC has announced... finger tracking for their Vive/Pro and Vice Focus:

HP announced the "HP Reverb" for $600, the first "4K" VR HMD: https://www.roadtovr.com/hp-reverb-vr-headset-announcement-price-release-date/

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No word from Oculus and Valve yet, probably tomorrow.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    • nice nice x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    Oculus has announced their "Rift S" - a 360° personal Surveillance system, which is supposed to replace the Oculus Rift: https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-s-official/

Overall seems like a step back/cheapening out than a 2.0: No headphones, worse tracking, no manual IPD adjustment, LCD instead of OLED (worse blacks and colors), seemingly worse controller design, less Hz and apparently produced by Lenovo after their WMR design. I wouldn't be surprised if Facebook were trying to go full Mobile and trying to lessen the production costs for their PC HMD by offloading it to Lenovo to make a profit on the hardware.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    https://uploadvr.com/steam-valve-vr-gdc-2019/

o.O

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    Guess I'm finally getting a reason to buy it, coming to PSVR and SteamVR in Summer:

Some PSVR stuff, Sony apparently sold 4.2 million HMDs so far and has been investing more in software lately than competitors: https://uploadvr.com/sony-4-point-2-million-sold/

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Plaguecrafter Novice

Plaguecrafter
    Brb, just quickly getting a VR headset.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    Valve has revealed their upcoming VR HMD is called the "Valve Index" and will presumably release (or at least be fully revealed) in May of this year: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/valve_index/
    [​IMG]

There aren't many concrete details yet, but from the image it seems that it might be using inside-out tracking like the WMR and new Oculus HMD, and also features at least 14 IR LEDs presumably to continue to support the Valve Lighthouse base stations as a secondary (or primary?) method of tracking. They seem to have deliberately chosen the reveal picture to indicate that they also have a manual IPD adjustment, which Oculus has removed in their new "kit" to save money. It is very likely to be bundled with the long touted Valve Knuckles controllers and come out along with up to three VR games that have presumably been in development at Valve for years:
    Older leaked photos also indicate that it'll come along with built-in headphones, which the new Oculus Rift S has also removed for cost reasons, that it'll feature ~135° FoV (up from ~110° FoV of Rift/Vive) and come with at least "Vive Pro" resolution (2880x1600 or 1440x1600 per eye):

Also if you're interested in a Myst-like VR game from Cyan after Obduction:

They're having a KickStarter for "Firmament", which is specifically being developed with VR in mind:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    Store page for the Valve Index Headset was apparently Live for a short while, supposed to start selling June 15: http://archive.is/WjfBE
    According to SteamDB it ships the three different hardware packages (HMD, Controllers and Base Stations separately) and comes with 2 CD Keys for "Unknown" Apps: https://steamdb.info/app/1059530/
    [​IMG]

https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-index-vr-headset-leaked-steam-page-release-date/

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Dexter Arcane

Dexter

This is apparently the new VR Introduction for the Rift S:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Venser Savant

Venser

Can't wait till this becomes a VR standard and they build cool worlds with good stories on top of it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Venser Savant

Venser

https://www.roadtovr.com/hands-on-marvel-iron-man-vr-preview-psvr-playstation-vr/

"The studio behind the title, Camouflaj, has clearly spent a lot of time figuring out how to make the core flight mechanics feel awesome. They achieved that through a combination of immersive input (thrust is dictated by the direction the repulsors on your hands are facing) with enough assists to keep things comfortable while still making players feel like they’re in total control of where they go. The studio has also smartly designed the system to work in full 360 degrees (which is normally just about impossible for PSVR games), which further lets players get lost in the fantasy."

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    I'll be honest, I'm not exactly "hyped" over Boneworks. Even though they show interesting new interaction methods, the overall package so far seems a bit... lacking and/or dull from what they have shown? They seem to be trying to hype the few aspects of the game they've iterated the most over, but the rest seems to be generic/uninspired and limited warehouse-type level design with some custom obstacles.

Been playing Obduction in VR recently after they announced Firmament and one of the most interesting and inspired aspects about it was the Sci-Fi world building and clever level design with subtle story-telling and just letting you explore and solve puzzles in an alien world.

Much more interested to see Valve reveal what they've been working on too.

Oh yeah, and PSVR seems to have apparently gotten a Turn-based Tabletop RPG in VR:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    This actually looks like it could be cool:

Also found this video trying to compare Counter Strike with Pavlov VR and the difference in basic interactions:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)