Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry The Wizardry Series Thread

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
I'm playing Wizardry 1 (DOS Wizardry Archives version). A character just became "Lost" after a level up. Anyone ever seen this? WTF happened?

Viata

Arcane
I'm playing Wizardry 1 (DOS Wizardry Archives version). A character just became "Lost" after a level up. Anyone ever seen this? WTF happened?
He got stronger and was tired of so much bullshit on your party he left you behind.
But yeah, a character can get lost and you need to inspect an area to find him. If it says the character is closer, it means that he is not behind any door you may have to open to find him. What I mean is that inspect an area only tells a character is close if he is not behind doors.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
When resurrecring a character there's a chance it will backifire and him turning to Ashes. You can still try to Resurrect him, at a lower chance, but a second failure makes the character Lost.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
When resurrecring a character there's a chance it will backifire and him turning to Ashes. You can still try to Resurrect him, at a lower chance, but a second failure makes the character Lost.

He didn't die. He went straight to "Lost" after levelling up. I have never seen this before. Maybe his stats were so garbage he just imploded?

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
That can happen. A character's stats can randomly decrease on level-up, and if Vitality drops below 3 I think the character is gone.

Viata

Arcane
Inspecting an area
You may inspect your current location by pressing I. Inspecting lets you look around for any characters who may be dead, or simply lost, and were left at that location. They do not appear on the display, so you must inspect an area in order to find them. In order to find lost characters, you must be close enough to them that you could walk to them without opening a door. Once you find them, you may add them to your party, but you must have enough room for them before you are filled to the maximum capacity of six characters.

That never happened to me, though. They only were lost at the resurrect part, not level up.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Despite all my criticisms above, I am still going to play it again, because it is still Wizardry, and also I am interested this time to play the DLC dungeons which are supposed to be more tricky. Also, I did hear rumours that if they sell well with this one, they make look at the Busin / Foresaken Land Wizardry next, which looks like a really good game.

Is that thing released already ? Or did you play the jap version ?

Ysaye

Arbiter
Despite all my criticisms above, I am still going to play it again, because it is still Wizardry, and also I am interested this time to play the DLC dungeons which are supposed to be more tricky. Also, I did hear rumours that if they sell well with this one, they make look at the Busin / Foresaken Land Wizardry next, which looks like a really good game.

Is that thing released already ? Or did you play the jap version ?

It was previously on the iOX (for Ipad or Iphone) with the xseed translation back 6-7 years ago until a version update resulted in it not working.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
So I finished this fucker, old Wedna didn't stand a chance

end.jpg

It's a shame you don't get to keep the amulet if you go back to town.

And to those who think 18 is the max stats, check this out.

thief.jpg

Bug maybe?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
NOTE: The misspellings of Wizardry and the like are because it was a japanese fan site.

zWizardryTrueWordsOfPower3.png
zWizardryTrueWordsOfPower4.png

...I will forever despise Bradley for doing away with all of this greatness. Thank God that the japanese knew gold when they saw it and preserved it and built upon it.

zWizardryTrueWordsOfPower1.png

zWizardryTrueWordsOfPower2.png

DU = 'Know', MA = 'Wide and far', PIC = Space, place, clothes...
Du-ma-pic = spell that invokes player location into the mind of the caster.

KA = 'Sleep', TI = 'Stop', NO = Words and mind...
Ka-ti-no = spell that stops words and minds via sleep.

MA prefix (wide and far) denotes a spell that is amplified to cover a larger area, such as MA-ha-li-to.

FUCK I LOVE WIZARDRY SPELLS!

Last edited:

howlingFantods

Learned
It also indicates that stats decreasing is indeed a bug and not a feature.

According to this http://datadrivengamer.blogspot.com/2019/08/the-not-so-basic-mechanics-of-wizardry.html
stats decreasing is an intentional feature
Leveling up
When you level up, each stat has a 75% to change.

If a stat changes, there is an (AgeInYears/130) chance that it decreases by 1 point. Otherwise, it increases by 1 point.

If a stat would decrease from 18 to 17, there is a 5/6 chance that it will stay at 18 anyway.

If a stat would increase from 18 to 19, then it will stay at 18 instead.

Although, it does say that--in order to get this info--some guy "reverse-engineered" the Wizardry code and I'm not exactly sure what that means in this context (maybe because I don't code).

newtmonkey

Arcane
He is discussing the Apple II version there, which does not have the bug. The issue seems to be with the PC/DOS port of Wizardry.

The WhereAreWe helper application monitors values in memory for Wizardry, and gives the following information for what happens when you gain a level in the DOS versions of Wiz 1-3:

For any stat with a score of 18:
6% chance of dropping a point
94% chance of staying the same
For any stat below 18:
37.9% chance of gaining a point
37.1% chance of dropping a point
25% chance of staying the same

Last edited:

gman42

Scholar
The DOS version of W1 that I had as a kid was pretty much identical to the old Apple II version interface-wise (maze/monster pic only in that tiny upper left window, keyboard options always shown, etc.) and also didn't seem to have that bug, I'm guessing it appeared later on.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Any ideas for some wonky party build for Wiz 8?

Completed it long time ago with pretty optimal party, and even on expert it was a cakewalk.
It was something like that:

1. dracon warrior
2. dracon warrior (or kitty rogue, can't remember, not much of a difference though)
3. human melee bard (with all the bard gear and bloodlust she was a powerhouse, not to mention being able to cast high lvl haste at the beginning of each fight)
4. human valkyrie
5. elf bishop (psionic/wizardry)
6. elf bishop (alchemy/divinity)

Once the high speed bishops could cast element and soul shield in the first round, none of the casters could touch me. Front liners hit hard as fuck, so melee mobs weren't a problem neither.

Gimme some fun and challenging build plx.
Was thinking about not taking a bard/take pure casters instead of bishops/limit the party size to 4 or 5. Dunno.

jackofshadows

Magister
You can form somewhat oneshot party, like ninja, samurai, ranger, take gadgeteer as a support (since he automatically gets wep with %kill as well) instead of a bard and complete with priest/bishop, alchemist/bishop, lord (switch from prist)/bishop or something like that.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
For wonky parties I always recommend oriental smackdown: Sammy, monkor, 4x ninjas with different weapons (I used polearm, throwing, flail, bow).

The party is insanely snowbally - the start can be very rough, it'll take you a while to get good class-related gear, and you'll be deprived of a number of persistent spells (outside scrolls), but once it gets going, hoooooo boy. I'm talking rapax castle mobs cleared out in 1 turn because of constant critting. The fun thing about it is that the critstrike bonanza never gets old, you just keep laughing all the way to the bank as you one-hit-kill lawnmow every map after a certain point.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I'm not an expert on old wizardry games and I haven't read the whole thread, so it may have already been posted, but I recently found this :

It's cool enough and might interest some of you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom