Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends Pre-Release Thread

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, to be fair, when you say you are inspired by something, you don't need to pay royalties or have your creativity shackled by their mistakes and demands. :M

Athelas

Arcane
Some are saying they're "optimistic." Right now I see 0 reasons to think that it will be anything but shit. I'm an optimistic guy. I like hoping for the best. So if someone can quote just one tidbit to make me optimistic about this game, my attitude will change in a second.
I thought you liked DA:O? This is apparently from the "members of the leadership team that brought you Dragon Age™: Origins".

Lhynn

Arcane
To all those that talk about the next neverwinter nights in terms of mods and DMing.... Let me be clear, its not coming, it never will.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Looks like a D&D moba with cooldowns and everything, interesting and with those credentials there should be lots of elven on dwarf sex

nikolokolus

Arcane
I assume Hasbro/WotC is going to want to milk as much money out of this as they can. In which case I doubt very much they'll release an editor. Pure speculation on my part, but given recent trends in vidya gaemz development, I'll bet they try to monetize this by putting a twist on microtransactions - Beyond the introductory adventure (which will probably be no more than a few hours long) you'll have to purchase "modules" to keep extending the game. They'll pitch this as being "just like it is with the tabletop game!"

Who knows, maybe they'll prove me wrong.

Axe Father

Savant
I second the "half-assed NWN" observations. NWN was a very rough game, and the toolkit and modules made for it were the main reason to buy it. This game is likely to have much less in terms of out-of-the-box customization, and it seems they are making the same mistake that NWN did, I.E. the campaign will be boring as fuck because it was designed around co-op so everything is a banal fetch quest.

Either way you slice it, even if they do release editing tools, it sure as hell isn't going to be a game to get even a year after it is released. If you're gonna buy a game because of mods, there's gotta be a proven selection of them before you spring for it.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
"D&D 5E RPG with optional co-op"?

It thought it appeared more like "D&D 5E co-op RPG with optional single-player".

kris

Arcane
They sure have big insides of the houses in the Sword coast. some doorframes are even made for Ogres. No, seriously, look at the size of every room displayed in their screenshots, they are huge. Or the characters tiny, if you will.

getter77

Augur
Well, there's at least some chance of this being good---quite surprised to see the aggressive pre-order strategy they've gone for, though for something with this much clout I'm not surprised they've gone a traditional route as opposed to aiming for something like Kickstarter.

The key thing going forward is more details provided by the team members directly, especially in terms of how they are actually intending to up the ante versus the likes of NWN and whatnot---IF they are aggressively ambitious at this, even if they stumble a fair bit, then it just might actually have a chance versus the passive resting on (presumed) laurels that was Neverwinter.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
I'm Jay Turner, Narrative Director for SCL. I'm also writing the majority of the story, dialogue, etc. for the game, along with help from our leads team and our designers on the project. We're working closely with Wizards to make sure the story is aligned with the Forgotten Realms and as awesome as everything else you see what that legendary imprint.

For my credits, I've worked on Jade Empire, all three Mass Effects, Dragon Age: Origins, Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel, and Dead Space 3. I've also been playing D&D since I was but a wee lad, and running it (and other tabletop RPGs) for more than 20 years.

We've got an awesome team and an insanely awesome game, and I think you guys will be pleased with what we're putting together. Thanks for your interest!

From https://forums.swordcoast.com/index.php?/topic/44-so-who-are-the-writers/

Dunno, will probably be better than DA: Inquisition, tho that's not saying much.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"I'm Jay Turner, Narrative Director for SCL. I'm also writing the majority of the story, dialogue, etc. for the game, along with help from our leads team and our designers on the project. We're working closely with Wizards to make sure the story is aligned with the Forgotten Realms and as awesome as everything else you see what that legendary imprint.

For my credits, I've worked on Jade Empire, all three Mass Effects, Dragon Age: Origins, Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel, and Dead Space 3. I've also been playing D&D since I was but a wee lad, and running it (and other tabletop RPGs) for more than 20 years.

We've got an awesome team and an insanely awesome game, and I think you guys will be pleased with what we're putting together. Thanks for your interest! "

From https://forums.swordcoast.com/index.php?/topic/44-so-who-are-the-writers/

Dunno, will probably be better than DA: Inquisition, tho that's not saying much.

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/jay-turner/credits/developerId,179406/

Quite the jack of all trades.

Athelas

Arcane
Is anyone actually expecting the writing to be good? It will probably be something along the lines of a Faerun where the entire population is replaced by Joss Whedon characters.

The combat on the other hand might turn out to be decent.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I still can't wrap my head around the fact that some people are responding to "why r u optimistic" with "d00d it looks like NWN" :S

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Is anyone actually expecting the writing to be good? It will probably be something along the lines of a Faerun where the entire population is replaced by Joss Whedon characters.

I don't know what it will worth (and who can knows it now), but:
I'm Jay Turner, Narrative Director for SCL. I'm also writing the majority of the story, dialogue, etc. for the game, along with help from our leads team and our designers on the project. We're working closely with Wizards to make sure the story is aligned with the Forgotten Realms and as awesome as everything else you see what that legendary imprint

So the writing parts are under the WOTC approval.So at least, we can expect a respectfull lore stories and characters

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Why do you say that?

I've noticed that ever since PoE, people have started to go "well, the combat looks like it might be decent" on pretty much every other RTwP RPG. Pillars of Eternity - unintentional rehabilitator of real time with pause on the RPG Codex!

(Of course this backfired very badly when some people suggested that Dragon Age: Inquisition looked like it would have better combat than Pillars :P)

mastroego

Arcane
Not excited.
I don't have anything witty to say.
Just, I guess, a few things look good, several things look bad.

Also, I tire of promises.
Just get it out and we'll see. And no preordering, dude.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What the fuck? This is real? What the hell am I looking at?

The_Dark_Brotherhood.jpg

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I'm Jay Turner, Narrative Director for SCL. I'm also writing the majority of the story, dialogue, etc. for the game, along with help from our leads team and our designers on the project. We're working closely with Wizards to make sure the story is aligned with the Forgotten Realms and as awesome as everything else you see what that legendary imprint.

We've got an awesome team and an insanely awesome game, and I think you guys will be pleased with what we're putting together. Thanks for your interest!

Too many "awesomes". Probable brain damage from prolongated Bioware employment.

We'll see.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
What the fuck? This is real? What the hell am I looking at?

The_Dark_Brotherhood.jpg

Haha, yep, BioWare's dirty little secret. It was forgotten very quickly. I wonder if anybody on this forum has ever played it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom