Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

1eyedking Rift / Vive / VR General

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Jigawatt, Jun 21, 2016.

1. anvi Arbiter Village Idiot

anvi
    That looks pretty good.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Dexter Arcane

Dexter

• incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Venser Savant

Venser

Some Blade Runner ripoff, coming to kickstarter mid to late summer this year. Looks pretty cool.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Dexter Arcane

Dexter

+ Easier to Setup and Use
    + Slightly higher resolution and better Optics
    - No True Blacks due to no OLED
    - Sound absolutely shit
    - No hardware IPD
    - Might have some tracking problems in very specific situations or games

tl;dr near the end is basically that despite the somewhat higher resolution and better optics it's worse than the OG Rift

Also lulz:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Venser Savant

Venser
    In terms of display and clarity, Reverb seems to be the best VR headset by far.

Through the lenses shot:

[​IMG]

• incline incline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. anvi Arbiter Village Idiot

anvi
    Never heard of it but clarity is better. I would be worried about getting something other than the Rift though because of Valve's dominance. They will have some amazing games that will be Rift only, I assume. But I haven't got VR yet because I don't like the sound of seeing the edges of the screen, screendoor effecet, sickness, and no good VR games.

• what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. anvi Arbiter Village Idiot

anvi
    I have never heard of that VR headset in the post before mine. But the person said it is clearer looking and I think the photo proves that to be true. So I said "clarity is better" because when it looks a bit low rez when it is so close to your eye, that is a bad thing. So clarity, is better.

I may buy it for that, but my point was, would you really buy a headset that is not backed by Valve? I would be worried about getting something other than the Rift though because of Valve's dominance. They will have some amazing games that will be Rift only, I assume. But I haven't got VR yet because I don't like the sound of seeing the edges of the screen, screendoor effecet, sickness, and no good VR games.

^ Top  
  8. Venser Savant

Venser
    Got myself a present

[​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. anvi Arbiter Village Idiot

anvi
    Do you insert it anally?

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Shackleton Arbiter Patron

Shackleton
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
    I imagine he's saying 'what?' because you appear to be be thinking that Valve own the Rift, which is completely bonkers. Valve partnered with HTC to launch the Vive, but now they're bringing out their own headset called the Index which is going to be eye-wateringly expensive. Facebook own Oculus and it's headsets, the latest of which is called the Rift S and is out later this month.

Regarding the Reverb, there's a plugin that makes all the Windows VR headsets work with Steam VR so you wouldn't have to worry on that score. From what I read, the Windows VR controllers are the worst things about the headsets but I have no experience with them myself.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. whydoibother Learned

whydoibother
    Looks alright. Checked these devs channel, they've released a few VR titles already. Happy to see the market supports such a studio. Maybe VR isn't the new 3D TV after all.
    Had fun with Budget Cuts last weekend, and this weekend I'll play that Sony game where you are a water spirit helping a mouse adventurer or something? I didn't see much gameplay, don't want to spoil it. I want more of these games, the current tech and devs seem to be good at them. The loosely narrative driven solo adventures.

^ Top  
  12. Venser Savant

Venser
    Reveb has been recalled

[​IMG]

(source: amazon)

• "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    They also just announced a "Walking Dead" VR game licensed by AMC, although there's no Gameplay yet:

Ghost Giant? Or do you mean Moss? That's not a SNOY game though.

I saw this list of some of the more popular VR games on each platform (open)

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Shackleton Arbiter Patron

Shackleton
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
    Yeah, just read about this. It's a mura issue apparently, which also affected the Rift a bit. Basically some of the pixels can produce odd looking patterns due to variations in light and colour, really noticeable on blacks in particular. Massive fuckup from HP though to let it get to this stage, someone's going to get a boot up the arse.

^ Top  
  15. Venser Savant

Venser
    New game from creators of I Expect You To Die:

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Doktor Best Arcane

Doktor Best
    So that was basically a tech demo shown in the trailer. I'd like to have real games at some point now.

^ Top  
  17. Jigawatt Arcane

Jigawatt
    Shackleton got it in one - Valve was Vive and now is Index, Rift is from Facebook.

Anyway got some funding for a Hololens 2 so looking forward to that whenever it's actually available.

^ Top  
  18. anvi Arbiter Village Idiot

anvi
    Yeah yeah I meant Vive not Rift. Rift is dead.

^ Top  
  19. Venser Savant

Venser
    Looking forward to this one. It's coming out at the end of this month.

• decline decline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. anvi Arbiter Village Idiot

anvi
    That looks fucking horrible, and not just the terrible music.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Dexter Arcane

Dexter

This is apparently one of the new Intros to VR:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. anvi Arbiter Village Idiot

anvi
    That was an informative video!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. anvi Arbiter Village Idiot

anvi
    The top one I mean. They go in to every detail!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Sheep Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Sheep
    dead tech for losers who are just one step above from these who throw money on ethots

• Funny x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • sheeple x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Venser Savant

Venser
    [​IMG]

Finished Blood & Truth last night. The shooting and reloading mechanics are great and the game will make you feel like John Wick. Interaction with objects feels natural, as well as lockpicking, crawling through vents or hanging from monkey bars. Unfortunately there's no full locomotion and you can only move by picking predefined spots on the map and there is no backtracking. I often wished to explore some area in sight but the game didn't allow me. There's some freedom with choosing your own route and you can often strafe left and right. The running speed is way too slow, I imagine it's because some people get motion sick in VR. The game is pretty long and well paced with cutscenes and quieter moments to break the constant action. The story is meh, the dialogue is fine and well acted and I was invested in the characters. At some points during the stealth missions the game didn't let me progress unless I killed guards even tho I could've easily sneak past them. The enemy AI is really dumb too, they don't react when you take out their friends that are standing like 2 meters away with a silencer. Actually they don't really seem to react to noise either. The devs could've done some cool things like let us throw objects to distract enemies which would work great with move controllers. After beating the game all missions unlock so you can easily replay the ones you liked or showcase them to friends. There are also some challenges you can play through and the devs already said they will be adding more as well as the new game plus difficulty.

8/10

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)