Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

The Outer Worlds - Obsidian's new first-person sci-fi RPG from Cain & Boyarsky - coming October 25th

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by DosBuster, Dec 14, 2017.

1. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron

JarlFrank
    Secret Lab of the Warrior-Magus of Esoteric RPGism
    So it's essentially a participation award.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 8
    • Yes Yes x 4
    ^ Top  
  2. Daedalos Arcane The Real Fanboy

Daedalos
    That would be retarded, since TV shows wins the same EMMY award every year. Most likely because the product is consistently good, not because of some political agenda. Best product gets the best prize is how it should be.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • "It was Aliens" "It was Aliens" x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. toro Arcane

toro
    fextralife

^ Top  
  4. jf8350143 Learned

jf8350143
    And those superficial players' opinion matters because?

^ Top  
  5. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Sure,that is why i am on the codex,his opinion is irrelevant for the codex not for the sheeple. Thus making it pointless to be put in here.:obviously:

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. The Dutch Ghost Learned

The Dutch Ghost
    Well so much for this guy's opinion. Shows you shouldn't trust anyone on Youtube.

As for The Outer Worlds, I honestly can't give a fuck any more. And I am not saying this to be edgy. (most of the games of the 2010's barely manage to make an emotional impact on me any more as I have become so jaded)
    Just another example of how I have been putting too much value on particular game designers/artists that once created something that I hold close and dear (before a bunch of retarded frat boys got their hands on it and ruined it and still get praise for it by mouth breathing imbeciles).

Even if the stupid Epic debacle might not have happened I would probably not have bought this game at the launch. Like others here have pointed out it looks way to much like Borderlands, Rage 2, Bioshock, No Man's Sky, so it is not the looks that really appeal to me.
    It would really have to come from the content itself, the storyline, characters and so on and I have so far not heard anything that makes me think "Wow I really want to explore this world, meet the people in it, and discovery its history and secrets." Just another plot about a corporation up to no good and its target this time being a colony on some distant planet.

Well the plot twist could be that the corporation is actually the good guy or just another neutral side in this matter, beneficial to some, oppressive to others. But I doubt it.
    I have honestly become a sarcastic asshole.

• Despair Despair x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Politician Lurker King

Politician
    Because they are indicative of whether the game will be successful or not.

It's not pointless if you want to know whether the game is going to be successful or not. Unless, of course, the Codex has millions of players willing to buy the game.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Meh,don't care about that shit. All i care is if the game up to codex standards and good.

^ Top  
  9. jf8350143 Learned

jf8350143
    They are the ones that decides whether the game sells well or not, not successful or not.

Otherwise Planescape: Torment is a shit game, VTMB is a shit game, and Pathfinder Kingmaker and Deadfire combined are not as good as Mass Effect Andromeda.

• No No x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe

• decline decline x 3
    • incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. FreeKaner Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

FreeKaner
    This game is 10 years too late. All of this, retrofuturistic space frontier thing, has been done to death now by mainly borderlands but also some other games. This one just doesn't seem unique enough to shine in that. Really disappointed in lack of artstyle.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. pomenitul Learned

pomenitul
    The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

Is there any thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been already of old time, which was before us.

There is no remembrance of former things; neither shall there be any remembrance of things that are to come with those that shall come after.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. c2007 Savant

c2007
    Uh....

Between the acklay-looking Mantiqueen and the mushroom forest rip from Felucia, I half expected Aayla Secura to jump out from behind a tree and ask if we wanted to go see the New Twisted Rancor Trio.

I'm not much an artfag, but I do expect something unique. Perhaps this subgenre has been over-mined at this point, which personally would be a bit of a gut check.

:|

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Politician Lurker King

Politician
    It is pretty obvious that the game will be a failure. The only thing that is still worth to discuss is whether it is going to sell.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    Your newly found hatred for everything Obsidian-made aside, the game definitely has an artstyle (and not even a bad one at that) but a poorly realized one. As we have all agreed upon - this looks something like New Vegas, and that game wasn't pretty too look at even 10 years ago, let alone nowadays. Realistically looking graphics age badly over time no matter what, but you can pull it off if you're cutting edge at the moment. This game isn't, and Obsidian should have gone for a highly stylized look ala Dishonored. Unfortunately, they seem to be lacking in that department.

P.S. add terrible faces, animations and disgusting use of colors as well

• decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. SpaceWizardz Learned

SpaceWizardz
    MS is gonna use it to push their new Windows Games store and PC game pass.
    They're gonna dangle that $1/month pricetag and sink their claws into all these new customers that don't want to wait or use EGS.

^ Top  
  18. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    People seem so focused on REEing at this game's art direction that they're ignoring potentially interesting design aspects like the disguises mechanic Duraframe posted about two pages ago.

Maybe that's another thing that makes this game like Fallout: New Vegas, which was seen by many as a pathetic Fallout 3 asset flip before its qualities were realized.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    • Brofist x 5
    • meh x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Button x 1
    • Participation Award x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. undecaf Arcane Patron

undecaf
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    That's what modern times have done to people. The games are so blindingly shiny and scratch that uncanny valley itch, that they obfuscate the underlying design and gameplay.

Of course that usually happens to developers too, so it's really a zero sum game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. FreeKaner Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

FreeKaner
    I expected something better than the outdated gamebyro of 2010. I was aware that the graphic fidelity would not be great but there is no coherent artstyle. I do not care about graphic fidelity for the most part.

Alpha protocol looks better than this. VTMB looks better too.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Quillon Cipher

Quillon

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Excellent. That'll be the full version of the gameplay demo we've seen in these Boyarsky interviews, the one described in the previews I've posted and hopefully without people talking over it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
    Isn't E3 Coliseum another interview spot? I haven't seen full gameplay demos there yet.

^ Top  
  24. Duraframe300 Arcane

Duraframe300
    No, there won't.

For the simple reason that they played differently through the quest in each presentation they did during the day. As mentioned by easyallies.
    If you read the previews that also becomes obvious with some talking about the disguise, some the sewers some.... and so on.

Edit: (Of course, 90% will probably be similiar/the same)

• meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    Long overdue. We had that (although in a more primitive way) in Hitman and even in previous Fallout titles as well. I hope talking your way out of the situation can be done not only with skill/attribute checks, but with info gathering and bribes as well.

That, however, doesn't change the fact that the game looks offputting. You either:

a) go for realism and deliver top-notch graphics if you have the funds/talent
    b) go for highly stylized graphics which hide the low-poly models and bland textures (Dishonored)
    c) move the camera angle far away and create a turn-based game (Wasteland 3)

Having FPS only combat and zoom-in dialog faces with shitty outdated graphics isn't really the smartest move and shouldn't get a free pass over and over again just because it's Obsidian.
    I hope someone in Microsoft takes control over their next project and introduces some basic fucking sense to the decision-making process.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)