Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

LudensCogitet

Learned
It is hard to trust his judgement when the first thing he says is
The Outer Worlds is the game you get when the original Fallout and Deus Ex have a baby.
Followed immediately by calling it a damn good game and comparing its story to Witcher 2.
This guy does what I've seen everywhere: says words that make the game sound like exactly what it should be (at least at the beginning of the review) but have nothing to do with the substance of the game itself.

Quillon

Arcane
Rewatched the beginning again, guess I really tuned in around when he was talking about game length, now that I see he parroted good shit about the game like most others at the beginning but from there on he echoes what we've been complaining about for 20 mins. Tho structurally the comparisons ain't so wrong(other than Witcher 2, wtf), what's strange is he compares the games etc then says the game is so much fun but when he starts to talk about the game you don't get the idea that he had much fun. Seen this in Angry Joe's review also; their review talk sounded like for a game they'd normally give 6/10 but in the end they all gave it 8s.

I think it gets harder to play mediocre games after you become an oldfag. Decades ago, I might have toiled through Outer Worlds, in the same spirit of meh as Ass Effect, Dragon Ass: Obgyn, or Pooplivion, but now I just don't care. It's harder to get into these things unless they offer something interesting, be it just one thing really well done (say writing in Disco Disco or survival/basebuilding in 7 Days to Die).

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I think it gets harder to play mediocre games after you become an oldfag. Decades ago, I might have toiled through Outer Worlds, in the same spirit of meh as Ass Effect, Dragon Ass: Obgyn, or Pooplivion, but now I just don't care. It's harder to get into these things unless they offer something interesting, be it just one thing really well done (say writing in Disco Disco or survival/basebuilding in 7 Days to Die).
I kind of disagree,i don't have problem with mediocre games,as long as they have something unique and interesting,now i am plying Planet Alcatraz and am having a blast. I also managed to play trough mediocre shit like mad max and rage 2. But this one just boring and fucking soulless,fuck i did the dishes in mid dialogue lol. It feels like an empty conveyor belt,corporate shit can.

Cerulean

Cipher
I'll never understand YouTubers like the above, who seriously need to learn how to edit. 1 hour and 37 minutes? There are movies shorter than that.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The Outer Worlds won IGN's Best RPG of 2019:
And that should be a surprise to nobody. Who the fuck would expect something else? They are pretty obsolete at this point,going the way of the mechinema. 12 million subs yet getting around 100k for their more popular videos,only trailer make big view counts,but i don't know if they have ads.

Last edited:
most of self-respecting human beings once they taste good food don't want to go back eating shit.

should've been Disco.
When it comes to popularity contests, the one with the most players win.
if american teen movies taught me anything, is that you can be as beautiful and caring and kind and smart as you want, but the queen is going to be that angry cunt who spent the last month bribing and selling her ass for votes.

I was in a Best Buy recently, looking to buy some electronics, and they had Outer Worlds playing on their TVs. And that, my friends, is how you know Obsidian is officially dead.

frajaq

Erudite
I miss when games had good writing bros...

qsyxX0E.png

The Real Fanboy
"We have our own chocolate variant called CCN 76" in The Outer Worlds, Cain says. "Right before we certed the base game, I caught my lead designer—he tried to sneak in 'Tim Cain's White Chocolate Yummies' and I found it, because it was a piece of text."

Back to the Easter Egg."So I found the thing and I deleted it all. Unbeknownst to me, and I discovered this after we certed, he went to an artist and had them write that into the art. So you can't search for it and it's on a character that you were highly unlikely to kill. But he didn't know I was playing a game where I was killing everybody, because I wanted to make sure you could do that and it's fun. I killed that person and [saw it] and then I went to his office but it was too late, we had already certed. So it's in the game."

Ok I finally finished the game and my biggest problem is I really don't know why Tim Cain would think the white chocolate is hidden on a character you were so unlikely to kill? I mean it's
on Chairman Rockwell
who I immediately killed with a tossball stick after talking with him! Anway it was a really fun game!

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I think this is very true in general. Less free time, more old stuff you want to replay, less patience with mediocrity. In Outer Worlds' case though, I love sci-fi and first-person exploration enough to have enjoyed playing it despite the mediocrity. In another cases though, like Red Dead 2 or Wolfenstein Young Blood, where it's much less "my thing," I bounce off them pretty quickly.

HarveyBirdman

Arbiter
I miss when games had good writing bros...

qsyxX0E.png
What an anticlimactic speech victory.
>You can't hold the west and the east
Who the fuck cares? The east is nothing but desert. And the Legate is a legate... surely he considered this military tactics 101 situation.

This is why Speech is almost always unbelievably stupid. Pure silver-tongued persuasion is but one weapon in a negotiator's arsenal.
You can't persuade a hyper-rationale negotiator without introducing new data. You needed to negotiate from a position of strength, and not from a position of "cadet's first day of class." A good [100] Speech option would require you collect the data necessary to change the legate's mind, and then allow you to present it persuasively.

Last edited:
This is why Speech is almost always unbelievably stupid. Pure silver-tongued persuasion is but one weapon in a negotiator's arsenal.
You can't persuade a hyper-rationale negotiator without introducing new data. You needed to negotiate from a position of strength, and not from a position of "cadet's first day of class." A good [100] Speech option would require you collect the data necessary to change the legate's mind, and then allow you to present it persuasively.

I always felt like RPGs should make speech into a gameplay element like combat or exploration, by introducing intelligence gathering and analysis elements into it. For instance, you would be able to ask NPCs about other NPCs, and from their replies, put together an image of a particular NPC (what they like, what they hate, their strong and weak points, beliefs, past). Using this image, you would be able to select more appropriate dialogue options and "manipulate" them better. Or, as you are saying above, collect enough information from the world in one way or another to create some logical construct that would convince an NPC to do something. Basically make speech into gameplay instead of simple skill checks or a guessing game.

Vorark

Erudite
I always felt like RPGs should make speech into a gameplay element like combat or exploration, by introducing intelligence gathering and analysis elements into it.

Reminds me of a NWN2 sidequest in which you analyzed a contract some dude made with a demon and you had to find a loophole to void it. You interviewed all interested parties and then read the contract itself to find clues. Unfortunately there was no failed state since you could brute force the solution, ie. choose all availale dialogue options until only the correct one remained.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom