Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware So... what games to look forward for in 2019?

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
9V4XESk.png

DMC5 is the best action game ever made

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Rage 2, the new Wolfenstein and Doom games are on my radar for shooters.

RPGs... uh, none that I know of since it seems Outer Worlds was delayed. That's fine though since I have a massive backlog.

Point and click adventures... I don't really keep track of these anymore, I just buy them when someone suggests one, and I also have a massive backlog here.

Zelda: Link's Awakening Remastered on the Switch. Not sure there's any other Switch games I care about this year, but I don't think Nintendo has announced everything yet.

That's about it, since I only really play 3 genres.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
[citation needed]

https://webmshare.com/Ybm7j

My own Review of the game

Also, "action games" are shit.

Only a storyfag or a hipster would say such stupidity (or a woman).
Action games are the most mechanical and gameplay focused genre of videogames that there is, and has such are the most "pure" so to say.
There's a reason it's the genre that boasts not just the highest number of different subgenres (fighting games, shooters, beat-em-up's/hack 'n' slash, platformer, survival horror, etc.), but also of truly great and excellent games.

Last edited:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Only a storyfag or a hipster would say such stupidity (or a woman).
Only a faggot would say such retardation.
Action games are the most mechanical and gameplay focused genre of videogames that there is, and has such are the most "pure" so to say.
:prosper:
There's a reason it's the genre that boasts not just the highest number of different subgenres (fighting games, shooters, beat-em-up's/hack 'n' slash, platformer, survival horror, etc.)
Yeah, and that reason is that it's a really wide "genre" to the point of not really being one. I don't think most people would categorize things like survival horror or platformers as "action gaymes" to begin with, even, but whatever. And either way, this has nothing to do with not being shit.
but also of truly great and excellent games.
Yeah, I guess the original Castlevanias were pretty cool.

Edit: I skimmed the videos you embedded. DMC5 looks like fucking stupid console trash, as expected. You are of course allowed to enjoy fucking stupid things, obviously, but don't expect shit like that to make a convincing case.

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Also, "action games" are shit.

Only a faggot would say such retardation.

Now that's more like it.

:prosper:

You can't even come up with a counter argument.
Fine I'll explain it to you like you were a 5 years old.
Action games, unlike any other genre, live or die by the fundamental aspect that makes a videogame a videogame. Gameplay.
That's why they are "pure".
RPG's and other genre's, can afford being bad at the mechanics, but can still be good provided they excel at the other aspects (you can go the Codex's Top RPG list and find a lot of such examples)
If an action games fails at the mechanics it's over. Doesn't matter how good the rest is. At best it will never be anything more than mediocre.

Yeah, and that reason is that it's a really wide "genre" to the point of not really being one. I don't think most people would categorize things like survival horror or platformers as "action gaymes" to begin with

Yeah, survival horror that's my bad. But for the rest of this post, no. Because it's a well defined genre, with clear and specific emphasis: physical challenges.

And either way, this has nothing to do with not being shit.

And you still haven't provided a counter argument.
Also I am beginning to suspect you don't even like games at all.
Otherwise you wouldn't say a genre that is all about the intrinsic quality/aspect of it's given medium is shit.

DMC5 looks like fucking stupid console trash, as expected. You are of course allowed to enjoy fucking stupid things, obviously, but don't expect shit like that to make a convincing case.

Of course someone who can't even recognize the fact that action games are all about gameplay, wouldn't be able to possibly understand the appeal of a game whose sole focus is challenge and mechanics so well designed that allow for insanely skillful play.

Tehdagah

Arcane

I imagine it's like every other DMC game where you can create super complex air-combos... but repeating the same 2-3 strong attacks over and over again have the exactly same results. Sometimes even better results.

Also, the gamingbrit is a big hipster who puts the feels of playing over the mechanics, check out his Uncharted 3 review to see him talking about everything except gameplay.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
but repeating the same 2-3 strong attacks over and over again have the exactly same results.

Can it get you trough a level? Yes, if you're playing on any difficulty bellow DMD.

But it doesn't get you better results, not really.

For example the very good players, like the guy from that video, can pretty much kill any enemy (except bosses of course) in one continuous combo. But to do that you have use Dante's/Nero's abilities effectively, for which the player must make use of their arsenals to the fullest (which in turn means you can't stick to 2/3 moves).
Then there's the fact the objective of the game is getting the highest scores for every level in the game. Which means doing them as fast possible, sustaining the least amount of damage possible (no damage at all) and doing these thing while being stylish. Which again means you have to make use of the character's full arsenal of weapons, moves and abilities.

the gamingbrit is a big hipster who puts the feels of playing over the mechanics

Yes, but one of few reviewers I know that does understand the weight of the mechanics in these types of games. Hell, he was pretty much the only one I know of that pointed out how bad the gameplay of the nu God of War was. And his reviews of the DMC and Ninja Gaiden games did delve considerably in mechanics part.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Yes, but he's only one of these reviewers I know that does understand the weight of the mechanics in these types of games. Hell, he was pretty much the only one I know that pointed out how bad the gameplay of the nu God of War was. And his reviews of the DMC and Ninja Gaiden games did delve considerably in mechanics part.
Turbo Button is better but he doesn't make much videos.

Silentstorm

Learned
Doom Eternal- Because Doom.
The Outer Worlds- Hey, it's a RPG.
Spelunky 2-The first one is still a great roguelite and i spent several hours on the free version...then paid for the HD version and spent even more hours playing that one, needless to say, i want the sequel.
Bloodstained:Ritual Of The Night- The spin-off Bloodstained game was pretty good and i like metroidvanias, so i hope this ends up being good.
Blazing Chrome- What's this, a game inspired by Metal Slug and Contra...yes yes yes!
Virtuaverse- Looks like an interesting adventure game.
Blacksad:Under The Skin- Another good looking adventure game.
Wrath:Aeon Of Ruin- Don't know if this is supposed to come out in 2019 or not but i don't care.
Minoria- Again, i like metroidvanias, and the guys behind this game made Momodora:Reverie Under The Moonlight so i am of course interested in this.
Gibbous A Cthulhu Adventure- Another adventure game i want.
Fight Knight- DUNGEON CRAWLER PUNCH-OUT, i repeat this is Punch-Out as a dungeon crawler, okay, it's in first person:
ss_0b83ad3dffb10a6c51dfe4dfec9a65be0e2597da.1920x1080.jpg

But it's still a dungeon crawler game with a cool art style about a knight punching things in the face and it's really a dungeon crawler, big maps that aren't randomized, exploration, traps, puzzles, things you would expect from this genre, only, again, you play with a knight who says "To hell with swords!" and thus punches skeletons and monsters in the face, i don't know if i am just being really juvenile about this but i really want this game.

And that's just about it that i can think of right now.

Tehdagah

Arcane
but repeating the same 2-3 strong attacks over and over again have the exactly same results.

Can it get you trough a level? Yes, if you're playing on any difficulty bellow DMD.

But it doesn't get you better results, not really.

For example the very good players, like the guy from that video, can pretty much kill any enemy (except bosses of course) in one continuous combo. But to do that you have use Dante's/Nero's abilities effectively, for which the player must make use of their arsenals to the fullest (which in turn means you can't stick to 2/3 moves).
Then there's the fact the objective of the game is getting the highest scores for every level in the game. Which means doing them as fast possible, sustaining the least amount of damage possible (no damage at all) and doing these thing while being stylish. Which again means you have to make use of the character's full arsenal of weapons, moves and abilities.
The thing is, you don't need to use the whole arsenal, because most attacks are weak. You can use the best (most powerful) attacks to kill a group of enemies fast and get a high style meter.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
You can't even come up with a counter argument.
Nothing I said was even meant as a counter-argument, you complete autist. If you want a counter-argument, you first have to actually make an argument, and you masturbating over homoerotic button-mashers is not.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
The thing is, you don't need to use the whole arsenal, because most attacks are weak. You can use the best (most powerful) attacks to kill a group of enemies fast and get a high style meter.

Yes but the strongest attacks have relatively big wind-up animations, which obviously make you more vulnerable. While those weaker attacks are very useful to create a opening in the enemy's, for the player to be able to perform their combos and those stronger attacks.
Also it's far easier to fill the style meter by switching between the different weapons (the scoring system takes that into account gives you more points for doing so). Besides each weapons has their own properties so switching to the most useful one given the situation you're in is just good practice.

Ad hominem. If you want a counter-argument, you first have to actually make an argument, ad hominem.

Yikes.
You sure got me.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
He's right that games like DMC are pretty mechanics-driven. If you don't like hack n' slash combat then obviously it's not for you... and it's not really for me... but they're not retardo win button games. Well, not usually anyway, I think they went through the same retardo phase RPGs did when things got more mainstream. Dark Souls is basically that kind of game but with more stats and gear, and Dark Souls is on our top 10 RPGs list I'm pretty sure.

Silentstorm

Learned
Well, i found another game i really want, Jupiter Hell:
oMQqpV.png

It's basically the 3D version of DOOMRL, or in other words, the bigger version of Doom:The Roguelike made by the same people, and i don't know about you guys, but i remember spending hours playing the ASCII version and then the one with 2D graphics, so having a bigger version is right up my alley and i am really damn excited for this, though i am pretty damn sure the demons won't be as cool because, you know, DOOMRL had Cyberdemons and all the other Doom enemies, and those are really hard to beat, but that's what happens when you have to do your own thing.

Batman

Literate
looking forward to playing Pokemon HeartGold on Nintendo DS. love retro games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom