Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God of War reboot - now on PC

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
The brit video made me think how nice a God Hand remake would be. It's not such a crazy idea even something niche like Ace Combat and Xenosaga are apparently getting ones.

sullynathan

Arcane
you can't jump in the prince of persia sand's of time trilogy, you cant jump in assassin's creed
you actually fucking can jump in all those games. I remember too because you can easily avoid the shitty Assassins creed combat by jumping out of the way. You can also jump out of combat in Prince of persia, or use jumping to dodge since you moved a greater distance than the evade button.

darksiders.
that sucks ass

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin
you can't jump in the prince of persia sand's of time trilogy, you cant jump in assassin's creed
you actually fucking can jump in all those games. I remember too because you can easily avoid the shitty Assassins creed combat by jumping out of the way. You can also jump out of combat in Prince of persia, or use jumping to dodge since you moved a greater distance than the evade button.

you can't jump in dark souls...
you actually fucking can jump in all those games.

And Dark Souls.

Well, so you can jump in the new God of war.

The thing is, in sands of time trilogy, you can roll. Jump only when you come in front of an edge and have to reach the other side. You can jump if you stay still, but it has almost no gameplay effect. It's the same as in assassin's creed.

About Dark souls: You can jump. But only after running. You don't have a jump button. These games all have jumping in a context. As in god of war.

I played all those games and jumping is more like a specific move in certain situations. It's not like press space = jump.

In any case, you don't feel like its a missing feature. You now when you throw your enemies above ground in GOW 1, 2 and 3? You do that in 4, it's just they don't go so high.

Another point: When I wrote the post I hadn't see the video review. I was answering Ezekiel's comment on it. I watched moments later, and one thing is, the guy doesn't like this kind of games in metroidvania style, and he wouldn't even play it. His audience asked him to and he did, but looks like he was biased. He was comparing it to much to the games he likes playing.

darksiders.
that sucks ass

Yes it does. I finished it when it was released and actually had fun, but I went to replay it again and got bored. The 2nd game was even worse.

Ash

Arcane
About Dark souls: You can jump. But only after running. You don't have a jump button. These games all have jumping in a context. As in god of war.

Except the context in Dark Souls is way more liberal and the player can do it pretty much anywhere. The context in God of War is one of the worst: you must be at the edge, AND the jump itself is automated. You don't have to time it or line yourself up. That you think these are equivalent is basis for the revoking of your monocle.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
There is only downsides to this camera perspective for melee combat. Hell, it's not great for shooters either. Cutting off left hand "peripheral vision," for what? It's not more cinematic, which I've heard a couple of times and is ridiculous and just repeating what some ignorant reviewer or marketer said. Cinema involves varying camera angles, even in most films that boast long takes. I know of at least one film where the camera follows behind the protagonist for the entirety of the film (which makes it an anomaly and can hardly be considered representative of cinematic technique or style), but even then the camera is positioned directly behind (kind of like in the best melee action games. How about that...), not off to his right side. Old Resident Evil is more cinematic by definition than any of these over-the-shoulder games.

Last edited:

Big Wrangle

I know of at least one film where the camera follows behind the protagonist for the entirety of the film
Are you talking about Son of Saul? The movie did it excellently if I'm being honest. By making it uncomfortably close, it served to enhance the already opressive atmopshere.

Except the context in Dark Souls is way more liberal and the player can do it pretty much anywhere. The context in God of War is one of the worst: you must be at the edge, AND the jump itself is automated. You don't have to time it or line yourself up. That you think these are equivalent is basis for the revoking of your monocle.

No, it's not equivalent, notice I said "these" games because I included all the others I mentioned. The fact is that you can play dark souls from start to finish without jumping. It's necessary only in one or two instances and just to reach some hidden optional areas. It's a so hidden ability that people normally have to ask how do you jump in that game. And its bound to a 30 fps. If you change to 60fps jump is worthless, because the reach of it reduces. You can deactivate jumping in DS and you won't lose anything important.

The thing is that people are complaining about the lack of jumping because you could freely jump in previous God of war games. And the games I mentioned (DS, PoP, AC) do not have a jumping system similar to old god of war titles. Even more, you don't use jumping as a combat option in these games, which is the main complaint the guy in the video mention about GOW.

In any case, GOW is structured as a game that has no jumping. You don't miss jumping in doom 1 and 2.

Anyway, there's a shitty game that has context sensitive jumping, and it's bad: Thiaf. But Thiaf is bad because of inumerous reasons. The lack of jumping isn't the main one.

About the camera in combat, that's a valid concern. For people who gets affected by that. Cameras never bothered me in a game, with the exception being FOV in FPS games, which I always set to a preferential comfortable view.

Big Wrangle

I noticed that the camera would briefly zoom out at times in combat. It feels like something that'd work if it became a universal case in the next game. Like keep that over the shoulder camera with the exploration, and in combat all bets are off. This would remove the need for the threat indicators as you can now see an enemy walking up to you etc.

Machocruz

Arcane
I know of at least one film where the camera follows behind the protagonist for the entirety of the film
Are you talking about Son of Saul? The movie did it excellently if I'm being honest. By making it uncomfortably close, it served to enhance the already opressive atmopshere.
No. It was a black and white movie. The camera followed a couple people walking down a street. It might have been just a very long scene or a the whole film (probably a short film). Been trying to Google it but haven't found it again.

Last edited:
No. It was a black and white movie. The camera followed a couple people walking down a street. It might have been just a very long scene or a the whole film (probably a short film). Been trying to Google it but haven't found it again.

They aren't walking the whole movie, but I'm guessing that's the movie you're talking about.

Machocruz

Arcane
^Yeah that's it. I only saw that walking segment in a video about tracking shots. For some reason I had the impression it was the whole or a good portion of the film. So not even in actual cinema does a camera follow the character in an "over the shoulder" perspective throughout. Nice try, video game industry.

Last edited:

bminorkey

for anyone reading this thread and the camera thing who hasn't played the game

if you don't play this game because the camera is bad you are a huge dumbass

Even this game doesn't keep you in the same perspective throughout, it's moving the camera all around in cutscenes. It is trying to make the whole thing seem like one long take, but by not presenting stuff like your inventory and upgrade menus in a diegesis way (like how Dead Space does) they are cutting away.

There are movies that are just one long shot. Here's two that do it without editing tricks:

Machocruz

Arcane
I've seen people claim the over the shoulder camera in general is "cinematic", whether it's GoW, RE4, Dead Space, etc. But there are other things going on in those games visually that evoke cinema, not the perspective. People parrot marketing though.

Ash

Arcane
There are of course "benefits".

-Puts you closer to the action, allowing you to see enemies and objects you interact with in greater detail (which First Person does much better, only without seeing the protagonist in full).
-Less intense transition between aiming the axe to be thrown. If the camera was way out as in classic GoW, the camera would have to swoop in fast or cut to behind view for axe aiming. Sharp perspective transitions like this have been done just fine in plenty other games though (e.g aiming through sniper scope in first and third person games), and it isn't too relevant.
-There's probably also some subconscious attachment that goes on where you're so close to the character the whole time, emotional investment potential in that character is higher. If so this would be very minor though, as 99% of the time you're staring at their back and can't see their facial expressions (fear, anger, joy etc), which is pretty much all shown in scripted scenes anyway.

In other words not a lot of value.

Last edited:

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I enjoyed the game but it's pretty much a style over substance product. There's absolutely zero reason for the over the shoulder camera in this game, you throw shit and shoot shit in Assassin's Creed Origins too and the wide panning camera in that game worked fine. But nooooooooo, muh shiny cinematic style > gameplay function -_-

Egosphere

Arcane
So, Kratos is now Geralt with annoying little sperm cum running around.

also

https://www.polygon.com/interviews/2018/4/27/17287292/god-of-war-ps4-sony-toxic-masculinity

:troll:

MUH TOXIC MASCULINITY! MUH CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT! MUH DEPTH OF MUH EMOTIONS! MUH DETOXED SELF!

You know what's really funny and sad? Its that, even if we accept that games are dead and have been supplanted by story driven cinematic experiences that emphasize emotions and preaching politicized values to the audience, they're still not even in the same fucking ballpark as movies at doing that. There's more 'emotions' and a more valuable lesson in Apocalypse Now than there is in the whole nu-game catalog.

you can't jump in the prince of persia sand's of time trilogy

:what:

Did you even played Sands of Time?

Yes. Twice. He can jump in place, but rolls in movement with the same button. And when in the edge of a platform to cross a gap. It's not like GOW 1, 2 and 3, where you can jump anywhere, in any direction.

EDIT: Oh yes, forgot about wall to wall, but that's more like a rhythm movement. and only works in specific situations.

In any case, one can argue that you can "misjump" in these games, but the main complaint here is the lack of jump anytime-anywhere.

Last edited:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Played and finished in Give me God of War difficulty. Not recommending it to any sane person... Last Valkyrie fight was intense.
I liked the game but main villain is a bit weak though. Gief Odin and Thor for next game pl0x.
NPCs have much more depth and character than most new RPG NPCs. Mimir was basicly a wiser Morte.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Played and finished in Give me God of War difficulty. Not recommending it to any sane person... Last Valkyrie fight was intense.
I liked the game but main villain is a bit weak though. Gief Odin and Thor for next game pl0x.
NPCs have much more depth and character than most new RPG NPCs. Mimir was basicly a wiser Morte.

Didn't you go back to Kratos' house after sprinkling the ashes?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Didn't you go back to Kratos' house after sprinkling the ashes?

Can't believe missed that part, thanks. But that hammer was kinda small.

"You know what they say about man with small hammers Thor?"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom