Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Sword Coast Legends Pre-Release Thread

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Those portraits are fucking ugly.

Black

Arcane
Creators of DA:O?
RTWP?!
SWORD TOAST?!!?!/1
5TH E?!!?!!!?!!1/11/111
CODEX GOTY 2015 HERE WE COME

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
2tzMqaY.jpg

At least they have a d20 there, it does not guarantee anything, though.

And I guess the toolkit will be not so powerful given they're selling monster and tile set for DM use.

Last edited:

SwiftCrack

Arcane
It's like they stole shadowrun returns portraits and removed everything what made those appealing.

Ramireza

Savant
Those portraits are fucking ugly.

Well, its ok in my eyes. But the 4th one (the Mage?) looks like Tingletangle Bob :D

BTW : "Mage" It seems like there is no Cleriks/Druids in this Game, because the Mage also have Healing Spells and stuff. The Typical Fighter/Mage/Thief triumvirate of all dumbed down RPG´s.

TingelTangel.png

sser

Arcane
Developer
I'm actually interested in the multiplayer mechanic after Dungeonland gave it a go.

Perkel

Arcane
So did NWN. And Dungeon Siege. And many other terrible games.
Perkel: Where have you been for the last 10 years..?:
Almost every shovelware action RPG is top down.
I don't see anything whatsoever that seperates this "tactical combat" from standard co-op fare so far. Do you?
Look to the Neverwinter MMO or Demon Stone to see what "adaption of D&D rules" means. The very fact that they're saying "adaption" probably means it will look nothing like actual 5E rules.
Most co-op games don't have NWN-style tilesets.
Some are saying they're "optimistic." Right now I see 0 reasons to think that it will be anything but shit. I'm an optimistic guy. I like hoping for the best. So if someone can quote just one tidbit to make me optimistic about this game, my attitude will change in a second.

I see it like this. They say BG, it looks more or less like BG game, there is actual city, doesn't have NWN terrible tilesets and it seems that combat reminds of BG from quick look.
if it quacks, moves and looks like a duck chance is that this is a duck.

Chance is that recent releases of BG EE and other games in that genre moved some Hasbro idiots to put something that will look like game from that genre.
So far there isn't really anything that screams "fuck you". Time will tell, from first look it seems to be ok so i am "optimistic"

5th edition D&D is shit.

This is why their "adaptation of 5th edition" doesn't give me any emotions like some other dudes in this thread. 5th is shit and anything will be better than 5th, especially for RTwP game.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
One can hope that it's good but I will stay pessimistic for now.

Perkel

Arcane
How many Quickslots Baldurs Gate have?

all quickslots you need.
You had 0 to 5 or 3 i think as it depended on your class.
Still you had two fast (instead of quick) bars one for special skills and other for all spells
and third simply spellbook.

So if you had thief you had all necessary skills instead of fucking around with hovering toolbar like in NWN

Alchemist

Arcane
PCa87h0.png

Classic eh?
SH5nR6P.jpg

Is it really too much to ask that a D&D game be fricken turn-based like the actual ruleset!?? Now that we see this is what WotC has in store for a 5th Edition CRPG - I fear that Obsidian's potential upcoming Pathfinder CRPG is our last hope for a proper turn-based, single-player focused D&D game. Please Obsidian, if you're listening, make it turn-based! And with a toolset.

This Sword Coast thing might be "good for what it is" - but it's not going to be D&D.

imweasel

This game looks great!! RTwP goodness and the fantastic Forgotten Realms setting!

:takemymoney: :brodex: :takemyjewgold:

And it looks better than Josh Sawyer's Pillars of Excrement in every way too. :smug:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Is it really too much to ask that a D&D game be fricken turn-based like the actual ruleset!?? Now that we see this is what WotC has in store for a 5th Edition CRPG - I fear that Obsidian's potential upcoming Pathfinder CRPG is our last hope for a proper turn-based, single-player focused D&D game. Please Obsidian, if you're listening, make it turn-based! And with a toolset.

This Sword Coast thing might be "good for what it is" - but it's not going to be D&D.

Preach. I don't even particularly like the Pathfinder rules (mostly because I end up refereeing PnP games and I don't enjoy the bookkeeping aspects of it) but I'd happily play a turn-based game based on its rules. I really think these marketing grads masquerading as game executives, grossly underestimate the appeal there is in the turn-based gaming. Divinity Original Sin held the top spot on Steam for a month with only word of mouth marketing - there is an audience.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
To be serious for a moment, it seems generic but it doesn't look as bad as I expected and I might actually check it out after it launches if I've time left over from Pillars and all the other games that are coming out this year - plus all the good games from last year which I haven't played yet (so it doesn't seem all that likely that I'll have time for this, but who knows). Sort of looks like D:OS meets DA:O meets NWN2 - if they have a decent toolset (though I doubt they will), this could be the next NWN in terms of multi-player. That said, given the apparent focus on multi-player, I have fairly low expectations for the single-player campaign.

I do absolutely agree with Alchemist when it comes to RTWP - I'm not opposed to it in and of itself but it's a damn shame that a turn-based ruleset like D&D keeps getting distorted into RTWP games seemingly every single time. Definitely a "square peg in a round hole" type situation, methinks.

I really think these marketing grads masquerading as game executives, grossly underestimate the appeal there is in the turn-based gaming. Divinity Original Sin held the top spot on Steam for a month with only word of mouth marketing - there is an audience.
Yup. Frankly it is really weird big publishers don't have AAA turn based games in their portfolios. Everyone wants Skyrim numbers but strangely enough no one seems to care about even bigger Pokemon sales. General public is in no way prejudiced against turn based systems, why are publishers?

Perkel

Arcane
Wait... there is pathfinder Obsidian rpg in production ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom