Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale The Icewind Dale Series Thread

Sreggin Etah I You should avoid the EE if you have access to the original; it completely trivializes the game’s difficulty.

Edit: Derp I’m dumb. Completely missed the “2” in your post. Hope you enjoy the game. It’s very uneven, but has some high highs.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
First time playing Icewind Dale 2, i just created my all strong and independent female party:

3NEPnUy.png

8D8kF8T.png

HzRl5yX.png

KrJWcGP.png

KBocjnb.png

GMju5PY.png

It's hot as fuck where i live so i had to put the fan right in front of my face to simulate the coldness of winter,for immersion purposes.

Looks promising so far.

I'd only sleep with 2/6 of them. Don't think any really scored high on the 'Ms Icewind Dale' contest.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
First time playing Icewind Dale 2, i just created my all strong and independent female party:

3NEPnUy.png

8D8kF8T.png

HzRl5yX.png

KrJWcGP.png

KBocjnb.png

GMju5PY.png

It's hot as fuck where i live so i had to put the fan right in front of my face to simulate the coldness of winter,for immersion purposes.

Looks promising so far.

I'd only sleep with 2/6 of them. Don't think any really scored high on the 'Ms Icewind Dale' contest.

It's been a while since I played the original - if I remember correctly the install order was: IWD > HOW > TOTL and the patches were not needed?. I suppose it couldn't hurt to install the HOW patch before TOTL though.

It's been a while since I played the original - if I remember correctly the install order was: IWD > HOW > TOTL and the patches were not needed?. I suppose it couldn't hurt to install the HOW patch before TOTL though.

No idea, i got my game from GOG years ago before the "enhanced" bullshit, i didn't even know that there's a second expansion, in my playthrough of IWD1 i skipped Heart of winter and did the main campaign only.

Shit ! i shouldn't have skipped the expansions,this looks good:

8829_kydpf1rdftpsex38lmia.jpg

98348-icewind-dale-heart-of-winter-trials-of-the-luremaster-windows.jpg

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Heart of Winter has some amazing sceneries to offer and is definitely worth a playthrough. Trials of the Luremaster is a bit of a slog to go through and it's not that memorable, but it still has a couple of interesting encounters.

Melcar

Arcane
No idea, i got my game from GOG years ago before the "enhanced" bullshit, i didn't even know that there's a second expansion, in my playthrough of IWD1 i skipped Heart of winter and did the main campaign only.

That's the Trials expansion expansion. The actual HoW bit is rather short.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

HoW got a lot of flak at release for being too short, but imo that criticism was overblown; for comparison, it’s not noticeably shorter than an average Fallout 1 run. It’s also almost certainly the single most challenging campaign in the IE games, and I would argue the best written excepting Torment.

Trials is fine. Worth a playthrough, but fairly forgettable and narratively unsatisfying.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It was a nice gesture making an extra expansion and giving it to folks for free and it was an ok dungeon crawl. Although I found it to be assrape with no lube on heart of fury, but I think I may have gone too early.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
I think the intended play order was always: IWD > import to HoW, beat HoW > import characters again, start HoW, go to Trials. Trials was just awkwardly implemented because it's a mini expansion for an expansion. You can go Trials > HoW, but Trials is harder and gives tons of XP from what I remember.
HoW also has some of the best looking maps of all IE games, and that's even compared to vanilla IWD and IWD2.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
IIRC HoW was quite badly balanced, though. The Burial Isle is absolutely brutal, but then there's a long stretch where you mow down trolls like they were goblins.
I will replay HoW later this year, so it will be interesting so see how accurate my memory of the game is.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
I think they released TOTL because HOW was so short, and there was much butthurt & complaining.

Edit: So (Sawyer?) released a free expansion that caused much more butthurt and complaining.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think they released TOTL because HOW was so short, and there was much butthurt & complaining.

Edit: So (Sawyer?) released a free expansion that caused much more butthurt and complaining.
Thinking that back then Heart of Winter was "too short", while now I would gladly buy at full price an expansion with a single area in it and 2 hours of gameplay makes me a bit sad.

Dramart That depends. Original or EE? What character level?

Early
Level 1: Sleep, Charm, Color Spray
Level 2: Horror, Mirror Image, Stinking Cloud, Web

Later:
Level 1: Charm, Chromatic Orb, Magic Missile
Level 2: Mirror Image, Web

Aganazzar's Scorcher gets an honorable mention if you use it correctly. Sorcerers don't have the luxury of changing their spellbooks, so you'll want to select spells that maintain utility through mid and end game, causing you to avoid spells like Sleep & Color Spray. Also note, that Icewind Dale features a fair amount of undead. These creatures will not be affected by most spells from the Enchantment and Illusion schools.

Dramart

Learned
Sleep is a really good first level spell. Color spray can be bomb.
And which is better in the longrun, chromatic orb or magic missile or melf's acid arrow?

Early

Later:

Aganazzar's Scorcher gets an honorable mention if you use it correctly. Sorcerers don't have the luxury of changing their spellbooks, so you'll want to select spells that maintain utility through mid and end game, causing you to avoid spells like Sleep & Color Spray.

Yeah that's what I want spells that can be useful in late game too, I fucked up with color spray. Horror is good. Thanks I'll use your tips.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

What resolution is that, and what monitor? I would love my IWD to look like this.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Ugh, fuck. I don’t have a CRT but I can set my resolution to 800x600. I think it’s missing crisp.

Dramart

Learned

Early

Later:

Aganazzar's Scorcher gets an honorable mention if you use it correctly. Sorcerers don't have the luxury of changing their spellbooks, so you'll want to select spells that maintain utility through mid and end game, causing you to avoid spells like Sleep & Color Spray. Also note, that Icewind Dale features a fair amount of undead. These creatures will not be affected by most spells from the Enchantment and Illusion schools.
It's Icewind Dale II a level 5 sorcerer. Sleep affect foes with 2d4 hit points, not good I believe. But maybe it can be useful in the goblin fortress. I guess I will search how many spells of level one a sorcerer can learn until, level 12 at least, and then decide if sleeps is convenient.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Screenshot (23).png

Screenshot (21).png

My PC is at 800x600 resolution and IWD is 640x480 Windowed but it still doesn't look like the CRT, I don't know any other settings to influence this.

smaug

Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
My sprites are terrible looking, though I don’t know why.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom