Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Haven't got my hands on this yet, but I'm noticing nobody is comparing this game to KotOR2. Combat and first-person perspective aside, I thought it was supposed to be structured more like KotOR2 than New Vegas.

Tigranes

Arcane
Haven't got my hands on this yet, but I'm noticing nobody is comparing this game to KotOR2. Combat and first-person perspective aside, I thought it was supposed to be structured more like KotOR2 than New Vegas.

Well, KOTOR2 would be a thoroughly mediocre, forgettable, by-the-book hit-the-numbers CRPG with soupy pointless combat, if not for quality writing by Avellone et al.

So maybe you're right!

Codex Year of the Donut
So, how bad is the SJW infestation? So far my impression is that between the writing and forced epic/microsoft stores, I can safely ignore this one.
It's surprisingly pretty ignoreable.

6kS1XSZ.jpg
I have to wonder if you guys are ESLs because that's not the first thing a native English speaker thinks of when reading that line.

Mojobeard

Augur
This time no fakenews. I've actually had some sleep and time to test things.
Problem is that after removing all the effects, you're left with the horrible TAA, and terrible draw distance/pop-up. Though you can change the TAA to FXAA with "r.DefaultFeature.AntiAliasing=1" (2 is TAA, 0 is off), I felt it either looked even blurrier, or that it plain didn't do anything, so I ended up just decreasing the strength of TAA. And these draw distance changes are pretty modest, but they eat a lot of resources, and it's still way better than what's in the original game. There's also some anisotropic filtering.

So, to Engine.ini in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\PrivateDivision.TheOuterWorldsWindows10_hv3d7yfbgr2rp\LocalCache\Local\Indiana\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

[SystemSettings]
r.PostProcessAAQuality=2
r.MotionBlur.Max=0
r.MotionBlurQuality=0
r.DefaultFeature.MotionBlur=0
r.SceneColorFringe.Max=0
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.MaxAnisotropy=8
r.ViewDistanceScale=1.5
r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=-2
r.MipMapLodBias=-1
foliage.LODDistanceScale=2
r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0.35
r.LensFlareQuality=0
r.DefaultFeature.LensFlare=0
r.DefaultFeature.Bloom=0
r.BloomQuality=0
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=0

:negative:No matter what, it's a game that's built with all the popamole effects in mind, so when you remove them, it doesn't look that great either. But these changes might save your eyes a little.

Last edited:

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are the old masters really ALL complete burnouts?
The thing with that is that they got too comfortable and fat living a life devoid of issues, and they really have nothing to talk about or comment on. Trying to comment on anything whatsoever leads to pale replicas of their younger days, and they certainly don't consume enough art in general to be able to be creative for creativity's sake.

Nah, I think it’s more that experience teaches you how to avoid fucking up and that’s what Tim and Leonard did. They wanted to deliver a product that was much more polished than anything they’d made before, so they scaled back their ambition and took far fewer risks. Plus, they went much more commercial, trying to create a game that would appeal to the broadest possible audience—that’s guaranteed to produce niche butthurt.

Roguey it’s better than Greedfall, no question. The thing is, consciously or unconsciously, we all judge these games on a curve. Nobody expects something great from Spiders; nobody even conceives of something great from Spiders. But it’s easy to imagine Cain and Boyarsky making something great—they’ve got four great titles under their belt.

When Spiders makes another barebones ARPG that’s kinda okay if you’re into that sort of thing, they don’t really disappoint anyone. When Cainarsky make a decent but not great ARPG, it’s a letdown because it feels like a major missed opportunity.

Codex Year of the Donut
Roguey it’s better than Greedfall, no question. The thing is, consciously or unconsciously, we all judge these games on a curve. Nobody expects something great from Spiders; nobody even conceives of something great from Spiders. But it’s easy to imagine Cain and Boyarsky making something great—they’ve got four great titles under their belt.
The game isn't a product of two people. It's blatantly obvious they let the newer employees work on large portions of the game and it shows.

DeepOcean

Arcane
This comparison with New Vegas people are making sound so superficial for me, Fallout 3 was also similar to New Vegas, so, obviously it isn't basic gameplay people are referring to by this comparison as New Vegas played like a mod for Fallout 3. Is the worldbuilding and quest structure then? A game can have multiple quests with multiple choice but quest structure and C&C alone cannot turn mediocre content into interesting content.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
:negative:No matter what, it's a game that's built with all the popamole effects in mind, so when you remove them, it doesn't look that great either. But these changes might save your eyes a little.

I've tried everything, spent almost an hour mixing up different settings. It's either blurry and smudgy or sharp with horrible jagged edges and flickering everywhere.

I actually WOULD play it much more, despite the vegan writing, but I literally can't go on for health concerns. Had to put the game down like a poor, sad, mangy runt.

Quillon

Arcane
This time no fakenews. I've actually had some sleep and time to test things.
Problem is that after removing all the effects, you're left with the horrible TAA, and terrible draw distance/pop-up. Though you can change the TAA to FXAA with "r.DefaultFeature.AntiAliasing=1" (2 is TAA, 0 is off), I felt it either looked even blurrier, or that it plain didn't do anything, so I ended up just decreasing the strength of TAA. And these draw distance changes are pretty modest, but they eat a lot of resources, and it's still way better than what's in the original game. There's also some anisotropic filtering.

So, to Engine.ini in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\PrivateDivision.TheOuterWorldsWindows10_hv3d7yfbgr2rp\LocalCache\Local\Indiana\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

[SystemSettings]
r.PostProcessAAQuality=2
r.MotionBlur.Max=0
r.MotionBlurQuality=0
r.DefaultFeature.MotionBlur=0
r.SceneColorFringe.Max=0
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.MaxAnisotropy=8
r.ViewDistanceScale=1.5
r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=-2
r.MipMapLodBias=-1
foliage.LODDistanceScale=2
r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0.35
r.LensFlareQuality=0
r.DefaultFeature.LensFlare=0
r.DefaultFeature.Bloom=0
r.BloomQuality=0

Convos become shitty with background glaring at you and that artificial light from the right becoming too apparent without DOF so I leave it out of these edits, I don't see its effect outside of convos anyway.

Codex Year of the Donut
This comparison with New Vegas people are making sound so superficial for me, Fallout 3 was also similar to New Vegas, so, obviously it isn't basic gameplay people are referring to by this comparison as New Vegas played like a mod for Fallout 3. Is the worldbuilding and quest structure then? A game can have multiple quests with multiple choice but quest structure and C&C alone cannot turn mediocre content into interesting content.
It's not much like New Vegas at all.
If anything, I'd say it's closer to Mass Effect with a more open world.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Roguey it’s better than Greedfall, no question.

Goddamn I see I'll have to buy this game just to see for myself. From what I saw on YT the writing was way less hateful in Greedfall plus the engine and art style didn't try to gouge my eyes.

Too bad MShit doesn't offer this with their 1 dorra Xbox Pass too, that would be perfect.

Codex Year of the Donut
Talking with Parvati/doing her quest I never got all that stupid apandered sexuality vibe from it. I thought she just had autism or something. She shows a bunch of symptoms a high functioning autistic person would show.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is quite ironic how a game about evul corporations have like 10 corporate,unskipable logos. Did anyone know where they are so i could delete them? It is really annoying.

DeepOcean

Arcane
When Spiders makes another barebones ARPG that’s kinda okay if you’re into that sort of thing, they don’t really disappoint anyone. When Cainarsky make a decent but not great ARPG, it’s a letdown because it feels like a major missed opportunity.
There is the element of expectations no doubt but I dunno if I'm getting too old and I don't enjoy games as I used to but I really feel I'm wasting my time when I play a game where I don't find anything great or thought provoking about it. You get aware of your time as you get older and all those 40 to 100hs games without something above average to hook you up waste time that I would prefer to use on something else or even another game. I will see when I get to play this and discover if this have something to hook me up or it is the everything is shiet codex meme attacking again. If this thread is dead on a few months and people aren't discussing about esoteric stuff about the game, that is a bad sign.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

I don't think anyone is far enough to say anything about quest structure. Some of the early starters could have gotten far enough, but they're probably hiding in a cave from all the aggressive lesbians.

Cross

Arcane
Are the old masters really ALL complete burnouts?
The thing with that is that they got too comfortable and fat living a life devoid of issues, and they really have nothing to talk about or comment on. Trying to comment on anything whatsoever leads to pale replicas of their younger days, and they certainly don't consume enough art in general to be able to be creative for creativity's sake.

Nah, I think it’s more that experience teaches you how to avoid fucking up and that’s what Tim and Leonard did. They wanted to deliver a product that was much more polished than anything they’d made before, so they scaled back their ambition and took far fewer risks. Plus, they went much more commercial, trying to create a game that would appeal to the broadest possible audience—that’s guaranteed to produce niche butthurt.
This isn't a very convincing argument. Competent writing, art direction that doesn't make you want to gouge out your eyes and gunplay that feels good aren't things that require investing additional resources or taking the risk of delivering an unpolsihed, buggy game. In fact, Cain and Boyarsky managed the first two for Bloodlines despite working with an unfinished engine and having no prior experience making 3D games.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

At least Basedfall has suggestive themes and partial nudity. :M https://www.esrb.org/ratings/36395/Greedfall/

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Carpel Tunnel Syndrome intensifies from clicking and picking up all the fucking loot this game throws at you. My OCD will simply not allow me to pass a full canister of suweet LEWT.

New Vegas was exactly the same in this regard.. but man, gimme a fucking break duude.

Done Rosewater, and uhhmmm, yeah I hope the story changes gear soon, otherwise it's gonna be quite a bland mixed bag

Terenty

Liturgist
The tolerant forum is jeezing itself to oblivion from this game

Well played Obsidian

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom