Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends Pre-Release Thread

Athelas

Arcane
Why do you say that?
Track record. I have the feeling Bioware could design better combat if they didn't neglect it in favor of focus on story (which they have never been very good at).

I've noticed that ever since PoE, people have started to go "well, the combat looks like it might be decent" on pretty much every other RTwP RPG. Pillars of Eternity - unintentional rehabilitator of real time with pause on the RPG Codex!
Not me. I've been critical about some aspects of the gameplay of PoE, but also positive about some of the other aspects.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Looking forward to seeing all the grogs shovel this ugly-UI, ugly-3D, terribad rotatable camera, cooldown-and-collect-10-ooze-samples-fest down their gullets while saying "at least it's better than PoE."

Lol, Grognards.

eremita

Savant
I still can't wrap my head around the fact that some people are responding to "why r u optimistic" with "d00d it looks like NWN" :S
Because we're not talking just about the OC? But the whole package, including toolset... Bring me "NWN 2015 edition" and I. will. suck. your. dick.

Axe Father

Savant
Haha, yep, BioWare's dirty little secret. It was forgotten very quickly. I wonder if anybody on this forum has ever played it.

Oh, I've played it. Words fail to describe the disaster that is this game. It's so bad that even Sonic fans shit all over it, and they've been giving free passes to terrible games for over a decade now.

kain611

Augur
What the fuck? This is real? What the hell am I looking at?

The_Dark_Brotherhood.jpg

Haha, yep, BioWare's dirty little secret. It was forgotten very quickly. I wonder if anybody on this forum has ever played it.

I played it using an r4 card...sad to say but it was one of the better Sonic games until Generations came out. Only good if you don't mind jrpg's.

Gozma

Arcane
I still can't wrap my head around the fact that some people are responding to "why r u optimistic" with "d00d it looks like NWN" :S

This may well be up to 11% worse than other RTw/P 90 hours of filler games

there

Axe Father

Savant
Thing is, I feel a multiplayer oriented RPG like this can work, but why is it that they always feel the need to strip all of the narrative aspects out and turn it into a chain of MMO fetch quests? A game that uniquely weaves a narrative into a multiplayer setting would be interesting, but that still won't save it from the questionable gameplay mechanics these types of games always use.

Avellion

Erudite
Well, this ended up not being as bad as I feared.

Might be worth following. But the question is, will the encounter design be any good?

Tigranes

Arcane
Thing is, I feel a multiplayer oriented RPG like this can work, but why is it that they always feel the need to strip all of the narrative aspects out and turn it into a chain of MMO fetch quests? A game that uniquely weaves a narrative into a multiplayer setting would be interesting, but that still won't save it from the questionable gameplay mechanics these types of games always use.

Because the way MP works as it stands is in many ways in direct tension with the way RPG story progression is designed. People have tried to address bits of it and always failed to make a big difference. One recent example would be Dungeon Siege.

Hopefully they reveal some concrete details soon. I presume / hope the video combat is on, like, 3x speed to try and make it look more exciting.

Axe Father

Savant
Because the way MP works as it stands is in many ways in direct tension with the way RPG story progression is designed. People have tried to address bits of it and always failed to make a big difference. One recent example would be Dungeon Siege.

Hopefully they reveal some concrete details soon. I presume / hope the video combat is on, like, 3x speed to try and make it look more exciting.

I suppose it's much more difficult to solve these issues than I give it credit. I certainly don't know enough to propose any solutions. That said, I am curious to see more, even if it's just to make even more sure that it won't be something I'll pick up.

Multi-headed Cow

What the fuck? This is real? What the hell am I looking at?

The_Dark_Brotherhood.jpg
There's a lot of overlap between degenerate furries that love Sonic games and degenerate pansexual otherkin that love Bioware games. It was a natural move.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Multiplayer in games like these is just a marketing hook to net in all the 'gieb MP pl0x' mainstream tards.

What the fuck is this shit?

This has got to be one of the most godawful announcements I've ever seen.

Any faith or goodwill they might have garnered evaporated as soon as they claimed to be the first time anyone has tried to implement GM functionality.

Word to the wise guys: when you're making a semi-niche product, avoid lying to your core demographic in the initial announcement.

Also, I tend to think DA:O is a victim of hipster hate and mostly gets a bad rap (or at least gets a bad rap for the wrong reasons), but anyone arguing that it delivered on its promise of a BG2 spiritual successor is either drunk, deluded, dumb, or all of the above.

Grubba

Arcane
I hope there's an option to turn off all the goddamn text and other shit. When I see a jumbled mess of spell and ability names it makes me think of newer MMO junk like WoW. Also...they couldn't have included a character sheet or inventory in all those screen shots?

So...this is next in the line D&D CRPGs with toolsets? UA, NWN, and now SCL? Hopefully the toolset isn't shit but an advanced version could make for a good DLC offering.

A user named cat

It's as terrible as you can possibly imagine it being, as if Sonic hasn't become bad enough on its own without Bioware taint.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom