Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends Pre-Release Thread

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
You have to be pretty delusional to expect this game to be like Baldur's Gate. No matter how much they name drop it. Then again, reading the official forums some people are actually believing this may be the next BG game... oh well.

I think it can be decent (need more info) but not like BG.

Lord Andre

Arcane
I will pre-order a game (non-kickstarter) when they announce that their fighters have Tome of Warriors style stances but 0 mage-like abilities. Then I will pre-order. Soo...basically never.

They bought the Forgotten Realms IP but not the D&D ruleset. So they could put in Drizzt. (Well, it's a bit early in the 5e release cycle for a full-fledged 3rd-party game anyways. I expect one will be announced at the same time or near to the announcement of the FR campaign book.)
Maybe Hasbro didn't want to give them ruleset? So you know it doesn't compete with their product or some bullshit like that.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Though I've never even seen the new DnD ruleset, I've heard it's shit.

To be fair, I believe the new DnD ruleset is mostly only considered shit here on the Codex, where everything is considered shit - and many of the people talking crap about it haven't even seen the rules, either. The reception among DnD players, as far as I've seen, has been fairly positive. Some 4th edition players don't like 5th edition (as is always the case with new editions) but fans of older editions, including myself, seem to be pretty happy.

Weasel
They bought the Forgotten Realms IP but not the D&D ruleset. So they could put in Drizzt. (Well, it's a bit early in the 5e release cycle for a full-fledged 3rd-party game anyways. I expect one will be announced at the same time or near to the announcement of the FR campaign book.)
Maybe Hasbro didn't want to give them ruleset? So you know it doesn't compete with their product or some bullshit like that.

Not sure where this idea that they didn't 'buy the D&D ruleset' comes from. Because they're streamlining some stuff? That might be due to the type of game they want to make not demands by Hasbro/WOTC. On the WOTC website they describe the game:

"Sword Coast Legends offers an all-new way to enjoy the time-tested magic of playing Dungeons & Dragons as a shared storytelling experience....
Set in the Dungeons & Dragons Forgotten Realms universe based on the fifth edition ruleset and populated with Dungeons & Dragons lore and legend."

It doesn't look like they're trying to distance the 5e ruleset from the game tbh, otherwise I don't see why WOTC would mention the use of 5e on their own site. "Based" could just mean that it's not an exact copy for popamole streamlining reasons. I guess this will be clarified in due course though.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
^ If their intend was to streamline it for popamolers, then why make it PC exclusive?

Lord Andre

Arcane
5th edition is ok, certainly good enough to power a crpg...if they'd actually bother to implement it, instead of DAO 2.0.

Shannow

Waster of Time
^ If their intend was to streamline it for popamolers, then why make it PC exclusive?
What gives you the impression, that "streamlining" (in the negative sense) is reserved for multi-platform/console games?
What makes you think this will stay PC exclusive?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I still can't wrap my head around the fact that some people are responding to "why r u optimistic" with "d00d it looks like NWN" :S

If there was a NWN1-like toolset for this, I'd be cautiously optimistic. :M

But we all know it's going to be shit. From what I've been able to decipher, they're not shooting for a RTwP implementation of 5E. They just want to do generic MMO crap and call the generic classes/spells the same as in D&D.

Weasel
Still haven't seen any info on the engine. But luckily the faggots at RPS had time to cover the important stuff :M

Brawls! Ghouls! Fifth Edition rules! Oh, what a lively place that Sword Coast is! So vibrant. It’s got real character. Of course, in a few years it’ll be filled with brunch venues, bars that are also vintage clothes shops, market stalls selling £4 scotch eggs, and young people. Get in while you can, before people like you change it forever.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
What gives you the impression, that "streamlining" (in the negative sense) is reserved for multi-platform/console games?
What makes you think this will stay PC exclusive?

Of course it is not given that a PC only game is going to have deep mechanics, but in this particular case, with the not-so-sexy D&D license (only sexy for old schoolers) I feel like the devs know who their target audience is and understand that you don't have to dumb it down so a chimpanzee can enjoy the game.

Maybe we will see a console release at some point, but what we've seen so far implicates that this game has been developed for PC first. I really doubt that a top-down RPG in D&D universe is gathering much interest in the console world.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Looking forward to seeing all the grogs shovel this ugly-UI, ugly-3D, terribad rotatable camera, cooldown-and-collect-10-ooze-samples-fest down their gullets while saying "at least it's better than PoE."

Lol, Grognards.
So you're saying that your "most elegantly designed RPG of all time" is on the same level as a Bioware game? You're losing it, big time. And so will Sawyer (who has already started making excuses, usually he waits untill the game is actually released), as biotards will ignore PoE and flock to this POS since it will be the "true spiritual succesor to Baldur's Gate" since it's a RTwP D&D game made by Bioware. Meanwhile Larian is laughing on their way to the bank, being the winners that they are.
Because even most of PC gamers are popamolers these days. And it allows them to port it to tablets, since it's the future of gaming (TM) and mouse driven PC games work quite well on those things (why do you think they ported Infinity Engine games to iOS/android?).

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
So you're saying that your "most elegantly designed RPG of all time" is on the same level as a Bioware game? You're losing it, big time. And so will Sawyer (who has already started making excuses, usually he waits untill the game is actually released), as biotards will ignore PoE and flock to this POS since it will be the "true spiritual succesor to Baldur's Gate" since it's a RTwP D&D game made by Bioware. Meanwhile Larian is laughing on their way to the bank, being the winners that they are.

That's a weird interpretation of what I said.

bloodlover

Arcane
Some of the complains around here are shit, especially since very little is known about the game. Only 12 slots? Nwn totally didin't have that. Minimap? Yeah that was missing too from Nwn. And Might and Magic.

Shannow

Waster of Time

That's a weird interpretation of what I said.
That's what Sawyer said :balance:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Some of the complains around here are shit, especially since very little is known about the game. Only 12 slots? Nwn totally didin't have that. Minimap? Yeah that was missing too from Nwn. And Might and Magic.
It's not so much the number of slots as the number of abilities. NWN had 36 slots btw.
If I play a mage in this game and have ray of frost, fireball, magic missile and Mordenkainen's Sword and can basically only upgrade that to fireball II and so on to keep up with the HP bloat, then I'm not very excited.
Not saying the game can't be fun despite of such a system, Divinity 2 was so for instance.

Telengard

Arcane
Not sure where this idea that they didn't 'buy the D&D ruleset' comes from. Because they're streamlining some stuff? That might be due to the type of game they want to make not demands by Hasbro/WOTC.
In the entertainment world, "inspired by" is code for "we used the names, but otherwise threw everything out and did our own thing". It's the stuff of reboots and spiritual successors.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech

"Only 4 in party!". Man, that means D:OS and fallout 1/2 must have sucked.

The fact it is PC only brings hope, we will see what comes out of it in following months. For now it has 50/50 chance to go either way. Especially with how they press info about great 4+1 MP, little about single player campaign. Might end up call of duty 6 hrs campaigno-tutorial before you start to MP with PuGs against 13-yr old DMs who don't understand this is not asymmetrical PvP.. but it might not and be great.

Of course there are so many things they can still fuck up, but the fact there is more exposition on the MP part is what worries.

Black

Arcane
In summary.
:nofunallowed:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom