Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X The Unsurpassed Brian Reynolds' Alpha Centauri thread

Favorite Faction?

• Total voters

Silva

Arcane
Don't be afraid to use governors, specially for the least important cities.

And if you play Yang, play it right and nerve staple the shit out of your drones.

Absinthe

Arcane
Silva, with Lal's easy Golden Ages he can run Wealth and enjoy +2 ECON (and +1 INDUSTRY) without bothering with Free Market. And since morale is bugged, spamming Children's Creches (which also covers that -1 EFFIC penalty) actually causes lower morale to improve base defense. He also obtains Planetary Governorship easily with his double votes and higher pop caps, so he enjoys free infiltrators and extra commerce.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
Silva, with Lal's easy Golden Ages he can run Wealth and enjoy +2 ECON (and +1 INDUSTRY) without bothering with Free Market. And since morale is bugged, spamming Children's Creches (which also covers that -1 EFFIC penalty) actually causes lower morale to improve base defense. He also obtains Planetary Governorship easily with his double votes and higher pop caps, so he enjoys free infiltrators and extra commerce.
Your little nice words wont get you anywhere, "Brother" Lal. By now everybody knows youre just a mealy-mouthed hypocrite who pretends to help others while infiltrating their colonies and building planet busters behind their backs. So fuck off.

Silva

Arcane
Game report:

Playing SMAX with Datajack Roze (Im a bitch for covert ops) and having such a nice game. After a rough beginning of getting bullied by the Drones, I managed to build a 7-city stronghold and my neighbours stopped pestering me (didnt start near any aliens, luckly). The interesting fact is: Fast forward a hundred turns and all humans are in a coalition agains the Usurpers. Captain is leading the charge on the front together with support of the bazillion Drones armies, while Im turtled on the back providing covert-ops support with my elite probe teams: some enemy troops subverted here, a rioting incited there, some mind-controlled cities over there - which I immediately cede to one of my allies on the front - , the ocasional tech stolen which I - again - share to my allies, etc. Im free market and democratic at the moment, so I have enough money to fuel this covert campaign, as long as I dont send actual troops outsied my territory, otherwise my cities riot agressively.

I dont know what will happen when we exterminate the Usurpers, probrably the coalition will break and the Drones will start bullying me again. But whatever. This "scenario" Im in right now hapenned so organically and fulfilled my Sam Fisher-Solid Snake-Garrety-Starcraft Ghost-Badass Covert Ops LARPing so wonderfully that I dont care if I lose the game after that.

This combined orchestration between player and AIs - with the player fielding a role so subtle as covert ops - is the kind of experience I rarely get in other games. In the end of day, there are games with smarter AIs, better interfaces, or better gfx. But none give me this kind of immersive, atmospheric, plausible, nuanced experience that SMAC does.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think one of the saddest facts of the SMAC community is that we never got that "modding truce" between Kyrub and Yitzi, where a SMAC-in-SMAX mode would be made, allowing us to essentially play vanilla SMAC with SMAX while still having the new additions and both Kyrub's superior AI and Yitzi's fine modding work available. It would be the closest thing to a Ultimate SMAC(X)
ITZ may yet happen in our lifetime. :M

http://alphacentauri2.info/index.php?topic=16785.125
kyrub said:
Based on the SMAC related activity on RPGcodex forums, I decided to port the AI patch to SMAX myself.

I use the 3.4 version of Yitzi's patch as the basis. I'll include a diff file with all changes and a slightly more detailed description of changes.
:salute:

kyrub

Augur
Yep, I am working on it. And RPGcodex mention is genuine. But let's not get carried away before it's done and at least partially working, which is usually a long way with AI changes.- The problem is, I am really non-familiar with SMAX.

If anyone wants to help, this is my post from ac2. Feel free to post your opinions.

---------------------------------------------
Right now, I could use some important information and assessment from experienced SMACX players.
1) How does the AI Pirate faction work with the new facilities with bonus resources, like Aquafarm, Trunkline, Traducer? Does it build them enough?

2) Are those facilities as desirable as Recycling tanks? Is there a general consensus, as to, in which part of the game one should build them? How much of a priority are they? What other conditions (base size, war status, energy or nutrient situation etc.) should one ponder, when thinking about building them? What should be avoided as a situation?

3) I am trying to implement (very very raw) triple AI strategical approach, as per the classic manual: Build, Momentum, mixed, based on the already present "AI_aggressivity" code in alphax.txt. Can you agree with one of these variants: "The AI in original SMACX is known to build generally such amount of buildings that it is probably closest to a (Build / Mixed / Momentum) game of a human player."

Thanks for any help or opinion.

Nevill

Arcane
1) How does the AI Pirate faction work with the new facilities with bonus resources, like Aquafarm, Trunkline, Traducer? Does it build them enough?
I don't see AI build much of anything. I'll try to pay more attention next time I'll play.

Svensgaard number 1 problem is efficiency. He can expand alright, but his bases don't produce much energy, and they are spread across vast distances. He is shafted with economies - - I don't think the seafaring AI can be taught to handle Free Market, Planned is suicidal for research, and Green leaves him with no growth unless he builds Children's Cheches.

2) Are those facilities as desirable as Recycling tanks?
NO. In fact, they are pretty poorly thought out, as is most of SMAX content. They are 1) too costly for the technology tier they occupy 2) don't affect resource restrictions 3) not very useful, as land terraforming is always superior to the sea one. I can see them being used in sea bases with no access to land tiles, but those have a very low mineral output, making building any structures - safe from basic necessities - a long and arfuous task.

They might be useful mid-game if you rush-buy them, though, but your money would be better spent on improving land bases.

They need to be two times cheaper, and I would still think twice about using them. There is simply no good reason to when anything else would be more efficient.

Although I admit to using Aquafarm on two occasions, when I was pop-booming and every point of food counted. That's two times out of 50 or so MP games.

3) I am trying to implement (very very raw) triple AI strategical approach, as per the classic manual: Build, Momentum, mixed, based on the already present "AI_aggressivity" code in alphax.txt. Can you agree with one of these variants: "The AI in original SMACX is known to build generally such amount of buildings that it is probably closest to a (Build / Mixed / Momentum) game of a human player."
There are different AIs. I have noticed that Miriam and sometimes Morgan/Gaia play the builder game, with Miriam dabbling into momentum and thus being more efficient. Yang is the most successful of AIs, and he plays more as a momentum player (don't bother with buildings, expand, expand, then expand some more, then swarm everything), but then his bonuses/civics support this kind of play.

Sparta plays pure momentum, but she foregoes expansion, and is usually wiped out pretty quickly.

kyrub

Augur
Svensgaard number 1 problem is efficiency. He can expand alright, but his bases don't produce much energy, and they are spread across vast distances. He is shafted with economies - - I don't think the seafaring AI can be taught to handle Free Market, Planned is suicidal for research, and Green leaves him with no growth unless he builds Children's Cheches.

Very interesting. I have inserted a negative check for MARKET in the BuildAShip process, but I think that is not enough for Pirates. They have ton naval units anyway, so the Social Engineering won't allow them the Market anyway. Maybe the compromise way is to let the Pirate AI build more Creches, to improve both their Planned and Green option. Not a great solution, but an improvement nonetheless.

NO. In fact, they are pretty poorly thought out, as is most of SMAX content. They are 1) too costly for the technology tier they occupy 2) don't affect resource restrictions 3) not very useful, as land terraforming is always superior to the sea one.
The tricky part is that terraforming land tiles of a nearby ocean base is very hard operation for the AI, unless it owns a base on that same continent. Sadly, projecting colonizing sea=> land seems really hard. The game was not built for this idea, it came only later with Svensgaard. AI thinks about colonizing other continents once its continent is nearly full. The sea is considered as a continent as a whole.. You see the outcome.

Although I admit to using Aquafarm on two occasions, when I was pop-booming and every point of food counted. That's two times out of 50 or so MP games.
This could actually help the AI as well for pop-booming.
It's good to know the state of fact about the facilities. I still think, the AI could use them more as, even if suboptimal, the optimal choices are too hard for the AI to reach. Or if you have any other idea about viable strategy...

There are different AIs. I have noticed that Miriam and sometimes Morgan/Gaia play the builder game, with Miriam dabbling into momentum and thus being more efficient. Yang is the most successful of AIs, and he plays more as a momentum player.
(Miriam for builder? I have not seen that one.)
I know it seems like what you say, but it is really not so programmed. The different AI approaches are a bit haphazard, they are influenced by the AI_wealth, AI_growth and AI_power variables (alpha.txt), and, of course, AI_aggr. It works so-so. For some AI, it fits (Yang!), for others, it sucks (University and co.). AI_growth feels like particularly poor and underdevelopped choice. What I would like to try, is to make AI_aggr a relaitvely simple measure of

- how many non-military buildings AI builds during peace times
- how many military units AI builds during peace times
- how risky the AI expands (this one is a doubt for me, expansion seems always good)
- how aggressive is the AI in diplomacy (that already works)

That way we can try games with builder Yang, momentum Morgan, or careful Sparta. It could bring some new fun and variety. I am not sure it will work, but I would like to try it.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
The tricky part is that terraforming land tiles of a nearby ocean base is very hard operation for the AI, unless it owns a base on that same continent. Sadly, projecting colonizing sea=> land seems really hard.
Hey, I just share my observations. You decide what to do with this.

I played with War/Research/Build/Expand faction priorities (what I think you refer to as AI_wealth, AI_growth and AI_power - I never dug up the code so I don't know how they are called), and in my experience AI can be 'taught' (encouraged, more likely) to go sea and be pretty efficient at it. Sea terraforming is very primitive, and thus easy to handle. You always build a kelp farm, and then you either build a mine or a harness. That's it. The kelp also spreads, making this even easier. I saw some very well terraformed AI bases. Food is plentiful, and the energy output is nothing to sneer at.

Thus these facilities might - might - be useful to an AI, somewhere mid-game, maybe in the 2200s.

Of course, the AI then kills itself with its Efficiency settings. Actually, I think it's one of the worst AI banes, right there with POLICE and SUPPORT. They are so bad at managing energy that I gave up and gave all AI a bonus of ++++EFFIC when playing with them. That, and a free Clean Reactor ability.

This could actually help the AI as well for pop-booming.
AI already prioritizes food far, far too much. It ends up with bloated bases full of drones it can't manage, sitting on a lot of farms and not producing anything of value.

It would be nice if it could be taught to evaluate resourses more rationally. I think your patch does this already... somewhat. A good indicator would be to place a borehole in the base vicinity and see how soon the AI would switch to it. It would be a better decision than most other tiles 90% of the time, unless the base is size 1 and needs to grow.

I have heard the AI prioritizes minerals mid-game and energy late-game, but I never get to see it. Then again, most of my games are won before 2250. Even with tech stagnation on and crawlers off, Transcendence can be achieved by 2300 without trying too hard.

(Miriam for builder? I have not seen that one.)
She builds a lot, I think, when she isn't at war. The latest PBEM we played with your patch, she seemed to neglect an army in favor of stuff like Energy Banks. With not a lot of energy to go around, too. :lol:

Maybe it was the jungles that were affecting her actions, though.

It works so-so.
Yup. It seems that you can assign similar priorities to two factions, and one would still fare better than the other. In fact, I can try and dissuade Yang from expansion, and he still fares better than a highly encouraged Morgan!

Maybe it's the 'personalities' tha affect the outcome, or something else that is hard-coded.

Last edited:

kyrub

Augur
She builds a lot, I think, when she isn't at war. The latest PBEM we played with your patch, she seemed to neglect an army in favor of stuff like Energy Banks.
Hehe. I have gone too far with Energy Banks in general.

It would be nice if it could be taught to evaluate resourses more rationally. I think your patch does this already...

Yes, there was a bug in resource placement, when a tile is without nutrients. all values are halved (rounded down) for AI. Plus one other ridiculous statement, a base should have at least same amount of extra nutrients as its size, otherwise suboptimal. Go imagine. (If the problems with too much nutrient emphasis persist, just inform me later. We can do a lot there, I was careful because we need those + nutrients for pop-booming.)

Other questions for other new buildings:
- Flechette defense? AI seems to put a lot of emphasis on it, on par with Tachyon field, blimey. Is it so important?
- Covert ops center, I have my doubts. Does it bring some improvement? I guess the the self-shooting of the AI probes is the major downside, no?
- Brood pit, any good for any faction?
- And what about those Subspace generator and Geosynchronous pod?

LBNL:
What are the major new SP projects for AI to pursue? Any SP specifically important to any factions?

Nim

Augur
- Covert ops center, I have my doubts. Does it bring some improvement? I guess the the self-shooting of the AI probes is the major downside, no?
Won't matter as long as AI probes regularly end their turn next to enemy units/bases.
Gaians. +2 police and cheaper native life is nice.

Nevill

Arcane
What are the major new SP projects for AI to pursue? Any SP specifically important to any factions?
Virtual World - University. Obviously.
Planetary Transit System - the project is simply broken for anyone who gets it. Morgan is weakest when it comes to pop, so he stands to benefit most from it, and it is on the way to Wealth, so...
Command Nexus - for Sparta and Yang. Brings Sparta closer to Elite units (Com Center + Power = elite, Fundy + Com Center + Monolith = elite) - only then they stand a chance in the game.
Ascetic Virtues - Might be important for Morgan for pop, though he can't normally use it's drone-reducing capabilities on Free Market (still, it may ease the strain).
Supercollider/Theory of everything - thematically appropriate to have the Uni pursue it, though they can't really make good use out of it.
Citizen's Defence Force - probably useless to Yang.
Cloning Vats - extremely broken. Any faction should grab it whenever possible.
Empath Guild - probably Data Angels. They receive any tech that is known by at least three factions they have Infiltration with. Although in practice I never see this ability coming into play.
Hunter-Seeker - Uni.

- Flechette defense? AI seems to put a lot of emphasis on it, on par with Tachyon field, blimey. Is it so important?
It protects from rockets and direct buster hits (this feature is bugged, though). I am not sure how important it is, but it is certainly 'nice to have'. Not a priority, though. It would be better to concentrate on a Tachyon Field.

What do you mean by 'self-shooting'?

Well, I had Miriam with -4 Planet build those in every base. You tell me if it's any good. +2 POLICE and cheaper wild life - I think at least Greener AIs need to give it a go.

- And what about those Subspace generator and Geosynchronous pod?
Never used those. Subspace Generator is an alien victory condition, no?

kyrub

Augur
Thanks!
The Flechette thing is overpriced in the code. As for probe teams (and, ehm, self-shooting), I meant what Nim has said just above, unless they are able to move more intelligently or actually defend their bases, any "improvement" with a facility is questionable. Pity.

How does the AI work against Drone riots?
I have just checked the code for Socio percents distribution and there seems to be a terrible mistake in consideration of riots. AI only checks one base for riots, instead of every one. That must be visible in the game, no? Also, there's no check for Pop booming and I think we can change it by putting there a default high percent for Socio for the short term. Maybe 50%, 60, or even 70%?

Nim

Augur
AI only checks one base for riots, instead of every one. That must be visible in the game, no?
This would explain a lot. Every once in a while I see AI bases that just riots for years, most visible with Uni bases.

Nevill

Arcane
How does the AI work against Drone riots?
It manages, though it does so terribly. It seems like it converts citizens to doctors/empaths if there is a riot and if there is enough food. Specialists would make for a better choice most of the time.

I have not seen a base riot for years, as Nim says, or at least, they do not do that often. Could there be another piece of the code that governs it?

The AI does not know of how to use Police SA on units, and it seems to try to solve its problems with allocating energy to Psych, which is one of the worst methods for underdeveloped bases. I have seen it investing as much as 60% in psych to quell drones, which to me sounds like a major overkill (and helps maybe one or two bases).

Free Market and pacifist drones are the worst offenders, facilities or psych do not affect those, so the AI is really bad at dealing with them.

Covert Ops center makes the base costlier to buy. It might even make it immune to Mind Control under Miriam or Fundy... if there are no more bugs in the code.

Last edited:

kyrub

Augur
Very helpful, again, thanks. These informations are pure gold to me, since I have not played the game for 5 years at least. The bug, sadly, seems to affect precisely that part that is not the place of the best solutions, allocation of energy. For now, I will probably simly cap the Psych allocation to 30% max, in general. Again, for short periods of brutal Pop booming (which AI is capable to do now), I suggest a 60% Psych rate. It's wasteful, but I don't see ho to avoid a wide damaging effect.

The police units can be repaired and used by AI, I am pretty sure about it. It is quite some work though, AI needs a lot of AAA defenders, some ECM defenders, trance is important in the SMAX as well... and police on top. Plus Clean reactor could be useful. It is hard to strike the balance without writing a huge code, if you understand me. But police units will be re-implemented, for sure. Probably as a second ability to AAA or trance. Better than nothing.

I have not studied the code for base specialists. That's another chunk of work. I guess it must wait for now, then I will probably need some more help and consultation.

As for pacifist drones, the 444 patch already makes a few steps towards less crippled AI. Firstly, the AI understands and rates the danger of pacifism drones in its choice of Social engineering. It will avoid or dissolve FM once the strain becomes too heavy. FM further discourages the building of offensive planes and vessels. That's about everything I was able to do, but the results are mildly positive, from my observation. AI can run a time-limitted FM with a limitted but visible success.

Nevill

Arcane
One of Yitzi's patch most welcome features was the option to mod which units produce pacifist drones and under what conditions. There were requests to have a separate mode specifically for the AI. If implemented, AI opponents could be set to not get a penalty for planes - or if one wants to, for any units at all.

I wonder if you are coding going by the vanilla rules (planes/ships cause drones, period), or if the code is more flexible.

Personally, I find it a big problem in SMAX that AIs who declare vendetta don't remain on FM even though they are not waging active wars. Even more aggravating is that they switch to Simple economy even when other options are available. If you are not running FM and Planned is too crippling for you, why not go Green?

The SE settings are actually a mystery. Never seen anyone but Yang run PState, never seen anyone but Zakharov (and sometimes Gaia) run Knowledge, Wealth is a very rare guest. Looks like AI preferences for the settings are messed up. I wonder how they choose what to run. Ideally, if we swap bonuses/penalties between FM and Green (and allow all civics to all factions) Morgan should run Green and Gaia should run Free Market, right?

Last edited:

kyrub

Augur
I wonder if you are coding going by the vanilla rules (planes/ships cause drones, period), or if the code is more flexible.
Obviously, I am going by the original + expansion rules.To say the truth, it is hard and it requires a lot of space to code flexible options for Computer players, I said it on ac2 formus from the beginning. If you want to improve the AI (with primitive tools like hex editing) and you face changing rules, your task gets exponentially bigger. What I see as a definite possibility, however, is to make adjustment for the AI for a typical set of rules, agreed and used by the community. It's not hard, I would just switch off parts of the AI code, maybe I would recode a few locations. I suggest making a "terranx.exe" file adjusted for a community set of rules.

Personally, I find it a big problem in SMAX that AIs who declare vendetta don't remain on FM even though they are not waging active wars. Even more aggravating is that they switch to Simple economy even when other options are available. If you are not running FM and Planned is too crippling for you, why not go Green?
I worked on both issues in the last version of the patch. AI did not value +PLANET at all, if it did not have massive EcoDamage or a "Psi,25" in faction.txt file (this was probably intended for Gaians as I find it in all the AI code, but it does not switch on). It should be better now and it can be further improved. I am quite sure I saw AIs with FM defending during a war in game simulations.

The SE settings are actually a mystery. Never seen anyone but Yand run PState, never seen anyone but Zakharov (and sometimes Gaia) run Knowledge, Wealth is a very rare guest. Looks like AI preferences for the settings are messed up. I wonder how they choose what to run. Ideally, if we swap bonuses/penalties between FM and Green (and allow all civics to all factions) Morgan should run Green and Gaia should run Free Market, right?
Some of these were tackled in the patch (I remember putting a lot more weigh to Wealth). The biggest problem was the overpricing of the + MORALE and +SUPPORT, and +GROWTH partially. I suggest you look again at the result after I post the patch and we talk about it further, I am open to a lot more improvement in the SE department. And yes, the AI always analyzes the values only. So if it runs SIMPLE instead of GREEN, it means that --GROWTH is too much of a penalty and it is not outweighed by ++PLANET and ++EFFI.

Other question, important:
Having not played SMAX factions - which one of them should regularly build worms in the base (from the AI perspective)? Under what circumstances?

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
The biggest problem was the overpricing of the MORALE and SUPPORT.
If SUPPORT is overpriced, shouldn't we see more Police States? Instead they run Fundy during wars and Democracy during peace time, almost exclusively so.

I can see what you mean by overpricing Morale - Power and Fundy are very popular among AIs.

So if it runs SIMPLE instead of GREEN, it means that --GROWTH is too much of a penalty and it is not outweighed by ++PLANET and ++EFFIC
Not caring about Planet I can understand, but EFFIC is what kills AIs, and they already have a major emphasis on food, so a little penalty should not hurt them too much. The importance of --GROWTH is definitely overstated - unless they somehow hit -3, that one I can at least understand.

Having not played SMAX factions - which one of them should regularly build worms in the base (from the AI perspective)? Under what circumstances?
That's an interesting question. At some point in my experiments with faction bonuses and custom units I have made every other AI build mind worms for some reason. I don't know what I did to cause such a behavior, and I can't reproduce it anymore. Did I make worms cheaper? I don't remember. But they were definitely preferring those over regular units.

Can you tell us what AI considers when it makes a decision?

Generally I don't think wild life is a good idea unless AI is behind in tech. 3 (Psi) to 2 (Psi) on defense is better than 8 (String weaponry) to 3 (Plasma Steel armor). However, they are inferior defenders, and they are too costly at 50 minerals.

Perhaps if the faction who is at war with AI runs Free Market, they can be effective. Otherwise 1-(latest armor)-1 units are preferrable.

Cha Dawn gets police bonuses from Mind Worms. He has the incentive to do this. For any other faction they are too situational.

From one of my PBEM games I remember playing as Miriam on Free Market and Wealth. I cound not run Green or Planned - I was too dependent on the income to afford a switch when I am not at war, I could not run Power - the INDUSTRY would kill me. So I was pretty much locked in my SE settings. That's where I found that regular military with --MORALE may be worse than wild life with tons of Lyfecicles that do not require support when stationed in Fungus. I had every ecology facility built, and I was churning Great Boil Locusts every other turn. They do not produce pacifist drones (interceptors), and if I wished to go to war I would only need to switch to Green, and the Lyfecycle bonuses would do the rest. But you probably can't make the AI plan for that.

Last edited:

kyrub

Augur
If SUPPORT is overpriced, shouldn't we see more Police States? Instead they run Fundy during wars and Democracy during peace time, almost exclusively so.
I think I got that wrong. They simply count support minerals. Similar with effiency, they count the energy saved. They don't care about bureacracy drones, I think. With morale, they quantified the combat units, per base... and since the units number grows with time and AI likes to churn many units, MORALE becomes the overwhelming choice.

The importance of --GROWTH is definitely overstated - unless they somehow hit -3, that I can understand.
I changed the approach to GROWTH a bit, if I recall, putting emphasis on Growth = 6, or Growth =4-5 + Creches to enahnce pop-booming at some stage. I may tone it down further and add the Growth=-3 line.

Native life
Can you tell us what AI considers when it makes a decision?
The unit price is a factor in all AI decisions, if you changed that, it surely helped. Other things, I would have to look up, maybe later.
I asked because of Biology LAB, to see if its useful. Worms as defenders, that is unlikely to work well with current AI movement. Not very good looking.

I dislike the general SMAC design, with worms being not good enough. Fungus focus not good enough, worms as well... I wish there were other factors that improve their combat during the game, at least similar to fungus which becomes better with extra technologies, although too late. And if even Cha Dawn with free Brood Pits, +PLANET, is not the good choice for worm attackers, that is underwhelming. What about the Native factions? What do they build?

Nevill

Arcane
I asked because of Biology LAB, to see if its useful.
It is, if AI can be taught to spam bases. Its +2 research bonus, even though it looks insignificant, should not be underestimated. Could work well for Yang, for example.

I am mass-building those in one of my current PBEMs, and I have no intention to build worms. I just have 20+ bases that are starved for energy, and my research output is some measly 50 techpoints per turn. A biology lab in every base would almost double it.

And if even Cha Dawn with free Brood Pits, +PLANET, is not the good choice for worm attackers, that is underwhelming.
Reduce their cost to 3 mineral rows, and suddenly they are a pretty decent unit. Still situational, but worthwhile. That is a work for modders, though.

What about the Native factions? What do they build?
Scout patrols. :negative:

No, really. It's like they do not know what armor is. Any AI should be taught to learn High Energy Chemistry before 2150.

kyrub

Augur
It is, if AI can be taught to spam bases. Its +2 research bonus, even though it looks insignificant, should not be underestimated. Could work well for Yang, for example.
I quite like the idea, I reworked them for AI bases with lack of Energy output.

Reduce their cost to 3 mineral rows, and suddenly they are a pretty decent unit. Still situational, but worthwhile. That is a work for modders, though.
Yep. Maybe things like this could make it into a community driven patch, then we would make the AI build less worms.

Scout patrols.
Hey, I remember this from my first and last game on SMAX, the moment when I realized that natives build normal scout patrols. It felt so wrong, thematically.

Nevill

Arcane
Eh, I meant that this is a tendency that is common among all factions. Even when AI has better armor available they still keep scout patrols as guards. This behavior persists in your SMAC patch, too.

I think Dakasha described it best back in the 444 thread:
Kyrub the only problem I see with your patch (I'm not really sure if it was a vanilla problem), is that the AI doesnt defend their cities worth a shit. 1, 2 and at the very most 4 units per city (Which isnt horrible but its reserved for capitals etc). Some with no defense at all.

I did a lot of testing by letting the AI duke it out on their own for about 200+ turns, and it seems to be a problem every game.

I havent tested this newest version, but unless the AI builds more units based on a better economy, I doubt it would change much

edit: And I have no idea how I missed the part about buying less probes. Maybe that will have an effect. Testing now :salute:

edit2: seemed a bit better after running about 3 games. Capitals were sometimes fully stocked. Still, it seemed like the cities were way to weak, in some cases being garrisoned by a single 1-1-1 scout unit at year 2300.
Looks like a vanilla problem.

kyrub

Augur
Is the problem the numbers of defenders or the pure fact they persist with 1-1-1? Or both?

AI has 1 + (2 + SPs)/3 + (size + 1)/4 + other modifiers as an ideal defender measure for its base.
modifiers [Headquarters get +1. Colonization phase get -1. Support <-2 get -1, support -4 get further -1+ nearby offenders +1.] Maximum 10 defenders (I decreased that seriously).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom