Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bard's Tale The Bard's Tale Trilogy - remaster by Krome Studios

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I was under the impression that importing was breaking for these games.

In that case maybe I should just start bt3 over with full-imported partay from bt2 while I'm still not particularly far in.

It made BT2 dull (far too easy).
Not sure about BT3, though. I guess it depends on how much you grinded in BT2.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
It never occurred to me that this game was designed for high level imported characters from BTII in its early lvls. Now it makes sense why the first dungeon was so difficult and why you're suddenly given an increase of 20+ levels after that first dungeon which I thought was rather odd and had never encountered before in an RPG. One thing I did enjoy that you never see in western RPGs was its Pokemon mechanic of capturing monsters and making them join your party for as long as you wanted them or they were killed. It was fun... at least for a little while.

Incendax

Augur
Well shit. Songs don’t stack out of combat.
And I have to leave the tavern for someone else to get a drink?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I ended up restarting with an imported party, and it sure was a good idea - suddenly everything became much more manageable.

I'm currently going for the last (?) realm since I've just finished the time travel realm (lol ruski soldiers; that level was super low-effort though). It's a pretty silly game all in all, and the amount of harmonic gems it spams you with all the time is p. ludicrous. Can just wombo-combo mangar's mallets in every fight without giving a damn because you'll be getting the gems faster than you can ever hope to run out of mana.

Still, as a mindless map-painter, BT3 is alright. Deffo much better than BT2, mostly because it's much less annoying - fewer bullshit instakills, no bullshit "full darkness" levels, and with the harmonic gem spam you can just fuck everything and keep teleporting through the maps and around all the spinners and whatever other crap. I also like the added two caster classes that you can switch to at the start and the middle of the game, even if they are pretty silly/overly convenient in themselves - a spell to cure oldness and another one to detect all anti-magic zones are deffo much welcome however.

Nevertheless, I'm deffo never coming back to this series. Easily the worst/dumbest klassik rpgs I've played to date, and I'd say only the first one is on the whole any good and not completely stupid.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I wonder how long I would have continued playing BT2 had I not lost my saved games. I was about maybe 1/3 of the way in. Yeah, all in all, I'd say the first one was the best because I actually finished it and it didn't feel like a slog.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Was the final boss of BT3 always this fucking retarded? Guy starts at 90 feet away, has to be killed by a rogue's backstab (at 20), is more or less immune to all magic so there's no sense trying to cast melee men on him, and in turn he keeps casting sandstorm all the fucking time to propel himself back to 90.

Am I missing something or is this total roulette? The only way of resolving this that I can see is praying hard to RNGesus that he doesn't cast sandstorm 8 turns in a row so you can advance safely and shank him, and the odds of that are very low to say the least.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I don't recall any particular problems with the original (+UOP) version.
The Rogue should be able to advance separately (Hide in Shadow first), and then backstab him, which is why the game is called Thief of fate.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Yeah, you just keep creep creep creeping your rogue further & further ahead, hiding in the shadows (20' then 30' then 40' then 50' and so on and so on), until he's basically behind your troublesome foe, and then...

It might take 5-10 rounds to do it but the important thing is you do manage to do it. There was an earlier boss in BT3 invulnerable to magic that you had to defeat in the same way, I believe, so at least the game introduces that mechanic well before the ending.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Yeah, you just keep creep creep creeping your rogue further & further ahead

Either that or the rogue keeps growing 10 feet longer arms with each turn.

There was an earlier boss in BT3 invulnerable to magic that you had to defeat in the same way, I believe, so at least the game introduces that mechanic well before the ending.

Nothing like this ever happened to me. Maybe they removed it in the remaster or something?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Yeah, you just keep creep creep creeping your rogue further & further ahead

Either that or the rogue keeps growing 10 feet longer arms with each turn.

There was an earlier boss in BT3 invulnerable to magic that you had to defeat in the same way, I believe, so at least the game introduces that mechanic well before the ending.

Nothing like this ever happened to me. Maybe they removed it in the remaster or something?

No, it was in the Remaster. Never played the originals. A boss kept casting Sandstorm and blowing your party further and further away. These old RPGs are fairly large (though nothing... I repeat NOTHING seems as fucking large as Pathfinder Kingmaker) so it's possible to miss whole areas, I guess, and still complete the game. I certainly missed a few in Dragon Wars. However, I felt BT3 was unexpectedly linear so I'm surprised you missed it. I didn't think it was optional and thought you might have needed that encounter to progress. But I don't metagame or ever replay these things so I don't exactly know how important it was or even much about that boss.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Considering I lawnmowed the entire game and all the maps, it's very unlikely that I somehow missed this boss. I vaguely remember some asshole who used to cast sandstorm every now and again, but I deffo didn't kill him with stacked stealth, so maybe I got lucky and managed to advance to him legit up to 20' and shank him with the rogue then.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Bard's Tale 1
Finally got around to finishing this. I started this before the legacy options were available, but I did impose a challenge on myself to only allow saving at the Adventurer's Guild, and I kept to that the whole game.

I defeated Mangar in the most cowardly and unherolike way possible, with my thief slowly sneaking his way up to him round by round and then stabbing him in the back for a one-hit kill critical lolz. The exp award for finishing the game boosted my melee characters all up to level 27 or so, but I went with the moderate transfer option to drop them down to 24.

It was a fun game, and I might consider revisiting it some day with some the Legacy options enabled.

My biggest disappointment with this one was the dungeons, as not a single level had anything remotely memorable about it (I can still clearly recall many of the dungeon layouts from Wiz 1). They seemed to be just rooms and corridors randomly placed all over the map.

My second biggest disappointment was the combat. Once you first develop a powerful spellcaster it can be fun to annihilate 99 Ghouls or whatever on Turn 1, but by the mid game your melee characters are completely useless. Combat is so mindless by the end, that I ended up running from probably 90% of the encounters in Mangar's Tower.

Oh well, still better than BT4.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I thought the dungeon design in BT1 was the best part. I have to give kudos to Michael Cranford for his sometimes diabolical dungeon design that challenged your skills as a player in hardcore cRPGs and the requirement of good mapping to find those important areas, items and bosses that were so well-hidden at times.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Personally I didn't think much of the wrap-around maps in BT1; that was too abstract and gamey even for my taste.
But I loved Cranford's mapping challenges, especially in BT2.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Personally I didn't think much of the wrap-around maps in BT1; that was too abstract and gamey even for my taste.
But I loved Cranford's mapping challenges, especially in BT2.

Well, you played BT1 hardcore/oldschool, my man... with graph paper. I could never do that and would find all those spinners/teleporters a nightmare and I would have almost certainly ragequit like I did when I attempted to play BT3 on my old beloved C64 years ago. But with the nice QoL enhancements that Krome Studios put in, those wrap-around dungeons were fun and yet challenging and weren't such an annoying & tedious time sink.

bloodlover

Arcane
Hello. Is The Bard's Tale Trilogy any fun? I haven;t played the originals back in the day and most of my experience with blobbers comes from Might and Magic or Wizardry 8. I read that it's a bit simplistic and the story is meh but that wouldn't be a problem as long as it shines in different areas. Thanks.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
It's fun if you like navigational challenges and non-stop random encounters.
But don't look for story or realism.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom