Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Shadenuat

Arcane
Did you guys know that there used to be vanilla BG called Baldur's Gate The Original Saga on GOG, but they took it down completely replacing with EE and there's even portrait pack for EE for 2$ there for extra kicker?

Might be wrong on this but heard so.

Question is if it's not on GoG, how does one play actual vanilla if they want to?
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/61669/availability-of-original-games-on-gog-com
Ah thanks. Now my consciousness can rest easy. Not everything is rotten in the GOG state then.

But shit, seems like GoG only deal. No luck for steam users.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Did you guys know that there used to be vanilla BG called Baldur's Gate The Original Saga on GOG, but they took it down completely replacing with EE and there's even portrait pack for EE for 2$ there for extra kicker?

Might be wrong on this but heard so.

Question is if it's not on GoG, how does one play actual vanilla if they want to?
You can get a boxed set or pirate it.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
If you buy the EE version at GOG you can download the classic version.
But that would mean giving money the shysters at Beamdog.

chuft

Augur
Thinking about getting out my old discs, and trying a Baldur's Gate Trilogy (BGT) install.

The sheet number of mods, tweaks, fixpacks etc that have appeared online over the years is mindblowing.

I am wondering if I should use the BP-BGT Worldmap v10.2.3 with this. The terminology is confusing. It sounds like this map was for some giant megamod thing called Big Picture, which I think is now Big World, or something, but I have seen people recommend it for vanilla BGT. The COMPATIBILITY LIST FOR BGT-WeiDU says it is compatible with "Revised BP-BGT Worldmap v5 or above" but I can't find a "revised" one anywhere.

Wondering if anyone here uses this map? I can't seem to find a pic of what the default map in BGT looks like and how it compares to this BP-BGT Worldmap. Is the latter of any real use if you aren't using any of the big content mods?

I'm also not clear on the install order. I know the "megamod" comes before BGT and "all other mods" after it, but what about a map often used with the megamod?

Also considering trying Sword Coast Stratagems. I guess that would be installed after BGT.

I'd definitely rather play vanilla than end up with a bunch of bugs from mods, but I am hoping just a map and SCS wouldn't hurt, long as I can figure out what the install order is.

If there is a big content mod that has decent writing and no bugs that is recommended I'd enjoy hearing about it.

SniperHF

Arcane
Is it possible to disable mouse edge scrolling?

The sheet number of mods, tweaks, fixpacks etc that have appeared online over the years is mindblowing.

With most of those, you'll have the option of not installing or installing (with options) various portions of the tweaks / fixes too. Which can make it more confusing :P

I broke out the BG2 discs last week, not doing BGT.

You'll want to do the Tweak Anthology after BGT and the Fix pack, as what can be installed via the tweak anthology is affected by whether BGT is installed or not.

It think it would go Official Patches (don't forget :P) > Fix Pack > BGT > Tweak > SCS but I'm not an expert.

I dunno anything about the maps.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Thinking about getting out my old discs, and trying a Baldur's Gate Trilogy (BGT) install.

I am wondering if I should use the BP-BGT Worldmap v10.2.3 with this. The terminology is confusing. It sounds like this map was for some giant megamod thing called Big Picture, which I think is now Big World, or something, but I have seen people recommend it for vanilla BGT. The COMPATIBILITY LIST FOR BGT-WeiDU says it is compatible with "Revised BP-BGT Worldmap v5 or above" but I can't find a "revised" one anywhere.

Wondering if anyone here uses this map? I can't seem to find a pic of what the default map in BGT looks like and how it compares to this BP-BGT Worldmap. Is the latter of any real use if you aren't using any of the big content mods?

I'm also not clear on the install order. I know the "megamod" comes before BGT and "all other mods" after it, but what about a map often used with the megamod?

Also considering trying Sword Coast Stratagems. I guess that would be installed after BGT.

I'd definitely rather play vanilla than end up with a bunch of bugs from mods, but I am hoping just a map and SCS wouldn't hurt, long as I can figure out what the install order is.

If there is a big content mod that has decent writing and no bugs that is recommended I'd enjoy hearing about it.

I used the BP-BGT-Worldmap v1023 when playing BGT with Drizzt Saga & Region of Terror. I got as far as the elven camp, and when I tried to go back, the area wouldn't load. There was also a bug with ROT that gave me problems (and the mod is shit in general) so wouldn't bother with that again. I'm currently doing a 'powergaming' run with BGEE, to compare it with my last playthrough of classic BG. Install list looks like this:
BGT Worldmap
Stone of Askavar
Drizzt Saga
Dark Horizons
Sirens Call
Grey Clan
Thanlantyr Item Upgrade
Golem Construction
BG1 NPC Project

A7 Improved Archer
Bear Walker Kit
Animal COmpanions
The Artisan Kitpack

The Horde
BGEE Spawn Master

CDTweaks
Epic Thieving
Thrown Hammers
BG1 Unfinished Buisness
SCS

I'll update if I can finish BG1. It's all a bit of a clusterfuck. Project Infinity wouldn't launch for me (suspect antivirus problem) and I was planning on installing Darkside/Northern tales of the sword coast, but the links here: https://k4thos.github.io/EET-Compatibility-List/EET-Compatibility-List.html are not compatible with BGEE. I might try them on my next run.

The Artisan Kitpack is very good. A bit overpowered, but that's the purpose of this run anyway.

Cael

Arcane
Is there some kind of table with MORALE values of joinable NPCs?
Not that I am aware of, but the morale values are listed in their entries in most of the BG wiki type sites. Khalid is the worst with about 5 or 6, I think (higher is worse/more likely to run away).

chuft

Augur
Having weird problems after alt-tabbing in and out. Hoping it isn’t corrupting my saves somehow.

Jaheira has 32 hit points at level 1/1, with 259 experience. Hmmm.

Cael

Arcane
Having weird problems after alt-tabbing in and out. Hoping it isn’t corrupting my saves somehow.

Jaheira has 32 hit points at level 1/1, with 259 experience. Hmmm.
Jaheira starts at 2/2 when you first meet her in the FAA, IIRC, unless something had changed. She is the highest level of the early NPCs and has the most XP (about 2.2k in both classes).

Still shouldn't give her 32 HP, though... Maybe around 24-ish?

chuft

Augur
I am using the Sword Coast Stratagems tweaks and the Anthology Tweakpack and it lets you level them up from 0 when you meet them to pick their skills etc. But her XP total and hit points and levels still make no sense. This doesn’t seem to affect any other characters including Khalid who is a fighter/mage.

Maybe she’s the only character above level 1 that I’ve met so far? If so this bug may get worse as the game progresses.

Cael

Arcane
I am using the Sword Coast Stratagems tweaks and the Anthology Tweakpack and it lets you level them up from 0 when you meet them to pick their skills etc. But her XP total and hit points and levels still make no sense. This doesn’t seem to affect any other characters including Khalid who is a fighter/mage.

Maybe she’s the only character above level 1 that I’ve met so far? If so this bug may get worse as the game progresses.
Wait, does she have a familiar? Those add 12 hp to the caster.

I have never used those mods, so I have no idea.

chuft

Augur
No she is a Druid/Fighter.

I am using the tweak that lets you meet certain characters much earlier like Tiax, Eldoth and Viconia. It’s definitely making things more interesting. Not sure who I will want to end up in the party.

I let Xzar and Montaron stay dead once they got killed, as usual.

Cael

Arcane
No she is a Druid/Fighter.

I am using the tweak that lets you meet certain characters much earlier like Tiax, Eldoth and Viconia. It’s definitely making things more interesting. Not sure who I will want to end up in the party.

I let Xzar and Montaron stay dead once they got killed, as usual.
Not too sure, then. Find Familiar is the only spell I know that allows you to exceed your normal max hp. The other way is via equipment.

Viconia is just east of the FAA. I usually get her before even meeting J&K. I usually don't touch Tiax or Eldoth with a bargepole. The former is too batshit insane for me to want to deal with, the other usually dies by either fellow slime or Hamadryad.

chuft

Augur
Yes I used to snipe Viconia as well. But now you don’t have to, she’s on the road to Beregost. Same with Tiax and Eldoth.

Eldoth can use his bard song to negate Fear/broken morale which can be quite handy. Also free poison arrows. And pick pocketing.

Tiax can summon a ghast as a special ability. They are immune to Charm and Petrification and get multiple attacks per round and can paralyze.

I normally don’t take these characters either because they show up so late. Taking them at level 1 is quite different.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You meet them late because their innate abilities are overpowered. The ghast is ridiculous at lvl 1. Same with Coran and Alora. Alora has a huge luck bonus and Coran is illegal.

chuft

Augur
I am definitely not feeling “overpowered” so far using Sword Coast Stratagems. Eldoth and Imoen have both been Raised once already and Xzar/Monty are dead for good.

I’m not convinced a ghast once a day is worth giving up a Minsc or an Edwin. Jaheira irritates me so she and Khalid will probably get the boot at some point. Though him being a fighter/mage is somewhat interesting. Nobody can wear heavy armor but me.

chuft

Augur
Jaheira’s bugged 32 hit points are what allowed me to survive Karlat. Man he was tough.

Despite the fairly weak stats, Tiax is a decent companion. Having a Cleric/Thief is a great combination, as you really don't need a dedicated thief in BG. Their level progression isn't slowed down much by multi-classing, and the extra cleric is always handy in BG1. Tiax's ghoul ability is very strong early, but I wouldn't call it game breaking unless you have the meta knowledge to exploit it--like against basilisk or sirens. Even then, its HP is low enough to where you probably won't get much mileage on either foe.

I once did a "shorty" run with only dwarves, halflings, and gnomes. It was unusual, particularly with the personality mixes. Montoran, Kagain, Tiax, Quayle, Alora, and PC (gnome). Dysfunctional bunch that did not get along. Mechanically well covered, if a bit thief heavy, and no proper archer (very strong in BG1).

Tigranes

Arcane
Tiax will not be judged by your foolish standards of hit points and thaco! Tiax's greatness exceeds mortal comprehension!

You can already meta basilisks with the reflection potions, which aren't even particularly expensive. I'd say the ghoul is much more useful as durable cannon fodder, a free wand of summoning trading numbers for paralysis. But yeah, especially if you're running SCS, it's not particularly gamebreaking or anything.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
What's his ghoul ability? I never had him. How does it cheese basilisks?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Despite the fairly weak stats, Tiax is a decent companion. Having a Cleric/Thief is a great combination,

Worst combo possible, since a Cleric can't use backstabbing weapon. And in before "you can just equip the Staff of Ram".'

Tiax will not be judged by your foolish standards of hit points and thaco! Tiax's greatness exceeds mortal comprehension!

Tiax can do a thousand write-ups a day!

What's his ghoul ability? I never had him. How does it cheese basilisks?

Undead are immune to stoning.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Can't you backstab with summoned weapons (Shillelagh, Flame blade), or clubs? Or is it IWD? All the versions of IE blur to me after years of play I admit

chuft

Augur
Despite the fairly weak stats, Tiax is a decent companion. Having a Cleric/Thief is a great combination, as you really don't need a dedicated thief in BG.

The main problem I have is that Imoen is also a thief and has the best personality in the game. Plus I want her high level by the time I get to BG2.

And Eldoth is kind of a thief. I am really enjoying his comments. But at some point I am probably going to want Minsc, Ajantis and Edwin. No room for everybody. What to do.

I am a fighter who plans to dual class to a mage eventually once I get tons o' hit points.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom