Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline The Valkyria Chronicles Thread

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Vaarna_Aarne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    So more or less they are going to compete with their own divisions.

Sounds like Sega.

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  2. omega21 Prophet

omega21
    That video

what the fuck, what's "Valkyria" about this? Selvaria Bles?

^ Top  
  3. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
    Why is she alive again?

^ Top  
  4. WhiskeyWolf RPG Codex Polish Car Thief Patron

WhiskeyWolf
    She isn't. That's not her.

^ Top  
  5. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Just completed the Batomys mission. Selvaria beats you black and blue if you get into a fight with her, but once I realised she can't see you if you hide your troops away, the mission became pretty easy.

^ Top  
  6. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
  7. TigerKnee Prophet

TigerKnee
    :codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

^ Top  
  8. Kefka1134 Guest

Kefka1134
    Yeah I had a question mark there, it certainly seems like someone took inspiration from her marvelous mams.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. DwarvenFood Arcane Patron

DwarvenFood
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    So hey, I finally finished the game (1) - did only the mandatory missions. What got me thinking though, the whole concentration camp stuff, where was that, it's on Gallian territory right ? And how long has the war been going on when the squad gets there ? Doesn't it seem probable that the camp was already there before the invasion ?

^ Top  
  10. Adon Prophet

Adon
    http://www.siliconera.com/2015/11/2...on-perma-deaths-difficulty-and-upcoming-demo/

^ Top  
  11. dukeofwhales Arbiter

dukeofwhales
    Guys, is this game significantly improved by being on PC, or is it still consolised? I'm inclined to wait for the PS4 remaster if it's a bad PC port, but it's only $7 on steam at the moment.

^ Top  
  12. Shammy Learned

Shammy
    The port is actually pretty solid, imo, but you really should be playing with a controller for this game.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. BlackAdderBG Arcane Patron

BlackAdderBG
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Game is easily played with m+k,in battle is way better with mouse duh it has aiming after all.Fuking console trash,should redirect jrpg forum to negaf or some other shithole

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Kjaska Learned

Kjaska
    It's not a bad port. PS4 version will probably cost 30bux, if they do a remaster. There is also no guarantee that they won't fuck something up during the remaster (see Windwaker HD, for example).

^ Top  
  15. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Still playing VC1. Around mission 7 I was thinking the game was getting too easy. Just shoot enemies in the face and send in Alicia to take their camps. Then the missions suddenly got a lot harder, with time limits and additional spawns.

I am also starting to enjoy the story, not as cringey Japanese as I thought it would be. The cutscenes look terrible, because they are low res, have the white canvas and the blurry shit which can be removed for gameplay and engine 'talkie' cutscenes, but not the pre-rendered ones, but I can deal.

Edit: Anyone who says you should play this with a controller should be given a dumbfuck tag automatically. The game demands M&KB for aiming and movement precision.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    ^ Top  
  16. Shammy Learned

Shammy
    Game is perfectly playable with a Controller. Had no problem with it on PS3 and on PC with an Xbone controller.

Glad you're enjoying the game though! It does kinda spike in difficulty but it's definitely a welcome transition, considering those first few missions are piss easy.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean
    Oh, I'm sure it is perfectly playable on a controller, but those of us playing it on PC have the advantage of using a mouse and keyboard, and they are much better to use for this game. Maybe not in the menus, but definitely in core gameplay because so much of it depends on precision - precision in aiming, and precision in movement.

^ Top  
  18. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    What the hell you are smoking. Analog movement is more precise than WSAD, mouse is more precise but game isn't fps. Game stops time you take you time to target places you want to hit (analog for fast, dpad for finetuning if you want) and time starts.

It's good that game doesn't have shitty k+m support like many other games made for consoles but i don't think VC is game that would give you anything more with k+m than controller.

^ Top  
  19. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean
    That is strange, because enemies seem to be able to keep firing at me even during my own turn - so being able to quickly get into aim mode and blast them in the face is important, and I would hate to do it with a controller.

^ Top  
  20. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    yes but once you press fire button time completely stops and you can take as much time as you want targeting enemies.

As for movement. Frankly speaking i would love to see PC games using analog movement instead of crap digital WSAD. Fine tuning your aim via slight movement is superior to correction you make with changing camera view.

Analog movement + mouse for camera targeting is top tier stuff that should be in every FPS on pc. Unfortunetely usually games don't allow to use pad and mouse at the same time.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    So my major question about the new game (a prequel that takes place 100 years in the past) is why technology was way more advanced (with quad--pedal mobile suits) in the past than it is in the setting's present (with tanks)?

... why does the princess character have magical songs? Wait, why is the country's princess on the battlefield at all? And shouldn't she at least be wearing ceremonial military dress of some sort if she's going to be in a war zone?

^ Top  
  22. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    Weren't the Valkyrur the most technologically advanced society?

It's a setting that in the first game established that magical anime girls are this world's equivalent of atomic warfare, I don't think coherent world building was ever much of a priority.

^ Top  
  23. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    There was in the first game. Isara claimed she was constantly maintaining/upgrading the Edelweiss so that it would be up to Europa 1930s technological standards, and the development of air flight corresponds loosely to real world proxies.

Also, one element of the fantastic (Valkyria) doesn't explain why now it is established princesses roam the battlefield in their state dress while practicing the bardic arts.

Not to mention that the development of those guns make it look like there wasn't much progress between Europa 1800s and Europa 1930s. If anything the 1930s look more primitive.

^ Top  
  24. Shammy Learned

Shammy
    Japanese narrative design is rarely a cohesive package, so the best answer is 'Japan'.

just let the weeaboo take control dont think let the primal urges surge

^ Top  
  25. WhiskeyWolf RPG Codex Polish Car Thief Patron

WhiskeyWolf
    First-fucking-off a Gallian princess would be Darcsen, and this one is clearly not.
    Second off, at least the first VC had the decency to cloud the Valkyrur in myth, as well as their disappearance that clearly included a gigantic (space-)ship they left on without outright stating it. That already puts it miles ahead of 95% of JRPGs lore wise.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)