Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale The Icewind Dale Series Thread

Tigranes

Arcane
Scorcher is great if you move around with it, yeah - it's quite common to be able to tie up enemies in melee and then sweep them from the flanks with it, and it means you can reliably do higher damage than many other options early on.

Web in IE games I would argue is super-useful even without Free Action. Ranged weapons are good in IWD (not as much as BG1 maybe) early levels and at any rate you can tie up half of the enemy group as you like. Hard to imagine not using it.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
So I used quite different tactics from Lilura who swears by Web. Since I don't pickpocket in CRPGs I never had access to permanent Free Action, and thus rarely used Web myself.

I almost never use the Web spell, especially after getting access to Haste. Free Action negates Haste, and in Infinity Engine games Haste is superior to Web tactics when it comes to finishing off the fights fast.

agris

Arcane
Patron
gunman that statement is heavily dependent on how hard and frequent your enemies hit. High damage melee enemies are best kept at bay by web / AoE immobilization (grease even), whereas hordes of JV team are best addressed by haste.

There is no one size fits all, unless you’ve done something to remove all difficulty.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Web in IE games I would argue is super-useful even without Free Action. Ranged weapons are good in IWD (not as much as BG1 maybe) early levels and at any rate you can tie up half of the enemy group as you like. Hard to imagine not using it.

I used Entangle quite a bit when my Ranger aquired the Entange-proof boots.

Overall I think it's harder to use AoE spells in IWD since enemies move faster than in BG1 (unless I'm imagining things). Usually I'd rather try to find a bottleneck where one or two characters could defend.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Time to lift this thread up.

let's face it: ol' Cappen has an amulet that wards against magic and could've solo'd the game, but let the two fellas fresh from winning some sort of a "depth's gambit" (ha! good fun) tag along since he's nice that way

they also know that a jug (or ten) of fortified wine goes a long way when you want to make friends, and the North is a spiny cold place that civilized people only tolerate when properly fortified

and yes: thieves world doesn't count compared to - the one, the only, the original Cappen and his VALOR - the stats you used are good enough but if you met ol' Cappen in a bar you'd realize they do not - i repeat, friend: DO NOT - do him justice (not even pale justice, honestly)

also, have i introduced you to my good friend Jorian of Ardamai yet? the timelines are a bit of a hassle to track these days

octavius

Arcane
Patron
let's face it: ol' Cappen has an amulet that wards against magic and could've solo'd the game,

Yes, I guess should have given him some innate magic resistance when editing his stats.

and yes: thieves world doesn't count compared to - the one, the only, the original Cappen and his VALOR - the stats you used are good enough but if you met ol' Cappen in a bar you'd realize they do not - i repeat, friend: DO NOT - do him justice (not even pale justice, honestly)

Well, for a character who survived his encounter with a Troll witch more by luck and bravado than intelligence, 17 Int is quite generous.

also, have i introduced you to my good friend Jorian of Ardamai yet? the timelines are a bit of a hassle to track these days

I'm unfamiliar with that name. Maybe there's a place for him in my next S&S themed party?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I almost never use the Web spell, especially after getting access to Haste. Free Action negates Haste, and in Infinity Engine games Haste is superior to Web tactics when it comes to finishing off the fights fast.

Only peasants take damage. :obviously:

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, if you play old version of the game (probably on core rules too), before Sawyer completely rebalanced it, patching out overpowered items and changing all notable fights to become harder, I guess 0-damage run is possible.
Even Yuxinomei was easy in original, before 3 mages buffed with Stoneskin and protection vs Missles were added to spawn behind your back.

I wonder if in 15 years someone will be proud about being best authority on internet about PoE 1.0...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Well, if you play old version of the game (probably on core rules too), before Sawyer completely rebalanced it, patching out overpowered items and changing all notable fights to become harder, I guess 0-damage run is possible.
Even Yuxinomei was easy in original, before 3 mages buffed with Stoneskin and protection vs Missles were added to spawn behind your back.

But the expansion has the War Chant of the Sith, so...

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
But the expansion has the War Chant of the Sith, so...
I kinda barely use it even in ultra-rare cases when I have Bard in the party...

I played ungodly amount of original IWD (first disk with RPG that ended up in my hands) but I must say that going back to it pretty disappointing after HoW - everything was changed, from adding "call for help" mechanics to AI and caster's prebuff to enemy numbers everywhere. Presio, for example has extra people in her room and couple of apprentices with army of poisonous zombies coming up from the side passage after fight starts, and difference with the original, where she dies to the first volley in her direction is drastic.

My go-to experience right now is mostly Insane or HoF with addon, even if I tend to skip Trials of Luremaster content completely.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Someone help me out real quick. Are there any must have graphic update mods for IWD 2 that I can grab in regards to UI, widescreen, resolution, etc?

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Someone help me out real quick. Are there any must have graphic update mods for IWD 2 that I can grab in regards to UI, widescreen, resolution, etc?

Play with the original resolution, unless you want your game to look like that:

Where the UI is cut half off. Besides that, original resolution IE games look really good anyway. No need to go full 1080p.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron

Play with the original resolution, unless you want your game to look like that:

Where the UI is cut half off. Besides that, original resolution IE games look really good anyway. No need to go full 1080p.

Infinitron was kind enough to link me this thread, where I found this post.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...tion-and-fixes-questions.124702/#post-6163867
Hopefully after I follow the instructions everything will be good.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Alright, so I downloaded everything and the GUI is fitted to the screen and the resolution is a nice 1280x800. The only problem now is that the game seems to run really poorly? My mouse is constantly teleporting around the screen like I'm having major drops in FPS, and when I try to move around, I get the same strangely choppy feeling. Anyone have any idea why this is the case?

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
You're not running this on an old laptop from the 2000's, are you?

And did you install anything else besides the GUI mod?

The only time I ever had performance problems in IE games was, when scripts for monsters, or the party were seriously malfunctioning.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Alright, so I downloaded everything and the GUI is fitted to the screen and the resolution is a nice 1280x800. The only problem now is that the game seems to run really poorly? My mouse is constantly teleporting around the screen like I'm having major drops in FPS, and when I try to move around, I get the same strangely choppy feeling. Anyone have any idea why this is the case?
your GPU isn't detecting that it's a game, i'm 99% sure you're in downclocked desktop mode. it's a pretty common problem with the IE games. you'll have to look into how to force your card to wake up when the game runs.

Krivol

Magister
You're not running this on an old laptop from the 2000's, are you?

And did you install anything else besides the GUI mod?

The only time I ever had performance problems in IE games was, when scripts for monsters, or the party were seriously malfunctioning.

I had some problems with sluggish gameplay few years ago (on decent deck). Not sure if it was a problem with win 8 or sth. Some fixes fixed it ;)

hell bovine

Arcane
I had a similar issue, used this:
http://www.bitpatch.com/ie_ddrawfix.html
with the set up from this thread:
https://af.gog.com/forum/icewind_dale_series/how_to_run_iwd_2_on_windows_10?as=1649904300
and it helped.

Last edited by a moderator:

Melcar

Arcane
IWD2 was always sluggish from what I remember (original CD release in Windows). Got especially bad in large battles. I played it again a couple of years ago with much beefier hardware and the experience was pretty much the same.

Nas92

Augur
I decided to try Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition and immediately encountered a weird bug. I created my characters and played a little around with one of the character's biographies. Next time I loaded up my game, every single character in my party had the standard Bhaalspawn biography from BG2. What causes this bug? Is the game still this unstable after all these years?

Krivol

Magister
I decided to try Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition and immediately encountered a weird bug. I created my characters and played a little around with one of the character's biographies. Next time I loaded up my game, every single character in my party had the standard Bhaalspawn biography from BG2. What causes this bug? Is the game still this unstable after all these years?

OMG Beamdog at their best :D. Funny thing is that ID was IMO the best candidate for EE - additional classes and useful twixes for combat heavy game sounds ok. But they did it so wrongly... (sub-classes - so great inare extremly unbalanced in low-lvl DnD game and bugs, bugs, bugs).

First time playing Icewind Dale 2, i just created my all strong and independent female party:

3NEPnUy.png

8D8kF8T.png

HzRl5yX.png

KrJWcGP.png

KBocjnb.png

GMju5PY.png

It's hot as fuck where i live so i had to put the fan right in front of my face to simulate the coldness of winter,for immersion purposes.

Looks promising so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom