Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Eye of the Beholder Thread

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Crichton said:
In 2nd edition D&D games, multi-class fighter/mage and multi-class fighter/cleric are head and shoulders at the top of the heap
Not in EOB. Multiclassing your spellcasters means never getting any of the good spells and therefore making your multiclassed spellcasters completely useless. And only the front 2 chars can attack in EOB1-2 anyway (even in EOB3, where 2nd rank can attack, they need polearms). Mighty Mouse's party is the most balanced, but you can replace the Paladin with a Figher, and even drop the Thief levels and get 2 front line pure fighters. There are only a few locks that need to be lockpicked (most locks in 2 and 3 need keys anyway) but if you want to get all items without using NPCs then just get his party. Not using NPCs is recommended anyway as they add nothing to the game and leech away precious XP.

There are a couple of NPCs (2 IIRC in EOB1) that you may want to take along for plot purposes, but you can drop them after they've done their part.

Mighty Mouse said:
Thieves can picklocks, but all locks have keys.
Not all of them.

Luzur

Good Sir
DaveO said:
You won't get thru all three Eye of the Beholder games with any party. The really bad quality of the third installment guarantees it.

its true, EoB III is the game stopper.

Annie Mitsoda

Digimancy Entertainment
Developer
Never bother putting fighters in the back row. Motherfuckers just throw rocks.

Fighter in front. Fighter/cleric or maybe fighter/ranger in 2nd slot.
Mage/cleric and mage/thief in back. Picking locks comes in handy, but for crap's sake don't bother focusing on it.

GOD it's been a long time since I played those goddamn games. But I definitely remember that was basically the loadout I used every single time.

(shit now I want to play them again... I heard of someone actually remaking them as a NWN2 mod and I went nuts at the thought. I'd so love that)

Zomg

Arbiter
Sceptic said:
There are a couple of NPCs (2 IIRC in EOB1) that you may want to take along for plot purposes, but you can drop them after they've done their part.

Eh, the dwarf prince guy in particular in EoB 1 has really good stats that you either have to cheat to get on one of your fighters or spend like 30 minutes rolling characters to get (which is like cheating except also idiotic). I can't remember the rest but I think there are a couple of others like that and more in EoB 2. You can dump your original characters if you want to stay with a party size of four.

Topher

Cipher
I ended up taking the party I mentioned earlier a fighter/thief, ranger/cleric, pure mage and pure cleric; now they're the party I'm using for my Let's Play.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Zomg said:
really good stats that you either have to cheat to get on one of your fighters or spend like 30 minutes rolling characters to get
Or click the "Modify" button :smug:

Luzur

Good Sir
Annie Carlson said:
(shit now I want to play them again... I heard of someone actually remaking them as a NWN2 mod and I went nuts at the thought. I'd so love that)

but, didnt that mod die?

Black Cat

Magister
Two warriors in the front, wizard and cleric in the back is the best party. You can just revive one of the previous adventurers when you reach the dwarven stronghold if you think you'll need a thief.

DemonKing

Arcane
In any case one of the neat things about the EoB series, other than being able to throw a spear down a corridor and run forward to have it hit you in the back of the head, is that there are plenty of interesting new party members you can pick up along the way - don't forget to cast raise dead/ressurrection on any bones that you find! I don't think I finished the series with any of the original party-members I started with!

EOB II > EOB > EOBIII (although from memory I didn't find #3 *that* terrible - but maybe I just wasn't very discriminating "back in the day").

DaveO

Erudite
For EoB #3, the best experience you can get is at the beginning of the game fighting undead. The sound is really off since you can hear undead from what seems like miles away. There should have been no option to create such a high level party since the game really offers little challenge. Since there is no way the OP is going to finish EoB3, I'll slightly spoil the ending by saying there is a Big Bad that you're best dealing with using the Time Stop spell.

Jim Profit

Educated
Jaesun said:
It's fucking D&D. All you ever need is Warrior Mage Thief Cleric.
This. And if it was 3rd edition... all you'd need was the cleric... lulz!!!

But yeah, If you want to "gish" your party you can go ahead and take variants. (Paladin=warrior and cleric, but never excells at either for example) But wholly if you want a balanced party to get you through the dungeon, you'll go with the recommended. That's why it's reccomended, because it's n00b friendly...

Archibald

Arcane
Wich version is considered "definitive"?

Also, was third part any good due to new developer?

Archibald

Arcane
By version i mean was dos version better or snes(or was it nes?) better? I`m not sure but it might have bean proted to something else too.

hanssolo

Educated
DOS, definitely. though there's one for the gameboy advance that has goldbox style combat.

Mortmal

Arcane
Amiga one ! or dos vga and soundblaster,if you are into pricey rigs.

made

Arcane
As always: DOS looks better (more colors, but lower res), Amiga sounds better.

Many people are too stupid to set up Amiga emulation however, and there is no port of #3 so go with DOS if you want to carry over your party.

hanssolo

Educated
made said:
As always: DOS looks better (more colors, but lower res), Amiga sounds better.

Many people are too stupid to set up Amiga emulation however, and there is no port of #3 so go with DOS if you want to carry over your party.

actually

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom